Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › post your grado mods....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

post your grado mods.... - Page 188

post #2806 of 5629

This headband looks like it'd fit Grado cups. Anyone see any issues before I purchase it (only £5)??

 

 

post #2807 of 5629

Hey guys, I'm in the market for new pads for my Grados because my bowl cups started breaking into pieces. I've seen a couple of you guys use beyerdynamic pads and was wondering which one fits the SR60? I'm thinking it's the ones for the DT 770 but can't quite remember. Also, as the DT770 pads are half more than the Sennheiser 414, which one would be more comfortable and provide a better seal? Also, where would be the cheapest place to buy the DT770 pads? The cheapest I've seen was $30. Thanks!

post #2808 of 5629

this has probably been done before, but if you take the head band off of these and slip it over your head band it provides a much needed comfort to the head band and only costs $6 plus you can still use these afterwords. cant even feel my sr80is on my head now http://www.harborfreight.com/ear-muffs-94334.html

post #2809 of 5629
Pic
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwazltoff View Post

this has probably been done before, but if you take the head band off of these and slip it over your head band it provides a much needed comfort to the head band and only costs $6 plus you can still use these afterwords. cant even feel my sr80is on my head now http://www.harborfreight.com/ear-muffs-94334.html

Pics?
post #2810 of 5629

Found this one for £6 also, seems to be almost identical to the KonoAudio one

 

 

post #2811 of 5629
^^ how about putting some leather and extra padding on a headband like that one or the konoaudio? Too much?
post #2812 of 5629
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecr View Post

^^ how about putting some leather and extra padding on a headband like that one or the konoaudio? Too much?


I saw someone with a brown JMoney V3 over it whilst I was googling, so it does work. I assume he removed the plastic bit and put the JMoney headband over just the metal piece.

 

 

Edit: Found it

 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/119314/post-your-grado-mods/1770#post_7762834


Edited by lawrywild - 3/1/13 at 2:39am
post #2813 of 5629
Not bad at all. Thanks!
post #2814 of 5629
Quote:
Originally Posted by DankHemingway View Post

I understand his dissatisfaction with Head-FI and share his feelings about the V5s. I too prefer the V4 sound signature over the V5s. Just my taste.

As far as Head-FI is concerned it can be much more than just a forum for audiophiles. This forum breeds discontent and encourages constant and often unnecessary consumerism as a way to keep up with the illusive search for that "perfect" pair of cans. I find there is huge corporate influence here and do not much care for it. I know too many people who came here looking for answers and have ended up spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars because of misinformation and are still are unhappy if not more unhappy with their current audio situation. For many people this forum is not a place for answers but a place that has given birth to even more questions. Maybe that is the function of this forum? I am not trying to be confrontational I am just making a broad comment about some of the crazier stuff that I have seen take place in forums. confused_face.gif This place can be very unhealthy in my opinion, that is all I am saying.

Regarding the tri-woods I acquired the three pair in an very odd, round about way. It is not appropriate IMO to share the details in a public forum but feel free to im me if you want more deets devouringone3. I am quite sure these are the only ones he made. In fact these may be the last pair he makes.

He is a good friend of mine and know how he can be. It is a large part of the reason why I respect and like him so much. I consider thelostMIDrange to be one of the most knowledgeable and truly compassionate cats on these forums. I have nothing but praise for thelostMIDrange. biggrin.gif

 

I think he's a great guy... especially when you realize his posts are not as confusing as they are not punctuated and read them slowly. He says a lot and a lot of good.

 

And he spent like 3 weeks exchanging with me on private messages; my initial plan was to make him fall in love with HP 1000 drivers, which he couldn't do in the end, so he just handed over the cups he had made for it, told me what to do with them, and didn't ask for anything more in return (than just trying those drivers).

 

Oh yeah I have a very similar opinion about Head-Fi. Myself I spent scholarships and student loans on Grado headphones such as two HP 1000 and sending one for an upgrade to Joe Grado. I made a blunder and left the 1600 dollars bills on the table and my mother who noticed got pretty mad. These were the biggest expenses in my life so far, but luckily for me I know what I want, more precisely so than others (usually), and am relatively proud of what I did and obtained/attained.

 

But yeah we need not go far to see people with, not that much money, trying to focus it the best they can, and still not be satisfied, or (not really knowing what they want nor how far to stop; a flagship is considered reasonable on this forum) being stuck with a hard case of upgradeitis and blowing up their budget, spending more "sacred" money they would have never have spent without Head-Fi.org. These are mainly the students and younger Head-Fiers... the ones living at their parent's owning a single pair of headphones that costed them more than their car and laptop put together.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker1 View Post

 

 

Not bad considering you started from a iGrado and that it now looks like (and maybe sound better than) a Prestige Grado :P

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7keys View Post


You have to watch that you don't get so analytical and critical that you don't like anything anymore.

 

This guy knew exactly which sound wanted from day one ;), namely very accurate, able to reproduce snare drum sound "correctly" and able to reproduce the nuances between different models of different brands of electric bass guitars.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallentx View Post

I've been on numerous forums from sports cars to vintage fans (yes, really), to bicycles. You comments pretty much describe them all. I think its the nature of enthusiasts getting together and showing off all the money they spent on stuff you all are into. Then there's the fact that all these enthusiast are people...

 

That I didn't know (though its to be expected I guess). I thought Head-Fi was one of the worsts because a) "audiophile gear" is sometimes used interchangeably with "snake oil", b) good sound and high-fidelity is difficult to define, describe, review, c) there are headphones for different tastes, d) the infamous "my two cents" "IMO" everywhere from people that are not that good at objectively expressing their opinion about a headphone and the credulous ones reading them, and d) the fact that some people are on this forum because they can't afford to buy the best elsewhere... the best headphones is relatively affordable compared to the best watch/pen/knives/gun, bike, best car, the best house or the best, speakers lol, etc. Kind of like the story of the car-less unemployed dude living in a flat alone with his 50,000 speaker setup ("Pcf" once said he knew a guy like that in a thread; I kind of fit this profile myself).


Edited by devouringone3 - 3/3/13 at 7:52am
post #2815 of 5629
Quote:

That I didn't know (though its to be expected I guess). I thought Head-Fi was one of the worsts because a) "audiophile gear" is sometimes used interchangeably with "snake oil", b) good sound and high-fidelity is difficult to define, describe, review, c) there are headphones for different tastes, d) the infamous "my two cents" "IMO" everywhere from people that are not that good at objectively expressing their opinion about a headphone and the credulous ones reading them, and d) the fact that some people are on this forum because they can't afford to buy the best elsewhere... the best headphones is relatively affordable compared to the best watch/pen/knives/gun, bike, best car, the best house or the best, speakers lol, etc. Kind of like the story of the car-less unemployed dude living in a flat alone with his 50,000 speaker setup ("Pcf" once said he knew a guy like that in a thread; I kind of fit this profile myself).

Audiophile gear is definitely up there among the worst, but you also have guys spending $20k on a bike because "I feel like I'm faster with these new carbon fiber aero wheels, aftermarket ceramic bearings, and electronic shifting". It helps to have a healthy dose of grounding in the "real world" to go along with what you read on forums from very passionate enthusiasts.

post #2816 of 5629

So who is selling wood cups these days? All I see for current sellers is Martin and Turbulent Labs and Turbulent is currently out of stock. Any members on here or others still making these for sale. I found a few dead links searching around.

post #2817 of 5629
Quote:
Originally Posted by devouringone3 View Post

 

I think he's a great guy... especially when you realize his posts are not as confusing as they are not punctuated and read them slowly. He says a lot and a lot of good.

 

And he spent like 3 weeks exchanging with me on private messages; my initial plan was to make him fall in love with HP 1000 drivers, which he couldn't do in the end, so he just handed over the cups he had made for it, told me what to do with them, and didn't ask for anything more in return (than just trying those drivers).

 

Oh yeah I have a very similar opinion about Head-Fi. Myself I spent scholarships and student loans on Grado headphones such as two HP 1000 and sending one for an upgrade to Joe Grado. I made a blunder and left the 1600 dollars bills on the table and it made her pretty mad (not that I care). These were the biggest expenses in my life so far, but luckily for me I know what I want, more precisely so than most, and am relatively proud of what I did and obtained-attained.

 

But yeah we need not go far to see people with, not that much money, trying to focus it the best they can, and still not be satisfied, or (not really knowing what they want nor how far to stop; a flagship is considered reasonable on this forum) being stuck with a hard case of upgradeitis and blowing up their budget, spending more "sacred" money they would have never have spent without Head-Fi.org. These are mainly the students and younger Head-Fiers... the ones living at their parent's owning a single pair of headphones that costed them more than their car and laptop put together.

 

 

This guy knew exactly which sound wanted from day one ;), namely very accurate, able to reproduce snare drum sound "correctly" and able to reproduce the nuances between different models of different brands of electric bass guitars.

 

 

That I didn't know (though its to be expected I guess). I thought Head-Fi was one of the worsts because a) "audiophile gear" is sometimes used interchangeably with "snake oil", b) good sound and high-fidelity is difficult to define, describe, review, c) there are headphones for different tastes, d) the infamous "my two cents" "IMO" everywhere from people that are not that good at objectively expressing their opinion about a headphone and the credulous ones reading them, and d) the fact that some people are on this forum because they can't afford to buy the best elsewhere... the best headphones is relatively affordable compared to the best watch/pen/knives/gun, bike, best car, the best house or the best, speakers lol, etc. Kind of like the story of the car-less unemployed dude living in a flat alone with his 50,000 speaker setup ("Pcf" once said he knew a guy like that in a thread; I kind of fit this profile myself).

 


So true.

 

 

 

But atleast blowing money on audio gear isn't bad compared to other things (drink and drugs are the obvious ones) but I mean compared to buying an expensive laptop, phone or ipad etc. Audio gear tends to lose it's value much slower than most other electrical items, so at least you can recoup funds quite easily. Case in point, I impulse bought an iPod touch 3rd gen 64gb for £300 when it came out to replace my iPod video, but after a few months I got a Sansa Fuze for £30 and preferred it so my iPod ended up sitting around mostly. Now I'm struggling to sell it for £100. Had that been an amp that I spent the £300 on, it would probably still be worth £200+.


Edited by lawrywild - 3/1/13 at 7:48am
post #2818 of 5629
Anybody figured out how to dye the senn 414 pads without them turning into ink stamps?
post #2819 of 5629
Should be able to do it by locking in the dye. Either rinsing it repeatedly after dyeing or by putting some sort of fixing agent on it.

I just asked my wife and she said that it may not absorb it depending on what it is made of, but she also suggested making the dye as normal and soaking the pads for a long time (like 24+ hours).

Above all, she said to use a high quality permanent dye (like RIT) to get the best results, assuming it will take the dye at all.
post #2820 of 5629
Thanks!! Appreciate the advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › post your grado mods....