Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Orthodynamic Roundup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 1518

post #22756 of 23658
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketInABucket View Post
 

Hey, do you guys have any suggestions for good 70mm pads which are pleather or leather and feel nice? The pads of my TDS-5M are rather flat and I would like to try replacing them for comfort reasons. So far, I can mostly only find crappy Chinese OEM ones on google which I absolutely despise the feel of. The nicest I can find are Audio Technica ESW9 pads but I don't know about the inner diameter (which is important) or how to even order them (which is even more important). I've also searched this thread and haven't been able to find anything except for the suggestion of using Stax SR-X pads, but when I looked them up on audiocubes they apparently have an external diameter of 84mm which is too big. Thanks guys.

The SR-X pads are your best option. They're a bit too big but they'll expose the most of the driver and they're extremely comfortable.

 

You could also try DT1350 pads, though they are a bit too small. 

 

AKG K141MKII pads are about the right size I believe, but I'm unsure to comfort or acoustic performance.

post #22757 of 23658
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post
 

The SR-X pads are your best option. They're a bit too big but they'll expose the most of the driver and they're extremely comfortable.

 

You could also try DT1350 pads, though they are a bit too small. 

 

AKG K141MKII pads are about the right size I believe, but I'm unsure to comfort or acoustic performance.

Alright, thank you very much. Just curious but how does the internal diameter of the pads affect the sound? 

post #22758 of 23658

try to keep the same inner hole dimensions, and pad height if possible for now to keep stock sound, but if you don't want that sound then whatever works obviously, generally larger inner hole makes more space sound, smaller inner hole lessens space and helps bass


Edited by nick n - 4/11/14 at 12:13am
post #22759 of 23658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuZo2 View Post
 

 

Haha is there additive technique for hardwood ? 

 

Yes they have a wood/plastic filament and i actually have some on order, it gives a nice rough wood grain looking finish and i read it smells like cardboard. I'm going to try and print a enclosure for my nwavguy o2 with it.


Edited by bootdsc - 4/10/14 at 9:22pm
post #22760 of 23658

But I think it wont sound like wooden cups. I think thats why previous Grado and Fostex 3dprinting threads were abandoned. 

post #22761 of 23658
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick n View Post

http://www.head-fi.org/t/111193/orthodynamic-roundup/20100#post_8473652

to start anyhow, a search within this thread of HP-1 PADS seems to leave only about 25 pages , and that isn't too bad considering the size of this thread

And to augment nick n's post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/111193/orthodynamic-roundup/22215#post_10005122
post #22762 of 23658
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick n View Post

try to keep the same inner hole dimensions, and pad height if possible for now to keep stock sound, but if you don't want that sound then whatever works obviously, generally larger inner hole makes more space sound, smaller inner hole lessens space and helps bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray91 View Post

And to augment nick n's post: http://www.head-fi.org/t/111193/orthodynamic-roundup/22215#post_10005122

Excellent, thanks for the suggestions. Final question: what's the internal diameter of the Stax Sr-X pads? They seem to be the most comfortable out of all the suggestions on this thread.

Edit: sent Nick a PM about felt earlier today too smily_headphones1.gif
Edited by BucketInABucket - 4/11/14 at 3:01am
post #22763 of 23658

Someone has found a big stock of new  RFT HOK 80-2 , initial once went for 29, now they are going for 50.

post #22764 of 23658
and dont forget to check on this site as well for HP1's... smily_headphones1.gif
http://home.hccnet.nl/joop.nijenhuis/headwize/rhp1e.htm
post #22765 of 23658
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuZo2 View Post
 

But I think it wont sound like wooden cups. I think thats why previous Grado and Fostex 3dprinting threads were abandoned. 

The fostex 3d printing thread used a cnc mill to machine out wood for the headphones so i'm pretty sure they sounded like wood ;-)

 

To many one off projects and not any real commitment to the hobby is one reason i think threads die. Well here is my latest ortho, i haven't added the mesh yet so that's why you can see right down to the driver.

 

 

I don't really like the finish so ill be trying other infill patterns with the next one.

post #22766 of 23658
Quote:
Originally Posted by iQEM View Post

and dont forget to check on this site as well for HP1's... smily_headphones1.gif
http://home.hccnet.nl/joop.nijenhuis/headwize/rhp1e.htm

Yea, I saw that page as well but I really didn't like the look of the pads they were using :(

post #22767 of 23658

I've always heard of how good orthodynamic headphones sound, but never got the chance to test one, are they really worth the price and the amount of gear necessary to run one? i'm new to this world of  orthodynamic headphones and modding.

post #22768 of 23658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creato938 View Post
 

I've always heard of how good orthodynamic headphones sound, but never got the chance to test one, are they really worth the price and the amount of gear necessary to run one? i'm new to this world of  orthodynamic headphones and modding.

I'm pretty new too, but so far I can say that its definitely worth it. The TDS-5M already sounds pretty decent stock and that's with (not a lot of aged) damping and seriously crappy pads. Correctly damped, I'm sure they can stack up to modern mid-end headphones and I'll bet that at least a couple people in this thread will agree with you.

post #22769 of 23658

What really scares me off headphones like that are the special amps required to run those, some of them, like the Koss and the Stax, require a really high energy output to run properly.

post #22770 of 23658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creato938 View Post
 

What really scares me off headphones like that are the special amps required to run those, some of them, like the Koss and the Stax, require a really high energy output to run properly.

I'm pretty sure the headphones you're thinking of are electrostatic and electret and not orthodynamic headphones. Orthodynamic headphones, while requiring more current than standard dynamic headphones, can still be run off most any amp with a decent enough power output. Here's my current rig for an example. It's being run off a standard portable amp (granted its the 627 MICRO, which is a really powerful single-ended portable amp for its size).


Edited by BucketInABucket - 4/11/14 at 4:56pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Orthodynamic Roundup