Looks like I killed a driver. Anyone know a fix for this. I was trying to desolder the cable and the entire plate you solder to came off leaving a bare board behind.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 7/23/13 at 3:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade from Grado sr125i to rs1i? Last post on 1/24/13 at 1:11am in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Whereas I am also an old school hard-core vinyl aficionado, I (luckily) jumped the digital high-res train early enough to nowadays be equipped with the most necessary hard- and software to be able...
My comprehensive review of the Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones BURN-IN TIME - Took about 3-4 days to burn in so maybe 12 or so hours for me Upon receiving these as a gift for my birthday (so I...
Some Background: I’m currently 18 years old which as little as that matters to me seems to be interesting to many people in this community. I’ve always liked music and sound equipment but I...
Brace yourself... Pardon any grammatical errors please as this is one of my longer reviews. Some Background: I’m currently 18 years old which as little as that matters to me seems to be...
Me and my non-head-fi friend spent an evening listening to the HD800. We've both spent a lot of time with the HD650, but I had the SR-007 and HD800 available that we took turns listening...
post your grado mods.... - Page 199post #2971 of 57254/29/13 at 8:50am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2972 of 57254/29/13 at 9:18ampost #2973 of 57254/29/13 at 1:53pmpost #2974 of 57254/29/13 at 2:33pmpost #2975 of 57254/30/13 at 6:15ampost #2976 of 57255/1/13 at 6:57pmpost #2977 of 57255/2/13 at 6:00am
Hi I wanted to share something which to me a significant improvement with my MS2i.
I first read about the "blue tac" thing on the RS2 and above that helps to improve focus and cut down resonant.
I tried sticking a piece of felt on the back of the drivers (not blocking the holes of course) but to be honest I didn't feel any difference.
For some reason, I bought some "black tac" which is softer and more stretchy then the blue one. I tried removing the felt and replace it with the black tac. Interestingly, there is really an improvement. The sound is tighter especially the treble and it seems to tam the bright sound that some who said it's too bright. With the improvement, I flatten the black tac into a small disc to stick onto the driver and at the same time stick some on the cable to make it look closer to Grado original :)
I have been watching article about wood cup on the RS1/2 and how wood use as driver shell on PS1000/500 improve sound by cutting down resonant and vibration to give it a tighter sound, improve definition.
So, the key word I pick up was "reduce resonant and vibration", "tighter sound, definition". My MS2i has metal case but plastic shell that hold the driver. If the PS1000/500 has metal case but use wood for the driver I can try to reduce resonant/vibration too.
I spread a very thin (very thin!) layer of black tac on the wall of the plastic driver shell so the entire wall is now spread with a layer of black tac evenly. The purpose is to act as insulating material to absorb resonant/vibration. Again, I can confidently said it does improve quite a bit and previously when I A/B with my HD650 which is very smooth sounding the mids in the MS2i seems a little coarse again the HD650 and the bass while good is not as focus as the HD650. All these feeling are gone after the mod. Now when I A/B the 2, I cannot tell which is better but 2 headphones with different signature and same performance league. It is now way ahead of the SRH840 which I previously might something prefer the SRH840. The MS2i is smooth, clean and did I say smooth?
Try it! I managed to do a good mod to a pair of HD449 base on my experience with MS2i mod. I feel my conquest of headphones is finally over with my current inventory each with a purpose.
See you guys :)post #2978 of 57255/3/13 at 7:51ampost #2979 of 57255/3/13 at 11:37ampost #2980 of 57255/3/13 at 12:16pmpost #2981 of 57255/3/13 at 1:09pmpost #2982 of 57255/3/13 at 1:13pmpost #2983 of 57255/3/13 at 5:43pmpost #2984 of 57255/3/13 at 6:55pm
Just shook free of some work projects and started to work on my 225s again...so why not start with an all aluminum build. Too bad I programmed it in wrong and wound up with the wrong inner dimensions. Not too far from what I expected on my first try.
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Hifiman HM801 5 seconds ago
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 23 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 28 seconds ago
- › new headphones for 300$ please help :-) 1 minute ago
- › Cypher Labs earphone 1 minute ago
- › Headphones for the Holidays Bundle Deal - Geek Pulse + Audeze &... 2 minutes ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 2 minutes ago
- › The Best Bass Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 4 minutes ago
- › MrSpeakers Alpha PRIME: Impressions and Discussion Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by musikaladin
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by Galvatron
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Red) by Mitchell4500
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by Mitchell4500
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by dreamwhisper
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by ahunatu
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by Loquah
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by bkyoung
- › Superlux HD-631 by Sharingan
- › EarWerkz Supra by shotgunshane
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)