My YH-2 is quite bassy in a full open back setup, but it isn't earspeaker style, just a regular supra-aural headphone with near painful clamp in long runs.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMFITON TDS-15tagged by drawning126, 5/15/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- brandFostextagged by System, 12/17/10
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/13/10
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by drawning126, 5/14/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SR-40tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by yonas, 1/28/13More
- brandYamahatagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha electronics HP-3 headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-1tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-3tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha YH-1000tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on 8/30/15 at 4:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Design/durability: The earpiece seems very durable, although there are some light finish issues. The braided cable is one of the best in the industry: there are barely any microphonics, it feels...
Photo courtesy of Cozoy INTRODUCTION I recently tested out a couple battery-powered DAC/Amp (Cayin C5DAC and Shanling H3) solutions and the battery-free Calyx PaT DAC/Amp with the goal of...
They sound better than anything I've heard at this price point. I use these earbuds with my iPod Nano every day. The one thing that makes these things annoying as crap is the stupid cable that gets...
Before I start my review, I would like to Thank Inearz/Fisher Hearing for providing me with a review sample of their IE-P650 CIEM in exchange for my honest opinion. Manufacturer website:...
Creative Aurvana In-Ear 3 Plus Review Hello, my name is Oscar and this is my review of the Creative Aurvana In-Ear 3 Plus. Creative sent these to me as part of a tour and I did not pay for...
Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 1456post #21826 of 241916/29/13 at 8:08am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #21827 of 241916/29/13 at 8:32ampost #21828 of 241916/29/13 at 8:55amQuote:Originally Posted by Armaegis
Look at all the Fostexen... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bRJLkNqNXI
Those are T20v1's correct? (and I think a K240M sneaks in there)
Lots of Fostexen, current and vintage. I can't tell if some are T20v1 and/or T10.
What a cast of performers in this video! Thanks for the link.post #21829 of 241916/29/13 at 8:58ampost #21830 of 241916/29/13 at 9:47ampost #21831 of 241916/29/13 at 9:52ampost #21832 of 241916/29/13 at 11:41am
A most difficult find: Canton KE-600
I first postulated that this was an ortho back in late 2008. And have been searching for it ever since. It seems to be the sole headphone of high-end German manufacturer Canton, which led me to believe they would have made an effort with it. As many of you know I searched high and low and dug out many orthos, but this one always eluded me, it even got to the point I wondered if it was vaporware, as I couldnt even find evidence of its existence anywhere past the brochures. Finally after 4.5 years of searching I managed to find one! one of the trickiest cans for me to find. And my searching from way back then proved positive; this is definitely orthodynamic. Wenche Myhre didnt reply to me about them :p.
The pair I found had the pleather completely gone from the pads to reveal bright white cotton below (also the previous owner seems to have damaged one of the headband sliders and done a diy repair on it).
The peeled pads suggested a PMB oem, but the style was quite unique. I replaced the earpads with some generic ebay ones to get an idea of the sound. It is quite an inneficient phone, this may be due to the damping.
I couldnt yet figure how to open them up fully. just peel away the baffle cloth to take a peek at the driver. (Seen below with the replacement pads)
The specs rate the driver at 200 Ohm, which seems high. Taking a peek under the baffle cloth suggests a pmb-esque driver, but further inspection reveals that it is actually a unique driver.
It has a opened pin in the centre, a little like some pmb's may. The magnet holes are smaller, and more in number than PMB. And are all allined in rows like Yamahas, unlike PMB's which are always concentric. (see pmb examples: http://cdn.head-fi.org/6/6d/6dba5320_PMBdriver2.jpeg and http://cdn.head-fi.org/0/06/06c783af_IMG_5967.JPG). The shots below also show the original Canton pads.
What was v.interesting is the baffle side donut damping layer. The frame is light and comfy. There seems to have been a lot of attention to detail and effort to make a headphone that works and sounds good.
Onto the sound. With the aftermarket pads on (whcih have pleather), the sound is id say right on or slighty above the equilibrium point (of damping). It seems to have a neutral sweet sound reminiscent of pmb, but well rounded and defined throughout. Very clear. Id say its nice from bottom to top. But just lacking slightly in the deep bass amplitude, but deep bass is there. It definately would have lived up to its claims back then of a stat-dynamic bridge.
I cant figure out how to open it, and dont want to be too rough since its so rare. No screws visible on the baffle. It doesnt seem to turn open. Im guessing possibly there is a screw behind the badge, but unsure. Would like to see whats inside the cups and a better view of this unique driver.
A very interesting can that was the only can in it's range :).post #21833 of 241916/29/13 at 11:49am
*shakes head and slaps myself in the face * Am I dreaming ? How incredible is that!!!!!
Thanks for the post Kabeer. I was racking my brain for weeks trying to guess.
So...how to open it. Unless there's a screw under the badge I would guess it might be a slip-fit with tabs. But if that were the case you'd expects to see some small slots to help pry the tabs.
Just wait a few weeks until i find one also then I will do the damage to mine :)
How much pivot do the cups have. Is it just up and down swivel?
And that is what roughly, a 55mm driver?
Edited by nick n - 6/29/13 at 12:58pmpost #21834 of 241916/29/13 at 12:20pmQuote:
Good luck on the search ;).
Pivot: pivots fully, like 360 degrees. not a huge amoutn, but enough do any ear angle.
The opening area i photo'd is 50-ish mm, so the driver is likely 55mm yes.post #21835 of 241916/29/13 at 12:53pmpost #21836 of 241916/29/13 at 1:13pmpost #21837 of 241917/3/13 at 12:03ampost #21838 of 241917/3/13 at 5:57amQuote:
Many things to be added to the wiki (havent had much time), many things other people on here should add as well ;) , c'mon people.post #21839 of 241917/3/13 at 6:18ampost #21840 of 241917/3/13 at 7:54am
- Orthodynamic Roundup
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › UM Merlin: Portable Headphone Amp & Other Noob Questions 39 seconds ago
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Impressions and Discussion + Tour Application... 1 minute ago
- › The FiiO E10K--all-new DAC and amp stages 1 minute ago
- › Lite DAC60 - PCM1704 R2R tubed DAC Mod Project 1 minute ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-ZX100 DAP 4 minutes ago
- › O2 Amp 4 minutes ago
- › Time for a DAP upgrade - FiiO/iBasso/AK/Lotoo/Hidizs 4 minutes ago
- › Feliks-Audio ELISE...(previously 6SN7 + 6AS7G/6080 prototype) 5 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 5 minutes ago
- › FiiO E17 "ALPEN" - First Impression + Final Thought 6 minutes ago
- › Westone UM Pro 30 by Voyageur
- › Cozoy Aegis Portable 24/192 DAC/Amp by nmatheis
- › Panasonic RP-HJE120-K In-Ear Earbud Ergo-Fit Headphone (Black) by STRMfrmXMN
- › Inearz IE-P650 6xBA driver CIEM by twister6
- › Creative Aurvana In-Ear3 by Fidelity King
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by asymcon
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by Mediahound
- › Noble Audio Savant by daduy
- › Shure SRH840 by Double-A
- › Yulong Audio DA8 II by earfonia
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2