- 1,707 Posts. Joined 7/2011
- Location: Southern California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 7/23/13 at 3:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Disclaimer: I was given the MEElectronics M9 Classic in return for a review. The opinions expressed in this review are 100% my own, and were not influenced by MEElectronics in any way. Before I...
AK120II and Pono player combined review
EarTech Music have you ever heard of them or Ear Technology Corporation well me neither. This review is for EarTech Music Dual driver custom in ear monitor. I ran upon this company one day while I...
Setup: System #1: Macbook Pro Retina, Fidelia Software, Fiio e17 Alpen System #2: Mac Pro, Fidelia Software, Headphone Out or Fiio e17/E09K combo Some of the tracks used to...
WHY THESE? The kind people on iBuyGou (www.ibuygou.com) kindly offered me a pair of Xiaomi-like headphones to review here, as I actively have been using my Pistons the last year, and as these...
post your grado mods.... - Page 239post #3571 of 61497/24/13 at 4:42pmIt looks like it...and those dings in the diaphragm don't bode well either...
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3572 of 61497/24/13 at 5:04pm
Yeah - those are practically ready for the bin.
Also nobody sends drivers in THAT sort of packaging. I'd be absolutely disgusted.
Even if you pop out the dents in the diaphragm (which is very easy with a toothpick and double sided tape on the end), there will be too many new creases that ruin the uniformity.post #3573 of 61497/24/13 at 5:09pmpost #3574 of 61497/24/13 at 6:00pmpost #3575 of 61497/24/13 at 6:29pmpost #3576 of 61497/24/13 at 7:08pm
It appears that the diaphragm has wrinkles in them, as well. I wouldn't be happy either. While I wouldn't ask for the cups back, I would try to arrange some type of compensation to the driver, in hopes that the trader in question would work something out with you in good faith.
In all truth and honesty, there really isn't a standard to "bare driver", that I know of. So there really is no trade violation that I can think of. It is, however, fairly common knowledge, among the Grado modding community, that a "bare driver" still has the diaphragm grill and cloth intact, and such driver would only be missing the shell and cup.
On the other hand, the terminology of "bare driver" vs. "liberated driver" could be thrown in there to, where a liberated driver, as we all know, always retains the grill and cloth, minus the shell and cup.
As I said, perhaps you could work something out with the trader and hope that in good faith they might be willing to compensate you for getting the short stick of the deal.post #3577 of 61497/24/13 at 11:55pmpost #3578 of 61497/25/13 at 12:42am
While there are good lessons to be learned about photos and the terminology involved in headphone disassembly, the biggest problem here is FULL DISCLOSURE, and secondly abysmal packaging.
The seller did not offer full disclosure which is considered deception.
The packaging is a joke, which I'm sure breaks some sort of consumer/customer laws.post #3579 of 61497/25/13 at 7:32amAs it was the first time the seller liberated a Grado driver he thought bare drive was striped of all plastic. I know he was not trying to screw me and has offered compensation. So............... all is good. These things happen and we all make mistakes.post #3580 of 61497/25/13 at 3:15pmpost #3581 of 61497/25/13 at 7:35pm
SERIOUS QUESTION FROM THE HORSE.
Okay, so since I installed the wood cups from 7keys (glorious job btw mate!), I feel like the bit of punchiness that punching two holes added, kinda went away with the wood. Is this possible to be the case? Im tempted to punch one more, to pull out that glorious bass in Yes's 'Siberian Khatru', but Im afraid of making them sound sloppy.
Great sounding song on punchy Grados btw!!post #3582 of 61497/26/13 at 7:09ampost #3583 of 61497/26/13 at 10:48ampost #3584 of 61497/26/13 at 11:08amThey have wooden inner sleeves, correct?
You could try the hair-dryer method that works with the SR series. It would take a little longer with the aluminum outer cups.
Lord only knows why you would want to muck about inside those headphones though....post #3585 of 61497/26/13 at 11:22amQuote:
Hi - Sorry I should have been a little clearer.
I don't want to actually take the earcup apart, I just purchased some aluminium rodbloks and gimbals from martin custom audio and I need to swap them over. Can't figure out how to take off the stock ones. I don't want to damage them.
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Lets Talk Metal 18 seconds ago
- › Three Word Story 21 seconds ago
- › Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones 36 seconds ago
- › Applying for a university course soon 50 seconds ago
- › "The Lab" 1 minute ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless! 2 minutes ago
- › MEElectronics M6 PRO Musician's In-Ear Monitors - FINALLY! 2 minutes ago
- › OPPO To Reveal PM-3 Planar Magnetic Headphones and HA-2 Portable... 2 minutes ago
- › Testing audiophile claims and myths 2 minutes ago
- › Tralucent Audio Ref 1 by Wyd4
- › MEElectronics M9 Classic Hi-Fi Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones by DisCHORDDubstep
- › PonoMusic PonoPlayer by piksnz
- › EarTech Music Dual Driver Custom Molded In Ear Musician Monitors... by acain
- › PSB M4U 1 by prez
- › 1 More Design Piston Crystal by banjoanton
- › Schiit Magni 2 by Willy 2 Streams
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by tomscy2000
- › Master & Dynamic MH30 On Ear Headphone - Black by YoYo JoKeR
- › Master & Dynamic ME03 In Ear Headphone by twister6
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3