Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › RS-1 Appreciation Thread starts here!!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

RS-1 Appreciation Thread starts here!!!! - Page 2

post #16 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRedwings19
put a school skirt on the MS-pro's and smacked it up
Ooohh... I didn't know you had compared the RS-1's to the MS-Pro's. What are your impressions on that? I'd read all these posts by Sheng Ti Chen about how the MS-Pros were so much better, and had started to doubt the RS-1 faith....

Gear mentioned in this thread:

post #17 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by recstar24
The RS-1's are by far my favorite headphones. They simply do music "right" to my ears. Great bass, a wonderful midrange, really extended up high with a slight smidgen of warmth, incredible imaging and soundstaging that is out of this world when paired with a good tubed amp, and PRAT up the yin-yang. Throw some clarinet or saxophone and you'll hear the way the instruments were meant to be played and the way they are supposed to sound in real life, no other headphone recreates the woodwind sound so close to the real thing IMO. Strings are godly, you can hear the vibrato from the fingers and the resin layering against the string, with each bow stroke clearly defined and you get a real sense of the player digging into the string. Voices are pretty awesome too, almost a lush-like quality to it.

In my experience, RS-1's have better lower level resolution than even the vaulted hp-2's. RS-1's are surprisingly very refined and have great sonic ability on my rig as well, right up there with my hd650's in terms of pure sonic ability. Good recordings sound amazing, bad recordings sound like garbage, hey, its just doing its job, thats all...

Everytime I put on my RS-1's, I get very distinct memories from my college days. My college's recital hall is a small venue that features various woods such as mahogany, oak, some maple, and various other hardwoods that really gives the place a reverberant, lively, and highly acoustical sound to the performances that occur their, such as my vocal recitals that I use to do. When I put on the RS-1's, I can close my eyes and be transported back to those vocal recitals, where my college musical experience consisted of recreating and producing art songs, jazz standards, musical theater, and other operatic classics as well.

I love my RS-1's because they make music the way I like it, they make the music come alive and they remind why I chose to be a music teacher and choir director in the first place.
What he said! Ryan is my go too guy on sound. He has never let me down yet, and what a great writer he is. I asked Ryan what Grado he would recomend and he said:......... "I would go for the real deal the R-1" (something like that) and with 30 plus hours of burn in they are my favorite headphone. My ER 4P's are waiting for a P to S from Headroom (and maybe custom tips) but I just don't see them coming close to the sound from my RS-1 Thanks Ryan and Grado!
post #18 of 721
RS-1s are great, a bit pricey if you ask me bvut great nonetheless.
post #19 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by morphie
RS-1s are great, a bit pricey if you ask me bvut great nonetheless.
But if you get say the Senn. 600,650 for example and add the custom cables you are up to "even steven" with the RS-1. Yes?
post #20 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmaxx
But if you get say the Senn. 600,650 for example and add the custom cables you are up to "even steven" with the RS-1. Yes?
Yes again.
I have the 650 W/ Cardas & the RS-1.
Why?
The RS-1 is fun and exciting, but to be very honest it is colored, has some severe peaks in the highs and does not sound good with all music.

The 650's always sound good, a little too smooth sometimes, but never offensive.

I find myself reaching for the RS-1 first lately, enjoying the light weight and speed. I have also installed the Sennheiser 414 pads with a hole cut in the center (courtesy of an old socket & a hammer) and they are even more comfortable than before and sound as good as the flats.
post #21 of 721
I never really appreciated the RS-1 until I paired it with the RA-1 amp. I had always disliked the rather thick, syrupy lower midrange/upper bass that characterized the RS-1 with every amp I tried. Enter the RA-1. The thick lower mids I felt objectionable were now gone. To my ears, it's the most musical combo I have. The bass slam, the famous Grado midrange, and a top-end that is extended yet smooth.........it's got it all! And lightweight to boot.
post #22 of 721
Has anyone tried them out with an SR-71?I am curious cause i am interested in the phones but i am not willing to change amp.
post #23 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelongwood
I never really appreciated the RS-1 until I paired it with the RA-1 amp. I had always disliked the rather thick, syrupy lower midrange/upper bass that characterized the RS-1 with every amp I tried. Enter the RA-1. The thick lower mids I felt objectionable were now gone. To my ears, it's the most musical combo I have. The bass slam, the famous Grado midrange, and a top-end that is extended yet smooth.........it's got it all! And lightweight to boot.
I was thinking about trying an RA-1 with the RS-1 to see if there was any special synergy going on between the two of them.

Know anybody with one for sale?
post #24 of 721
I finally took the plunge and just ordered my RS-1s. They're supposed to arrive on Monday. The anticipation is driving me nuts!
post #25 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by recstar24
Throw some clarinet or saxophone and you'll hear the way the instruments were meant to be played and the way they are supposed to sound in real life, no other headphone recreates the woodwind sound so close to the real thing IMO. Strings are godly, you can hear the vibrato from the fingers and the resin layering against the string, with each bow stroke clearly defined and you get a real sense of the player digging into the string.

Exactly. I have written about this many many times, especially the first part of the quote. No headphone does woodwinds justice like the RS-1's. Not one single phone, not the HP-1000's, not the R10's, not the Omega II's and (I am guessing) not the HE90's. Throw vinyl into the mix and one will realize that John has a golden ear.
post #26 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoide
Hmm... I keep on reading complains like these. Do you mean it hurt them externally (as in comfort) or do you mean that it actually hurt your hearing?

Edit: I ask because I read a guy's post where he said the SR-225's gave him tinnitus like crazy.
Hurt my eardrums. It wasn't just the highs either. The sound as a whole was somewhat painful, but you must also realized I listen to grados for hours on end. It builds up. But I enjoyed the signature of the phones. Bowls + flats 4 eva.
post #27 of 721
The RS-1's are the best current-production headphone under $1000, imho. And they compete against much more expensive cans, regardless of price. I've listened to, and owned a lot of headphones in the <$1k pricerange, and to me, the top-of-the-line Grado sound is the only one that just sounds "right". They simply let me enjoy my music without wishing I could tweak this, or change that.
post #28 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris
Has anyone tried them out with an SR-71?I am curious cause i am interested in the phones but i am not willing to change amp.
Yep awhile back I reported at length on the RA-1 versus the SR-71 with the RS-1. Long story short, with the RS-1, this was the result-

1)RA-1 had great extension in the highs (or was it just bumped? bright? almost harsh?), agressive mids/lows - nice and deep, but more slam than substance. Like how a reedy bassoon can get low, versus a Fender P-Bass.

2)SR-71. Black as night. Compared to the RA-1, which had a bit of noise coming through the floor (but only compared to the void which was the SR-71.) Each note seemed more rounded, being so separated by absolute silence. Attack not as aggressive as the RA-1, but I wouldn't say the SR-71 made the RS-1 warmer - the RS-1 still had that signature dry wooden cask feel. Mids might have felt more congested.

The overall impression was the SR-71 to be darker than the RA-1. But then, was the RA-1 being artifically bumped in the highs? Maybe...
post #29 of 721
rs-1 gives me a better impression than hd650 when i test them both for some time though not long enough to say which is better.
post #30 of 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by recstar24
The RS-1's are by far my favorite headphones. They simply do music "right" to my ears. Great bass, a wonderful midrange, really extended up high with a slight smidgen of warmth, incredible imaging and soundstaging that is out of this world when paired with a good tubed amp, and PRAT up the yin-yang. Throw some clarinet or saxophone and you'll hear the way the instruments were meant to be played and the way they are supposed to sound in real life, no other headphone recreates the woodwind sound so close to the real thing IMO. Strings are godly, you can hear the vibrato from the fingers and the resin layering against the string, with each bow stroke clearly defined and you get a real sense of the player digging into the string. Voices are pretty awesome too, almost a lush-like quality to it.
recstar24 does a pretty good job at summing up some of the RS-1's best qualities. For me the RS-1's bring me closer to the music and sound more realistic on everything than any other headphone I've tried to date.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)

Gear mentioned in this thread:

Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › RS-1 Appreciation Thread starts here!!!!