- 42 Posts. Joined 10/2012
- Location: Austria
- Select All Posts By This User
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMFITON TDS-15tagged by drawning126, 5/15/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- brandFostextagged by System, 12/17/10
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/13/10
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by drawning126, 5/14/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SR-40tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by yonas, 1/28/13More
- brandYamahatagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha electronics HP-3 headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-1tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-3tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha YH-1000tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on Yesterday at 5:05 pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 1392post #20866 of 2424912/12/12 at 5:25amI would not mind any variations in the acoustic front in the mm region, because the wavelenght of 20kHz is 1.7cm. As long as there is no disturbance or any obstacle to the free flow this should have a neglectible influence.
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #20867 of 2424912/12/12 at 4:14pmThread Starter
Off topic, but this does represent another way to move air and thus another way to produce sound, aside from the cooling function.
And once again it's look-ma-no-magnets, piezo to the rescue.post #20868 of 2424912/12/12 at 6:00pmQuote:
"The turbulent air flow of the DCJ increases the heat transfer rate to more than ten times that of natural convection."
I wonder to how many times that of natural convection a fan increases the heat transfer rate. 100?post #20869 of 2424912/12/12 at 7:23pm
I suppose the air-motion-transformer/Heil speakers are somewhat related... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Motion_Transformerpost #20870 of 2424912/12/12 at 11:20pmThread Starter
This appears to be a ducted piezo fan, and the blade simply waves back and forth at high speed, so it doesn't look like it makes use of the "clapping" motion of the Heil invention, although no reason why it couldn't down the road.
Air motion in the piezo fan is from the high-speed vortices (miniature tornados) being shed from the leading edge. Make a headphone out of it and you could give it a cool name like VortexaPhone. The engineering problem is figuring out how to modulate what in electrical terms would be a noisy DC power source.
Here's a Boeing patent that may or may not be of interest: http://www.google.com/patents/US4834619post #20871 of 2424912/13/12 at 1:48pmpost #20872 of 2424912/15/12 at 5:18am
update to the HP-1 mods:
new earpads made of fine goatskin with visco foam:
made the hole smaller than the original (for comparison on the left side of the picture) and got a better seal to the ears and the sound is more involving and direct - like it very much!post #20873 of 2424912/15/12 at 8:06am
Got down to it and fixed my Grundigs this cold Saturday. Basically copied Ludoo's and gurubhai's damping scheme, very simple.
In its present state the GDHS223 sounded bland and lifeless, no doubt because the only damping, a foam disc, had turned into goo and crumbles.
First a clean-up to get rid of all the debris.
Then a disc of felt (Ludoo's 1 mm Brookmore wool).
A similarly shaped piece of foam.
Some double sided tape.
And finally another pice of foam, I used two layers since the foam was quite thin, and some blutak on the baffle for mass damping.
Initial results are very promising - it sounds excellent and goes to show what a little damping can do. It's balanced throughout the frequency range with good dynamics and air too. Will leave it like this for a while to let it settle before I decide if further steps might be beneficial. Cleaned the rest of the headphone as well - the pads and headband were in quite good condition and it's very comfortable to wear.
Edited by MDR30 - 12/15/12 at 3:15pmpost #20874 of 2424912/15/12 at 9:22amQuote:
At first I thought you were going to be using hair for damping... then I realized it was just a picture underneath.
So while we're on the topic of weird, has anyone tried hair? After all... it's thin, organic, a good insulator...post #20875 of 2424912/15/12 at 12:54pmQuote:Haha, glad I'm not the only one that thought that.
Hair? I'm sure having hair sticking out of vents will not look appealingpost #20876 of 2424912/15/12 at 1:52pmpost #20877 of 2424912/17/12 at 4:16pmI'll just throw this in here and come back to check after my exams:
Would anyone be able to teach me how to take these apart? I don't know how to remove the driver unit from the cups and these need a complete recabling otherwise unusable =/
It's one of those non-foldable TDS-15. The drivers and cups should be identical to the folding variant.post #20878 of 2424912/17/12 at 6:20pm
why can I see through the middle of the metal retaining plate there, is that how they came? Is there even magnets or a diaphragm in there? yikes I need to know!
I hope it is just the lighting in your picture.
khbaur had his set apart one time he would know how to do it properly.
Edited by nick n - 12/17/12 at 6:26pmpost #20879 of 2424912/17/12 at 8:37pm
Yeah it should be the lighting. The stuff between the plates are none other than the diaphragm, whose detail cannot be seen due to poor lighting conditions in the picture.
This view = the one on the left in the first link you posted. Magnets seem to be on the back side (right one in the picture). The magnets on this side are parallel to the metal plate
Though from that picture it doesn't seem like the back side would help me much in soldering, except to fit new cables.
:S I'll worry about this in 2 days.
*edited for corrections*
Edited by kalbee - 12/18/12 at 10:19ampost #20880 of 2424912/22/12 at 7:55pmWow. Well, nick was Nick was right again. I thought there could be no foam inside the earpads but I was wrong. But what matter of state is that?! Worse then my HP-2 for sure. For now I managed to scrape all of it out and put some foam cutout I had from before.
Recabling also went well but as you can see I really didn't do these justice with the random cables from a Sony I had lying around. Maybe I'll grab a black sharpie and make it look a bit more normal. Not to mention there is no knot or anything inside to keep cable tug from breaking something :S
Because the cups are still cracked I guess, the baffle/pads still do not stay put. The left side of headband is still broken but they're still usable as-is. Assuming I wouldn't be moving too much I'd assume.
Fixed the mobile auto-correct lol
Edited by kalbee - 12/22/12 at 9:24pm
- Orthodynamic Roundup
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Flagship 5 seconds ago
- › NEW SONY NW-A20 SERIES 27 seconds ago
- › KGSShv Carbon - hows it sound with the 009s? 34 seconds ago
- › Did Sennheiser just reveal the Orpheus successor? 1 minute ago
- › Sony Xperia Z5 Range - Audio Quality 1 minute ago
- › Okay, tired of making threads, let's end this already. Fight for... 1 minute ago
- › Search builder for custom headphone amp 1 minute ago
- › Astell & Kern Junior AK JR Special Edition 2 minutes ago
- › Glenn OTL amp, will ship CONUS now 2 minutes ago
- › VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread 3 minutes ago
- › HAVIT® HV-H91DJ Professional Stereo Studio Dj Series Headphones... by Vividcard
- › SoundFoundations Barracuda PowerMax Elite by YoYo JoKeR
- › Pro-Ject Audio - Hear it One - Audiophile stereo headphone - Black by ForShure
- › DUNU DN-2000J by HiFiChris
- › MEElectronics A151 2nd Generation by HiFiChris
- › Sound Blaster E5 - 24-bit/192kHz High-Resolution USB DAC &... by hakushondaimao
- › Creative T4W 2.1 Wireless Bluetooth Speaker System by BloodyPenguin
- › G430 Gaming Headset by themastercheif
- › Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 with 7.1 Surround Sound by themastercheif
- › Rolls PM57 Headphone Tap by BeatsWork
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2