Of the two new amp coming out, the Bryston and the GS-X. From a technical perspective what would be the differences in these amps. Both seem to be of a fully balanced design. However, the GS-X is likely to cost 2x as much (maybe). I know we're not able to compare the sound sigs of both yet - but from a topology perspective - what's the difference?
Recent Images In This Thread
Related Forum Threads
- Powerful dac/amps with quality sound for orthos. Last post on 9/30/11 at 12:59am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Is LUXMAN - P-1u still in the top tier? Last post on 5/11/12 at 2:52am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- The best Headphone Amp under 1000usd Last post on 4/7/11 at 11:50pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Class A Headphone amps. Last post on 3/21/11 at 1:00pm in Headphone Amps (full-size)
- Headamp/Preamp for ~$1000? Last post on 3/10/11 at 7:10am in Headphone Amps (full-size)
Diy Beginners Guide
Last edited: 7/22/13
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Overall Impressions This is a amazingly looking device, it does not matter how you look at it, it is simply a pleasure to look at. That is the first impact that one have once you look at it,...
The Pendulumic Stance S1 is an excellent "bluetooth" headphone. I'm sure there are better sounding "wireless" headphones and at some level believe the category should be divided into wireless and...
First of all, I'd like to thank Cayin for opportunity to review C5. As usual, main review is in Russian, here I'll share mt impressions in brief. There is not so many good portable amps in sub...
Ah, yes. The SE215, quite possibly the most popular entry-level IEM on the market at the moment, and for good reason. These headphones are perfect for any budding audio enthusiast thanks to its...
Shure has definitely outdone themselves with this wonderful product. Never have I experienced more clarity in a pair of IEMs. For someone who listens to alternative rock, pop, and an assorted array...
- Headphone Impedance
The GS-1 Thread - Page 20
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
As I said a few posts back, the GS-X is still a headphone amp/pre-amp. It is not a speaker amplifier, or a speaker amp pretending to be a headphone amp, or a headphone amp pretending to be a speaker amp. It will not be the most powerful headphone amp in existence, but it could certainly drive the HE-6 especially in balanced mode.
If you really want a lot of power, I would suggest: http://www.firstwatt.com/
Notice the name and the philosophy: "The first watt is the most important watt". High power chip amps tend to have high distortion at low levels, as well as high noise. Even though some headphones like the HE-6 may be very inefficient people would be surprised to know that they are probably only averaging a few milliwatts of power at normal listening level. no different from the philosophy of these amplifiers for powering speakers.
if you still want something that can blow up your phones, for something vintage and cheap try a Hafler DH200 or similar speaker amp. Still beats the crap out of most modern stuff.
Thanks for the frank and detailed feedback, Justin. Based on what you've said, I will probably just keep my eyes out for a First Watt amp to use with the HE-6, as the pure Class A Pass Labs amps are beyond what I'm looking to spend just for powering a headphone for the moment.
For some reason I thought First Watt was another one of Nelson Pass' companies, and didn't realize it was a small outfit where he sold personally designed amps for the enthusiast crowd. I have seen very few First Watt amp reviews (but a lot of Aleph reviews) and will do more investigation. Honestly, if it's for dynamics, I'd rather just have a Nelson Pass design, but something a bit newer than the Alephs.
Not sure about the AC coupled output (do you have any good pics on the inside, especially underneath the boards?) but the Bryston certainly isn't fully balanced. It only has a two gang volume and balance control so SE input only.
Should we start a new GS-X thread to acknowledge Justin's revision and the fact that this is the GS-1 thread ?? Given that I haven't even heard either amp, its not my place to do so - someone ?
Solude is right. There is no point in splitting or starting a new GS-1 thread given that:
- It's best to consolidate all information about a narrow family of devices within a single thread.
- There are enough commonalities between the GS-1 and GS-X with respect to design, performance, and purchasing considerations.
- Consolidating information within a single thread makes it easier for new people to gather information.
- Fewer threads helps Justin, by reducing the number of HF threads he has to manage communications across.
Your jab at Solude isn't funny or warranted. You asked a question and said that it's not your place and you haven't heard either amp. Solude gave you an answer. Let's get back on topic.
Justin, what is the point of putting in the new modules into older units if there is not additional voltage output? also, can V2s or V2SEs be updated too?
- The GS-1 Thread
Head-Fi's Best Sellers
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 9 seconds ago
- › The Deals DISCUSSION Thread (READ THE FIRST POST!!!) 25 seconds ago
- › = Hifiman Regrilling Mod = 1 minute ago
- › Amping for AKG Q701 1 minute ago
- › The Astell and Kern AK240 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › = Hifiman HE500 & HE400 Jergpad Mod v2.5 = 1 minute ago
- › Lab 1 The latest version High End iem fom Final Audio Design and My... 1 minute ago
- › Really torn on which headphones to get. 4 minutes ago
- › Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion 6 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 7 minutes ago
- › Sony PHA-1 Headphone Amp by LeoTheAwesome
- › PENDULUMIC STANCE S1 Wireless Headphones by mpm2433
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by cleg
- › Shure SE215 by Dinerenblanc
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by Dinerenblanc
- › Sony MDR-Z7 by Currawong
- › RHA T10i by Audiophile1811
- › Schiit Valhalla by Willy 2 Streams
- › Sennheiser HD-518 by quajaebisquiti
- › Brainwavz R3 Revised Edition by earfonia
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)