holy mother of pearl inlay kopral, nice . I like the design of the cups in general and the moderate size. Any sound impressions? what drivers are inside? Any sound comparisons to stock SR/RS cups? If you can, maybe try and make a set with a wider mouth (where the driver mounts). I've had good results with that either because of the driver liking that extra 'meat' or perhaps because it seals the bowl pads somehow..............
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 7/23/13 at 3:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade from Grado sr125i to rs1i? Last post on 1/24/13 at 1:11am in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Beats, the biggest headphone brand in the world, selling more headphones than any other by a large margin and with a huge 60% market share if it's domestic market in the USA, has largely been the...
Though these are by no means perfect headphones, their price and excellent bass make them one of the best headphones you can buy for under $200. These headphones are very fun to listen to. They...
Since this is a IEM review I'll keep it short , I have no respect for IEMs ...I wish I could use headphones in the bed but since I cannot I have to resort to IEMs , not a IEM guy I picked...
I'm not much of a audiophile nor a reviewer just a regular audio enthusiast.. Apologies & correct me if I'm wrong.. Absolutely "StUnNeD" by these gems thought of sharing my...
Right have the pleasure of owning these for about 4 months. My Kit: Source: Foobar through Cambridge Audio Dacmagic Amp: Lehman Audio Blackcube Linear Headphones: Audio Technica ATH W...
post your grado mods.... - Page 184
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2747 of 53181/25/13 at 3:04amQuote:Originally Posted by jaimerod
The litz round braid and flat braid should shield equally well. However, the flat braid is much easier and required less wire. If you are making a longer cord, do not use the round braid as the extra length may degrade sound--though very minimally. I like the round braid because the sleeving will feel nice and full but it looks great even without it.
My cord is about 6 feet braided and took about 30ft of wire. I used 24 gauge copper wire I believe. You can go with a slightly thinner wire with no problem.
I got the mono jacks at RadioShack.
Both braids work. I don't like the round braid just on looks. As far as extra length, it's minimal difference. You should always have enough for 1.5 cables :)Quote:Originally Posted by Pointy
Had to look up 24 gauge wire. I currently have .25mm2 wire laying here..it falls just short of 23 gauge.
a single strand is 30ft? Or all 4 wires combined?
What would you recommend for a 5-wire braid?
Gawd..I'm looking it up, but what a bunch of happy peppy girls on the tutorials for braiding..giddy! :D
I recommend buying silver plated copper teflon wire from ebay, it's cheap, works, and is a great conductor. It's used in consumer electronics usually and not audio cables as you'd think, but it's actually fantastic for DIY cables.
Use this to learn how to quad braid. I dunno about 5.. I wouldn't recommend it, it would be of higher capacitance, and it would weigh more as well as limit your sheathing options if any.
This is the flat braid. It's easy, mistakes are easy to correct with it, and it just feels nicer wrapped around my leg when I'm sitting down. For sleeving, just leave it bare. The teflon around the wire should be thick enough to work. I recommend 26 to 28 awg in that.post #2748 of 53181/25/13 at 3:10am
- Trader Feedback: +55
Flips free review samples, and profits at the
expense of fellow Head-Fiers (like yourself)
Don't suppose anyone has some spare grado cups lying around, wood or plastic, PM me please. I have SR60 drivers from igrado, headband I can get, I wanted to make wood cups but have no reference...post #2749 of 53181/25/13 at 9:09ampost #2750 of 53181/25/13 at 1:41pmQuote:
- 3,950 Posts. Joined 2/2011
- Location: Sussex, U.K
- Select All Posts By This User
Here is one I just reworked.post #2751 of 53181/25/13 at 3:02pmpost #2752 of 53181/28/13 at 9:56amI am wondering if anybody is looking for grado drivers for a DIY project. I want to build a pair of magnums and all I need to finish is the headband and gimbals.
Here is the idea: You buy a pair of SR60i, SR80i, or Alessandro MS1i. Take the drivers, cable and earpads, and send the headband to me. I can even send you my part for you to buy the headphones. After we are done, we can post our grado mods here!
Please, PM me if you are interested. I would prefer if you have been in the forum for a while, and have positive trader feedbak.Quote:
Just received the Konaaudio Ka-Roh-116 headband I bought off eBay............Not bad.
How is that headband working for you? Does it look solid?
Edited by orangecr - 1/29/13 at 9:14ampost #2753 of 53181/29/13 at 6:24am
it'm my grado sr80 mod's
mod's consist :
Recabling whit mogami
jack 3.5mm viablue
replace cup's in cherry wood
blutak in rear driver and resonance room
coupled cush hd414 and L-coush
Sorry for my bad english
Edited by Tix88 - 1/29/13 at 6:26ampost #2754 of 53181/29/13 at 12:41pmpost #2755 of 53181/29/13 at 5:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by Tix88
coupled cush hd414 and L-coush
I used to do this mod to the pads also; I think they are the most comfortable Grado pads, even more than the bagels (!). But I don't use them anymore as I realized they strips away too much bass; I used 3M Crystal Clear Scotch taped flat pads now.post #2756 of 53181/31/13 at 9:45amQuote:
I have a pair of SR80i cups sat in my spares drawer,you can have them if you still need some.Don't think i will ever want them again..post #2757 of 53181/31/13 at 9:55amQuote:Seems Ok, I just paired it with some African Mahogany cups and put them up on eBay.The Sony headband from the 7506 model is much better.
It can be found for $20 here
Edited by 7keys - 1/31/13 at 12:46pmpost #2758 of 53181/31/13 at 1:28pmThanks! That's really helpful. If I can't get a Grado headband I will be using the Sony. Do you have to mod the Sony headband somehow to fit the Grado cups? I will be using vibro cups, but they should be similar to the stock Grados, I guess.
Good luck with the auction, by the way.
Edited by orangecr - 1/31/13 at 1:30pmpost #2759 of 53181/31/13 at 9:25pm
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Chord Hugo 25 seconds ago
- › Any New Orleans area Head-Fi members? 42 seconds ago
- › Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread 48 seconds ago
- › An audiophile and petrolhead's journal: Buckle up! 53 seconds ago
- › The Official Eddie Current 4-45 Thread 1 minute ago
- › New Audeze LCD3 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Havi B3 Pro-1 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › The Fiio X3 Thread. 1 minute ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 2 minutes ago
- › Beats Solo 2.0 On-Ear Headphones (Red) by cb3723
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO Closed Studio Headphones - 250 Ohms by MacroPower
- › Denon Urban Raver In-Ear Headphones, Blue (AH-C100BU) by MrTechAgent
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKN50 by bharathss
- › Audio Technica W5000 by CJ09
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM On-Ear Headphone by lofoscopico
- › Philips SHE3680 Headphones, Wired by suman134
- › Philips SHE9850 In-Ear Headphones with Advanced Acoustics by suman134
- › audio-technica AIR Dinamic Headphone ATH-AD2000X (Japan Import) by Quazimoto
- › HiSoundAudio E212 by fleasbaby
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)