- 1,539 Posts. Joined 7/2011
- Location: Southern California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 7/23/13 at 3:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade from Grado sr125i to rs1i? Last post on 1/24/13 at 1:11am in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
The new iteration of the Brainwavz R3 is an intriguing earphone. They’re large earphones, each side containing two dynamic drivers in big pill shaped aluminium housings. They currently retail for...
INTRODUCTION First of all, a big THANK YOU to Michael Lin from FIDUE for providing the review unit. It is much appreciated, and my humble ears are feeling so incredibly honoured to be...
iBasso D-Zero MKII Review iBasso is a very common name out there on the forums now, with their DX50 and DX90 gaining a rather large user base. I have reviewed both the DX50 and DX90 and I found...
These headphones generally are excellent. They possess this remarkable mixture of openness and intimacy at the same time. There’s a true sense of soundstage, with a good width and depth and still...
Brainwavz S0 Quick Review Thanks to mp4nation for the sample. Full Review here http://www.head-fi.org/t/743834/brainwavz-s0-review-by-mark2410 Brief: The S5 has a baby...
post your grado mods.... - Page 179post #2671 of 562912/28/12 at 10:12amHmmm...and it needs to hold its shape, or it will be useless for keeping the headphones on your head. Have you considered spring steel from hardware store like Home Depot or its Canadian equivalent?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2672 of 562912/28/12 at 1:20pm
I think I found something that might work:
Those K&S strips seem the right dimension; the leather headband is a little under 12 inches long, and the opening in the rodblocks is right over 1/4". I'm not sure for the thickness though. Does anybody have an idea?post #2673 of 562912/28/12 at 1:28pmpost #2674 of 562912/28/12 at 1:29pmpost #2675 of 562912/28/12 at 1:35pmpost #2676 of 562912/28/12 at 2:11pmpost #2677 of 562912/28/12 at 2:11pmpost #2678 of 562912/28/12 at 3:32pmpost #2679 of 562912/28/12 at 3:36pm
Wide ;) (*edit: D'oh!)
Grado uses stainless steel and that darn headband is the only piece we aren't successfully making for ourselves yet (*edit, but the guy above me found a decent solution!). Magnum modders starting from scratch usually buy another headphone's headband (such as Sony 7506 or 7502 replacements) and we who prefer Grado-style hardware are left out of luck. Personally I would either try to find an equivalent material like you're doing, open a Want2Buy the part, or find a real cheap, used up SR60.
The dimension of the strip is about 1 mm thick, 5 mm wide, and 30 mm long; but you should ask Jinteddy7 for more precise numbers if you need.
I would also advise against removing that white cheese clothe; it's the driver's last line of defense. I have also read report of people having tried it saying it didn't change anything to the sound.
Edited by devouringone3 - 12/29/12 at 10:46ampost #2680 of 562912/28/12 at 3:53pmQuote:Originally Posted by thelostMIDrange
btw, I agree, stain has no affect on sound because it doesn't change the wood's properties, but stain is not 'finish'. Maybe that was the confusion. Finish changes the wood's properties without exception. Bang two raw wood cups together and then do it with the same finished cups. Totally different sounds will be heard.
Maybe it was finish as that makes sense. Thank you for the clarification.post #2681 of 562912/28/12 at 6:38pmQuote:
No resoldering and destroying the plastic air-chamber.
The Bamboo housing is basically the same design as the stock plastic housing...so the driver+airchamber fits right in.post #2682 of 562912/29/12 at 4:54amQuote:
Okay, thanks. I remember seeing it in bill's videos and wanted to try it.post #2683 of 562912/29/12 at 7:09ampost #2684 of 562912/29/12 at 8:24amQuote:Originally Posted by wavid
Found some old hole saws and some floorboards in my dads shed and figured id try and woody my sr60s to replace my 325 cups....Lets just say i was not very successful lol.
But i will def try again, maybe with some new hole saws and better wood. I have some nice blocks of mahogany but ill wait till i have some better hole saws and a more powerful drill.
Made one more for the left cup. Smoke everywhere and black sawdust haha, now im sure i need a better hole saw for when i make the mahogany ones.
Anyway here it is...
4 Vent holes, felt on driver and oak cups. Need to find some mesh and will def need to redo the wood.
Havent really sanded these because i kind of like the look but these wont be staying on for long, just practice cups
Edited by wavid - 12/29/12 at 8:28am
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution 22 seconds ago
- › Brainwavz' new portable headphone amplifier: AP001 39 seconds ago
- › Superlux Express Train 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 2 minutes ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Winter 2015 AAMML Holiday Gift Exchange 4 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 4 minutes ago
- › Fiio X5 theme - LIM - X3 and X1 to follow soon 6 minutes ago
- › DiDiT High-End DAC212 6 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by lecky
- › FIDUE A71 Dual Dynamic Drivers Hi-Fi Earphones by djvkool
- › iBasso Audio D-Zero MK2 by lin0003
- › Audio Technica ATH-A900X | Art Monitor Headphones (Japan Import) by Mink
- › Brainwavz S0 In-Ear Headphones by mark2410
- › Creative Sound Blaster E3 Headphone Amplifier by ClieOS
- › Blue Microphones Mo-Fi Powered High-Fidelity Headphones with... by MacedonianHero
- › Basic K3 by nino9
- › Cowon iAUDIO 7 16Gb by Climber
- › Audio-Technica ATH-AD700X Audiophile Open-Air Headphones by TheHeadPhoneGuy
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)