Looks like I killed a driver. Anyone know a fix for this. I was trying to desolder the cable and the entire plate you solder to came off leaving a bare board behind.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 4/18/15 at 12:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 7/30/15 at 12:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 8/24/15
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
These are good headphones. I would have preferred a hard carrying case for the headphones, but, when you consider the cost of these cans, the soft carrying bag is acceptable. If you really...
This review is the summary section of Yulong DA8II in-depth review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/779702/yulong-da8ii-in-depth-review Please visit the above thread for more...
[[SPOILER]] Introduction: Aune Audio has been making affordable audiophile products for quite a while now – They have a number of desktop DACs and amplifiers, and recently made an entry into the...
The ATH-CK9LTD’s were purchased by me and I’m not in any way affiliated with Audio-Technica. I’ve reviewed the ATH-CKR9 and ATH-CKR10 earlier, those reviews are available...
Intro: JDS Labs, Is an American company based in Collinsville, Illinois. They make headphone amplifiers & DAC’s. Mr. John Seaber is the man behind JDS Labs. We might remember JDS Labs when they...
post your grado mods.... - Page 199post #2971 of 65844/29/13 at 8:50am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2972 of 65844/29/13 at 9:18ampost #2973 of 65844/29/13 at 1:53pmpost #2974 of 65844/29/13 at 2:33pmpost #2975 of 65844/30/13 at 6:15ampost #2976 of 65845/1/13 at 6:57pmpost #2977 of 65845/2/13 at 6:00am
Hi I wanted to share something which to me a significant improvement with my MS2i.
I first read about the "blue tac" thing on the RS2 and above that helps to improve focus and cut down resonant.
I tried sticking a piece of felt on the back of the drivers (not blocking the holes of course) but to be honest I didn't feel any difference.
For some reason, I bought some "black tac" which is softer and more stretchy then the blue one. I tried removing the felt and replace it with the black tac. Interestingly, there is really an improvement. The sound is tighter especially the treble and it seems to tam the bright sound that some who said it's too bright. With the improvement, I flatten the black tac into a small disc to stick onto the driver and at the same time stick some on the cable to make it look closer to Grado original :)
I have been watching article about wood cup on the RS1/2 and how wood use as driver shell on PS1000/500 improve sound by cutting down resonant and vibration to give it a tighter sound, improve definition.
So, the key word I pick up was "reduce resonant and vibration", "tighter sound, definition". My MS2i has metal case but plastic shell that hold the driver. If the PS1000/500 has metal case but use wood for the driver I can try to reduce resonant/vibration too.
I spread a very thin (very thin!) layer of black tac on the wall of the plastic driver shell so the entire wall is now spread with a layer of black tac evenly. The purpose is to act as insulating material to absorb resonant/vibration. Again, I can confidently said it does improve quite a bit and previously when I A/B with my HD650 which is very smooth sounding the mids in the MS2i seems a little coarse again the HD650 and the bass while good is not as focus as the HD650. All these feeling are gone after the mod. Now when I A/B the 2, I cannot tell which is better but 2 headphones with different signature and same performance league. It is now way ahead of the SRH840 which I previously might something prefer the SRH840. The MS2i is smooth, clean and did I say smooth?
Try it! I managed to do a good mod to a pair of HD449 base on my experience with MS2i mod. I feel my conquest of headphones is finally over with my current inventory each with a purpose.
See you guys :)post #2978 of 65845/3/13 at 7:51ampost #2979 of 65845/3/13 at 11:37ampost #2980 of 65845/3/13 at 12:16pmpost #2981 of 65845/3/13 at 1:09pmpost #2982 of 65845/3/13 at 1:13pmpost #2983 of 65845/3/13 at 5:43pmpost #2984 of 65845/3/13 at 6:55pm
Just shook free of some work projects and started to work on my 225s again...so why not start with an all aluminum build. Too bad I programmed it in wrong and wound up with the wrong inner dimensions. Not too far from what I expected on my first try.
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Welcome one and all! Please introduce yourselves! 7 seconds ago
- › Pics of Headphones... Rules: ONE PIC. NO WORDS! 13 seconds ago
- › LH Labs Geek Out v2+ Discussion Thread 15 seconds ago
- › The Member-Judged Fine Art Head-Fi Gallery 1 minute ago
- › Theft of Orpheus at IFA 2015 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Opamp thread 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 3 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 3 minutes ago
- › Westone Sweepstakes Presented by Sonic Electronix! 4 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH840 by Double-A
- › Yulong Audio DA8 II by earfonia
- › Aune X1S 32Bit/384KHz DSD DAC Headphone Amplifier black by avitron142
- › Audio-technica Ath-m50 Studio Monitor Headphones Limited Red Model... by peter123
- › JDS Labs ODAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by ShaftShanker
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Pokemonn
- › Brainwavz Jive by peter123
- › SoundMAGIC E50S In Ear Isolating Earphones with Microphone - RED by pformagg
- › Sony MDR-7520 Professional Headphones by Malfunkt
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2