- 1,568 Posts. Joined 7/2011
- Location: Southern California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 7/23/13 at 3:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade from Grado sr125i to rs1i? Last post on 1/24/13 at 1:11am in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Some Background: I’m currently 18 years old which as little as that matters to me seems to be interesting to many people in this community. I’ve always liked music... [[SPOILER]] . Prelude:I...
I Ventured to buy those headphones fater a massive discount in pre-christmas sales here in mexico, for $178 USD i consider them to be a great buy The construction of those cans seems to be...
This is gonna be a simple review BASS For a $7 in ear it is actually really good. A little overbearing at times but quite articulate considering the price. MIDS They are not airy and vocals by...
These headphones sound very precise and balanced. You will hear your music as it was recorded, mixed, and mastered which is the approach I prefer to trying to find headphones that try to EQ things...
Whereas I am also an old school hard-core vinyl aficionado, I (luckily) jumped the digital high-res train early enough to nowadays be equipped with the most necessary hard- and software to be able...
post your grado mods.... - Page 179post #2671 of 572512/28/12 at 10:12amHmmm...and it needs to hold its shape, or it will be useless for keeping the headphones on your head. Have you considered spring steel from hardware store like Home Depot or its Canadian equivalent?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2672 of 572512/28/12 at 1:20pm
I think I found something that might work:
Those K&S strips seem the right dimension; the leather headband is a little under 12 inches long, and the opening in the rodblocks is right over 1/4". I'm not sure for the thickness though. Does anybody have an idea?post #2673 of 572512/28/12 at 1:28pmpost #2674 of 572512/28/12 at 1:29pmpost #2675 of 572512/28/12 at 1:35pmpost #2676 of 572512/28/12 at 2:11pmpost #2677 of 572512/28/12 at 2:11pmpost #2678 of 572512/28/12 at 3:32pmpost #2679 of 572512/28/12 at 3:36pm
Wide ;) (*edit: D'oh!)
Grado uses stainless steel and that darn headband is the only piece we aren't successfully making for ourselves yet (*edit, but the guy above me found a decent solution!). Magnum modders starting from scratch usually buy another headphone's headband (such as Sony 7506 or 7502 replacements) and we who prefer Grado-style hardware are left out of luck. Personally I would either try to find an equivalent material like you're doing, open a Want2Buy the part, or find a real cheap, used up SR60.
The dimension of the strip is about 1 mm thick, 5 mm wide, and 30 mm long; but you should ask Jinteddy7 for more precise numbers if you need.
I would also advise against removing that white cheese clothe; it's the driver's last line of defense. I have also read report of people having tried it saying it didn't change anything to the sound.
Edited by devouringone3 - 12/29/12 at 10:46ampost #2680 of 572512/28/12 at 3:53pmQuote:Originally Posted by thelostMIDrange
btw, I agree, stain has no affect on sound because it doesn't change the wood's properties, but stain is not 'finish'. Maybe that was the confusion. Finish changes the wood's properties without exception. Bang two raw wood cups together and then do it with the same finished cups. Totally different sounds will be heard.
Maybe it was finish as that makes sense. Thank you for the clarification.post #2681 of 572512/28/12 at 6:38pmQuote:
No resoldering and destroying the plastic air-chamber.
The Bamboo housing is basically the same design as the stock plastic housing...so the driver+airchamber fits right in.post #2682 of 572512/29/12 at 4:54amQuote:
Okay, thanks. I remember seeing it in bill's videos and wanted to try it.post #2683 of 572512/29/12 at 7:09ampost #2684 of 572512/29/12 at 8:24amQuote:Originally Posted by wavid
Found some old hole saws and some floorboards in my dads shed and figured id try and woody my sr60s to replace my 325 cups....Lets just say i was not very successful lol.
But i will def try again, maybe with some new hole saws and better wood. I have some nice blocks of mahogany but ill wait till i have some better hole saws and a more powerful drill.
Made one more for the left cup. Smoke everywhere and black sawdust haha, now im sure i need a better hole saw for when i make the mahogany ones.
Anyway here it is...
4 Vent holes, felt on driver and oak cups. Need to find some mesh and will def need to redo the wood.
Havent really sanded these because i kind of like the look but these wont be staying on for long, just practice cups
Edited by wavid - 12/29/12 at 8:28am
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 3 seconds ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 39 seconds ago
- › Thinksound Rain2 to pour in ears soon: Impressions and Discussions... 42 seconds ago
- › EarWerkz, a new CIEM company, discussion thread 42 seconds ago
- › Havi B6 ! 1 minute ago
- › Fulla (by) Schiit - News, photos, thoughts, impressions, etc. 1 minute ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT 150: Bloody Brilliant! 2 minutes ago
- › Audiophile Over-Ear Closed-Back Headphones <$700 Recommendations? 2 minutes ago
- › Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by Mitchell4500
- › Sony MDR-1R by gerelmx1986
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by JAMEZTHEBOI
- › thinksound on1 Supra-Aural On-Ear Monitor Wooden Headphone by Pacal
- › Astell&Kern AK100II High Resolution Single DAC Audio Player... by musikaladin
- › Sennheiser HD 280 Headphones by Galvatron
- › SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4 GB MP3 Player (Red) by Mitchell4500
- › Shure SE846 Sound Isolating™ Earphone by Mitchell4500
- › Sennheiser HD 800 Headphones by dreamwhisper
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50x by ahunatu
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)