Wualta's dream is coming true with this shower of new orthos.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMFITON TDS-15tagged by drawning126, 5/15/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- brandFostextagged by System, 12/17/10
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/13/10
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by drawning126, 5/14/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SR-40tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by yonas, 1/28/13More
- brandYamahatagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha electronics HP-3 headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-1tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-3tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha YH-1000tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) Last post on 1/24/15 at 9:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- My first HiFi cans Last post on 9/11/12 at 8:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
My Setup Tested with my Dell XPS 8700 desktop going optical out to a Yamaha RX-V365 amp (1/4 inch headphone out). I played various files (FLAC, MP3, M4A) at different bit rates using...
I try to keep my reviews simple and understandable so I don't go into a large amount of detail with each part. There are others here that do an excellent job at very in depth and detailed reviews....
I'm an on-ear open junkie, so this high praise says a lot about the PX95. A list of on-ear opens I have in various drawer: AKG K512, PX100-ii, PortaPros, Jays V-Jays, and some more that I can't...
Introduction This is a review of the Superlux hd 681 Evo, Version II. It is my first review on Head-Fi, so bear with me. The particular Evo under review here has roughly 40 hrs of burn-in time...
I Background, gear used and manifesto I first got interested in the ECP Black Diamond around the time of its release. I was in the market for a “flagship” amp but still didn’t know what type of...
Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 1473
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #22082 of 2376810/13/13 at 1:11pm
This certainly is fascinating. Where's the under $100 pairs, heck even under $200. Betcha soon.
Small portable options ( =easily driven and convenient ) are a huge part ( the majority maybe ) of the market these days. Bring it on.
Edited by nick n - 10/13/13 at 1:17pmpost #22083 of 2376810/13/13 at 2:30pmpost #22084 of 2376810/13/13 at 4:36pmQuote:Originally Posted by nick n
OPPO. PM-1 Model what a stunning looking headphone.
Report by Jude. In case you all missed this.
Oh wow! now that looks cool :o. I really hope this is an affordable one :Dpost #22085 of 2376810/14/13 at 10:20amQuote:Originally Posted by nick n
That's what I'm hoping. With all the resources available to them they should be able to nail something down.
In reference to a cheaper VOLKSORTHO ( I agree with Vid's comment above ) still got my fingers crossed that Philips will come up with something cheap and snazzy in this area. They seem to be innovating pretty well lately and they have to notice all the increased fuss over this type of headphone.
Bring it to the masses.
If Fosex is well received on this one, just possible they will do a nice big round one later on.
Maybe we'll get lucky and some Russian entrepreneur will start releasing the updated TDS / Amfiton lineups with modern materials.
sorry people my post is overrun with "what if's" I try to avoid that lately, didn't work this post.
Resources are strong and their track record is long and excellent - but do they have the passion and dedication to make something truly great....?post #22086 of 2376810/14/13 at 10:15pm
Quote:Originally Posted by nick n
OH WOW EVEN MORE WOW!
A new contender is in the ring.
OPPO. PM-1 Model what a stunning looking headphone.
Report by Jude. In case you all missed this.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Quote:Originally Posted by nick n
Well to Fostex, RP = Regulated Phase Technology. I don't know if that's limited to planars. Hopefully it's a new ortho toy :D
Hopefully it isn't a new ortho dream toy that can't be reached.Quote:
Yep about the parts.
Even the pads look like they're from the TH600/900.Quote:
I think they do. I'm more worried whether or not the market isn't overly saturated to even have something new and good brought to existance.post #22087 of 2376810/15/13 at 1:32pmpost #22088 of 2376810/15/13 at 2:05pmpost #22089 of 2376810/15/13 at 3:18pm
No way, it's smart combination modding, as you'll see that the EQ can be kept broad thanks only to groundwork done via physical mods. Whoever wants to impose limits on themselves can do it, I'm just after the best sound by the most appropriate means.
I've not measured an upper treble as clean as that, too.post #22090 of 2376810/15/13 at 3:26pmpost #22091 of 2376810/15/13 at 3:43pm
They sound neutral and reasonably detailed, though no sub-bass at all, and I think the HD 600 cup/pad works well for them. A fresh listen tomorrow should bring up any issues.
Don't get me wrong, having it all as physical mods would be more convenient, but the HOK (version 1) won't make that easy for you.
Edited by vid - 10/15/13 at 3:46pmpost #22092 of 2376810/15/13 at 4:06pm
I find more satisfaction in a purely physical mod, but I'm not adverse to EQ either.
I'm just waiting to get my hands on my U70. I'm expecting it to be a losing battle, but I won't give up without a good fight.post #22093 of 2376810/15/13 at 4:51pmpost #22094 of 2376810/16/13 at 1:39amQuote:
Like doing an entire headphone transplant
I'm hoping I can cure the biggest problem of the U70 without much difficulty.
My theory is that by either fixing or suitably replacing the completely degraded ear pads, I won't need to take such drastic measures to achieve something enjoyable.
One idea was to re-coat the ear pads with 'plasti dip' - which is a spray-on, removable rubber-based colour finish for cars.
Anyone tried something like this before?post #22095 of 2376810/16/13 at 2:14am
i painted some of the Plasti-dip onto the lower surface of some pads and maybe did 3 coats to try to seal up the fabric on the lower half. The final product was too stiff. So that was my experience with application onto fabric, which tends to soak up unevenly, at least uncomfortable end results if you paint it on (in my experience).
I betcha though if you could spray it fast like a thin coating it might work. Trouble is the stuff doesn't exactly come out in fine particles like spray-paint fine, more sputtery globules.
Armaegis has a fair bit of experience with the Plasti-dip spraycan( I think ) I only tried the spray the other day. He might know.
I would try to get some leather at a shop , they usually sell end bits so it will be cheaper, a proper leather needle and some waxed thread and make your own up. Square pads are hard to find, and especially with a proper inner diameter. Unless some of the Atari style square padded headphones are going cheaply to scalp parts from..
I did a tiny tutorial on pad making in here somewhere if that helps. Pretty easy. Just use foam only for filler no polyfill
Best of luck and excited to see how the U70 turn out, if you feel like posting your progress that is.
Edited by nick n - 10/16/13 at 2:20am
- Orthodynamic Roundup
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 24 seconds ago
- › Non-audiophile reactions to high-end headphones Part II 33 seconds ago
- › The All new FiiO X1, 192K/24B, PCM5142 DAC and 100mW output with LO... 1 minute ago
- › The AKG K550 Impressions and Discussion Thread! 2 minutes ago
- › Sony's New 2014 flagship IEM - XBA Z5 2 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread 3 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › iPhone 6 & 6 Plus Audio Quality 4 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Gustard Amplifiers and DACs 5 minutes ago
- › beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Headphones by rigodeni
- › Dunu TITAN 1 — titanium-coated diaphragm earphones by Zalithian
- › Sennheiser PX 95 Versatile On-Ear Headphones by inline79
- › Superlux HD-681 EVO Black Professional Monitor Headphones by serman005
- › ecp audio Black Diamond by Schopenhauer
- › FiiO E12 Mont Blanc by jamato8
- › JVC HA-FX750 Wood Dome Unit Earphone by dnun8086
- › EarWerkz Supra by moedawg140
- › House of Marley - LEGEND ANC by White Lotus
- › Audio Technica S700BT by ironicinori
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)