Is it easy to install a female 3.5mm? Does it have the same basic layout as a male 3.5mm?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 4/18/15 at 12:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 7/30/15 at 12:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Greetings Head-fi! Today we are going to be looking at the most spectacularly teensy, tiny little earphone ever to grace my ears, the Advanced AcousticWerkes (AAW) Q. AAW is a Singapore...
Now that I've heard all the ADEL modules from Asius technologies(what has been released since 8/16), it's even harder to pick a favorite. Some days I want to tune the sound to my unique anatomy,...
I dont want to waste my time writing an essay for something that lasted only 1 or 2 months. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBnJ9zrnhGU My Rant and broken Shures in link above The bass...
(PS: Some content here may be a no-brainer for most but is just there for the less-informed). Please also ignore any errors, judgements. I'm a medio-phile and not an audiophile so, judge...
post your grado mods.... - Page 259post #3871 of 73549/2/13 at 10:04am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3872 of 73549/2/13 at 10:55amQuote:
Thanks for the quick answer! Yeah I am more just trying to test the waters with this connector, if it works and I like it I will probably upgrade it at some point. Good tip with the super glue as well!post #3873 of 73549/2/13 at 11:07ampost #3874 of 73549/2/13 at 12:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by westinlennox
Thanks for the quick answer! Yeah I am more just trying to test the waters with this connector, if it works and I like it I will probably upgrade it at some point. Good tip with the super glue as well!
It looks to be an even easier solder job than the male plug, as there are not as many space constraints. Very simple!
Actually, that Radio Shack connector seems about on-par with that of the Fostex T50RP. We certainly know that there are plenty of those headphones in circulation. About the only downfall of the female connector on the Fostex T50RP was a slight bit of corrosion inside of the connector. At one time or another, most users have had to apply a quick shot of Deoxit. Also, I think before the Mad Dogs ship out to the buyer, Dan sprays each connector with Deoxit so there are not any issues. I don't have proof of the Radio Shack connector displaying this type of issue, though.
You're just using the mono version of the plug, right? Not the TRS version? This will allow you to keep wires going to both cups, correct?
Thanks,post #3875 of 73549/2/13 at 1:40pm
I actually just finished it up, and I went the single-side route using the TRS connector, so it is now detachable stereo from the right ear cup. I just ran a connection through the headband.post #3876 of 73549/2/13 at 1:42pmQuote:
Congrats man! Pictures?!:Dpost #3877 of 73549/2/13 at 2:09pm
Yep, here you go! This is the first step in a series of modifications (hopefully). I removed the "Y-cable" and added a removable stereo jack to the right side of the Grados. I can't decide whether I should build my own cable, or adapt the cable I just removed, so I haven't done anything in that regard yet. I have an old cable from a pair of long-gone Crossfade LPs that I can use in the meantime. Future plans include new headband, and maybe wood cups, if I can work up the courage to take that step!
I work slowly, but I will try to post updates whenever I get around to moving on with my plans!
EDIT: I just noticed the flowers in the second picture, I promise I was not intentionally going for the artsy look :)
Edited by westinlennox - 9/2/13 at 2:42pmpost #3878 of 73549/2/13 at 2:15pmpost #3879 of 73549/2/13 at 2:17pmQuote:
Nope, I actually did a stereo plug. The wire you see running over the top where the new headband will (someday) be bridges the left driver to the connector. For mono plugs, you would need one on each side though.post #3880 of 73549/2/13 at 2:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by westinlennoxQuote:
Nope, I actually did a stereo plug. The wire you see running over the top where the new headband will (someday) be bridges the left driver to the connector. For mono plugs, you would need one on each side though.
"I removed the "Y-cable" and added a removable mono jack to the right side of the Grados." Your a liar!!;Dpost #3881 of 73549/2/13 at 2:42pmpost #3882 of 73549/2/13 at 2:44pmQuote:
Haha! What glue did you use also?post #3883 of 73549/2/13 at 2:47pm
This connector actually came with a screw-on ring, and that plus the overlap of the outer cup holds the connector in place quite nicely. If your connector doesn't have this, however, I have seen superglue used quite effectively. wje above recommended the same thing.post #3884 of 73549/2/13 at 2:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by westinlennox
This connector actually came with a screw-on ring, and that plus the overlap of the outer cup holds the connector in place quite nicely. If your connector doesn't have this, however, I have seen superglue used quite effectively. wje above recommended the same thing.
Wow, very nice! I may do that with my next grado!
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Hi End Cables
- › New Member Introductions thread 58 seconds ago
- › EarSonics' new 9 BA driver flagship: the S-EM9 1 minute ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 2 minutes ago
- › What's Next?? 2 minutes ago
- › Audio-gd NFB-28 3 minutes ago
- › Cayin i5 Lossless Android DAP with AKM4490 DAC supporting 32/384... 4 minutes ago
- › Desperately looking for DAP with dual microSD and that can be used... 4 minutes ago
- › Are you a console or PC gamer? 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! 4 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Advanced AcousticWerkes Q by ustinj
- › Asius Technologies ADEL™ G1 Auto Modules by Ike1985
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › Shure SE215 by Nick Walters
- › E-mu Teak Headphones by AT Khan
- › Marshall Mode In-Ear Headphones, Black/White (4090939) by PopZeus
- › Pro-Ject Debut Carbon by davehg
- › Brainwavz Jive by Lurk650
- › Campfire Audio Andromeda by k4rstar
- › Bluedio U (UFO) PPS 8 Drivers Over-ear Bluetooth Wireless Headphone... by Peddler
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...