Is it easy to install a female 3.5mm? Does it have the same basic layout as a male 3.5mm?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 4/18/15 at 12:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 7/30/15 at 12:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 3/18/16
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Introduction A wise man once said that in summit-fi, there are no weaknesses, only preferences. He must work in marketing. I’ve been in the head-fi game since 2012, still a relative newbie, and...
I would like to Thank FiiO for providing me with a review sample in exchange for my honest opinion. Manufacturer link: http://fiio.net/en/products/52, also available on amazon. * click on...
Nobody said HiFi was cheap, spending $200 dollars on HiFi doesn't get you very far these days. The AudioQuest DragonFly RED is one of those rare exceptions, I think it's the best value on the...
Preamble: A group of engineers and designers has worked as OEM developers and producers for audio products, acting in the background, until 2012, when they decided to found a...
EDIFIER M710 On-ear headphones This is the third Edifier headphones I review and it conclude a very pleasant travel in Edifier Sound world. I discover that a brand mostly know for his...
post your grado mods.... - Page 259post #3871 of 71009/2/13 at 10:04am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3872 of 71009/2/13 at 10:55amQuote:
Thanks for the quick answer! Yeah I am more just trying to test the waters with this connector, if it works and I like it I will probably upgrade it at some point. Good tip with the super glue as well!post #3873 of 71009/2/13 at 11:07ampost #3874 of 71009/2/13 at 12:30pmQuote:Originally Posted by westinlennox
Thanks for the quick answer! Yeah I am more just trying to test the waters with this connector, if it works and I like it I will probably upgrade it at some point. Good tip with the super glue as well!
It looks to be an even easier solder job than the male plug, as there are not as many space constraints. Very simple!
Actually, that Radio Shack connector seems about on-par with that of the Fostex T50RP. We certainly know that there are plenty of those headphones in circulation. About the only downfall of the female connector on the Fostex T50RP was a slight bit of corrosion inside of the connector. At one time or another, most users have had to apply a quick shot of Deoxit. Also, I think before the Mad Dogs ship out to the buyer, Dan sprays each connector with Deoxit so there are not any issues. I don't have proof of the Radio Shack connector displaying this type of issue, though.
You're just using the mono version of the plug, right? Not the TRS version? This will allow you to keep wires going to both cups, correct?
Thanks,post #3875 of 71009/2/13 at 1:40pm
I actually just finished it up, and I went the single-side route using the TRS connector, so it is now detachable stereo from the right ear cup. I just ran a connection through the headband.post #3876 of 71009/2/13 at 1:42pmQuote:
Congrats man! Pictures?!:Dpost #3877 of 71009/2/13 at 2:09pm
Yep, here you go! This is the first step in a series of modifications (hopefully). I removed the "Y-cable" and added a removable stereo jack to the right side of the Grados. I can't decide whether I should build my own cable, or adapt the cable I just removed, so I haven't done anything in that regard yet. I have an old cable from a pair of long-gone Crossfade LPs that I can use in the meantime. Future plans include new headband, and maybe wood cups, if I can work up the courage to take that step!
I work slowly, but I will try to post updates whenever I get around to moving on with my plans!
EDIT: I just noticed the flowers in the second picture, I promise I was not intentionally going for the artsy look :)
Edited by westinlennox - 9/2/13 at 2:42pmpost #3878 of 71009/2/13 at 2:15pmpost #3879 of 71009/2/13 at 2:17pmQuote:
Nope, I actually did a stereo plug. The wire you see running over the top where the new headband will (someday) be bridges the left driver to the connector. For mono plugs, you would need one on each side though.post #3880 of 71009/2/13 at 2:28pmQuote:Originally Posted by westinlennoxQuote:
Nope, I actually did a stereo plug. The wire you see running over the top where the new headband will (someday) be bridges the left driver to the connector. For mono plugs, you would need one on each side though.
"I removed the "Y-cable" and added a removable mono jack to the right side of the Grados." Your a liar!!;Dpost #3881 of 71009/2/13 at 2:42pmpost #3882 of 71009/2/13 at 2:44pmQuote:
Haha! What glue did you use also?post #3883 of 71009/2/13 at 2:47pm
This connector actually came with a screw-on ring, and that plus the overlap of the outer cup holds the connector in place quite nicely. If your connector doesn't have this, however, I have seen superglue used quite effectively. wje above recommended the same thing.post #3884 of 71009/2/13 at 2:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by westinlennox
This connector actually came with a screw-on ring, and that plus the overlap of the outer cup holds the connector in place quite nicely. If your connector doesn't have this, however, I have seen superglue used quite effectively. wje above recommended the same thing.
Wow, very nice! I may do that with my next grado!
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › The Best IEM's for Bass are...... (Basshead IEM's) 3 seconds ago
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 8 seconds ago
- › Shozy Cygnus Official Thread 1 minute ago
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (3/18/2016: MrSpeakers... 1 minute ago
- › ONKYO DP-X1 | Dual Sabre Dacs | Balanced | Sabre BTL Amp | MQA |... 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2?! 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X3 Gen 2 9 minutes ago
- › Rhapsodio – A force to be reckoned with 11 minutes ago
- › Creative Sound blaster E5 - Headphone amp + USB DAC with OTG +... 13 minutes ago
- › Rhapsodio Solar by ezekiel77
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by twister6
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by Stereocilia
- › SHOZY Zero IEM by HiFiChris
- › Edifier M710 On-Ear Headphones with Mic and Volume Control - Red by Nymphonomaniac
- › HIFIMAN Edition X Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphones by kendetamas
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk+/Monk Plus by twister6
- › Tingo TC200 Earbuds by zhouharvey
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by WonWesleyChoi
- › AKG K712 Pro by WonWesleyChoi
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse