Thanks. You should notice the bass extension tapering off regardless of what volume you play them at.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMFITON TDS-15tagged by drawning126, 5/15/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- brandFostextagged by System, 12/17/10
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/13/10
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by drawning126, 5/14/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SR-40tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by yonas, 1/28/13More
- brandYamahatagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha electronics HP-3 headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-1tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-3tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha YH-1000tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on 7/28/16 at 7:51am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
When I was a child in the '80s, one of my neighbour's kids, a gloriously goofy-looking guy of the era, was always out on his driveway fixing his motorbikes, then later, his car, a vintage Ford V8....
"In a cold world of flagships, the LCD-4 gives me the warmth I have been asking for." -Probably someone...
This review is for someone looking for a good pair of in-ear headphones after using over-ear phones; that's the situation where I am coming from at least, as I have been using Sennheiser's HD598...
I was excited to be approached by world famous cable artisan company 'Effect Audio' and asked me to provide a review of their recently released Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable. This cable is...
This is my second attempt at using a portable amp (I returned my Fiio E12A for this). That was a good decision. The Cayin C5 is an absolute powerhouse. It can power IEM's and earbuds...
Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 1413
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #21182 of 246292/22/13 at 1:45pm
Doing a listening comparison of the Unipolar and HP-50S now - as far as bass goes (in reference to the above), both phones do 50 and 40 Hz relatively close to the 1 kHz level, though the Unipolar more so, and only the Unipolar manages 30 Hz audibly when the overall volume is set to comfortable at 1 kHz.post #21183 of 246292/22/13 at 6:46pmpost #21184 of 246292/22/13 at 7:04pmpost #21185 of 246292/23/13 at 6:44pm
HOK open-backed, not forgetting duct tape.
The headband is that of a Pioneer SE-90D (a bit rare).
http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/pioneer/SE-90D.html has a picture of the headband's cup fork – it happens to be the sort of shape to hug the HOK's baffle just right on the backside. Not the most durable attachment there with the tape, but it doesn't seem to wobble too much anyway. Not sure how I'd attach the pads.
The sound needs +10 dB of EQ in the bass (that's HOK #1 for you), but apart from that, it's pretty decent with the pads just pressing against the baffle. A wide, relatively natural soundstage, though not very deep. I'll do some measurements later to see if anything improved over stock or whether everything got worse.post #21186 of 246292/24/13 at 5:21amQuote:Originally Posted by vid
Doing a listening comparison of the Unipolar and HP-50S now - as far as bass goes (in reference to the above), both phones do 50 and 40 Hz relatively close to the 1 kHz level, though the Unipolar more so, and only the Unipolar manages 30 Hz audibly when the overall volume is set to comfortable at 1 kHz.
there seem to be wide variations in the HP50 series: my HP50A bring the 30Hz with ease.post #21187 of 246292/24/13 at 6:15ampost #21188 of 246292/24/13 at 11:35ampost #21189 of 246292/24/13 at 2:56pmpost #21190 of 246292/24/13 at 5:08pmThread Starter
That was my experience too. Surprisingly little difference with most (but not all) of the back taken out.post #21191 of 246292/25/13 at 5:15pm
Put the HOK drivers back into their cups. Stuffed the cups chock full of cotton, then added two discs of wool to the back of the driver just to increase the amount of stuff in the cup. They barely stay closed. Blu-tacked the rim of the baffle shut.
Not a big change overall compared to no cup at all, but the decay in the mids now measures very clean.
Also, as the plot kinda shows, the response starts going downhill below 1 kHz – the bass extension is literally over before it began.
The curious bit is that the soundstage is still decent. I don't have the back disc in, so in essence the cups are open, but there's a wall of cotton there.post #21192 of 246292/25/13 at 6:40pm
Playing around with the HE-6, a bit of twaron angel hair in front of the driver made a huge difference, moreso than anything behind the driver. Makes sense in retrospect, but sometimes it's easy to get caught up in thinking about how to stuff the cups (heh) that we forget about the front end.post #21193 of 246292/25/13 at 8:04pm
Now there's a novel idea.
No issues with it expanding into the diaphragm itself? I never bothered to remember how it's all set up in there from the pictures I've seen.post #21194 of 246292/25/13 at 9:04pm
Nope, the front is protected by a grill and magnet assembly, though I do still have that nylon dust cover in front and a piece of felt (the twaron is sandwiched in between). I also regrilled the backside with something much more open, and took out the stock foam as well. The result is far less reflections/ringing. That combined with the angel hair in front and the J$ pads and the HE-6 is almost dark sounding in comparison now. It still has that delicious clarity and sharpness, but that upper edge is gone. Taking out the angel hair would give it a bit more bite, but that's into preferences again.post #21195 of 246292/27/13 at 5:09amQuote:
Let's not rag on cup-stuffing. It's perfectly normal.
- Orthodynamic Roundup
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Introducing the Immersive PC 373D 27 seconds ago
- › Hifiman HE-560 FS 36 seconds ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 1 minute ago
- › Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp 2 minutes ago
- › chasing a cheap answer to portable headphone preamps on an iPhone? 3 minutes ago
- › Cavalli Audio's Liquid Carbon Owners Impressions 3 minutes ago
- › = HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread = 5 minutes ago
- › New Dragonfly Black and Red Discussion 5 minutes ago
- › What should I buy for my first sett of pcfi solution? 7 minutes ago
- › TRINITY - PHANTOM Series - New thread + WORLDS FIRST PUSH PULL... 7 minutes ago
- › Chord DAVE by Currawong
- › Audeze LCD-4 by Dillan
- › Sennheiser IE80 by AnssiRai
- › Effect Audio Ares II + Plus Edition IEM cable by sonickarma
- › Cayin C5 Portable HIFI Audio Headphone Amplifier by Tayyab Pirzada
- › Edifier S1000DB Audiophile Active Bookshelf Speakers - Bluetooth... by dnun8086
- › Sennheiser Momentum Wireless Over Ear Headphones by Llloyd
- › Simaudio 230HAD by sheldaze
- › FiiO L9 L-Shaped Line Out Dock (LOD) Cable For iPod and iPhone by ryanjsoo
- › Espressivo-E by Feliks Audio by thatonenoob
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...