- 1,058 Posts. Joined 7/2011
- Location: Southern California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 7/23/13 at 3:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade from Grado sr125i to rs1i? Last post on 1/24/13 at 1:11am in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
So I finally broke my go to earbuds, and went searching for a replacement. I was actually so disappointed with these things that I made it a point to get out and put out a review. Bass continuously...
I was looking for closed headphones with a pricetag up to €200 that could be used without an amp. After some research and listening sessions I bought the M50x. There's really not a lot to say about...
If you look at my profile, I stay within a small range of products that have worked for my son and I. These include V-Moda, Westone, Audio Technica and Klipsch. Each have their own strenghts,...
I've had Mentor for nearly a month before selling it and JH16fp (first deciding to sell Mentor, then putting it on hold, then selling JH, then finally selling Mentor) and thought I'd share my...
When my 2 year old DBA02 mkii's lost left channel signal strength, I needed a replacement, pronto. I took note of some good sounding <$100 IEMs from |joker|'s list and headed off to the nearest...
post your grado mods.... - Page 239post #3571 of 47987/24/13 at 4:42pmIt looks like it...and those dings in the diaphragm don't bode well either...
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #3572 of 47987/24/13 at 5:04pm
Yeah - those are practically ready for the bin.
Also nobody sends drivers in THAT sort of packaging. I'd be absolutely disgusted.
Even if you pop out the dents in the diaphragm (which is very easy with a toothpick and double sided tape on the end), there will be too many new creases that ruin the uniformity.post #3573 of 47987/24/13 at 5:09pmpost #3574 of 47987/24/13 at 6:00pmpost #3575 of 47987/24/13 at 6:29pmpost #3576 of 47987/24/13 at 7:08pm
It appears that the diaphragm has wrinkles in them, as well. I wouldn't be happy either. While I wouldn't ask for the cups back, I would try to arrange some type of compensation to the driver, in hopes that the trader in question would work something out with you in good faith.
In all truth and honesty, there really isn't a standard to "bare driver", that I know of. So there really is no trade violation that I can think of. It is, however, fairly common knowledge, among the Grado modding community, that a "bare driver" still has the diaphragm grill and cloth intact, and such driver would only be missing the shell and cup.
On the other hand, the terminology of "bare driver" vs. "liberated driver" could be thrown in there to, where a liberated driver, as we all know, always retains the grill and cloth, minus the shell and cup.
As I said, perhaps you could work something out with the trader and hope that in good faith they might be willing to compensate you for getting the short stick of the deal.post #3577 of 47987/24/13 at 11:55pmpost #3578 of 47987/25/13 at 12:42am
While there are good lessons to be learned about photos and the terminology involved in headphone disassembly, the biggest problem here is FULL DISCLOSURE, and secondly abysmal packaging.
The seller did not offer full disclosure which is considered deception.
The packaging is a joke, which I'm sure breaks some sort of consumer/customer laws.post #3579 of 47987/25/13 at 7:32amAs it was the first time the seller liberated a Grado driver he thought bare drive was striped of all plastic. I know he was not trying to screw me and has offered compensation. So............... all is good. These things happen and we all make mistakes.post #3580 of 47987/25/13 at 3:15pmpost #3581 of 47987/25/13 at 7:35pm
SERIOUS QUESTION FROM THE HORSE.
Okay, so since I installed the wood cups from 7keys (glorious job btw mate!), I feel like the bit of punchiness that punching two holes added, kinda went away with the wood. Is this possible to be the case? Im tempted to punch one more, to pull out that glorious bass in Yes's 'Siberian Khatru', but Im afraid of making them sound sloppy.
Great sounding song on punchy Grados btw!!post #3582 of 47987/26/13 at 7:09ampost #3583 of 47987/26/13 at 10:48ampost #3584 of 47987/26/13 at 11:08amThey have wooden inner sleeves, correct?
You could try the hair-dryer method that works with the SR series. It would take a little longer with the aluminum outer cups.
Lord only knows why you would want to muck about inside those headphones though....post #3585 of 47987/26/13 at 11:22amQuote:
Hi - Sorry I should have been a little clearer.
I don't want to actually take the earcup apart, I just purchased some aluminium rodbloks and gimbals from martin custom audio and I need to swap them over. Can't figure out how to take off the stock ones. I don't want to damage them.
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Trade me your IEM's for my iPhone 4 1 minute ago
- › Post A Photograph Of Your Turntable 1 minute ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 1 minute ago
- › Ultimate Ears UE 900 Discussion and Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › audiophile in training day 1- where to start 3 minutes ago
- › Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old... 3 minutes ago
- › Westone Elite Series or Ultimate Ears Pro Recommendations 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › The AKG K712 Pro Support and Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › JVC HA-SZ2000/1000 Appreciation Thread 4 minutes ago
- › NCredible NErgy In-Ear Headphones by Monster® by tevbax
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by De_klusjesman
- › Klipsch S3M-Blue-HP In-Ear Headphone, Blue by DaddyMojo
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude