Originally Posted by tigen
well I have to think sound quality factors in there somewhere, for me...
How is the sound on the new Sonys for MP3 compared to others? I read somewhere someone claiming that MP3 didn't sound as good on Sony. I think this was referring to the new flash players. I thought the newest Sonys no longer require conversion to ATRAC which was the main problem before.
The new ones (HD3) are supposed to sound pretty damned good, i havent heard lots of reviews on the HD3 but all of them have praised the SQ. The ATRAC was what killed the HD1 for many, and when the HD3 came out i think alot of people saw it as a sad attempt to make up for the mistakes of the HD1. The HD5 doesnt, it looks like its own player and i think that the buttons are quite refreshing from all the curved shapes of the other players, its good to see a Lamborgini amongst the curvy Jaguars of the DAP's.
I have a quick question. Sites say that this will retail for 200 euro, i later converted that to about 257 bucks. So the question is, will sony round up? or round down (i hope they round down
Here's the things i think sony is going to have to nail down (and hard) if they want to take a big share of the market.
- User Interface (UI). This is a simple and very complicated problem and i really dont know if sony will be able to pull of a UI like the Karma, ipod, or micro. (some people feel that the HD3/1 UI is decent but i cant vouch for it because i've only seen the HD3, take it for what you will)
- Sound Quality. I think if they dont stray too far off course from the HD3, sony will be fine
- Price. Having this priced below the ipod will help immensly, especially with the looks that this player has IMO.
- Software. I think we all know how this is going to turn out
- BUGS! . The H10 would have had a much better out of the gate performance if iriver would have fixed all the bugs in the US version, instead they rushed it out and updated it months later. The HD3 has wait screens for when your looking around in your library (as i understand it), its probably not a bug per se but its something that should have been fixed before it got shipped out. If this player cant run smoothly its doomed.
- Features. Other than the turn screen...there arnt any (yet). a bit dissapointing to most but i guess if the ipod can roll without any features the HD5 can too. (solitare doesnt count
although the turn screen doesnt much count either IMO) The ipod still has all of the legions of companies ready and willing to sell accessories for the ipod.
If there are any corrections (im sure there will be)/opinions/additions that you want to add to the list feel free to comment.