Unfortunately, I'm 4 hours away from every Grado I own. I need to get back to Atlanta to grab a few pairs so I can take some measurements.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 4/18/15 at 12:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 7/30/15 at 12:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
**Disclaimer: I received the M3 from FiiO in return for my honest review** I have been watching FiiO's product line-up for quite some time. I've played with the X1 DAP owned by a friend and...
At the time this review was written the iBasso D14 Bushmaster DAC/Amplifier was for sale on Penon Audio’s website. Here is a link to iBasso’s product page display, and also a listing on Penon...
I've owned this for about 6 months when I bought it direct from China. As a 68 year old it took me back to a time when I used to go to live concerts. But there were hidden costs involved. Firstly...
I`ve had the ATH-A900 LTD in 10 years and they still play very well indeed! I checked out the sound quality this week against the best they had in our local hi-fi store and the ones I heard wasn`t...
BRIEF SUMMARY The HD800 has always been my goal ever since I started on my audio journey 5 years ago, but I was into portable audio back then and the price of the HD800 were fairly expensive so...
post your grado mods.... - Page 289post #4321 of 725911/13/13 at 8:02pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #4322 of 725911/13/13 at 8:05pmpost #4323 of 725911/13/13 at 8:07pmpost #4324 of 725911/13/13 at 8:07pmpost #4325 of 725911/13/13 at 8:20pm
It sort of works like a drum clamp. If you look closely you can see a few slots through the aluminum pieces. What I imagine is that you put the arches around the cup....squeeze them together and then tighten the screw passing through all of them. Basically friction between the aluminum pieces and the wood would hold the cups in place.
Would it be enough friction? I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure it would work well. The friction coefficient changes depending on the cup material and finish. With a high enough coefficient it's not going to move. Some rubber trim on the edges of what I'm calling the "arches" would do the trick for sure. Just need to source some trim that'll work.
I'm debating adding a thumbscrew type tensioning system (almost like a hose clamp) to the design, but it would be very easy to crack wood cups with this sort of system....
Edited by jonbmet - 11/13/13 at 8:26pmpost #4326 of 725911/13/13 at 10:41pm
The design looks good. There was an item that I noticed, which is something I normally look for in a head band as most offer the feature. There is usually an ability to slightly swivel the cups as they are mounted on the headband a few degrees either way. Since our head shapes and ear angles are all different, this done to allow that small, precise adjustments for fit and allow for greater comfort. In the image below, I've added some green arrows the designate the slight swivel capability.post #4327 of 725911/13/13 at 11:59pmpost #4328 of 725911/14/13 at 12:12ampost #4329 of 725911/14/13 at 3:45amI think I have a way of adding swivel like you've described. Let me brainstorm it today. If you can recommend some headphones that do what your describing well that would help too.post #4330 of 725911/14/13 at 4:40amQuote:Originally Posted by wje
The design looks good. There was an item that I noticed, which is something I normally look for in a head band as most offer the feature. There is usually an ability to slightly swivel the cups as they are mounted on the headband a few degrees either way. Since our head shapes and ear angles are all different, this done to allow that small, precise adjustments for fit and allow for greater comfort. In the image below, I've added some green arrows the designate the slight swivel capability.
In addition to lateral swivel capability, vertical swivel is also important. For example, I had an ATH-W3000anv and ATH-W1000X on loan for a while. They swivel from side to side but they do not swivel vertically. I could never get a complete seal because the pads would not conform to the shape of my head, leaving a gap at the bottom of each ear pad. This resulted in discomfort and loss of bass.post #4331 of 725911/14/13 at 1:24pmFull swiveling is indeed essential. It is what makes the GRADO design time honored, simple yet elegant. The simplicity is the key ingredient here. Your design is really awesome, of this there is no doubt, but as you strive to achieve the necessary functioning will it not complicate ( and thus increase costs) of your design?post #4332 of 725911/14/13 at 2:00pm
Yes, more complicated will mean a higher cost. I also agree with the sentiment that what makes Grados good are their simplicity. I'd like to stay with that "design philosophy".
That being said, most headphones have plastic gimbals and need to be a one-size-fits-all. Because this is sheet metal you should be able to bend the gimbals the same you would with a stock Grado headband to get it to fit just right. It might only fit one person, but is that really an issue?post #4333 of 725911/14/13 at 2:56pmQuote:Originally Posted by jonbmet
Still have some hardware to pick out. Was going to go all out and over design it with many machining operations, etc....and then realized I could do something cool almost entirely out of sheet metal. So I went in the sheet metal direction. Since everything can be water jetted, burned, or lasered it shouldn't cost much more than the cost of the metal itself. Need to find some cool aluminum thumbscrews and a few other odds and ends. Anyway, below is a design I modeled up tonight. Any feedback / suggestions are appreciated.
Looks great! I love the outside the box thinking... Keep up the good work!post #4334 of 725911/14/13 at 2:57pm
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Hi End Cables
- › Astell&Kern AK T8iE MkⅡ(Impressions and discussions thread) just now
- › Recommendation for DT770 Model and DAC/Amp Combo 40 seconds ago
- › Headphone wood cups 1 minute ago
- › What amplifier to get around 100 dollars? 2 minutes ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › PLEASE HELP ME TO FIND THIS SONG!!!!-- 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 - Final Price! - $650 2 minutes ago
- › Sony XBA-A2 or RHA-T20i 3 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 3 minutes ago
- › Huge Comparison of [almost] all the Best Bluetooth Headphones -... 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO M3 - Digital Portable Music Player by Levistras
- › iBasso Audio D14 "Bushmaster" by Hisoundfi
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by David Thomson
- › Audio-Technica ATH-A900LTD by Heepaholic
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by Jeremypsp
- › Fidue A91 Sirius by twister6
- › LZ-A2S by peter123
- › ampsandsound Mogwai Single-Ended Amplifier by dmhenley
- › Cleer DJ Professional DJ Headphone by moedawg140
- › RHA MA750 by bobghosh
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...