- 1,743 Posts. Joined 7/2011
- Location: Southern California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 7/23/13 at 3:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
The Philips Fidelio X2 are my favorite of all the headphones I have listened so far, except the LCD3, for a few reasons. I have a few headphones (Blue Mo-Fi, HD800, HD650, HD598, HD558, Urbanite On...
A Brief Review of the FiiO X3 2nd Generation DAP with Comparisons to the Xuelin iHiFi 800. Firstly, I would like to thank Mr. James Chung for allowing this preview of FiiO’s new X3...
Hello all in Head Fi community. This is my first ever review in this forum.I am not an expert in reviewing so I will only use very simple term or definition to convey my message. I just received...
My colleague owns a pair of HD 580. Their sound is very versatile, bass and highs are extended perfectly. Despite that, extreme ends never flood the mids. Whatever you listen to, they will not let...
This review is for Aurisonics Rockets in ears, a little about me I am 38 years old and have been into hi-res audio since I was in middle school. I don't consider myself an audiophile like many on...
post your grado mods.... - Page 239post #3571 of 61767/24/13 at 4:42pmIt looks like it...and those dings in the diaphragm don't bode well either...
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3572 of 61767/24/13 at 5:04pm
Yeah - those are practically ready for the bin.
Also nobody sends drivers in THAT sort of packaging. I'd be absolutely disgusted.
Even if you pop out the dents in the diaphragm (which is very easy with a toothpick and double sided tape on the end), there will be too many new creases that ruin the uniformity.post #3573 of 61767/24/13 at 5:09pmpost #3574 of 61767/24/13 at 6:00pmpost #3575 of 61767/24/13 at 6:29pmpost #3576 of 61767/24/13 at 7:08pm
It appears that the diaphragm has wrinkles in them, as well. I wouldn't be happy either. While I wouldn't ask for the cups back, I would try to arrange some type of compensation to the driver, in hopes that the trader in question would work something out with you in good faith.
In all truth and honesty, there really isn't a standard to "bare driver", that I know of. So there really is no trade violation that I can think of. It is, however, fairly common knowledge, among the Grado modding community, that a "bare driver" still has the diaphragm grill and cloth intact, and such driver would only be missing the shell and cup.
On the other hand, the terminology of "bare driver" vs. "liberated driver" could be thrown in there to, where a liberated driver, as we all know, always retains the grill and cloth, minus the shell and cup.
As I said, perhaps you could work something out with the trader and hope that in good faith they might be willing to compensate you for getting the short stick of the deal.post #3577 of 61767/24/13 at 11:55pmpost #3578 of 61767/25/13 at 12:42am
While there are good lessons to be learned about photos and the terminology involved in headphone disassembly, the biggest problem here is FULL DISCLOSURE, and secondly abysmal packaging.
The seller did not offer full disclosure which is considered deception.
The packaging is a joke, which I'm sure breaks some sort of consumer/customer laws.post #3579 of 61767/25/13 at 7:32amAs it was the first time the seller liberated a Grado driver he thought bare drive was striped of all plastic. I know he was not trying to screw me and has offered compensation. So............... all is good. These things happen and we all make mistakes.post #3580 of 61767/25/13 at 3:15pmpost #3581 of 61767/25/13 at 7:35pm
SERIOUS QUESTION FROM THE HORSE.
Okay, so since I installed the wood cups from 7keys (glorious job btw mate!), I feel like the bit of punchiness that punching two holes added, kinda went away with the wood. Is this possible to be the case? Im tempted to punch one more, to pull out that glorious bass in Yes's 'Siberian Khatru', but Im afraid of making them sound sloppy.
Great sounding song on punchy Grados btw!!post #3582 of 61767/26/13 at 7:09ampost #3583 of 61767/26/13 at 10:48ampost #3584 of 61767/26/13 at 11:08amThey have wooden inner sleeves, correct?
You could try the hair-dryer method that works with the SR series. It would take a little longer with the aluminum outer cups.
Lord only knows why you would want to muck about inside those headphones though....post #3585 of 61767/26/13 at 11:22amQuote:
Hi - Sorry I should have been a little clearer.
I don't want to actually take the earcup apart, I just purchased some aluminium rodbloks and gimbals from martin custom audio and I need to swap them over. Can't figure out how to take off the stock ones. I don't want to damage them.
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Thinking of Hardwireing my Sennheiser HD800 myself using by... 1 second ago
- › "The Lab" 27 seconds ago
- › Preparing for the inevitable: DAP recommendation 29 seconds ago
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 1 minute ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 1 minute ago
- › The Mi Headphones by Xiaomi (1 New Review Feb. 25, 2015) 1 minute ago
- › Thoughts on a bunch of DACs (and why I hate chocolate ice cream) 1 minute ago
- › Can Con 5.0 - Sydney Australia meet (28th June 2015) 1 minute ago
- › X7, the Flagship DAP from FiiO ( updated on 15/12/2014) 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 2 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by Sediman
- › FiiO X3 2nd gen Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by jdog
- › ZERO AUDIO-ear stereo headphone carbo Basso ZH-DX210-CB by AzimAkbar
- › Sennheiser HD540 Reference Headphones by homesicalien
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by acain
- › Incipio f38 Headphones by ahnvx
- › Bose® IE2 audio headphones by Sarurururu
- › Baldoor EarBell E100 by Ruwetuin
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by mark2410
- › Sony Inner Ear Hi-res Stereo Headphone Xba-a2 Black (Japan Import) by Hawaiibadboy
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2