Thanks. You should notice the bass extension tapering off regardless of what volume you play them at.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMFITON TDS-15tagged by drawning126, 5/15/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- brandFostextagged by System, 12/17/10
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/13/10
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by drawning126, 5/14/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SR-40tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by yonas, 1/28/13More
- brandYamahatagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha electronics HP-3 headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-1tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-3tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha YH-1000tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on 2/20/17 at 7:06pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 2/13/17
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 1/3/17
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
Equipment to compare. iFi iDSD Black Label AMP/DAC (returned) Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen Headphones (returned) Meridian Explorer 2 AMP/DAC (returned) Beyerdynamic A20 Amp (returned) HiFiMan X...
RHA CL1 – initial impressions Reid Heath Audio are a Scotland-based manufacturer who will be familiar to iFans, with their T10i and T20i all-metal IEMs being prominently displayed in Apple...
Why I love iFi and their products iFi have been known, reputably for their amazing amplifiers and DAC. Ranging from Nano to Micro to Retro and the most recent addition, the Pro line, iFi have an...
Build/Accessories: The Earsonics SM3 is a triple balanced armature IEM, with one driver for the lows, one for the mids, and one for the treble region. the shell is clear acryllic on the...
Introduction – The X5 is perhaps the quintessential Fiio player, it was one of their first devices and also one of their most universally acclaimed. Fiio have come far since the unveiling of the...
Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 1413
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #21182 of 246992/22/13 at 1:45pm
Doing a listening comparison of the Unipolar and HP-50S now - as far as bass goes (in reference to the above), both phones do 50 and 40 Hz relatively close to the 1 kHz level, though the Unipolar more so, and only the Unipolar manages 30 Hz audibly when the overall volume is set to comfortable at 1 kHz.post #21183 of 246992/22/13 at 6:46pmpost #21184 of 246992/22/13 at 7:04pmpost #21185 of 246992/23/13 at 6:44pm
HOK open-backed, not forgetting duct tape.
The headband is that of a Pioneer SE-90D (a bit rare).
http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/pioneer/SE-90D.html has a picture of the headband's cup fork – it happens to be the sort of shape to hug the HOK's baffle just right on the backside. Not the most durable attachment there with the tape, but it doesn't seem to wobble too much anyway. Not sure how I'd attach the pads.
The sound needs +10 dB of EQ in the bass (that's HOK #1 for you), but apart from that, it's pretty decent with the pads just pressing against the baffle. A wide, relatively natural soundstage, though not very deep. I'll do some measurements later to see if anything improved over stock or whether everything got worse.post #21186 of 246992/24/13 at 5:21amQuote:Originally Posted by vid
Doing a listening comparison of the Unipolar and HP-50S now - as far as bass goes (in reference to the above), both phones do 50 and 40 Hz relatively close to the 1 kHz level, though the Unipolar more so, and only the Unipolar manages 30 Hz audibly when the overall volume is set to comfortable at 1 kHz.
there seem to be wide variations in the HP50 series: my HP50A bring the 30Hz with ease.post #21187 of 246992/24/13 at 6:15ampost #21188 of 246992/24/13 at 11:35ampost #21189 of 246992/24/13 at 2:56pmpost #21190 of 246992/24/13 at 5:08pmThread Starter
That was my experience too. Surprisingly little difference with most (but not all) of the back taken out.post #21191 of 246992/25/13 at 5:15pm
Put the HOK drivers back into their cups. Stuffed the cups chock full of cotton, then added two discs of wool to the back of the driver just to increase the amount of stuff in the cup. They barely stay closed. Blu-tacked the rim of the baffle shut.
Not a big change overall compared to no cup at all, but the decay in the mids now measures very clean.
Also, as the plot kinda shows, the response starts going downhill below 1 kHz – the bass extension is literally over before it began.
The curious bit is that the soundstage is still decent. I don't have the back disc in, so in essence the cups are open, but there's a wall of cotton there.post #21192 of 246992/25/13 at 6:40pm
Playing around with the HE-6, a bit of twaron angel hair in front of the driver made a huge difference, moreso than anything behind the driver. Makes sense in retrospect, but sometimes it's easy to get caught up in thinking about how to stuff the cups (heh) that we forget about the front end.post #21193 of 246992/25/13 at 8:04pm
Now there's a novel idea.
No issues with it expanding into the diaphragm itself? I never bothered to remember how it's all set up in there from the pictures I've seen.post #21194 of 246992/25/13 at 9:04pm
Nope, the front is protected by a grill and magnet assembly, though I do still have that nylon dust cover in front and a piece of felt (the twaron is sandwiched in between). I also regrilled the backside with something much more open, and took out the stock foam as well. The result is far less reflections/ringing. That combined with the angel hair in front and the J$ pads and the HE-6 is almost dark sounding in comparison now. It still has that delicious clarity and sharpness, but that upper edge is gone. Taking out the angel hair would give it a bit more bite, but that's into preferences again.post #21195 of 246992/27/13 at 5:09amQuote:
Let's not rag on cup-stuffing. It's perfectly normal.
- Orthodynamic Roundup
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › What a long, strange trip it's been -- (Robert Hunter) 12 seconds ago
- › Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - 👌 screenless budget... 37 seconds ago
- › Sony MDR-1A vs 1More Triple Driver 38 seconds ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 1 minute ago
- › REVIEW: Ross Martin PCM 1794 DAC- $250 Overachiever 2 minutes ago
- › Classical music discussion, what do you like? 2 minutes ago
- › Toxic Cables - Impressions and Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Best classical recordings...ever! 3 minutes ago
- › The Hardest hitting Headphones are.. ( "The EXTREME BASS Club") 4 minutes ago
- › Westone W80 5 minutes ago
- › Joyroom JR-E107 Metal Headphone In-Ear Earphone With Control And... by B9Scrambler
- › Chord MoJo by mswlogo
- › RHA CL1 Ceramic by Jackpot77
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by BillsonChang007
- › EarSonics SM3 Universal Fit IEM by mrstrangeguy
- › FiiO X5 3rd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by ryanjsoo
- › FiiO X5 2nd gen Premium Hi-Res DAP by Dobrescu George
- › Brainwavz B150 by crabdog
- › 1MORE1008 Earbud by Peddler
- › Cayin i5 by subguy812
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear