Of the two new amp coming out, the Bryston and the GS-X. From a technical perspective what would be the differences in these amps. Both seem to be of a fully balanced design. However, the GS-X is likely to cost 2x as much (maybe). I know we're not able to compare the sound sigs of both yet - but from a topology perspective - what's the difference?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Powerful dac/amps with quality sound for orthos. Last post on 9/30/11 at 12:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Is LUXMAN - P-1u still in the top tier? Last post on 5/11/12 at 2:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The best Headphone Amp under 1000usd Last post on 7/15/15 at 1:08am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class A Headphone amps. Last post on 7/18/15 at 12:19pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headamp/Preamp for ~$1000? Last post on 3/10/11 at 7:10am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs)
Last edited: 12/6/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2Last edited: 12/16/16
- Diy Beginners GuideLast edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONThis is the 2nd pair of IEMs sent to me for evaluation recently by FiiO. You can find my...
Unboxing This package came in an unassuming black box with the branding directly on the front. Opening it reveals the very nice semi-hard case that stores the earphones. Opening the case...
Intro I wanted to start this review off with a Swiss Army knife joke but it looks like several Head-Fiers have already did that so in a futile attempt to be both funny and original I’ll start off...
This is the video review of the Cayin i5 Digital Audio Player. The player has been compared with iDSD Micro BL and Audeze Cypher cable for its sound qualities. Skip to 12 minutes 50 seconds mark...
DISCLAIMER The Empire Ears Zeus-R was purchased during my trip to the Empire Ears office at Buford, Georgia. The Empire Ears team have since moved their operations to their newer and larger...
The GS-1 Thread - Page 20post #286 of 5416/28/12 at 5:46am
Head-Fi's Best Sellerspost #287 of 5416/28/12 at 9:41ampost #288 of 5416/28/12 at 7:50pmQuote:Originally Posted by justin w.
As I said a few posts back, the GS-X is still a headphone amp/pre-amp. It is not a speaker amplifier, or a speaker amp pretending to be a headphone amp, or a headphone amp pretending to be a speaker amp. It will not be the most powerful headphone amp in existence, but it could certainly drive the HE-6 especially in balanced mode.
If you really want a lot of power, I would suggest: http://www.firstwatt.com/
Notice the name and the philosophy: "The first watt is the most important watt". High power chip amps tend to have high distortion at low levels, as well as high noise. Even though some headphones like the HE-6 may be very inefficient people would be surprised to know that they are probably only averaging a few milliwatts of power at normal listening level. no different from the philosophy of these amplifiers for powering speakers.
if you still want something that can blow up your phones, for something vintage and cheap try a Hafler DH200 or similar speaker amp. Still beats the crap out of most modern stuff.
Thanks for the frank and detailed feedback, Justin. Based on what you've said, I will probably just keep my eyes out for a First Watt amp to use with the HE-6, as the pure Class A Pass Labs amps are beyond what I'm looking to spend just for powering a headphone for the moment.
For some reason I thought First Watt was another one of Nelson Pass' companies, and didn't realize it was a small outfit where he sold personally designed amps for the enthusiast crowd. I have seen very few First Watt amp reviews (but a lot of Aleph reviews) and will do more investigation. Honestly, if it's for dynamics, I'd rather just have a Nelson Pass design, but something a bit newer than the Alephs.post #289 of 5416/30/12 at 6:10amQuote:
Not sure about the AC coupled output (do you have any good pics on the inside, especially underneath the boards?) but the Bryston certainly isn't fully balanced. It only has a two gang volume and balance control so SE input only.post #290 of 5416/30/12 at 10:42ampost #291 of 5416/30/12 at 1:17pmpost #292 of 5416/30/12 at 1:18pmpost #293 of 5416/30/12 at 1:35pmpost #294 of 5416/30/12 at 1:55pmpost #295 of 5416/30/12 at 2:23pmpost #296 of 5417/1/12 at 5:45am
Should we start a new GS-X thread to acknowledge Justin's revision and the fact that this is the GS-1 thread ?? Given that I haven't even heard either amp, its not my place to do so - someone ?post #297 of 5417/1/12 at 9:35ampost #298 of 5417/1/12 at 6:17pm
Solude is right. There is no point in splitting or starting a new GS-1 thread given that:
- It's best to consolidate all information about a narrow family of devices within a single thread.
- There are enough commonalities between the GS-1 and GS-X with respect to design, performance, and purchasing considerations.
- Consolidating information within a single thread makes it easier for new people to gather information.
- Fewer threads helps Justin, by reducing the number of HF threads he has to manage communications across.
Your jab at Solude isn't funny or warranted. You asked a question and said that it's not your place and you haven't heard either amp. Solude gave you an answer. Let's get back on topic.post #299 of 5417/1/12 at 6:26pmpost #300 of 5417/3/12 at 12:43pmQuote:
Justin, what is the point of putting in the new modules into older units if there is not additional voltage output? also, can V2s or V2SEs be updated too?
- The GS-1 Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Desktop Amps & DACs) 2
- › FiiO In-Ear Monitors EX1 2nd gen is on the market now ! 39 seconds ago
- › FiiO X7 | DXD | DSD | 384K/64B | ESS9018+ Android | WiFi |... 56 seconds ago
- › FS: FiiO RC-SE1 MMCX Cable 1 minute ago
- › The DIY'rs Cookbook 1 minute ago
- › V-MODA M-100: Discussion/Feedback, Reviews, Pics, etc. 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Review Tour starts right now!!---Android... 4 minutes ago
- › DT990 cable coming loose? Any way to prevent that before it gets... 8 minutes ago
- › The Beyerdynamic Tesla DT 1350 Impressions thread 8 minutes ago
- › FS: HD600 Grill Caps x 2 Australia 11 minutes ago
- › The 6SN7 Identification Guide 11 minutes ago
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Yethal
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear