- 1,155 Posts. Joined 7/2011
- Location: Southern California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 7/23/13 at 3:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade from Grado sr125i to rs1i? Last post on 1/24/13 at 1:11am in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
I'm giving these a 4 based on sound quality alone. I'm a cheap headphone user; I've gone from cheap headphone to cheap headphone over the past decade or so. I started with the Skullcandy Ink'd...
The review will comming soon
I used these for about three months at my desk at work. The left side went out in that short time. They were great while they lasted.
Hi When i brought these i hoped that they would sound amazing. But when i tried these i noticed that there was no bass at all. I'm a bass head. Now i brought the ferrari by logic3 T150. They...
Been looking for some new closed headphones, with only three at the moment and for some time in fact. Good ones, though: Sony MDR Z1000, Sony MDR 7520, and Senn Amperiors, Sometimes you just...
post your grado mods.... - Page 179post #2671 of 488212/28/12 at 10:12amHmmm...and it needs to hold its shape, or it will be useless for keeping the headphones on your head. Have you considered spring steel from hardware store like Home Depot or its Canadian equivalent?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2672 of 488212/28/12 at 1:20pm
I think I found something that might work:
Those K&S strips seem the right dimension; the leather headband is a little under 12 inches long, and the opening in the rodblocks is right over 1/4". I'm not sure for the thickness though. Does anybody have an idea?post #2673 of 488212/28/12 at 1:28pmpost #2674 of 488212/28/12 at 1:29pmpost #2675 of 488212/28/12 at 1:35pmpost #2676 of 488212/28/12 at 2:11pmpost #2677 of 488212/28/12 at 2:11pmpost #2678 of 488212/28/12 at 3:32pmpost #2679 of 488212/28/12 at 3:36pm
Wide ;) (*edit: D'oh!)
Grado uses stainless steel and that darn headband is the only piece we aren't successfully making for ourselves yet (*edit, but the guy above me found a decent solution!). Magnum modders starting from scratch usually buy another headphone's headband (such as Sony 7506 or 7502 replacements) and we who prefer Grado-style hardware are left out of luck. Personally I would either try to find an equivalent material like you're doing, open a Want2Buy the part, or find a real cheap, used up SR60.
The dimension of the strip is about 1 mm thick, 5 mm wide, and 30 mm long; but you should ask Jinteddy7 for more precise numbers if you need.
I would also advise against removing that white cheese clothe; it's the driver's last line of defense. I have also read report of people having tried it saying it didn't change anything to the sound.
Edited by devouringone3 - 12/29/12 at 10:46ampost #2680 of 488212/28/12 at 3:53pmQuote:Originally Posted by thelostMIDrange
btw, I agree, stain has no affect on sound because it doesn't change the wood's properties, but stain is not 'finish'. Maybe that was the confusion. Finish changes the wood's properties without exception. Bang two raw wood cups together and then do it with the same finished cups. Totally different sounds will be heard.
Maybe it was finish as that makes sense. Thank you for the clarification.post #2681 of 488212/28/12 at 6:38pmQuote:
No resoldering and destroying the plastic air-chamber.
The Bamboo housing is basically the same design as the stock plastic housing...so the driver+airchamber fits right in.post #2682 of 488212/29/12 at 4:54amQuote:
Okay, thanks. I remember seeing it in bill's videos and wanted to try it.post #2683 of 488212/29/12 at 7:09ampost #2684 of 488212/29/12 at 8:24amQuote:Originally Posted by wavid
Found some old hole saws and some floorboards in my dads shed and figured id try and woody my sr60s to replace my 325 cups....Lets just say i was not very successful lol.
But i will def try again, maybe with some new hole saws and better wood. I have some nice blocks of mahogany but ill wait till i have some better hole saws and a more powerful drill.
Made one more for the left cup. Smoke everywhere and black sawdust haha, now im sure i need a better hole saw for when i make the mahogany ones.
Anyway here it is...
4 Vent holes, felt on driver and oak cups. Need to find some mesh and will def need to redo the wood.
Havent really sanded these because i kind of like the look but these wont be staying on for long, just practice cups
Edited by wavid - 12/29/12 at 8:28am
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › REVIEW: Ostry KC06 9 seconds ago
- › Wow! Sennheiser HD 540 Reference are so good. 51 seconds ago
- › The iBasso DX50 Thread - Latest firmware: 1.2.8 52 seconds ago
- › Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD518 HD558 HD598 Appreciation Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Emmeline P51 by Ray Samuels Audio 5 minutes ago
- › The DX90 by iBasso . . . please post your reviews and impressions.... 6 minutes ago
- › I have a question about Fiio E07K Andes 6 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK240 7 minutes ago
- › [AUS] Lachlan's 'Some Headphones Are More Equal Than Others' Sale!!! 8 minutes ago
- › Ultimate Ears 500 by az060693
- › Halide Design DAC HD by Zuqi
- › Sony MDR-ZX-700 by PurelyNicole
- › Klipsch Image S3 Nosie-Isolating Earphones with Patented Oval Ear-Tips by Arno Berck
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by zazex
- › Ultrasone HFI-450 by MrTechAgent
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by zach8278
- › Ultimate Ears UE4000 Headphones by gopats1479
- › NoiseHush NX85 Stereo 3.5mm Headset with Mic - Retail Packaging -... by Mathewsa
- › LHLabs Geek Out by bhazard
- › How to find the Tokyo e-earphone shop by Currawong
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude