Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The GS-1 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The GS-1 Thread - Page 19

post #271 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by winzzz View Post

wow new gs-x.. when will it be available justin ?  i need to save up soon regular_smile%20.gif

 

i'll have more info in a couple weeks after i've assembled the prototype.  it uses the same footprint enclosures, which I already have, so it shouldn't be too long a wait.

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #272 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post

I'm also working on new Gilmore amp modules that will boost the power output and could be retrofitted into the GS-1 or older GS-X

 

 

 

How many watts per channel will the new GS-X put out?

 

Darryl

post #273 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post
In addition to those list of improvements for this refreshed GS-X, the enclosure design will match the Blue Hawaii SE (BHSE) with the polished & laser engraved front panel.

 

I'm also working on new Gilmore amp modules that will boost the power output and could be retrofitted into the GS-1 or older GS-X

 

For now the price of the GS-X remains the same but there will likely be an increase when it is released to cover the costs of these improvements.  

 

WAT.

 

Do you have a trade-up program? Could I send mine in and just pay for the difference for the new one? tongue.gif


Edited by Asr - 6/19/12 at 1:33pm
post #274 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by preproman View Post

 

 

How many watts per channel will the new GS-X put out?

 

Darryl

 

don't know yet.  the original amp (in single ended mode) will output about 17Vpp.  by increasing the power supply voltage from +/-16.4 to +/-20, this would increase to 24Vpp.  or, in balanced output, an increase from 34Vpp to 48Vpp.  

 

the output current of the new modules will likely be dependent on the heat that can be safely dissipated with small heatsinks on the module boards.  but remember the GS-X is also a pre-amp, not a power amplifier.  i'm anticipating I will be able to nearly double the amount of output current with the small heatsinks on the modules.  

 

the new modules can be retrofitted into the existing GS-1 or GS-X just without the benefit of the additional voltage output.  the old modules can NOT be used in the new GS-X, assuming the above changes are implemented.

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #275 of 540

Justin, I'm beginning to wonder just when you find time to eat and sleep, given the insane popularity of the BHSE. I'm in awe of your energy levels - I'd spend a single day bent over a bench with a soldering iron and that would be it for at least a week ! Horses for courses, I guess. 

post #276 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post

 

don't know yet.  the original amp (in single ended mode) will output about 17Vpp.  by increasing the power supply voltage from +/-16.4 to +/-20, this would increase to 24Vpp.  or, in balanced output, an increase from 34Vpp to 48Vpp.  

 

the output current of the new modules will likely be dependent on the heat that can be safely dissipated with small heatsinks on the module boards.  but remember the GS-X is also a pre-amp, not a power amplifier.  i'm anticipating I will be able to nearly double the amount of output current with the small heatsinks on the modules.  

 

the new modules can be retrofitted into the existing GS-1 or GS-X just without the benefit of the additional voltage output.  the old modules can NOT be used in the new GS-X, assuming the above changes are implemented.

I don't even know how to calculate that.  Can the smart people tell me how many watts that is into how many ohms?  Thanks..

post #277 of 540

I gotta ask a few dumb questions;  I've had a GS-1 for years.  Use it with North Star 192 DAC. & T-1s, 650s, 880s, 701s (very rarely)

 

Why do we need more power in the GS-1?

 

What is more power going to do?  Will it make the GS-1 sound better/different?  If so, how?

 

What will the new modules do for the GS-1?  Are they going to make it sound better/different?  If so, how?

 

The GS-1 is very resolving and very transparent.  Will the new modules make the GS-1 more resolving or transparent?  The same for increased power?

 

Under what circumstances would I want to upgrade to the new modules and under what circumstances would I want to upgrade to increased power?

 

I just don't get it, yet.

post #278 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by upstateguy View Post

I gotta ask a few dumb questions;  I've had a GS-1 for years.  Use it with North Star 192 DAC. & T-1s, 650s, 880s, 701s (very rarely)

 

Why do we need more power in the GS-1?

 

What is more power going to do?  Will it make the GS-1 sound better/different?  If so, how?

 

What will the new modules do for the GS-1?  Are they going to make it sound better/different?  If so, how?

 

The GS-1 is very resolving and very transparent.  Will the new modules make the GS-1 more resolving or transparent?  The same for increased power?

 

Under what circumstances would I want to upgrade to the new modules and under what circumstances would I want to upgrade to increased power?

 

I just don't get it, yet.

 

What I will do is release a module that:

- Is more powerful (either through higher voltage output, higher current output, or both)

- Keeps the dead quiet noise floor

- Is still unity gain stable

- Is backwards compatible with older GS-1/GS-X amps

 

So nothing is lost, but more power is gained.  This will mean the GS-1 will do better (less distortion) at driving low sensitivity headphones as well as driving them to higher SPL before clipping.

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #279 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post

 

What I will do is release a module that:

- Is more powerful (either through higher voltage output, higher current output, or both)

- Keeps the dead quiet noise floor

- Is still unity gain stable

- Is backwards compatible with older GS-1/GS-X amps

 

So nothing is lost, but more power is gained.  This will mean the GS-1 will do better (less distortion) at driving low sensitivity headphones as well as driving them to higher SPL before clipping.

 

Estimated date of release and costs?

Thanks Justin.

post #280 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacedonianHero View Post

 

Estimated date of release and costs?

Thanks Justin.

 

this summer.  though that really depends.  getting reels of some of the transistors can take 3 months since they're not stocked.  OR, pay literally 10x as much from a place that keeps some amount in stock.  i'd estimate $200 for GS-1 modules and $400 for the GS-X.  possibly a discount for trading in the old modules.

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #281 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post

this summer.  though that really depends.  getting reels of some of the transistors can take 3 months since they're not stocked.  OR, pay literally 10x as much from a place that keeps some amount in stock.  i'd estimate $200 for GS-1 modules and $400 for the GS-X.  possibly a discount for trading in the old modules.

Cool thanks Justin. Please keep us posted.
post #282 of 540

Questions for Justin re new modules:

 

1.  Would replacing the modules in my 1 year old GS-X offer any additional advantages in sound quality beyond providing increased power?   I use the amp with HD800s and feel that it drives them extremely well.  I do not plan to buy a planar HP that requires more power. 

 

2.  Would the GS-X modules be able to be replaced by the user, or would this require returning the unit to you?   

 

thanks

post #283 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by twsmith View Post

Questions for Justin re new modules:

 

1.  Would replacing the modules in my 1 year old GS-X offer any additional advantages in sound quality beyond providing increased power?   I use the amp with HD800s and feel that it drives them extremely well.  I do not plan to buy a planar HP that requires more power. 

 

2.  Would the GS-X modules be able to be replaced by the user, or would this require returning the unit to you?   

 

thanks

 

1.  other improvements I can't comment on right now because I am still working on them.  but increased power is a pretty big deal.  the existing Gilmore design is already very low noise and very transparent.  i am not going down the road of "it will sound like a tube amp!" or "you wont believe the bass now!". 

 

2.  they are user replaceable

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
post #284 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin w. View Post

1.  other improvements I can't comment on right now because I am still working on them.  but increased power is a pretty big deal.  the existing Gilmore design is already very low noise and very transparent.  i am not going down the road of "it will sound like a tube amp!" or "you wont believe the bass now!". 

 

2.  they are user replaceable

 

I am very glad I just read this thread, as I was about to pull the trigger on a speaker amp to drive the HE-6s.

 

I know this is premature, but with the GS-X power upgrade, do you think the GS-X will compare to the Dark Star when it comes to powering the HE-6 (just as good or better?).  I am looking for a high-end SS amp to pair with the HE-6 and have been looking for a good excuse to buy the GS-X.

 

Justin and Kevin, please make the GS-X beat the Dark Star when it comes to the HE-6.


Edited by Elysian - 6/27/12 at 6:57pm
post #285 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post

 

I am very glad I just read this thread, as I was about to pull the trigger on a speaker amp to drive the HE-6s.

 

I know this is premature, but with the GS-X power upgrade, do you think the GS-X will compare to the Dark Star when it comes to powering the HE-6 (just as good or better?).  I am looking for a high-end SS amp to pair with the HE-6 and have been looking for a good excuse to buy the GS-X.

 

Justin and Kevin, please make the GS-X beat the Dark Star when it comes to the HE-6.

 

As I said a few posts back, the GS-X is still a headphone amp/pre-amp.  It is not a speaker amplifier, or a speaker amp pretending to be a headphone amp, or a headphone amp pretending to be a speaker amp.  It will not be the most powerful headphone amp in existence, but it could certainly drive the HE-6 especially in balanced mode.

 

If you really want a lot of power, I would suggest: http://www.firstwatt.com/

 

Notice the name and the philosophy: "The first watt is the most important watt".  High power chip amps tend to have high distortion at low levels, as well as high noise.  Even though some headphones like the HE-6 may be very inefficient people would be surprised to know that they are probably only averaging a few milliwatts of power at normal listening level.  no different from the philosophy of these amplifiers for powering speakers.

 

 

if you still want something that can blow up your phones, for something vintage and cheap try a Hafler DH200 or similar speaker amp.  Still beats the crap out of most modern stuff.


Edited by justin w. - 6/27/12 at 8:45pm

HeadAmp Audio Electronics - home of the Pico and Gilmore amps.  Now with Audeze, Fostex, HiFiMAN, Sennheiser, and STAX.
Find us at www.HeadAmp.com

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The GS-1 Thread