Wasn't the stock damping completely shot? The foam in there is the only thing holding the driver to the baffle, and I bet %99 it is shot.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMFITON TDS-15tagged by drawning126, 5/15/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- brandFostextagged by System, 12/17/10
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/13/10
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by drawning126, 5/14/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SR-40tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by yonas, 1/28/13More
- brandYamahatagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha electronics HP-3 headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-1tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-3tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha YH-1000tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on 2/20/17 at 7:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
I am by no means an audiophile nor do I call myself one. My experience with quality audio products is very limited and so is my vocabulary on this topic. That being said I took a pair of these...
Full review can be found at: https://www.samma3a.com/tech/en/fiio-x5-3rd-gen-high-res-player-review/ Rating The NO BULL rating system is designed to take as many aspects of the device into...
I've had a short history with headphones. My first pair of good headphones were the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x. I will mostly be comparing these two. These headphones are much more better looking,...
I like these just a little better than my Sony MDR XB90ex, which I think is saying a lot. They both have a very ergonomic design that allows them to stay in ear securely and comfortably for...
TOTL (Top-of the line) is something you hear quite often around Head-Fi. The cream of the crop of the audio-world. While that may be true in most instances, investing into a 1200$+ product seems...
Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 1497post #22441 of 247082/24/14 at 9:22pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #22442 of 247082/24/14 at 9:46pmpost #22443 of 247082/24/14 at 9:59pmQuote:
How the hell is it so fast if the damping wore out? Orthos usually dont get that kind of speed unless you damp them like crazy...post #22444 of 247082/25/14 at 5:05pmpost #22445 of 247082/26/14 at 4:26am
^ya, its only the foam back there which would mean that these are tuned much higher than most vintage orthos. They seems to be pretty close to being critically damped with just the foam, very fast and clean sounding. Its a bit rolled off at either ends but still very enjoyable in the stock form. I'd recommend rolling some pads to get a more optimal frequency response before trying to redamp these.post #22446 of 247082/28/14 at 2:14ampost #22447 of 247082/28/14 at 8:10ampost #22448 of 247082/28/14 at 8:17ampost #22449 of 247082/28/14 at 5:55pm
Hello gurubhai, nice to see you here.
Things going excellent as usual?
The PMB do you find that you get a nagging feeling they need to be closer to your ears or sealed?
i did see a picture with actual pads put on there, forget where.
Very nice acquisition. very nicepost #22450 of 247083/1/14 at 12:02am
Yes its very strange feeling with PMB-100 no seal, there are no pads. Its like putting portable radios to your ears.
Sound- No bass & no treble extension, but need to get more accustomed to wearing them.post #22451 of 247083/1/14 at 12:07am
Maybe a deep actual pad might help. It's certainly odd they designed that without a massive driver to throw it out there nicely. Sure the airy idea is great but did they not test the things?
thanks very much for posting that have always been curious.post #22452 of 247083/1/14 at 4:34amQuote:
No earpads = no sealing = no bass IMHO.post #22453 of 247083/1/14 at 7:42am
The PMB drivers usually gives a decent bass output if they are put directly on the ear (that gives some seal too) - even if you just hold them to your ear without the headset. Any distance at all without pads though...post #22454 of 247083/1/14 at 2:26pm
- Orthodynamic Roundup
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Audeze LCD-2 Impressions Thread 3 seconds ago
- › Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM... 46 seconds ago
- › Android phones and USB DACs 51 seconds ago
- › Focal Elear - Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › "The Lab" 4 minutes ago
- › Monoprice Monolith M1060 and M560 Planar Headphones 4 minutes ago
- › Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB... 4 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 5 minutes ago
- › Xiaomi In-Ear Headphones Pro HD (2 +1 Hybrid) 5 minutes ago
- › Topping NX2 Portable headphone Amp / DAC 6 minutes ago
- › KEF M200 Hi-Fi In-Ear Headphones, Aluminum/Black by JonnyA
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by TheoS53
- › B&O Beoplay H6 (2nd generation) by aggFTW
- › Sony In-Ear Dynamic Headphones MDR-XB70-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Custom Art Harmony 8.2 by FUYU
- › iFi Micro iTube2 Vacuum Tube Buffer and Preamplifier by ostewart
- › HiFiMAN HE-400i by Jiawen Zhen
- › JVC Hi-Res corresponding canal type earphone HA-FX99X-B (Black) by aafanatic
- › Grado Labs SR80e by audiophilefan
- › UITaudio PMP-353P by Army-Firedawg
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear