Thanks. You should notice the bass extension tapering off regardless of what volume you play them at.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMFITON TDS-15tagged by drawning126, 5/15/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- brandFostextagged by System, 12/17/10
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/13/10
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by drawning126, 5/14/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SR-40tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by yonas, 1/28/13More
- brandYamahatagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha electronics HP-3 headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-1tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-3tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha YH-1000tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on Yesterday at 6:30 am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Ampsandsound Agartha: Silken Simplicity Reviewed by: Dillan (Photo source: ampsandsound.com) Introduction Tube amplifiers are a real hard thing to get right. Some people...
I first started with the ath a900x which i fell in love with. Recently they broke, and i did not have the money to purchases them again or the newer model. So i took a chance and got the a550z, for...
-Introduction- RHA is an interesting company. It has forged its own place within the audiophile world, making a name for itself based on the industrial design language of its products and the...
Welcome to the review of wireless + Wired High resolution in ear monitors Advanced Model 3. Disclaimer: This headphones were a sample provided by Advanced team for my review. I am not...
iBasso IT03 [1xDD 2xBA] Introduction: the mission statement of the company iBasso is “To capture the essence of music for all to enjoy” On their Facebook banner it also reads “We...
Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 1413
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #21182 of 246582/22/13 at 1:45pm
Doing a listening comparison of the Unipolar and HP-50S now - as far as bass goes (in reference to the above), both phones do 50 and 40 Hz relatively close to the 1 kHz level, though the Unipolar more so, and only the Unipolar manages 30 Hz audibly when the overall volume is set to comfortable at 1 kHz.post #21183 of 246582/22/13 at 6:46pmpost #21184 of 246582/22/13 at 7:04pmpost #21185 of 246582/23/13 at 6:44pm
HOK open-backed, not forgetting duct tape.
The headband is that of a Pioneer SE-90D (a bit rare).
http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/pioneer/SE-90D.html has a picture of the headband's cup fork – it happens to be the sort of shape to hug the HOK's baffle just right on the backside. Not the most durable attachment there with the tape, but it doesn't seem to wobble too much anyway. Not sure how I'd attach the pads.
The sound needs +10 dB of EQ in the bass (that's HOK #1 for you), but apart from that, it's pretty decent with the pads just pressing against the baffle. A wide, relatively natural soundstage, though not very deep. I'll do some measurements later to see if anything improved over stock or whether everything got worse.post #21186 of 246582/24/13 at 5:21amQuote:Originally Posted by vid
Doing a listening comparison of the Unipolar and HP-50S now - as far as bass goes (in reference to the above), both phones do 50 and 40 Hz relatively close to the 1 kHz level, though the Unipolar more so, and only the Unipolar manages 30 Hz audibly when the overall volume is set to comfortable at 1 kHz.
there seem to be wide variations in the HP50 series: my HP50A bring the 30Hz with ease.post #21187 of 246582/24/13 at 6:15ampost #21188 of 246582/24/13 at 11:35ampost #21189 of 246582/24/13 at 2:56pmpost #21190 of 246582/24/13 at 5:08pmThread Starter
That was my experience too. Surprisingly little difference with most (but not all) of the back taken out.post #21191 of 246582/25/13 at 5:15pm
Put the HOK drivers back into their cups. Stuffed the cups chock full of cotton, then added two discs of wool to the back of the driver just to increase the amount of stuff in the cup. They barely stay closed. Blu-tacked the rim of the baffle shut.
Not a big change overall compared to no cup at all, but the decay in the mids now measures very clean.
Also, as the plot kinda shows, the response starts going downhill below 1 kHz – the bass extension is literally over before it began.
The curious bit is that the soundstage is still decent. I don't have the back disc in, so in essence the cups are open, but there's a wall of cotton there.post #21192 of 246582/25/13 at 6:40pm
Playing around with the HE-6, a bit of twaron angel hair in front of the driver made a huge difference, moreso than anything behind the driver. Makes sense in retrospect, but sometimes it's easy to get caught up in thinking about how to stuff the cups (heh) that we forget about the front end.post #21193 of 246582/25/13 at 8:04pm
Now there's a novel idea.
No issues with it expanding into the diaphragm itself? I never bothered to remember how it's all set up in there from the pictures I've seen.post #21194 of 246582/25/13 at 9:04pm
Nope, the front is protected by a grill and magnet assembly, though I do still have that nylon dust cover in front and a piece of felt (the twaron is sandwiched in between). I also regrilled the backside with something much more open, and took out the stock foam as well. The result is far less reflections/ringing. That combined with the angel hair in front and the J$ pads and the HE-6 is almost dark sounding in comparison now. It still has that delicious clarity and sharpness, but that upper edge is gone. Taking out the angel hair would give it a bit more bite, but that's into preferences again.post #21195 of 246582/27/13 at 5:09amQuote:
Let's not rag on cup-stuffing. It's perfectly normal.
- Orthodynamic Roundup
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Chord Mojo - The Official Thread .☆*¨*★. Please READ the 3rd... 5 seconds ago
- › Home-Made IEMs 43 seconds ago
- › Review of the Little-Dot MKII Tube Headphone Amp/Pre-Amp 1 minute ago
- › Wired Headphones is Dead the future is wireless 1 minute ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Portable Headphones and IEMs) 1 minute ago
- › New Member Introductions thread 2 minutes ago
- › Colorfly C3 Discussion Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Earsonics SM64: The Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Lets Talk Metal 3 minutes ago
- › The Official Sony MDR-Z1R Flagship Headphone Thread (Live From IFA... 3 minutes ago
- › RHA T20 by RaoulRutnam
- › ampsandsound Agartha Single-Ended Amplifier by Dillan
- › audio-technica ATH-A550Z Art-Monitor Headphones by rickyday
- › Advanced Sound by gprs007
- › iBasso IT03 by jon parker
- › Arcam irDAC-II - DAC, Headphone Amp, Bluetooth Streamer by crabdog
- › Noble Audio Kaiser 10 by dubbcd
- › 1MORE iBFree Bluetooth In-Ear Headphones with Microphone and Remote... by dnun8086
- › AAW Nebula Two Hybrid In-Ear Monitor by peter123
- › Brainwavz Krudul Duo Earphone Storage Management System Hanger by FUYU
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...