Looks like I killed a driver. Anyone know a fix for this. I was trying to desolder the cable and the entire plate you solder to came off leaving a bare board behind.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 7/23/13 at 3:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade from Grado sr125i to rs1i? Last post on 1/24/13 at 1:11am in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
I want to thanks Vincent from IFI who has sent me the sample for the review. In the past, on my site www.stereo-head.it and on head fi, I’ve already reviewed some IFI’s electronics and i...
Disclosure: I received these headphones from Sony Australia as a review sample to keep. Here is my video review of the 10R, as well as some brief notes about the sound and build of the...
My Story First of all - WOW. This is my first set of proper Hi-fi/Mid-fi cans. It's also easily the best sounding anything I've ever had the pleasure of listening to. However, since I'm new to...
I stumbled upon these headphones after numerous hours of research. To be quite honest, I'd never heard of this brand before so I was a bit hesitant before making the jump; especially after owning...
Let me start with the good, and then explain why you should never buy this IEM. Sound signature: The treble, mids and bass are sort of like that of an HD800, except downgraded. For example, one...
post your grado mods.... - Page 199post #2971 of 47874/29/13 at 8:50am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2972 of 47874/29/13 at 9:18ampost #2973 of 47874/29/13 at 1:53pmpost #2974 of 47874/29/13 at 2:33pmpost #2975 of 47874/30/13 at 6:15ampost #2976 of 47875/1/13 at 6:57pmpost #2977 of 47875/2/13 at 6:00am
Hi I wanted to share something which to me a significant improvement with my MS2i.
I first read about the "blue tac" thing on the RS2 and above that helps to improve focus and cut down resonant.
I tried sticking a piece of felt on the back of the drivers (not blocking the holes of course) but to be honest I didn't feel any difference.
For some reason, I bought some "black tac" which is softer and more stretchy then the blue one. I tried removing the felt and replace it with the black tac. Interestingly, there is really an improvement. The sound is tighter especially the treble and it seems to tam the bright sound that some who said it's too bright. With the improvement, I flatten the black tac into a small disc to stick onto the driver and at the same time stick some on the cable to make it look closer to Grado original :)
I have been watching article about wood cup on the RS1/2 and how wood use as driver shell on PS1000/500 improve sound by cutting down resonant and vibration to give it a tighter sound, improve definition.
So, the key word I pick up was "reduce resonant and vibration", "tighter sound, definition". My MS2i has metal case but plastic shell that hold the driver. If the PS1000/500 has metal case but use wood for the driver I can try to reduce resonant/vibration too.
I spread a very thin (very thin!) layer of black tac on the wall of the plastic driver shell so the entire wall is now spread with a layer of black tac evenly. The purpose is to act as insulating material to absorb resonant/vibration. Again, I can confidently said it does improve quite a bit and previously when I A/B with my HD650 which is very smooth sounding the mids in the MS2i seems a little coarse again the HD650 and the bass while good is not as focus as the HD650. All these feeling are gone after the mod. Now when I A/B the 2, I cannot tell which is better but 2 headphones with different signature and same performance league. It is now way ahead of the SRH840 which I previously might something prefer the SRH840. The MS2i is smooth, clean and did I say smooth?
Try it! I managed to do a good mod to a pair of HD449 base on my experience with MS2i mod. I feel my conquest of headphones is finally over with my current inventory each with a purpose.
See you guys :)post #2978 of 47875/3/13 at 7:51ampost #2979 of 47875/3/13 at 11:37ampost #2980 of 47875/3/13 at 12:16pmpost #2981 of 47875/3/13 at 1:09pmpost #2982 of 47875/3/13 at 1:13pmpost #2983 of 47875/3/13 at 5:43pmpost #2984 of 47875/3/13 at 6:55pm
Just shook free of some work projects and started to work on my 225s again...so why not start with an all aluminum build. Too bad I programmed it in wrong and wound up with the wrong inner dimensions. Not too far from what I expected on my first try.
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Sansa Clip Zip or Clip+ ? 38 seconds ago
- › Hegel Super Headphone Amplifier / DAC 1 minute ago
- › Philips Fidelio L1 in mint condition 1 minute ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 1 minute ago
- › New JH Audio flagship! "Siren Series Roxanne" 2 minutes ago
- › Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-2 Appreciation Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 3 minutes ago
- › New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and... 3 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 3 minutes ago
- › IFI Gemini usb cable by turo91
- › Sony Over-Ear Headphones - MDR-10R by a_recording
- › HiFiMAN HE-400 by kuhchuk
- › BRAINWAVZ HM5 Studio Monitor Headphones by ashton18
- › Sennheiser IE800 by ag8908
- › Pioneer SE-CL721-K Headphones, Black/Red by tswmcello
- › Colorfly C3 by svyr
- › HiFiMeDIY Sabre Tiny USB DAC Digital to Analog Audio Converter... by laughingbuddha
- › Hifimediy Sabre USB DAC by laughingbuddha
- › Digital Silence DS-101A Stereo Analogue Ambient Noise Cancelling... by julian67
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude