member nick n caught me skulking around the vintage receiver forum and asked me to post on a T50rp rebuild I had started a while ago.
My intent was to completely rebuild the housing in an attempt to angle the drivers. My hope was this would give me a little better soundstage. I had experimented with angled Stax pads in the past and the results were very favorable, if somewhat expensive.
I built the cups up from aluminum with the baffle fixed to a hemisphere. Due to the construction I had to use the original driver reversed, i.e. back facing out. Since the front and rear of the driver seemed to be identical this didn't appear to be a problem. I removed the filter paper front and back in order to make them more "symetrical" (this may have been my first mistake). I stuffed the enslosures with some long hair wool I had and wired them up. Well expectation bias and psychoacoustics came heavily into play at this point as I believed what I was hearing was a substantial improvement. Luckily I had purchased a second pair of T50rps as my control group (unmodified). When I switched back to the unmodified T50s they were better, and remained so.
I futzed with the damping and tried molding the face of the baffle up with museum putty in an attempt to improve the sound but all of my efforts were wasted. I just couldn't get them to sound good. I became so disgusted with the project I haven't touched it in months. I haven't given up totally yet though. I think I need to pull the long hair wool out and replace it with basic fiber glass and attempt to reinstall some type of filter over the front and back of the driver similar to the original.
Edited by Vaughn - 2/8/13 at 8:39am