holy mother of pearl inlay kopral, nice . I like the design of the cups in general and the moderate size. Any sound impressions? what drivers are inside? Any sound comparisons to stock SR/RS cups? If you can, maybe try and make a set with a wider mouth (where the driver mounts). I've had good results with that either because of the driver liking that extra 'meat' or perhaps because it seals the bowl pads somehow..............
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 7/23/13 at 3:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade from Grado sr125i to rs1i? Last post on 1/24/13 at 1:11am in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
I recently traded my ATM-50's since they unfortunately lost lower frequencies and started crackling in the left ear. So I thought "Why not try something different". I was looking for something to...
Intro This was my first real pair of headphones, and they satisfied me for two years. So it is only fitting that my first headphone review be on these awesome headphones. The HD598s are a great...
Introduction First I want to start with an "I'm sorry" because I took so long to write this and to top it off, I feel as if the review was a "waste of time" because, well, I don't see it as very...
This is a review of the Noble 8c, an eight drivers 4 ways ciems. You could check the specs on the noble web site. Please be kind in your critics, as this is my first review ever, and that English...
Porta Pros simply made the biggest difference for me when listening to music as I have switched from some low-end sony in-ear to them and suddenly when playing the same song music became more rich...
post your grado mods.... - Page 184
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2747 of 45201/25/13 at 3:04amQuote:Originally Posted by jaimerod
The litz round braid and flat braid should shield equally well. However, the flat braid is much easier and required less wire. If you are making a longer cord, do not use the round braid as the extra length may degrade sound--though very minimally. I like the round braid because the sleeving will feel nice and full but it looks great even without it.
My cord is about 6 feet braided and took about 30ft of wire. I used 24 gauge copper wire I believe. You can go with a slightly thinner wire with no problem.
I got the mono jacks at RadioShack.
Both braids work. I don't like the round braid just on looks. As far as extra length, it's minimal difference. You should always have enough for 1.5 cables :)Quote:Originally Posted by Pointy
Had to look up 24 gauge wire. I currently have .25mm2 wire laying here..it falls just short of 23 gauge.
a single strand is 30ft? Or all 4 wires combined?
What would you recommend for a 5-wire braid?
Gawd..I'm looking it up, but what a bunch of happy peppy girls on the tutorials for braiding..giddy! :D
I recommend buying silver plated copper teflon wire from ebay, it's cheap, works, and is a great conductor. It's used in consumer electronics usually and not audio cables as you'd think, but it's actually fantastic for DIY cables.
Use this to learn how to quad braid. I dunno about 5.. I wouldn't recommend it, it would be of higher capacitance, and it would weigh more as well as limit your sheathing options if any.
This is the flat braid. It's easy, mistakes are easy to correct with it, and it just feels nicer wrapped around my leg when I'm sitting down. For sleeving, just leave it bare. The teflon around the wire should be thick enough to work. I recommend 26 to 28 awg in that.post #2748 of 45201/25/13 at 3:10amDon't suppose anyone has some spare grado cups lying around, wood or plastic, PM me please. I have SR60 drivers from igrado, headband I can get, I wanted to make wood cups but have no reference...post #2749 of 45201/25/13 at 9:09ampost #2750 of 45201/25/13 at 1:41pmQuote:
Here is one I just reworked.post #2751 of 45201/25/13 at 3:02pmpost #2752 of 45201/28/13 at 9:56amI am wondering if anybody is looking for grado drivers for a DIY project. I want to build a pair of magnums and all I need to finish is the headband and gimbals.
Here is the idea: You buy a pair of SR60i, SR80i, or Alessandro MS1i. Take the drivers, cable and earpads, and send the headband to me. I can even send you my part for you to buy the headphones. After we are done, we can post our grado mods here!
Please, PM me if you are interested. I would prefer if you have been in the forum for a while, and have positive trader feedbak.Quote:
Just received the Konaaudio Ka-Roh-116 headband I bought off eBay............Not bad.
How is that headband working for you? Does it look solid?
Edited by orangecr - 1/29/13 at 9:14ampost #2753 of 45201/29/13 at 6:24am
it'm my grado sr80 mod's
mod's consist :
Recabling whit mogami
jack 3.5mm viablue
replace cup's in cherry wood
blutak in rear driver and resonance room
coupled cush hd414 and L-coush
Sorry for my bad english
Edited by Tix88 - 1/29/13 at 6:26ampost #2754 of 45201/29/13 at 12:41pmpost #2755 of 45201/29/13 at 5:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by Tix88
coupled cush hd414 and L-coush
I used to do this mod to the pads also; I think they are the most comfortable Grado pads, even more than the bagels (!). But I don't use them anymore as I realized they strips away too much bass; I used 3M Crystal Clear Scotch taped flat pads now.post #2756 of 45201/31/13 at 9:45amQuote:
I have a pair of SR80i cups sat in my spares drawer,you can have them if you still need some.Don't think i will ever want them again..post #2757 of 45201/31/13 at 9:55amQuote:Seems Ok, I just paired it with some African Mahogany cups and put them up on eBay.The Sony headband from the 7506 model is much better.
It can be found for $20 here
Edited by 7keys - 1/31/13 at 12:46pmpost #2758 of 45201/31/13 at 1:28pmThanks! That's really helpful. If I can't get a Grado headband I will be using the Sony. Do you have to mod the Sony headband somehow to fit the Grado cups? I will be using vibro cups, but they should be similar to the stock Grados, I guess.
Good luck with the auction, by the way.
Edited by orangecr - 1/31/13 at 1:30pmpost #2759 of 45201/31/13 at 9:25pm
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Vision Ears and Rhines Custom Monitors (formerly Compact Monitors) 29 seconds ago
- › Sennheiser Momentum vs Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) P7 1 minute ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Dec 20th 2013 1 minute ago
- › Music Game IX 2 minutes ago
- › DITA - The Answer (Truth Edition). 2 minutes ago
- › Q701 vs DT990-250 Pro Review 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1R series MK2 4 minutes ago
- › DT990 brightness? 4 minutes ago
- › Calling All "Vintage" Integrated/Receiver Owners 5 minutes ago
- › Shure SRH 440 Professional Studio Headphones by Misterbushido-
- › Ultrasone DJ1 by HybridBlinds
- › Sennheiser HD-598 by davisman
- › MrSpeakers Alpha Dog (T50RP Mod) by gelocks
- › Noble Audio 8C by John0405
- › Koss PortaPro - Headphones ( semi-open ) by cipurian
- › Project Palaios: Iona by lin0003
- › HiFiMAN RE-400 by getclikinagas
- › JAYS T00093 a-JAYS Five Earphones for Android - Black by mark2410
- › Beats Pro Over-Ear Headphone (White) by DigitalGrounder
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by skehoe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Desktop Amps... by warrenpchi
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Portable... by cristina
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide... by SocialCapital