I didn't want to go through the pain of modding both the T20V2 and the YH-100 as from what I've read both are notoriously tough to damp to satisfaction. Also, I can't afford the YH-100 (something I realized 3 hours before the end of the auction) even if I topped up the money in my paypal. Oh well, maybe I'll get one in the future. For now I gotta be happy with what I have
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMFITON TDS-15tagged by drawning126, 5/15/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- brandFostextagged by System, 12/17/10
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/13/10
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by drawning126, 5/14/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SR-40tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by yonas, 1/28/13More
- brandYamahatagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha electronics HP-3 headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-1tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-3tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha YH-1000tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on 11/1/16 at 12:00am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 11/28/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
This review is from earphonia.com Re-posted on headfi to share to impressions http://earphonia.com/earphone-cables/effect-audio-iem-cable-thor-silver-ii-lightning-strikes As a lot of...
Intro The Meze 12 Classics has been provided to me by the Meze company as part of the official European review tour in exchange for my honest opinion. Later on Meze decided the participants can...
Hello and thanks for getting to my review! Firstly, need to tell you that this DAC/headamp has no battery inside, so those needing something to listen while jogging or walking might need to...
SPECS: Driver Type 8mm Dynamic Plug Type 3.5mm Gold-plated Cord Length 1.3m Y Frequency Response 12 Hz – 22...
1MORE Capsule Dual-Driver In-Ear Headphones Quick Review by mark2410 Thanks to 1MORE UK for the review sample. Full review...
Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 1545post #23161 of 246826/7/14 at 12:25am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #23162 of 246826/7/14 at 12:52ampost #23163 of 246826/7/14 at 4:20amI bid on it and was snipped at the last second. Kinda glad because my pair were uncomfortable on my ears after long listening and it took away from the experience. I am also pretty much over vintage/old gear unless it's super cheap yard sale find or something. Still a great deal, almost like a yh1000 going for 800 at today's crazy dealings.post #23164 of 246826/8/14 at 3:14am
For what it's worth here is a Soviet build ( stock condition post here minus goofy decals and deflated hard vinyl pads http://www.head-fi.org/t/111193/orthodynamic-roundup/22980#post_10562013 )
Next project after this one is that Sony thing I posted using HP-50S drivers. But that has a billion small parts.
I used a Koss 6/LC something. Something.
- Replaced hard black exposed foam headband with contact cemented leather and new foam inner, edge corners rounded off on top of original plastic strip.
- Twaron Angel Hair at the magic 5 grams per liter rate
- Nothing added on driver rears but stock dust guard material
- Echo H16-40C drivers secured to baffle using Dynamat.
[ A friend redid this first picture for some period photo effect so it is here in place of the original , looks like it came right out of an old catalog or something :) ]
- Fabric cord from the parts bin, stock overhead wires, was going to dual entry this thing but easier to use stock cup holes.
- Still need to dry brush the lettering black better after dabbing badges with some silver paint on a bit of foam. Painted lame brown baffle edges black.
- Front of Koss baffle center cut away with a ring of holes drilled around the outside letting the obscured outer driver holes breathe ( driver rests a few mm behind baffle rear surface) Baffle mounts with no screws and a simple twist, but need to pry out a little tab top and bottom with a thin screwdriver and twist
- A stock open slot on the cup bottoms under the mesh I added. Took out the felt insole material I had blocking that.
- Fostex T50rp pads to bring ears closer to driver, tried a few pads that were slightly taller but this hits the zone where pressing on cups sounds the same, the others needed to be pressed to hit this point
hmmm what else, well there are no nasty resonances, they don't sound closed, I call this one done. First attempt if you don't count removing the insole felt in rear vents. Drivers are waking up after their long sleep to Nina Hagen's Volksbeat album.
Comfortable as anything.
Nice even keeled signature.
Edited by nick n - 6/13/14 at 6:46pmpost #23165 of 246826/8/14 at 5:35am
Good lord. A project where Fostex pads are actually useful. Who'd a thought?:)
You did a terrific job on those vents.
Nina rendered by a Soviet headphone, there's something really ironic about that.:)post #23166 of 246826/8/14 at 4:13pm
Finally something the T50 pads are great on:)
Going to whip in and seal off that ring of vents I drilled on the baffle hole perimeter so that will act as a sort of bass lens.
Also maybe seal off the 2 rectangular baffle face holes by where the headband attaches to the cups. They are under the pads so a quick fix.
Edited by nick n - 6/9/14 at 12:49ampost #23167 of 246826/8/14 at 6:53pmpost #23168 of 246826/9/14 at 3:59ampost #23169 of 246826/9/14 at 4:08amQuote:
I like them even in stock form. But will try some mods later - at this moment I have HP50A to play with :)post #23170 of 246826/9/14 at 4:24amQuote:
They sound bass-light and a bit peaky in stock form imo. Even the Argentum has more bass than them which is strange.post #23171 of 246826/9/14 at 4:35amQuote:
I think the pair you received needs re cabling and then seal the cups. Also change the pads, shure840?
Then you can think of any damping scheme...
post #23172 of 246826/9/14 at 4:46ampost #23173 of 246826/9/14 at 4:52am
There are two different versions exists - bass light (with thin letters on the cups) and bass heavy (with bold letters on the cups). I think my are bass light, but still they has more bass then my TDS H16-40, Yamaha HP/YH-2, TDS 5M.
I tried HM-5 pads and sound became flat( no bass at all) and mute with them, I think because of big space inside pad comparing to original ones.
I think better to start with recabling and next dumping for you. For dumping I want to try Faust2D scheme.
Edited by Igenich - 6/9/14 at 4:55ampost #23174 of 246826/9/14 at 5:18am
I think mine are bass-light too. Drat! Yea, I'll recable them first and then see what to do next.
Edited by BucketInABucket - 6/9/14 at 10:45am
- Orthodynamic Roundup
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Sennheiser GSX 1000 / 1200 Impressions 24 seconds ago
- › Beoplay B&O Play 20% off coupon 37 seconds ago
- › Audeze SINE Series 46 seconds ago
- › Earbuds Round-Up 54 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 1 minute ago
- › A very simple single-ended parafeed design 3 minutes ago
- › Mitchell & Johnson – Electrostatz Headphones, Kickstarter Edition 3 minutes ago
- › cayin i5 + shure 535 VS What? 5 minutes ago
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 5 minutes ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 6 minutes ago
- › Effect Audio - Thor Silver II by sonickarma
- › Meze 12 Classics by OSiRiSsk
- › Roland Mobile UA UA-M10 USB Audio Interface by raoultrifan
- › Brainwavz M100 IEM Noise Isolating Earphones with Remote &... by NA Blur
- › 1MORE Capsule Dual Driver In-Ear Headphones with In-line Microphone... by mark2410
- › Massdrop x Noble X Universal IEM by mark2410
- › HIFIMAN HE1000 V2 Over Ear Planar Magnetic Headphone by MattTCG
- › Bluedio V (Victory) Pro Patented PPS12 Drivers Wireless Bluetooth... by mark2410
- › Edifier R2000DB Powered Bluetooth Bookshelf Speakers - Near-Field... by ryanjsoo
- › Yamaha MusicCast WX-010 Wireless Speaker (White) by mark2410
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear