Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › post your grado mods....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

post your grado mods.... - Page 220

post #3286 of 4875

I bought a few Konoaudio headbands as there was a guy selling them for $13 on ebay. They're cheap looking and not that great, but they do work.

 

I'd like to try the urbanears as they look good but haven't found them for a good price here in Canada.


Edited by 7keys - 6/23/13 at 6:29pm
post #3287 of 4875
^I concur... They are very cheaply made... The headband leatherette is a joke... But they work well.
post #3288 of 4875

I wonder if that cheap look couldn't be fixed with a little modding? ^^

 

I just finished sanding my second set of cups, and I must say these are looking fantastic. However, I was curious how you guys mount your grills inside the cups? I figured there must be a better way than using those wood rings I used on my last set of cups.

 

Can't wait for my turbulent x drivers! :)

post #3289 of 4875
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHealth30 View Post

I wonder if that cheap look couldn't be fixed with a little modding? ^^

I just finished sanding my second set of cups, and I must say these are looking fantastic. However, I was curious how you guys mount your grills inside the cups? I figured there must be a better way than using those wood rings I used on my last set of cups.

Can't wait for my turbulent x drivers! smily_headphones1.gif

the cheap look is mostly the poopy headband so it definitely can be fixed. I usually just glue them in place with a few dabs of hot glue (superglue will make the finish cloudy and hard to fix if u need to refinish them ever)
post #3290 of 4875
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvtaco17 View Post


the cheap look is mostly the poopy headband so it definitely can be fixed. I usually just glue them in place with a few dabs of hot glue (superglue will make the finish cloudy and hard to fix if u need to refinish them ever)


So you just slide the grills in and glue them down? Seems pretty simple, and I guess that makes it easy to remove them if you need to get at the drivers!

post #3291 of 4875
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalHealth30 View Post


So you just slide the grills in and glue them down? Seems pretty simple, and I guess that makes it easy to remove them if you need to get at the drivers!

SI SI! Although sometimes I use bluebtak or putty for more temporary means during my modding phases. It makes it easy to remove the driver by pushing it out.
Edited by kvtaco17 - 6/23/13 at 7:18pm
post #3292 of 4875

You can cut the grills so they tightly grab the side walls, without the need for glue. 

post #3293 of 4875
The plattan headband is a real pleasure to use plus it folds right up in go its self.
The plattan headphones are expensive them selves but i got a faulty one for £6.00
Plus you can get all sorts of colours with matching bracket and plastic block
post #3294 of 4875
For the grills I make them over size and use gorilla glue mitre mate which isa two pack glue designed for wood.
I use a cotton bud to dab 4 dabs of glue then you spray the glue to activate it but it breaks if you push grills hard enough.
This glue dries clear some don't
post #3295 of 4875

This is how the urbanears plattan headband fold up.nice touch really lol
post #3296 of 4875
Stuck with basic black, the brass mesh was too floppy. I tried putting it over a wire ring made to fit snugly, and that sol Ed the issue, but once in it looked to fine and didn't hide the insides well enough for my liking...



Drivers are fully liberated now too (and both still working oddly enough...). Just need to take the setup to a friend with a soldering iron and I'll be all set.
post #3297 of 4875
Why would you want to hide the inside.it looks nice inside.
Try using less fine brass mesh like your black mesh.
Also if you use to finer mesh you will alter the sound .
Try laying your brash mesh over the black mesh and listen to how the sound changes.it should soundless open and detailed
post #3298 of 4875

 

 

Decided To go with Danish oil on these low profile Padouk cups I've been working on. They kinda look like mushrooms.

post #3299 of 4875

*chuckle* It looks nice in there, true, I just keep thinking of flyscreen when I look at the brass mesh...even layered over the black. I might hunt for a heavier gauge of brass mesh later, for now its black, and there's no going back :).

post #3300 of 4875
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7keys View Post

 

 

Decided To go with Danish oil on these low profile Padouk cups I've been working on. They kinda look like mushrooms.

 

Those look rather pretty...I am personally a fan of lower profile cups. And mushrooms. But that's a discussion for another time and place :D

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › post your grado mods....