got any pictures of the shell? you liking the sound? congratulations on the transplant!!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMFITON TDS-15tagged by drawning126, 5/15/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- brandFostextagged by System, 12/17/10
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/13/10
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by drawning126, 5/14/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SR-40tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by yonas, 1/28/13More
- brandYamahatagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha electronics HP-3 headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-1tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-3tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha YH-1000tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on 4/16/16 at 3:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
So, I did a lot of reading when it came to this purchase, however, no amount of reviewing can objectively explain what you are actually going to hear when you plug them in - so I said 'screw it!'...
MEE Audio Pinnacle P1 – initial impressions Many thanks to @Tony-Hifi from HiFiHeadphones.co.uk for adding me to the UK tour for these earphones – the impressions below are based on the time I...
I am very glad that ONKYO released their new line of headphones into the North American market this June. I had been very curious about trying the ONKYO sound, but knowing new models were soon...
I love this little thing I really do. I bought it for myself as a present for a professional milestone. I can't tell you that it is worth almost 200 bucks, that's your call, but I don't regret the...
This review was copy pasted from the Sound Blaster X7 thread with minor edits to make it appeal to broader audience. Intro First of all, I would really like to thank Andrew Sparks, the man...
Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 1365post #20461 of 246149/13/12 at 8:58pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #20462 of 246149/14/12 at 12:19pm
Well the shell is the HP-2 shell that I had lying around after using it's driver.
Sound is not bad, I feel like the lower-midrange is a little bit higher, making the vocals and overall sound a bit warmer but stuffier... but not a bad sounding phone per say!
I saw you mention using neoprene as a spacer, and thought I'd try with whatever I had in hand... the cork sheet I had worked plenty, even with the short screws of the Yamaha's. Thanks for the spacer idea nick!
As for the driver issue I have, it's not as bad now because the baffle clamps the drivers pretty hard against the back of the cup, where the hinge is elevated. Whenever I occasionally lose the right channel, I just press against it and it's back!
Edited by kalbee - 9/14/12 at 12:21pmpost #20463 of 246149/15/12 at 10:19am
Well, the Unipolars seem to work fine out of the SU-300, no overheating or nothing; no issues came up in about 30 minutes of playing. Maybe the SU-300 simply prefers taking in regular headphones through its frontal section rather than the bottom.
Edited by vid - 9/15/12 at 10:20ampost #20464 of 246149/15/12 at 9:10pmThread Starter
The Unipolars WORK? Boy, that sure is a slap in the face to anyone who warns people against buying electret headphones. Do they sound Sennheiserisch?post #20465 of 246149/15/12 at 9:54pmQuote:The Unipolars WORK? Boy, that sure is a slap in the face to anyone who warns people against buying electret headphones.
shhhh.you forgot you read this post, you forgot you read uhhhh what .
Edited by nick n - 9/15/12 at 9:56pmpost #20466 of 246149/16/12 at 7:03am
Don't worry, they do have some channel imbalance in the bass. Nothing a few ortho modding methods couldn't mitigate, at least for now.
The sound overall is definitely something to EQ - without it, they're dominated by a bright and unnatural-sounding treble. That non-EQd response is relatively neutral between 80 and 2500 Hz or so, but the problems are beyond that: some extra brightness at 3 kHz, about 10 dB sucked out between 5 and 7 kHz, about 5 dB extra at 7-11 kHz, and the bass only extends down to about 80 Hz before slowly fading off (though it's still within 5 dB of 1 kHz at 60 Hz). The upper mids and treble aren't too hard to fix with EQ and the phones seem to take it ok-ish.
With that sort of corrective upper-end EQ, the treble is listenable, the mids are natural if a bit withdrawn - and some bass exists, in neither a negative nor positive way. Soundstage is ok, though I've not given them enough time to say too much past that. There's some amount of detail, but not massively - I think about the same as what the HP-50S does, which isn't bad. The overall sound is somewhat responsive but at the same time somewhat laid back.post #20467 of 246149/16/12 at 1:47pmpost #20468 of 246149/16/12 at 3:39pmThread StarterQuote:
Oo, right. Yeah. Electrets, they straightup without merit, man.Quote:
Glad to hear they have some promise. Still, you were brave to buy them, since they're the poster child for electret failure. The bass-only channel imbalance is probably a blown earpad or some other leak. If the mids and highs are okay, chances are the electrets are okay. Keep us posted. Any idea of when these were made?post #20469 of 246149/16/12 at 7:36pm
This specific pair, you mean? No. For some reason I have the year 1977 in my head for the Unipolar 2000. There's that review from Gramophone magazine on Google that's dated 1978, so late '70s is likely.
Our MDR30 owns (or used to own?) two pairs of Unipolar and went as far as this to find a replacement driver - I'm surprised he hasn't said anything about the sound.
Edited by vid - 9/16/12 at 7:39pmpost #20470 of 246149/17/12 at 7:07pmThread Starter
1977 should be in the safe zone for commercial electret products. Like I said, keep us up to date on these. As farz I know, they were never sold in the US.post #20471 of 246149/18/12 at 8:48amQuote:
What kind of updating did you have in mind?post #20472 of 246149/18/12 at 9:47am
Got some unusual ortho drivers for your inspection and viewing pleasure:
Any cool information on these would be very welcome.
First the headphones.
Now the guts.
The magnets in both drivers are slightly counter-rotated putting the holes out of symmetry.post #20473 of 246149/18/12 at 12:44pmThread Starterpost #20474 of 246149/18/12 at 3:12pmpost #20475 of 246149/18/12 at 3:37pmQuote:
Greq's already done securing a pair. I repeat, a pair has been secured. Feel free to splurge infos.
- Orthodynamic Roundup
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Football (Soccer) Fans Gather 18 seconds ago
- › Tidal Lossless Streaming 46 seconds ago
- › Looking for a great portable amp/dac combo 2 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 2 minutes ago
- › Cyrus SoundKey DAC? 3 minutes ago
- › Three Word Story 5 minutes ago
- › Oppo PM-3; lightly used, greatly loved 5 minutes ago
- › Ath-ad900x/ad700x vs dt770 pro 80 ohm 5 minutes ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 6 minutes ago
- › Philips Fidelio X2 by desperategraves
- › MEE audio Pinnacle P1 High Fidelity Audiophile In-Ear Headphones... by Jackpot77
- › ONKYO sealed wireless headphone Bluetooth-enabled / NFC support /... by Sonic Defender
- › AudioQuest DragonFly Red USB DAC, Preamp, Headphone Amp by selfdude
- › Sparkos Labs SS3601 Discrete Op-Amps by Yethal
- › Sennheiser HD 380 PRO Headphones by selfdude
- › Cascadia Audio Talos by keanex
- › XDuoo X3 DSD 24Bit / 192KHz CS4398 Chip Lossless Music Player by Nymphonomaniac
- › Sony MDR-1A Premium Hi-Res Stereo Headphones by fjhuerta
- › Cleer BT Bluetooth Wireless Headphone by moedawg140
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...