Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The GS-1 Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The GS-1 Thread - Page 8

post #106 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by acs236
I'd really like to hear it with the RS-1s. Of course, I'd hate to have a reason to sell my Gilmore.
Someone with a case of upgraditis here? Surely you jest...
post #107 of 540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by acs236
I'd really like to hear it with the RS-1s. Of course, I'd hate to have a reason to sell my Gilmore.

Well come on over. You can hear the SLAM and my next project should be here soon.
post #108 of 540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd812
I am interested to hear what and when did both amps differ, and how did you take the gs on top?
Given the last time I commented on an Emmeline amp it nearly caused a head-fi meltdown..... I went with politically correct and didnt go into details. I have auditioned the HR-2 at length in my own system. If you really want a comparison between the two I can give one. When I audition an amp I dont own I take detailed notes of all my impressions and list the ancilliaries and music I used. I basically know what I thought without looking at the notes. But I can reread them and give you a full account of both. The GS-1 hasnt changed much since the first few hours; so I think the current impressions I have of the GS-1 will hold.

BUT.... I am not going to do so if expressing my opinion will result in character attacks, conspiracy theories, accusations of personal agenda etc. etc...

You already know I like the GS-1 better. Its now just a question of why and whats different. Again, if you really want to know I will tell you. But I expect the same respect anyone else gets here on head-fi when they express their opinion.
post #109 of 540
for better reason if you dont mind you can send me a p.m. with whats the differences you see.

thank you
post #110 of 540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhd812
for better reason if you dont mind you can send me a p.m. with whats the differences you see.

thank you
When people would post questions that I knew could touch off these problems I started using pm's to avoid confrontations. Then of course... I was accused of some sort of covert operation with my pm's. If you want my opinion I would rather just put it out there for everyone or forget it.
post #111 of 540
Well I for one am very interested to hear your opinions regarding the differences you heard between the two amps, sacd lover, and why you prefer the GS-1. Please do post, so that myself and others who are conflicted which amp better suits our needs, can at least have something to reference.
post #112 of 540
Thread Starter 
This is for gpalmer... the hp-1 jack will definitely fit. The caps in the amp are panasonics. However, the design is different with several small film caps paralleled in addition to the electrolytics. The case is 1.25x wider than the v2. The depth and height are essentiallty the same. The weight is six pounds for the GS-1 vs four pounds for the v2. A 'big strappin lad', such as yourself, can manhandle this beauty with ease.
post #113 of 540
Thread Starter 
I have been listening on and off all day. The impressions have pretty much held constant. The GS-1 remains warm and smooth but the bass has seemed more potent today. This amp is dead silent as a headamp or a preamp. The GS-1 keeps impressing me with how good it sounds. Once I sit down and just listen to the amp... I keep listening.
post #114 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacd lover
Once I sit down and just listen to the amp... I keep listening.
Is there a better confirmation of good gear? Congratulations to your solid state. What tube set-up in a MPX3/Solen1/Jensen PiO would you compare it to?
post #115 of 540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glod
Is there a better confirmation of good gear? Congratulations to your solid state. What tube set-up in a MPX3/Solen1/Jensen PiO would you compare it to?
Tung Sol black glass round plate for gain / 2x Hytron JAN 6sn7gt tall bottle on the outputs is the tube set that I have in the amp right now.... that sounds so similar.
post #116 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacd lover
Tung Sol black glass round plate for gain / 2x Hytron JAN 6sn7gt tall bottle on the outputs is the tube set that I have in the amp right now.... that sounds so similar.
Allrighty - clean, dynamic, a large 3D soundstage, well mannered and perhaps a tad cold? But you descibe the GS-1 as warm... I see that as yet a reason to plug those Hytons in again for a session tonight. I find it so difficult to pin point the, I take it, early '50's, Hytrons sound. They are such special and hard to describe tubes IMHO. One of my favourites.
post #117 of 540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glod
Allrighty - clean, dynamic, a large 3D soundstage, well mannered and perhaps a tad cold? But you descibe the GS-1 as warm... I see that as yet a reason to plug those Hytons in again for a session tonight. I find it so difficult to pin point the, I take it, early '50's, Hytrons sound. They are such special and hard to describe tubes IMHO. One of my favourites.
Interesting you say that. I thought the Hytrons were a bit to detailed and thin sounding for me at first. But once they have some time on them they smooth out and become quite musical.
post #118 of 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacd lover
Interesting you say that. I thought the Hytrons were a bit to detailed and thin sounding for me at first. But once they have some time on them they smooth out and become quite musical.
Earl, this is your thread. I shouldn't go on arguing what early 6SN7 black-base Hytrons might sound like. Looks like we agree on that they sound at least, perhaps, thin - and then IYO musical. My best effort to describe them is out-of-the-way of what they are paired with . However, the brown-base version I find indeed indeed warm and actually quite musical (in the driver pos.) IMO.
post #119 of 540
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glod
Earl, this is your thread. I shouldn't go on arguing what early 6SN7 black-base Hytrons might sound like. Looks like we agree on that they sound at least, perhaps, thin - and then IYO musical. My best effort to describe them is out-of-the-way of what they are paired with . However, the brown-base version I find indeed indeed warm and actually quite musical (in the driver pos.) IMO.
No problem I like discussion. But bringing this back to the GS-1... that the GS -1 is not totally outclassed by the mpx3 is very surprising to me. Now fast forward, Mikhail has a new solid state amp coming out. I think I might get a prototype soon. So this thread could get real interesting if I can compare the GS-1 with singlepower solid state and singlepower tube amps. More fun, I cant wait.
post #120 of 540
Thread Starter 
More listening yesterday as a preamp.... this is one good preamp. The bass and tonal balance are very good. This amp seems more forgiving of poor recordings than my previous gilmore amps but still has high resolution. The small size and completely silent presentation are two more advantages. This amp is better sounding as a headamp or preamp vs the V2 or V2-SE, IMO.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › The GS-1 Thread