Is it easy to install a female 3.5mm? Does it have the same basic layout as a male 3.5mm?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 7/23/13 at 3:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade from Grado sr125i to rs1i? Last post on 1/24/13 at 1:11am in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
I want to thanks Vincent from IFI who has sent me the sample for the review. In the past, on my site www.stereo-head.it and on head fi, I’ve already reviewed some IFI’s electronics and i...
Disclosure: I received these headphones from Sony Australia as a review sample to keep. Here is my video review of the 10R, as well as some brief notes about the sound and build of the...
My Story First of all - WOW. This is my first set of proper Hi-fi/Mid-fi cans. It's also easily the best sounding anything I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. However, since I'm new to...
I stumbled upon these headphones after numerous hours of research. To be quite honest, I'd never heard of this brand before so I was a bit hesitant before making the jump; especially after owning...
Let me start with the good, and then explain why you should never buy this IEM. Sound signature: The treble, mids and bass are sort of like that of an HD800, except downgraded. For example, one...
post your grado mods.... - Page 259post #3871 of 47779/2/13 at 10:04am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3872 of 47779/2/13 at 10:55amQuote:
Thanks for the quick answer! Yeah I am more just trying to test the waters with this connector, if it works and I like it I will probably upgrade it at some point. Good tip with the super glue as well!post #3873 of 47779/2/13 at 11:07ampost #3874 of 47779/2/13 at 12:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by westinlennox
Thanks for the quick answer! Yeah I am more just trying to test the waters with this connector, if it works and I like it I will probably upgrade it at some point. Good tip with the super glue as well!
It looks to be an even easier solder job than the male plug, as there are not as many space constraints. Very simple!
Actually, that Radio Shack connector seems about on-par with that of the Fostex T50RP. We certainly know that there are plenty of those headphones in circulation. About the only downfall of the female connector on the Fostex T50RP was a slight bit of corrosion inside of the connector. At one time or another, most users have had to apply a quick shot of Deoxit. Also, I think before the Mad Dogs ship out to the buyer, Dan sprays each connector with Deoxit so there are not any issues. I don't have proof of the Radio Shack connector displaying this type of issue, though.
You're just using the mono version of the plug, right? Not the TRS version? This will allow you to keep wires going to both cups, correct?
Thanks,post #3875 of 47779/2/13 at 1:40pm
I actually just finished it up, and I went the single-side route using the TRS connector, so it is now detachable stereo from the right ear cup. I just ran a connection through the headband.post #3876 of 47779/2/13 at 1:42pmQuote:
Congrats man! Pictures?!:Dpost #3877 of 47779/2/13 at 2:09pm
Yep, here you go! This is the first step in a series of modifications (hopefully). I removed the "Y-cable" and added a removable stereo jack to the right side of the Grados. I can't decide whether I should build my own cable, or adapt the cable I just removed, so I haven't done anything in that regard yet. I have an old cable from a pair of long-gone Crossfade LPs that I can use in the meantime. Future plans include new headband, and maybe wood cups, if I can work up the courage to take that step!
I work slowly, but I will try to post updates whenever I get around to moving on with my plans!
EDIT: I just noticed the flowers in the second picture, I promise I was not intentionally going for the artsy look :)
Edited by westinlennox - 9/2/13 at 2:42pmpost #3878 of 47779/2/13 at 2:15pmpost #3879 of 47779/2/13 at 2:17pmQuote:
Nope, I actually did a stereo plug. The wire you see running over the top where the new headband will (someday) be bridges the left driver to the connector. For mono plugs, you would need one on each side though.post #3880 of 47779/2/13 at 2:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by westinlennoxQuote:
Nope, I actually did a stereo plug. The wire you see running over the top where the new headband will (someday) be bridges the left driver to the connector. For mono plugs, you would need one on each side though.
"I removed the "Y-cable" and added a removable mono jack to the right side of the Grados." Your a liar!!;Dpost #3881 of 47779/2/13 at 2:42pmpost #3882 of 47779/2/13 at 2:44pmQuote:
Haha! What glue did you use also?post #3883 of 47779/2/13 at 2:47pm
This connector actually came with a screw-on ring, and that plus the overlap of the outer cup holds the connector in place quite nicely. If your connector doesn't have this, however, I have seen superglue used quite effectively. wje above recommended the same thing.post #3884 of 47779/2/13 at 2:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by westinlennox
This connector actually came with a screw-on ring, and that plus the overlap of the outer cup holds the connector in place quite nicely. If your connector doesn't have this, however, I have seen superglue used quite effectively. wje above recommended the same thing.
Wow, very nice! I may do that with my next grado!
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Astrotec AX30, AX35 Hybrid IEMs Discussion Thread 50 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 1 minute ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 2 minutes ago
- › It's time for some thing fresh to your ear. Selected as Top 100... 2 minutes ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (Update: 2/20/2014: BoomPro... 2 minutes ago
- › The Basshead Club 3 minutes ago
- › what would produce better sound ? 3 minutes ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 3 minutes ago
- › Gah. 'Audiophile' USB Cable. 4 minutes ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 5 minutes ago
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › Sennheiser IE800 by ag8908
- › Pioneer SE-CL721-K Headphones, Black/Red by tswmcello
- › Colorfly C3 by svyr
- › HiFiMeDIY Sabre Tiny USB DAC Digital to Analog Audio Converter... by laughingbuddha
- › Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC by laughingbuddha
- › Digital Silence DS-101A Stereo Analogue Ambient Noise Cancelling... by julian67
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude