- 1,057 Posts. Joined 7/2011
- Location: Southern California
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productbeyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 8/18/11
- categoryCablestagged by System, 6/15/10
- brandGradotagged by System, 6/15/10
- productGrado SR125i Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- productGrado SR325is Headphonestagged by System, 6/18/10
- categoryHead Geartagged by System, 6/15/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 6/15/10
Related Forum Threads
- Grado SR 325i - Need Cable Repair (Again) Last post on 4/21/13 at 4:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones Too Good For System? Last post on 7/23/13 at 3:03pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Grado On/Over Ear headphones for under $200? Last post on 12/8/12 at 6:26pm in Headphones (full-size)
- The oft-overshadowed SR125i - My Favorite Prestige Series Model. What's your favorite? Last post on 10/18/12 at 4:47pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Upgrade from Grado sr125i to rs1i? Last post on 1/24/13 at 1:11am in Headphones (full-size)
DIY Cable Info and Resources
Last edited: 10/2/13
- Grado Modification OverviewLast edited: 9/27/11
- Hi End CablesLast edited: 1/8/12
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
I've had Mentor for nearly a month before selling it and JH16fp (first deciding to sell Mentor, then putting it on hold, then selling JH, then finally selling Mentor) and thought I'd share my...
When my 2 year old DBA02 mkii's lost left channel signal strength, I needed a replacement, pronto. I took note of some good sounding <$100 IEMs from |joker|'s list and headed off to the nearest...
When it comes to Edifier, they are best known for their desktop PC speaker range and acquiring the prestigious electrostatic headphone company Stax. But just because they now own Stax doesn’t mean...
Remember Edifier? The company that now owns Stax? I recently covered their e10 Exclaim desktop speakers and found them rather impressive for just $99. While making a nice budget speaker is...
This is my first review, so please bear with me if I'm not particularly clear. 1) This is a headphones that takes time to appreciate 2) 1/2 star for the sound quality, 4&1/2 star for getting...
post your grado mods.... - Page 179post #2671 of 479812/28/12 at 10:12amHmmm...and it needs to hold its shape, or it will be useless for keeping the headphones on your head. Have you considered spring steel from hardware store like Home Depot or its Canadian equivalent?
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2672 of 479812/28/12 at 1:20pm
I think I found something that might work:
Those K&S strips seem the right dimension; the leather headband is a little under 12 inches long, and the opening in the rodblocks is right over 1/4". I'm not sure for the thickness though. Does anybody have an idea?post #2673 of 479812/28/12 at 1:28pmpost #2674 of 479812/28/12 at 1:29pmpost #2675 of 479812/28/12 at 1:35pmpost #2676 of 479812/28/12 at 2:11pmpost #2677 of 479812/28/12 at 2:11pmpost #2678 of 479812/28/12 at 3:32pmpost #2679 of 479812/28/12 at 3:36pm
Wide ;) (*edit: D'oh!)
Grado uses stainless steel and that darn headband is the only piece we aren't successfully making for ourselves yet (*edit, but the guy above me found a decent solution!). Magnum modders starting from scratch usually buy another headphone's headband (such as Sony 7506 or 7502 replacements) and we who prefer Grado-style hardware are left out of luck. Personally I would either try to find an equivalent material like you're doing, open a Want2Buy the part, or find a real cheap, used up SR60.
The dimension of the strip is about 1 mm thick, 5 mm wide, and 30 mm long; but you should ask Jinteddy7 for more precise numbers if you need.
I would also advise against removing that white cheese clothe; it's the driver's last line of defense. I have also read report of people having tried it saying it didn't change anything to the sound.
Edited by devouringone3 - 12/29/12 at 10:46ampost #2680 of 479812/28/12 at 3:53pmQuote:Originally Posted by thelostMIDrange
btw, I agree, stain has no affect on sound because it doesn't change the wood's properties, but stain is not 'finish'. Maybe that was the confusion. Finish changes the wood's properties without exception. Bang two raw wood cups together and then do it with the same finished cups. Totally different sounds will be heard.
Maybe it was finish as that makes sense. Thank you for the clarification.post #2681 of 479812/28/12 at 6:38pmQuote:
No resoldering and destroying the plastic air-chamber.
The Bamboo housing is basically the same design as the stock plastic housing...so the driver+airchamber fits right in.post #2682 of 479812/29/12 at 4:54amQuote:
Okay, thanks. I remember seeing it in bill's videos and wanted to try it.post #2683 of 479812/29/12 at 7:09ampost #2684 of 479812/29/12 at 8:24amQuote:Originally Posted by wavid
Found some old hole saws and some floorboards in my dads shed and figured id try and woody my sr60s to replace my 325 cups....Lets just say i was not very successful lol.
But i will def try again, maybe with some new hole saws and better wood. I have some nice blocks of mahogany but ill wait till i have some better hole saws and a more powerful drill.
Made one more for the left cup. Smoke everywhere and black sawdust haha, now im sure i need a better hole saw for when i make the mahogany ones.
Anyway here it is...
4 Vent holes, felt on driver and oak cups. Need to find some mesh and will def need to redo the wood.
Havent really sanded these because i kind of like the look but these wont be staying on for long, just practice cups
Edited by wavid - 12/29/12 at 8:28am
- post your grado mods....
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Grado Modification Overview
- › Yamaha hph mt220 thread (Merged) 30 seconds ago
- › HiFiMAN HM-901 - HiFiman visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. FW:1.084! pg. 1 1 minute ago
- › The (new) HD800 Appreciation Thread 1 minute ago
- › Monoprice 8320 has been updated! 2 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 2 minutes ago
- › Dunu DN-2000 - Hybrid Impressions / Appreciation Thread (It's... 2 minutes ago
- › Heir 4.A Impedance & Sensitivity Specs 3 minutes ago
- › Over-The-Ear Headphones under $200?? 3 minutes ago
- › TURNTABLE SETUP Questions thread - don't start a new thread, ASK... 3 minutes ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 3 minutes ago
- › Unique Melody Mentor acrylic universal/custom by svyr
- › Fischer Audio TBA-04 IEM by exsomnis
- › Edifier H850 by ClieOS
- › Edifier USA Spinnaker Media Speaker System (Black) by project86
- › Aftershokz Sportz M2 AS320 Open Ear Sports Headphones by sensible
- › Denon AH-D7100 Music Maniac by sjp3003
- › JVC Kenwood Victer stereo headphones HA-SZ2000 japan import by Hawaiibadboy
- › PSB M4U 1 by yay101
- › SONY Stereo headphones black MDR-1RMK2/B by Nec3
- › Audio-Technica ATH-M50S by turbomustang84
- › The Best BASS Headphones ( a Head-Fi Wiki) by Hawaiibadboy
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (In-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Over-Ear... by joe
- › Adjusting bias on Stax tube amplifiers by ardilla
- › Headphone Power Calculator Spreadsheet by robrob
- › Headphone-to-Speaker-Amp Interface With... by robrob
- › Headphone Resistor Network Calculator by robrob
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide by jude
- › 2013 Head-Fi Winter Gift Guide (Introduction) by jude