Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Orthodynamic Roundup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 1513

post #22681 of 23432
Quote:
Originally Posted by szerecsen View Post
 

I did not keep away from this thread. In fact, I am right in the middle of reading it all over from the beginning (page 761 just yesterday).

 

It is just me being a "read, listen and learn" kind of guy.

 

Here's my ortho lineup (I can now somehow upload pictures):

 

 

Best!

 

szerecsen

Yeah where did you find the sansui ss-100?  

post #22682 of 23432

the sansui is a beauty but it's got zero bass FWIR, can you confirm?

post #22683 of 23432

Is the TDS-17 a portable orthodynamic? Do correct me if I'm wrong.

post #22684 of 23432
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketInABucket View Post
 

Is the TDS-17 a portable orthodynamic? Do correct me if I'm wrong.

If it is its the best kept secret ever since they only cost $15 on ebay...

post #22685 of 23432
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootdsc View Post
 

If it is its the best kept secret ever since they only cost $15 on ebay...

I would be so happy if they turned out to be orthodynamic. Highly unlikely however.

post #22686 of 23432
post #22687 of 23432
Quote:

One can only dream :D

post #22688 of 23432
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post

the sansui is a beauty but it's got zero bass FWIR, can you confirm?

I disagree about the ss-100 not having bass. Its certainly not a bass head's phone but it is there and pretty well defined. For example, the bass drum that plays every measure in Stravinsky's rite of spring sounds deep and prety accurate. There is also that slam present that gives you goose bumps. I also really enjoy using the sansui whenever I listen to bass heavy jazz(mingus and others). It has better bass than the yhd-2 and dr-z6, however, it may be a hair less detailed than the Dr-z6 but it is more present and hits harder. I also preferred the sansui to my hd650 when I had the 650. The 650 was much more comfortable though. These, however, are just my impressions.
post #22689 of 23432

just got home from work

 

bought my Sansui in Hungary from a local hifi fanatic, definitely unaware of what he was holding in his hands

 

still, was not cheap

 

soundwise, I generally consider it to be almost on pair with the mylar NAD

 

plenty of bass there, just needs a good amp, sounds very strong hooked to my OTL C3M tube headamp

 

my FET based is clearly no party to this beauty

 

not the sweetest thing to wear for hours, but a design champion, hands down

post #22690 of 23432
Quote:

Originally Posted by szerecsen View Post

 

OTL C3M tube headamp

 

Any info on this?

I have a pair of C3M that I would like to make use of.

post #22691 of 23432

that was built by a brilliant tube amp designer in Hungary

 

here is a pic:

 

link

post #22692 of 23432
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbballman View Post


I disagree about the ss-100 not having bass. Its certainly not a bass head's phone but it is there and pretty well defined. For example, the bass drum that plays every measure in Stravinsky's rite of spring sounds deep and prety accurate. There is also that slam present that gives you goose bumps. I also really enjoy using the sansui whenever I listen to bass heavy jazz(mingus and others). It has better bass than the yhd-2 and dr-z6, however, it may be a hair less detailed than the Dr-z6 but it is more present and hits harder. I also preferred the sansui to my hd650 when I had the 650. The 650 was much more comfortable though. These, however, are just my impressions.

I agree.

 

As with all vintage headphones, variable aging effects and how they were stored over the past 20 to 30 years likely results in sound quality differences from one set to the next. The set of SS-100 I'm listening to sounds very good. The bass is accurate and fast, just not as pronounced as some other vintage TOTL orthos. Then, there is "the look" and build to consider...  Sansui SS-100 may well be the most beautiful headphone I've ever seen, as well as light weight and comfortable for "on ear" 'phones.

 

 

post #22693 of 23432
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemonkeyflyer View Post
 

I agree.

 

As with all vintage headphones, variable aging effects and how they were stored over the past 20 to 30 years likely results in sound quality differences from one set to the next. The set of SS-100 I'm listening to sounds very good. The bass is accurate and fast, just not as pronounced as some other vintage TOTL orthos. Then, there is "the look" and build to consider...  Sansui SS-100 may well be the most beautiful headphone I've ever seen, as well as light weight and comfortable for "on ear" 'phones.

 

 

Agreed, age does degrade the materials especially the foam used inside for dampening, my yamaha orthos had real nasty yellow gooey foam inside and after replacing with some felt they sound much better. 

post #22694 of 23432
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeperry View Post
 

the sansui is a beauty but it's got zero bass FWIR, can you confirm?

If the (mylar) RP18 is any indicator (which it should be given the nature of the SS-100 transducer) then the bass, while not lacking, is rather overshadowed by the upper regions, at least in stock form. The RP18 also has some NASTY distortion up top; not sure if that was my amp, lack of mods, or the transducer, but it was there and is the reason why I sold it. My hope is the SS-100 lacks this issue due to the heavily dampened enclosure... if I can ever get my mitts on one that is.

 

So, BMF, is there perhaps any news regarding that GS-X-II you're supposed to be getting? I think you know why I'm asking. ;) 


Edited by takato14 - 4/7/14 at 2:16pm
post #22695 of 23432
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post
 

If the (mylar) RP18 is any indicator (which it should be given the nature of the SS-100 transducer) then the bass, while not lacking, is rather overshadowed by the upper regions, at least in stock form. The RP18 also has some NASTY distortion up top; not sure if that was my amp, lack of mods, or the transducer, but it was there and is the reason why I sold it. My hope is the SS-100 lacks this issue due to the heavily dampened enclosure... if I can ever get my mitts on one that is.

 

So, BMF, is there perhaps any news regarding that GS-X-II you're supposed to be getting? I think you know why I'm asking. ;) 

takato,

 

Word on the street is that the GS-X-II should be ready, soon. I have a couple more TOTL amps in bound and may have the opportunity to compare all 3 with a wide variety of vintage and current production TOTL 'phones - dynamic and orthos.

 

BMF

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Orthodynamic Roundup