My YH-2 is quite bassy in a full open back setup, but it isn't earspeaker style, just a regular supra-aural headphone with near painful clamp in long runs.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMFITON TDS-15tagged by drawning126, 5/15/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- brandFostextagged by System, 12/17/10
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/13/10
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by drawning126, 5/14/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SR-40tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by yonas, 1/28/13More
- brandYamahatagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha electronics HP-3 headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-1tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-3tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha YH-1000tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) Last post on 1/24/15 at 9:53pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- My first HiFi cans Last post on 9/11/12 at 8:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 11/28/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 12/5/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/8/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Package & Build: FiiO X3 comes in a nice box with adapter and micro USB cable, as well as a nice soft silicone sleeve to protect the player. It is built very nicely, has some retro touch to it...
In short words: The Fidue is on par with the Sony EX1000 (little less sound stage and depth, but better, more flat sound signature) Downside: Cable plugs to the earphone speakers was...
I am an audiophile and these cans really deliver! Spacious and open with a neutral but pacy kick. These phones are the business but deserve a headphone amp to really bounce! Nevertheless, you will...
HiFiMAN RE-300h Review with RE-400 comparisons and comments Disclaimer: The following review is my subjective assessment of the headphone. I am in no way affiliated with HiFiMAN nor am I...
Sorry for no actual review as i have just got into audio recently and this is my first pair or good headphones. But even i could tell there was alot of sub bass not loud but its definitely...
Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 1456post #21826 of 237726/29/13 at 8:08am
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #21827 of 237726/29/13 at 8:32ampost #21828 of 237726/29/13 at 8:55amQuote:Originally Posted by Armaegis
Look at all the Fostexen... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bRJLkNqNXI
Those are T20v1's correct? (and I think a K240M sneaks in there)
Lots of Fostexen, current and vintage. I can't tell if some are T20v1 and/or T10.
What a cast of performers in this video! Thanks for the link.post #21829 of 237726/29/13 at 8:58ampost #21830 of 237726/29/13 at 9:47ampost #21831 of 237726/29/13 at 9:52ampost #21832 of 237726/29/13 at 11:41am
A most difficult find: Canton KE-600
I first postulated that this was an ortho back in late 2008. And have been searching for it ever since. It seems to be the sole headphone of high-end German manufacturer Canton, which led me to believe they would have made an effort with it. As many of you know I searched high and low and dug out many orthos, but this one always eluded me, it even got to the point I wondered if it was vaporware, as I couldnt even find evidence of its existence anywhere past the brochures. Finally after 4.5 years of searching I managed to find one! one of the trickiest cans for me to find. And my searching from way back then proved positive; this is definitely orthodynamic. Wenche Myhre didnt reply to me about them :p.
The pair I found had the pleather completely gone from the pads to reveal bright white cotton below (also the previous owner seems to have damaged one of the headband sliders and done a diy repair on it).
The peeled pads suggested a PMB oem, but the style was quite unique. I replaced the earpads with some generic ebay ones to get an idea of the sound. It is quite an inneficient phone, this may be due to the damping.
I couldnt yet figure how to open them up fully. just peel away the baffle cloth to take a peek at the driver. (Seen below with the replacement pads)
The specs rate the driver at 200 Ohm, which seems high. Taking a peek under the baffle cloth suggests a pmb-esque driver, but further inspection reveals that it is actually a unique driver.
It has a opened pin in the centre, a little like some pmb's may. The magnet holes are smaller, and more in number than PMB. And are all allined in rows like Yamahas, unlike PMB's which are always concentric. (see pmb examples: http://cdn.head-fi.org/6/6d/6dba5320_PMBdriver2.jpeg and http://cdn.head-fi.org/0/06/06c783af_IMG_5967.JPG). The shots below also show the original Canton pads.
What was v.interesting is the baffle side donut damping layer. The frame is light and comfy. There seems to have been a lot of attention to detail and effort to make a headphone that works and sounds good.
Onto the sound. With the aftermarket pads on (whcih have pleather), the sound is id say right on or slighty above the equilibrium point (of damping). It seems to have a neutral sweet sound reminiscent of pmb, but well rounded and defined throughout. Very clear. Id say its nice from bottom to top. But just lacking slightly in the deep bass amplitude, but deep bass is there. It definately would have lived up to its claims back then of a stat-dynamic bridge.
I cant figure out how to open it, and dont want to be too rough since its so rare. No screws visible on the baffle. It doesnt seem to turn open. Im guessing possibly there is a screw behind the badge, but unsure. Would like to see whats inside the cups and a better view of this unique driver.
A very interesting can that was the only can in it's range :).post #21833 of 237726/29/13 at 11:49am
*shakes head and slaps myself in the face * Am I dreaming ? How incredible is that!!!!!
Thanks for the post Kabeer. I was racking my brain for weeks trying to guess.
So...how to open it. Unless there's a screw under the badge I would guess it might be a slip-fit with tabs. But if that were the case you'd expects to see some small slots to help pry the tabs.
Just wait a few weeks until i find one also then I will do the damage to mine :)
How much pivot do the cups have. Is it just up and down swivel?
And that is what roughly, a 55mm driver?
Edited by nick n - 6/29/13 at 12:58pmpost #21834 of 237726/29/13 at 12:20pmQuote:
Good luck on the search ;).
Pivot: pivots fully, like 360 degrees. not a huge amoutn, but enough do any ear angle.
The opening area i photo'd is 50-ish mm, so the driver is likely 55mm yes.post #21835 of 237726/29/13 at 12:53pmpost #21836 of 237726/29/13 at 1:13pmpost #21837 of 237727/3/13 at 12:03ampost #21838 of 237727/3/13 at 5:57amQuote:
Many things to be added to the wiki (havent had much time), many things other people on here should add as well ;) , c'mon people.post #21839 of 237727/3/13 at 6:18ampost #21840 of 237727/3/13 at 7:54am
- Orthodynamic Roundup
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › A little about the Shozy Alien 4 seconds ago
- › Fiio E17k Alpen 2 Announced (23/12/2014) 1 minute ago
- › Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread 1 minute ago
- › Lost my z-5500, need new sound, budget: $400 1 minute ago
- › Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics 2 minutes ago
- › Oppo HA-1 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › The JPS Labs: Abyss AB-1266 Appreciation & Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Audio-GD NFB-11.32 & NFB-11 (2014) (Delivery & Impression Thread)!!! 5 minutes ago
- › Sony MDR-1A - Sony's latest update on the 1R 6 minutes ago
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by Tail
- › Fidue A83 Reference Class Triple Hybrid IEM by Airwin
- › Shure SRH1540 Headphones by Rogerlabarrie
- › HIFIMAN RE300h Earphone - Audiophile Earbud by conquerator2
- › Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones by Donnyboy98
- › Shure SE425 Earphone by cuiter23
- › HiFiMAN HE-560 by moodyrn
- › AKG K551 Closed-Back Reference Class Headset with Mic (Black/Silver) by GL1TCH3D
- › JVC HAM55X High Quality Xtreme-Xplosvs Headphones by Thoft208
- › Denon AH-MM400 Music Maniac Over-Ear Headphones by musikaladin
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3