holy mother of pearl inlay kopral, nice . I like the design of the cups in general and the moderate size. Any sound impressions? what drivers are inside? Any sound comparisons to stock SR/RS cups? If you can, maybe try and make a set with a wider mouth (where the driver mounts). I've had good results with that either because of the driver liking that extra 'meat' or perhaps because it seals the bowl pads somehow..............
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Another recommendation for a newbie. Last post on 2/25/15 at 1:45pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 4/18/15 at 12:23pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 7/30/15 at 12:41pm in Headphones (full-size)
Grado Modification Overview
Last edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
Wireless headphones…bluetooth even…last time I tried anything wireless was my cordless phone and before that was probably back in the “70’s” with an "all in one headphone with FM/AM radio", anyway...
So, I did a lot of reading when it came to this purchase, however, no amount of reviewing can objectively explain what you are actually going to hear when you plug them in - so I said 'screw it!'...
MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 – initial impressions Many thanks to @Tony-Hifi from HiFiHeadphones.co.uk for adding me to the UK tour for these earphones – the impressions below are based on the time I...
I am very glad that ONKYO released their new line of headphones into the North American market this June. I had been very curious about trying the ONKYO sound, but knowing new models were soon...
I love this little thing I really do. I bought it for myself as a present for a professional milestone. I can't tell you that it is worth almost 200 bucks, that's your call, but I don't regret the...
post your grado mods.... - Page 184
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2747 of 72301/25/13 at 3:04amQuote:Originally Posted by jaimerod
The litz round braid and flat braid should shield equally well. However, the flat braid is much easier and required less wire. If you are making a longer cord, do not use the round braid as the extra length may degrade sound--though very minimally. I like the round braid because the sleeving will feel nice and full but it looks great even without it.
My cord is about 6 feet braided and took about 30ft of wire. I used 24 gauge copper wire I believe. You can go with a slightly thinner wire with no problem.
I got the mono jacks at RadioShack.
Both braids work. I don't like the round braid just on looks. As far as extra length, it's minimal difference. You should always have enough for 1.5 cables :)Quote:Originally Posted by Pointy
Had to look up 24 gauge wire. I currently have .25mm2 wire laying here..it falls just short of 23 gauge.
a single strand is 30ft? Or all 4 wires combined?
What would you recommend for a 5-wire braid?
Gawd..I'm looking it up, but what a bunch of happy peppy girls on the tutorials for braiding..giddy! :D
I recommend buying silver plated copper teflon wire from ebay, it's cheap, works, and is a great conductor. It's used in consumer electronics usually and not audio cables as you'd think, but it's actually fantastic for DIY cables.
Use this to learn how to quad braid. I dunno about 5.. I wouldn't recommend it, it would be of higher capacitance, and it would weigh more as well as limit your sheathing options if any.
This is the flat braid. It's easy, mistakes are easy to correct with it, and it just feels nicer wrapped around my leg when I'm sitting down. For sleeving, just leave it bare. The teflon around the wire should be thick enough to work. I recommend 26 to 28 awg in that.post #2748 of 72301/25/13 at 3:10amDon't suppose anyone has some spare grado cups lying around, wood or plastic, PM me please. I have SR60 drivers from igrado, headband I can get, I wanted to make wood cups but have no reference...post #2749 of 72301/25/13 at 9:09ampost #2750 of 72301/25/13 at 1:41pmQuote:
Here is one I just reworked.post #2751 of 72301/25/13 at 3:02pmpost #2752 of 72301/28/13 at 9:56amI am wondering if anybody is looking for grado drivers for a DIY project. I want to build a pair of magnums and all I need to finish is the headband and gimbals.
Here is the idea: You buy a pair of SR60i, SR80i, or Alessandro MS1i. Take the drivers, cable and earpads, and send the headband to me. I can even send you my part for you to buy the headphones. After we are done, we can post our grado mods here!
Please, PM me if you are interested. I would prefer if you have been in the forum for a while, and have positive trader feedbak.Quote:
Just received the Konaaudio Ka-Roh-116 headband I bought off eBay............Not bad.
How is that headband working for you? Does it look solid?
Edited by orangecr - 1/29/13 at 9:14ampost #2753 of 72301/29/13 at 6:24am
it'm my grado sr80 mod's
mod's consist :
Recabling whit mogami
jack 3.5mm viablue
replace cup's in cherry wood
blutak in rear driver and resonance room
coupled cush hd414 and L-coush
Sorry for my bad english
Edited by Tix88 - 1/29/13 at 6:26ampost #2754 of 72301/29/13 at 12:41pmpost #2755 of 72301/29/13 at 5:12pmQuote:Originally Posted by Tix88
coupled cush hd414 and L-coush
I used to do this mod to the pads also; I think they are the most comfortable Grado pads, even more than the bagels (!). But I don't use them anymore as I realized they strips away too much bass; I used 3M Crystal Clear Scotch taped flat pads now.post #2756 of 72301/31/13 at 9:45amQuote:
I have a pair of SR80i cups sat in my spares drawer,you can have them if you still need some.Don't think i will ever want them again..post #2757 of 72301/31/13 at 9:55amQuote:Seems Ok, I just paired it with some African Mahogany cups and put them up on eBay.The Sony headband from the 7506 model is much better.
It can be found for $20 here
Edited by 7keys - 1/31/13 at 12:46pmpost #2758 of 72301/31/13 at 1:28pmThanks! That's really helpful. If I can't get a Grado headband I will be using the Sony. Do you have to mod the Sony headband somehow to fit the Grado cups? I will be using vibro cups, but they should be similar to the stock Grados, I guess.
Good luck with the auction, by the way.
Edited by orangecr - 1/31/13 at 1:30pmpost #2759 of 72301/31/13 at 9:25pm
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Hi End Cables
- › *Official Schiit Magni/Modi 2 ( Uber ) Thread* 39 seconds ago
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 1 minute ago
- › Rose Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Pioneer's First Hi-End Headphones: SE-Master 1 1 minute ago
- › Empire Ears - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 3 minutes ago
- › Best Portable AMP for Audeze Sine 3 minutes ago
- › 2359glenn | studio 3 minutes ago
- › The Upcoming FiiO T3 | Dual SD slot | 3.2 inch full touch screen |... 4 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 4 minutes ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT990 Manufaktur 600 OHM 5 minutes ago
- › Bluedio U (UFO) PPS 8 Drivers Over-ear Bluetooth Wireless Headphone... by Rob80b
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by desperategraves
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Jackpot77
- › ONKYO sealed wireless headphone Bluetooth-enabled / NFC support /... by Sonic Defender
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by selfdude
- › Sparkos Labs SS3601 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by selfdude
- › Cascadia Audio Talos by keanex
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...