Thanks for the reply on that
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMFITON TDS-15tagged by drawning126, 5/15/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- brandFostextagged by System, 12/17/10
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/13/10
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by drawning126, 5/14/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SR-40tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by yonas, 1/28/13More
- brandYamahatagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha electronics HP-3 headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-1tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-3tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha YH-1000tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) UPDATE: AUDEZ'E LCD-2 Revision 2 (6/4/13) Last post on 6/30/14 at 6:22am in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
- My first HiFi cans Last post on 9/11/12 at 8:46pm in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 7/25/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2Last edited: 7/11/14
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)Last edited: 7/10/14
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Got a good local deal on these as the are being replaced by the SoundTrue variant, which as far as I can tell, only adds a case and different colors. The Bose AE2 are a very lightweight...
Design and Comfort S5 is a new higher-end in-ear-monitor from Brainwavz retailing at about US$100. I’m glad Brainwavz has offerings at most price points below $200. It's great that companies such...
RockJaw is an up and coming headphone company from Great Britain starting strong with a huge lineup. The Alfa Genus is one of their midrange offerings and offers a certain special something that is...
Bought the active noise cancelling version of these as a daily deal on Amazon for <$20. Active noise cancelling completely broken on both my original unit and the replacement - so on one hand...
Thanks to Oppo Digital Japan for allowing us to borrow the PM-1 and HA-1. Oppo coming out with a pair of headphones was quite a surprised, especially a pair of planars. Likewise the HA-1,...
Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 1391post #20851 of 2337612/4/12 at 9:29pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #20852 of 2337612/5/12 at 8:40amThread Starterpost #20853 of 2337612/5/12 at 5:31pm
speaking of Fostex Drivers, will whoever outbid me on the Kenwood / Trio KH-83 from the UK please step forward and claim my angst
Seriously though if it was someone in here maybe pop in and give us a glimpse of the innards, pwetty pwease.post #20854 of 2337612/5/12 at 9:50pmpost #20855 of 2337612/5/12 at 9:58pmpost #20856 of 2337612/5/12 at 10:07pmpost #20857 of 2337612/6/12 at 12:42am
If you are going to thank me for such trifles, atleast do it properly & send a fat cheque my way.Quote:
I got back to tinkering them only to adjust to the new pads.The velour pads improve the treble & greatly enhance the soundstage(mostly from the backwave mixing but also from the reduced damping requirements due to better treble extension).
I have ignored these a bit in the recent months partly because I preferred my yammies & partly because they needed a recable.With the new pads & recable these are back to being one of my favorites & will be in regular rotation henceforth.post #20858 of 2337612/10/12 at 12:03pm
Like someone pointed out before: the biggest pads and baffles for a 40 mm driver.
It's the Grundig GDHS223, also Pacific Concept, also a Fostex T20 clone.
It's so easy to dismantle, only a screw at the top and the bottom of the cup.
Only damping is a foam pad, disintegrating by age, as opposed to the better quality Yamaha pads that are still springy 30 years on.
Membrane coil pattern seems not as fine as the Yamaha, also substantiated by the 50-55 ohm impedance. Implying less speed, but also greater current ability, for those late ´70s heavy rockers monotoring their upcoming hit at ear splitting levels.
Driver integrated with baffle, just as with the T20.
In this condition - with old, sticky foam falling apart - sounds a bit bland to me, and I'm not sure a felt damping could do wonders. But I'll give it a go. Pads are in good condition and secured with double sided tape to the baffle, so I don't think there's bass leakage here. Will still put blutak between baffle and cup and see what happens. There's a fine net on the ear side, hardly affects the sound, but the small, perforated baffle might be an obstacle. Does the T20 look the same?
Edited by MDR30 - 12/10/12 at 1:00pmpost #20859 of 2337612/10/12 at 12:30pmpost #20860 of 2337612/11/12 at 10:27amThread Starter
MDR30: my T20's grille (or grill, if you're hungry) looks just like yours-- the @#$% holes don't line up. I don't know if my T20 is as new as Congo5's, since the little "T20" badges are missing. It's a pro audio headphone what don't need no badges, but they tell me that Congo5's is a late model. I do know that the foam pad in the T20 is different from your Grundig's.post #20861 of 2337612/11/12 at 12:13pm
Does it matter for the holes to line up? I don't think it would make a difference as the pressure should be more or less equalized across the diaphragm surface...post #20862 of 2337612/11/12 at 12:17pmQuote:Originally Posted by wualta
MDR30: my T20's grille (or grill, if you're hungry) looks just like yours-- the @#$% holes don't line up. I don't know if my T20 is as new as Congo5's, since the little "T20" badges are missing. It's a pro audio headphone what don't need no badges, but they tell me that Congo5's is a late model. I do know that the foam pad in the T20 is different from your Grundig's.
Seems the driver is bare on Congo5's T20, no mesh or baffle grille, pure magnet. 'Cause I presume that's the ear side on the first pic?post #20863 of 2337612/11/12 at 12:25pmThread Starter
His assembled-T20 photo does show a grille.
It probably doesn't make a lot of audible difference, but my OCD kicks in when I see the holes not lining up. Just looks wrong.
Edited by wualta - 12/11/12 at 12:27pmpost #20864 of 2337612/11/12 at 12:28pmQuote:
Yes .. ear side,Yes bare
I got them on ebay ... said new, but who knows..
the T-20's in the other pic have mesh under the baffle.
on top of magnet.
I used the bare drivers in Stax housing which had a mesh.post #20865 of 2337612/11/12 at 12:53pmQuote:
If anything... I think misaligned holes would actually be better for evenly distributing pressure across the diaphragm. Don't quote me on that though. In a perfect world, everything should be equalized and it shouldn't matter since the diaphragm is assumed to be rigid
- Orthodynamic Roundup
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs) 14 seconds ago
- › Fiio X5 Thread - info updated on Jan 17th 2014 29 seconds ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 42 seconds ago
- › $999 Calyx M with DXD + DSD, 64GB + SD + µSD storage 1 minute ago
- › Band Name Game II 1 minute ago
- › My friend's wife yelled at me. 2 minutes ago
- › Music Game IX 4 minutes ago
- › Who else here is excited for the new Borderlands titles? 4 minutes ago
- › Mytek Manhattan : PCM/DSD DAC-Pre With Headphone AMP 6 minutes ago
- › F.S. XLO Electric speaker cables and interconnects 7 minutes ago
- › Brainwavz S5 In Ear Headphones by DannyBai
- › Bose®AE2 audio headphones by Blinxat
- › ROCK JAW ALFA GENUS by Ishcabible
- › Phiaton PS 20 Half In-Ear Premium Earphone (Glossy Black) by DrikTheTroll
- › Oppo HA-1 Integrated Headphone DAC and Amplifier. by Currawong
- › JayBird BlueBuds X Sport Bluetooth Headphones - Midnight Black by wpfloridian
- › Yamaha PRO 500 by VanCitySound
- › Creative Sound Blaster Z Series ZXR (70SB151000000) Sound Card by Nada190
- › ASUS Essence STX II by raymond555
- › iFi Nano iDSD by elmura
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 2
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (In-Ear Headphones) 3
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Gaming Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Exercise Headphones)