Of the two new amp coming out, the Bryston and the GS-X. From a technical perspective what would be the differences in these amps. Both seem to be of a fully balanced design. However, the GS-X is likely to cost 2x as much (maybe). I know we're not able to compare the sound sigs of both yet - but from a topology perspective - what's the difference?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Powerful dac/amps with quality sound for orthos. Last post on 9/30/11 at 12:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Is LUXMAN - P-1u still in the top tier? Last post on 5/11/12 at 2:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The best Headphone Amp under 1000usd Last post on 4/7/11 at 11:50pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class A Headphone amps. Last post on 2/4/15 at 8:54pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headamp/Preamp for ~$1000? Last post on 3/10/11 at 7:10am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Firstly like to thank Chuck from 1964 Ears for organising the Pendulumic Stance S1+ headphones for this review. Pendulumic is a relatively new company in the headphone world, and...
Introduction: RHA is a fairly new audio company that has made quite a splash recently with their MA750 and T10 IEMs. RHA has recently announced their new T20 IEM which is due to be released...
I do not own this unit – I had this unit from @fnkcow With Impedance of 320ohm this earbuds need a good amp to show its worth. I use my phone during my first listen to the zen and it sounds...
Cayin C5DAC: A Deadly Challenger in the Portable Market *Please click on the photos for the highest quality. [[SPOILER]] About me & IntroductionI am a student who is a music...
Me: am an amateur musician & avid admirer of music from India. I would like to call myself a music enthusiast, rather than an audiophile. I was inspired by music since childhood, and as the time...
- Headphone Impedance
The GS-1 Thread - Page 20
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
As I said a few posts back, the GS-X is still a headphone amp/pre-amp. It is not a speaker amplifier, or a speaker amp pretending to be a headphone amp, or a headphone amp pretending to be a speaker amp. It will not be the most powerful headphone amp in existence, but it could certainly drive the HE-6 especially in balanced mode.
If you really want a lot of power, I would suggest: http://www.firstwatt.com/
Notice the name and the philosophy: "The first watt is the most important watt". High power chip amps tend to have high distortion at low levels, as well as high noise. Even though some headphones like the HE-6 may be very inefficient people would be surprised to know that they are probably only averaging a few milliwatts of power at normal listening level. no different from the philosophy of these amplifiers for powering speakers.
if you still want something that can blow up your phones, for something vintage and cheap try a Hafler DH200 or similar speaker amp. Still beats the crap out of most modern stuff.
Thanks for the frank and detailed feedback, Justin. Based on what you've said, I will probably just keep my eyes out for a First Watt amp to use with the HE-6, as the pure Class A Pass Labs amps are beyond what I'm looking to spend just for powering a headphone for the moment.
For some reason I thought First Watt was another one of Nelson Pass' companies, and didn't realize it was a small outfit where he sold personally designed amps for the enthusiast crowd. I have seen very few First Watt amp reviews (but a lot of Aleph reviews) and will do more investigation. Honestly, if it's for dynamics, I'd rather just have a Nelson Pass design, but something a bit newer than the Alephs.
Not sure about the AC coupled output (do you have any good pics on the inside, especially underneath the boards?) but the Bryston certainly isn't fully balanced. It only has a two gang volume and balance control so SE input only.
Should we start a new GS-X thread to acknowledge Justin's revision and the fact that this is the GS-1 thread ?? Given that I haven't even heard either amp, its not my place to do so - someone ?
Solude is right. There is no point in splitting or starting a new GS-1 thread given that:
- It's best to consolidate all information about a narrow family of devices within a single thread.
- There are enough commonalities between the GS-1 and GS-X with respect to design, performance, and purchasing considerations.
- Consolidating information within a single thread makes it easier for new people to gather information.
- Fewer threads helps Justin, by reducing the number of HF threads he has to manage communications across.
Your jab at Solude isn't funny or warranted. You asked a question and said that it's not your place and you haven't heard either amp. Solude gave you an answer. Let's get back on topic.
Justin, what is the point of putting in the new modules into older units if there is not additional voltage output? also, can V2s or V2SEs be updated too?
- The GS-1 Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 2 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 3 minutes ago
- › The Astell & Kern AK120 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › 6' Sennheiser Headphone Cable HD25 HD525 HD535 HD565 HD600 HD650... 3 minutes ago
- › Explain your avatar 5 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Canare L-4E6S Aux 3.5mm (1/8") Stereo Cable w/ Neutrik REAN... 6 minutes ago
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1+ Bluetooth Wireless Headphones by pformagg
- › RHA T20 by Cotnijoe
- › VE Zen by boneofimba
- › Cayin Spark C5 DAC Portable USB DAC + Headphone Amplifier by xkonfuzed
- › TCG Audio TRD3+ Desktop HeadAmp & 32/384DAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Xiaomi Pistons 3.0 in-ear headphones by FYLegend
- › Woo Audio WA5 LE by Nosbig
- › Microsoft Lumia 435 UNLOCKED Windows Phone 8 WP8 2G GSM... by mark2410
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Pokemonn
- › CustomArt Ei.3 acrylic custom IEM by Cotnijoe
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)