That's the old generation Fostex driver. All the current T20/40/50 models use the same (supposedly) square drivers.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMFITON TDS-15tagged by drawning126, 5/15/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- brandFostextagged by System, 12/17/10
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/13/10
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by drawning126, 5/14/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SR-40tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by yonas, 1/28/13More
- brandYamahatagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha electronics HP-3 headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-1tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-3tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha YH-1000tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) Last post on Yesterday at 9:53 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- My first HiFi cans Last post on 9/11/12 at 8:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I have own the Dunu tridents for about 4-5 months, and about a week about, the left ear suddenly stopped working. I left them on my desk for the weekend, no spills, or anything touching them. Now i...
The Brainwavz M1 has been widely toted as a popular option at under $50 for the last few years. Why is that the case? Well, because at the time of their debut, they were one the few balanced...
Intro Here is a review of the Audio-Technica CKR10 there are a couple reviews of this model already but the more reviews the better. First I would like to say thank you to Audio-Technica for...
So, a review Woo Audio WA2... I have divided it into some headings, and rated them out of 100. These are my ratings based on my personal opinion. I'm open to comments as well, feel free to voice...
Intro After briefly owning and eventually selling the Audio Technica ATH - M50, there were quite a few things that I still desired in a closed headphone. I wanted something more comfortable...
Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 1496post #22426 of 237672/19/14 at 3:55pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #22427 of 237672/20/14 at 12:00amQuote:Originally Posted by nick n
yeah why not get the T20. I think the only real difference in there is that the rear cup hanger post in the cups is not capped off there might be some other slight thing. I recall someone modding them up nicely close enough to the T50 to be worthy. Maybe they will see this post because i forget who it was.
Stock pads for the T20 may not be the best but that is later if you even do it.
Hold off on adding any more to the drivers to patch them because once it is put on ,going back and redoing it if it doesn't work again may be difficult
I have a T20RP MKII modified by bluemonkeyflier - it's truly awesome what he did to it.
Of course it's all the same T50 mods you can find in his 'incremental mods and measurements' thread.post #22428 of 237672/20/14 at 3:56amQuote:
I wasn't aware that subjective SQ was measured in USD currency these days, thank you very much for clearing that uppost #22429 of 237672/20/14 at 4:07amQuote:
All the kids are talking about it.post #22430 of 237672/20/14 at 5:11ampost #22431 of 237672/20/14 at 5:19ampost #22432 of 237672/20/14 at 6:19amQuote:
Would you care to explain SQ for me please? Thanks
Luigipost #22433 of 237672/20/14 at 6:30amQuote:
That's precisely what I was afraid of, the square drivers... Would you happen to know during what years these models came with the round ortho drivers, so that i can look out form them o ebay or elsewhere? Thanks in advance!
Luigipost #22434 of 237672/20/14 at 6:40amQuote:post #22435 of 237672/20/14 at 7:20ampost #22436 of 237672/20/14 at 9:41pmAnyone that has both the Nad RP18 with mylar and kapton please chime in. I modded my kapton one and no matter what I do to it, it just won't sound equal to the mylar. The mylar ones were modded by dBel84. I get more boom on the kapton but miss the airyness of the mylar. The mids and high of the mylar version is just sublime, but low end on the kapton is more authoritative.post #22437 of 237672/21/14 at 5:49am
^ Maybe my modification of a Mylar NAD RP-18 will help with your Kapton version.
NAD RP-18 Mylar Version: Repairs and Modification
- Replaced cables below Y-splitter, re-soldered connections, and added new heat shrink.
- STAX Micron Glass Wool over back of drivers = 45mm disks.
- Treble Reflecting Ring with 35 mm opening over STAX Micron Glass Wool (from eBay Germany).
- 55 mm soft felt disk over inside of grill and new speaker grill cloth.
- 5 mm wide closed cell foam “Focusing Ring” around ear side of driver.
- ¼ wedge of 7 mm open cell foam over ear side of driver at 6 o’clock position.
- HiFi Man Velour Pads secured with a ring of double-sided tape.
The sound quality is very good; certainly better than when they arrived and, in my opinion, better than the all stock RP-18 Kapton version I had on hand for direct comparison. The bass digs deep but remains fast and musical without bloating. The midrange is clear, lush, and smooth. The treble details are more clear and present, without fatigue.
A friend sent me an unmodified set of Kapton NAD RP-18 for comparison with his previously modified set of Mylar NAD RP-18. His Mylar version required repairs and re-modification. The Kapton version initially "Wowed" me. The previously modified Mylar version sounded congested with loose boomy bass, muffled mids, and squashed treble.
I began work on the Mylar set. The cable junction at the Y-splitter was not soldered. Instead, the connections were held together by plastic tubes, heat shrink, and duct tape. I started there...below the splitter. I soldered new connections and sealed them with 3:1 heat shrink. The cup threads (only 3 per cup) had been stripped so the seal was defeated on both sides. I used my super glue re-tapping method I've successfully used many times before to re-tap new cup threads in Fostex T20/40/50RP.
Next up, "grunt work" trying many, many different materials in various configurations over the course of 6 weeks...I lost count...really. I am happy with the final results. To my "ears and gears," the repaired and re-modified Mylar NADs now sound very good and better than the stock Kapton version.
NAD RP-18 Mylar Version:
After market pads held on with strips of double sided tape. Drivers and magnets.
Here are my repairs and re-modification:
The stock dust covers were fouled with glue debris so I Double sided tape rings for securing pads surround
replaced them with speaker grille cloth. Closed Cell Foam "focus rings"
Yellow = STAX Micron Glass Wool with gauze underlay – Left = Rear Side. Right = Ear Side
Double sided tape protective covering removed and ready HiFi Man Velour pads soak up excess bass produced by 2X
for pads. the ear side driver opening compared to the stock NAD pads.
Leather and pleather pads were way too bassy resulting in
Boomy Bass Bloat (B3 :)
NAD RP-18 Kapton version. I did not remove the yellow biscuits because the owner wanted them kept in stock form:post #22438 of 237672/21/14 at 6:06ampost #22439 of 237672/24/14 at 12:29pm
- Orthodynamic Roundup
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Stoner Acoustics UD110 bundled with DSE VT-H68 headphones 1 minute ago
- › Stax SR-009: Best Headphone Ever Made? - Head-Fi TV, Episode 008 2 minutes ago
- › Little Dot MK VI / Little Dot MK VIII SE Owners Unite 3 minutes ago
- › Philips Announces New iOS Lightening Port Headphones 3 minutes ago
- › Head-Fi Confessional - I bought Beats.. And I liked it.. 4 minutes ago
- › Valhalla 2 review coming soon! 5 minutes ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-15.32 Delivery & Impression Thread 5 minutes ago
- › The NEW Cayin C5 portable power house. 5 minutes ago
- › Dangerous Music Source DAC 5 minutes ago
- › Need a recommendation for some headphones. 6 minutes ago
- › DUNU DN-12 Trident by Ghoulcow
- › MP4Nation Brainwavz M1 by Tom22
- › Audio Technica ATH-CKR10 IN-EAR HEADPHONE TITANIUM SONIC PRO DUAL... by acain
- › Woo Audio 2 by mikoss
- › KAM HP1 by LowDose
- › Schiit Vali by Mr Rick
- › DUNU DN-2000 Hybrid 3 way earphone by YoYo JoKeR
- › V-MODA Crossfade M-100 by Spiderman
- › Audinst HUD-mx2 by YoYo JoKeR
- › FiiO X1 Ultraportable Hi-Res DAP by koloseij
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)