I agree, and a formidable project to take on as his first! Nick, are you still having trouble posting images for him?
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMFITON TDS-15tagged by drawning126, 5/15/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- brandFostextagged by System, 12/17/10
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/13/10
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by drawning126, 5/14/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SR-40tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by yonas, 1/28/13More
- brandYamahatagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha electronics HP-3 headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-1tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-3tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha YH-1000tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) Last post on 6/30/14 at 6:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- My first HiFi cans Last post on 9/11/12 at 8:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/11/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeLast edited: 10/26/12
- A Hopefully Helpful Headphone Buying Guide For Newbies By BoomanaLast edited: 1/6/13
i've read a number of reviews around the net which criticize the k812's for harsh treble and limited bass - all i can say is that my experience with these 'phones does NOT bear that out. the bass...
I like to mod…yes, I am one of those head-fiers. My specific area of interest is Grados, and wooden cups for them. I delight in sourcing cups, finding the drivers, and transforming a prosaic...
The Korean company really needs no introduction at this point. They have proven themselves as a capable IEM maker with a series of top of the line hybrid as well as some good sound yet budget...
These iems are better than some entry levels (Shure 215/ hifiman RE0/ RE 400/ Sennheiser CX300) with a wider soundstage due to the 13mm dynamic driver , however need serious burn in for at least 50...
First, I’d like to thank the folks at Narmoo for providing a sample of their R1M earphones for review. In recent years, the IEM market has sort of exploded, seeing a number of established...
Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 1410post #21136 of 233662/16/13 at 11:51pmThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #21137 of 233662/17/13 at 12:15ampost #21138 of 233662/17/13 at 6:37amQuote:
I'm not aware of any clear grading between heavy and light bass for the HP-3. People seem to not specify how low in Hz their versions actually go.
Assume you have the bass-heavy version no matter what you hear, then mod them with the idea in mind that the bass (in terms of extension) is going to show up once you're done.post #21139 of 233662/17/13 at 8:18am
I'm finally getting around to taking apart my ATH-7, to fix what I assume is a broken lead or solder point inside the right cup. (and I'm assuming it's that because I could actually get signal by working the strain relief around at the cable exit point for a while.)
Has anybody got a good idea on how to disassemble them? I assumed step 1 was to remove the pad, but it's slow going and I haven't found any screw heads or clips underneath what I've peeled back so far.post #21140 of 233662/17/13 at 9:07am
I saw these a month ago and seems no one has bitten: http://www.sahibinden.com/listing/alisveris-ev-elektronigi-ev-ses-sistemi-dual-dk-830-hifi-kulaklik-nadir-115304813/detail/
If someone is in turkey maybe a good project for you. Dunno how reliable this site is though. Tread with caution.
Considering they look like practically NOS id say you got a real bargain there.
Im thinking maybe its too close to the driver to serve the purpose you wish?Quote:Originally Posted by EddieE
As a slight tangent - has it ever been proved that angling the drivers does actually increase soundstage?
It's a popular view, but I'm not really convinced.
Soundstage size seems more linked to the size of the ear pad chamber (the space created by the earpad, baffle and size of the head); the openness of the earpad or baffle (I guess reducing resonances in that chamber) and to an extent the frequency response (EQ down treble on a headphone and the soundstage seems to reduce in turn).
I agree that angled earpads dont nescasarily give soundstage. And its been mentioned before, but theres a difference between headstage and soundstage, and the terms are often blurred on headfi so confusion occurs.post #21141 of 233662/17/13 at 7:19pm
Finished up a lower profile pad replacement thought I would post it up in the interest of thread bumpage and possible inspiration for someone who just might need the extra little nudge to do a bit of modding they have been ignoring.
All the crinkles should be gone by tomorrow the cleaner/conditioner i use has a tendency to soak in over a couple days, it's already swelled a fair bit since last night noticeably. This is some of the softest leather I have ever tried, the sort of stuff that after a nice wear in completely seals and feels like it disappears on your head.
Really tempting to replace all of my things with this considering that.
They aren't %100 absolutely perfect, but so close it's not worth worrying , except that the stock pads ( not shown ) have a weaker foam, and it took some double-sided tape to remove all the original flaking coating. ( < boy that's fun and satisfying ) Inner openings are near perfect dimensions.
And they are amazingly comfortable.
These have < 15 minutes listening time total, ever, being a NOS unmodded spare set.
suppose I could have done something in a silver fabric to keep the theme
Edited by nick n - 2/17/13 at 8:41pmpost #21142 of 233662/18/13 at 12:47am
I Just want to show off two projects that I just recently finished. My first project is a pair of Fostex T50rp which I named Los Matadors.
My second project is a pair of Pioneer SE-L40 with Yamaha HP-1 drivers. I call these the Conquistadors.
For more info on both these headphones check out the link below.post #21143 of 233662/18/13 at 1:28am
Glad you can finally post pictures.
Looking forward to seeing any further creations or tweaking what you have there already unless you are satisfied, but this place...can make you second guess all the time.
Also don't feel like you have to go nuts on sonic impressions, just say it like you hear it if you decide later on as you get more used to them.
That first picture reminds me of something:
Edited by nick n - 2/18/13 at 1:31ampost #21144 of 233662/18/13 at 10:35am
ATH-7 surgery continues slowly...
Found the screw heads. They were hiding under the mostly-rotted plastic liner that covered the ear pads.
Tricky to find because the liner is stretched taut; it took pushing down on the liner to feel for recesses to find them.
There are five screws; at 12:00, 2:00, 8:00, 5:30 and 6:30, the latter two on either side of the cable entry.
This is the current state of the right driver. Gamma deliberately made horrible to emphasize all that black-on-black detail. I hadn't counted on having to replace the seal as well. Will blu-tak work as an improvised gasket?
Next step is to probe the wires to see where the break is. I'm curious what that resistor's doing there, too; hopefully that won't need replacing.post #21145 of 233662/18/13 at 11:00am
I would maybe consider plumber's putty. A lot softer and easier to work with and easier to remove when needed.post #21146 of 233662/18/13 at 11:09am
doesn't plumbers putty degas? I have usually steered away from it because of this. A good seal can be had with the window seal they use for RV's = very maleable putty and doesn't dry out..dBpost #21147 of 233662/18/13 at 11:18amQuote:
I'm not sure? I've used it in some headphones before and haven't noticed anything. They're usually say if they're safe for plastics or something.post #21148 of 233662/18/13 at 11:30amQuote:
Electricians Putty (slang name Monkey S..T) available in bricks at Home Depot or Lowes will do. It's incredibly dense, we use it to make silent pellet traps as it stops about anything that vibrates.post #21149 of 233662/18/13 at 11:32am
The current liner is dense closed-cell foam, so I was thinking the optimal replacement would probably be a ring cut from chamois or something similar.post #21150 of 233662/18/13 at 12:17pm
Blah, looks like the gap in the wire is somewhere inside the strain relief, which is weird. Trying to see if there's a way to scooch it down the wire an inch.
- Orthodynamic Roundup
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2
- › NAD Viso HP50 : Another superb headphone from Paul Barton? 38 seconds ago
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 42 seconds ago
- › iBasso DX50 + Rockbox finally here (Latest Update: 2014-06-30) 1 minute ago
- › 0 lag portable audio amp? 2 minutes ago
- › TOPPING NX1 Portable Headphone Amplifier Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Review of soundmagic es10 , es18 , creative ep600 , cowon ce1 , jbl... 2 minutes ago
- › FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › Creative Titanium HD VS dedicated DAC 4 minutes ago
- › Audiophilleo 1 and 2 USB to S/PDIF transport 4 minutes ago
- › AKG K812 by jk47
- › Sennheiser Grado Hybrid a.k.a. SennGrado by fleasbaby
- › T-Peos Altone200 by ClieOS
- › SONY MDR-XB30EX-B Black | In-Ear EXTRA BASS Headphones (Japanese... by francopro
- › NarMoo R1M High-Fidelity Noise Isolation Headphones with Mic by TheGame21x
- › FiiO X3 Portable Music Player by ash47
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by shak85
- › C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp by shak85
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by cel4145
- › TDK BA200 by Ch1Kn
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Wireless Headphones)