Of the two new amp coming out, the Bryston and the GS-X. From a technical perspective what would be the differences in these amps. Both seem to be of a fully balanced design. However, the GS-X is likely to cost 2x as much (maybe). I know we're not able to compare the sound sigs of both yet - but from a topology perspective - what's the difference?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Powerful dac/amps with quality sound for orthos. Last post on 9/30/11 at 12:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Is LUXMAN - P-1u still in the top tier? Last post on 5/11/12 at 2:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The best Headphone Amp under 1000usd Last post on 4/7/11 at 11:50pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class A Headphone amps. Last post on 3/21/11 at 1:00pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headamp/Preamp for ~$1000? Last post on 3/10/11 at 7:10am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
i've read a number of reviews around the net which criticize the k812's for harsh treble and limited bass - all i can say is that my experience with these 'phones does NOT bear that out. the bass...
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
The Korean company really needs no introduction at this point. They have proven themselves as a capable IEM maker with a series of top of the line hybrid as well as some good sound yet budget...
These iems are better than some entry levels (Shure 215/ hifiman RE0/ RE 400/ Sennheiser CX300) with a wider soundstage due to the 13mm dynamic driver , however need serious burn in for at least 50...
First, I’d like to thank the folks at Narmoo for providing a sample of their R1M earphones for review. In recent years, the IEM market has sort of exploded, seeing a number of established...
- Headphone Impedance
The GS-1 Thread - Page 20
Gear mentioned in this thread:
As I said a few posts back, the GS-X is still a headphone amp/pre-amp. It is not a speaker amplifier, or a speaker amp pretending to be a headphone amp, or a headphone amp pretending to be a speaker amp. It will not be the most powerful headphone amp in existence, but it could certainly drive the HE-6 especially in balanced mode.
If you really want a lot of power, I would suggest: http://www.firstwatt.com/
Notice the name and the philosophy: "The first watt is the most important watt". High power chip amps tend to have high distortion at low levels, as well as high noise. Even though some headphones like the HE-6 may be very inefficient people would be surprised to know that they are probably only averaging a few milliwatts of power at normal listening level. no different from the philosophy of these amplifiers for powering speakers.
if you still want something that can blow up your phones, for something vintage and cheap try a Hafler DH200 or similar speaker amp. Still beats the crap out of most modern stuff.
Thanks for the frank and detailed feedback, Justin. Based on what you've said, I will probably just keep my eyes out for a First Watt amp to use with the HE-6, as the pure Class A Pass Labs amps are beyond what I'm looking to spend just for powering a headphone for the moment.
For some reason I thought First Watt was another one of Nelson Pass' companies, and didn't realize it was a small outfit where he sold personally designed amps for the enthusiast crowd. I have seen very few First Watt amp reviews (but a lot of Aleph reviews) and will do more investigation. Honestly, if it's for dynamics, I'd rather just have a Nelson Pass design, but something a bit newer than the Alephs.
Not sure about the AC coupled output (do you have any good pics on the inside, especially underneath the boards?) but the Bryston certainly isn't fully balanced. It only has a two gang volume and balance control so SE input only.
Should we start a new GS-X thread to acknowledge Justin's revision and the fact that this is the GS-1 thread ?? Given that I haven't even heard either amp, its not my place to do so - someone ?
Solude is right. There is no point in splitting or starting a new GS-1 thread given that:
- It's best to consolidate all information about a narrow family of devices within a single thread.
- There are enough commonalities between the GS-1 and GS-X with respect to design, performance, and purchasing considerations.
- Consolidating information within a single thread makes it easier for new people to gather information.
- Fewer threads helps Justin, by reducing the number of HF threads he has to manage communications across.
Your jab at Solude isn't funny or warranted. You asked a question and said that it's not your place and you haven't heard either amp. Solude gave you an answer. Let's get back on topic.
Justin, what is the point of putting in the new modules into older units if there is not additional voltage output? also, can V2s or V2SEs be updated too?
- The GS-1 Thread
- › Chord Hugo 18 seconds ago
- › Formula 1-fi (Read the First Post!) 31 seconds ago
- › Which amp to buy for DT770 250 ohm? 55 seconds ago
- › Philips FIdelio X2?! 1 minute ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 1 minute ago
- › Grado Fan Club! 1 minute ago
- › Burson Conductor for Sale or Trade UPGRADED [EU] 2 minutes ago
- › iBasso DX90. Dual Sabre, 1st page to reformat latest FW download &... 2 minutes ago
- › [New] Philips Fidelio X1 3 minutes ago
- › PC Enthusiast-Fi (PC Gaming/Hardware/Software/Overclocking) 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp by shak85
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by cel4145
- › TDK BA200 by Ch1Kn
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)