Is it easy to install a female 3.5mm? Does it have the same basic layout as a male 3.5mm?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 4/18/15 at 12:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 7/30/15 at 12:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Cables & Accessories)
Last edited: 11/29/16
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 12/30/16
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Aesthetics: The box with its engineering drawings, beautiful graphics, and presentation of the product leaves a great first impression. Included are ample sizes of silicon earpieces to choose...
This is a pretty long review. For the benefit of those with short attention spans, let’s cut right to the chase. The “entry level” Holo Spring DAC is good – very good! It is transparent,...
I just got my X1 II but I'm really busy so I will first pen a few quick thoughts and edit this next time/respond to any comments or PMs you send me :) Info and Specs...
Empire Ears & Effect Audio Collaboration “ARTHUR” Intro Specifications Arthur frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz Sensitivity: 21ohm @ 1mw 14 Balanced Armature drivers...
I love Ibasso, really respect there products, especially the DX90 wich I still use everyday after 3 years and have lot of pleasure to listen to, i'm still amaze by the clear, neutral and analytical...
post your grado mods.... - Page 259post #3871 of 75699/2/13 at 10:04am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3872 of 75699/2/13 at 10:55amQuote:
Thanks for the quick answer! Yeah I am more just trying to test the waters with this connector, if it works and I like it I will probably upgrade it at some point. Good tip with the super glue as well!post #3873 of 75699/2/13 at 11:07ampost #3874 of 75699/2/13 at 12:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by westinlennox
Thanks for the quick answer! Yeah I am more just trying to test the waters with this connector, if it works and I like it I will probably upgrade it at some point. Good tip with the super glue as well!
It looks to be an even easier solder job than the male plug, as there are not as many space constraints. Very simple!
Actually, that Radio Shack connector seems about on-par with that of the Fostex T50RP. We certainly know that there are plenty of those headphones in circulation. About the only downfall of the female connector on the Fostex T50RP was a slight bit of corrosion inside of the connector. At one time or another, most users have had to apply a quick shot of Deoxit. Also, I think before the Mad Dogs ship out to the buyer, Dan sprays each connector with Deoxit so there are not any issues. I don't have proof of the Radio Shack connector displaying this type of issue, though.
You're just using the mono version of the plug, right? Not the TRS version? This will allow you to keep wires going to both cups, correct?
Thanks,post #3875 of 75699/2/13 at 1:40pm
I actually just finished it up, and I went the single-side route using the TRS connector, so it is now detachable stereo from the right ear cup. I just ran a connection through the headband.post #3876 of 75699/2/13 at 1:42pmQuote:
Congrats man! Pictures?!:Dpost #3877 of 75699/2/13 at 2:09pm
Yep, here you go! This is the first step in a series of modifications (hopefully). I removed the "Y-cable" and added a removable stereo jack to the right side of the Grados. I can't decide whether I should build my own cable, or adapt the cable I just removed, so I haven't done anything in that regard yet. I have an old cable from a pair of long-gone Crossfade LPs that I can use in the meantime. Future plans include new headband, and maybe wood cups, if I can work up the courage to take that step!
I work slowly, but I will try to post updates whenever I get around to moving on with my plans!
EDIT: I just noticed the flowers in the second picture, I promise I was not intentionally going for the artsy look :)
Edited by westinlennox - 9/2/13 at 2:42pmpost #3878 of 75699/2/13 at 2:15pmpost #3879 of 75699/2/13 at 2:17pmQuote:
Nope, I actually did a stereo plug. The wire you see running over the top where the new headband will (someday) be bridges the left driver to the connector. For mono plugs, you would need one on each side though.post #3880 of 75699/2/13 at 2:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by westinlennoxQuote:
Nope, I actually did a stereo plug. The wire you see running over the top where the new headband will (someday) be bridges the left driver to the connector. For mono plugs, you would need one on each side though.
"I removed the "Y-cable" and added a removable mono jack to the right side of the Grados." Your a liar!!;Dpost #3881 of 75699/2/13 at 2:42pmpost #3882 of 75699/2/13 at 2:44pmQuote:
Haha! What glue did you use also?post #3883 of 75699/2/13 at 2:47pm
This connector actually came with a screw-on ring, and that plus the overlap of the outer cup holds the connector in place quite nicely. If your connector doesn't have this, however, I have seen superglue used quite effectively. wje above recommended the same thing.post #3884 of 75699/2/13 at 2:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by westinlennox
This connector actually came with a screw-on ring, and that plus the overlap of the outer cup holds the connector in place quite nicely. If your connector doesn't have this, however, I have seen superglue used quite effectively. wje above recommended the same thing.
Wow, very nice! I may do that with my next grado!
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 4 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE 560 7 seconds ago
- › Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread 11 seconds ago
- › Could use some recommendations on a better headphone amplifier. 1 minute ago
- › Three Word Story 1 minute ago
- › NEW SONY NW-WM1Z / WM1A FLAGSHIP HI-END DAP!!! 1 minute ago
- › ☯️ Cavalli Audio presents The Source AV’s Summer Series 2016 3 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic Amiron Home (the new T90) 3 minutes ago
- › Cypherus Audio Products Discussion Thread: CampFred Earbuds, QFred... 3 minutes ago
- › Denon AH-7200 4 minutes ago
- › 1MORE Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone and... by wdetterman
- › Holo Audio Spring DAC - Level 1 "Base Model" by T Bone
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by gemmoglock
- › Effect Audio X Empire Ears : "Arthur" by justrest
- › iBasso Audio DX80 High Resolution Audio Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › DUNU DN-2000J by EZE99
- › AudioQuest - Nighthawk Headphones by snapacap
- › AKG K 550 by Simurgh
- › Brainwavz BLU-Delta Bluetooth Earbud Wireless Noise Isolating... by chompchomps
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear