got any pictures of the shell? you liking the sound? congratulations on the transplant!!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMFITON TDS-15tagged by drawning126, 5/15/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- brandFostextagged by System, 12/17/10
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/13/10
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by drawning126, 5/14/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SR-40tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by yonas, 1/28/13More
- brandYamahatagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha electronics HP-3 headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-1tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-3tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha YH-1000tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on 9/30/16 at 11:51pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
Linking Mart/Agptek kindly sent me their latest Lossless Media player for review. External Features The first thing that strikes you about this player is its sheer weight and feeling of solidity...
Over the past few weeks I have tried out quite a few over-ear bluetooth headphones in a mad search for the ‘ultimate’ bluetooth headphone. I have tried the Bose QC35’s, V-Moda Crossfade Wireless...
This is a review of the Zorloo ZuperDAC DAC/amp combo. The Zorloo ZuperDAC was sendt to me for free from Zorloo in exchange for my honest review of it. I’d like to say THANK YOU to Zorloo for...
Not an audiophile, but here are my most notable impressions of these in ears: They're V-Shaped Natural, warm, accurate, true to life are not the words I'd use to describe these headphones....
Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 1365post #20461 of 246649/13/12 at 8:58pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #20462 of 246649/14/12 at 12:19pm
Well the shell is the HP-2 shell that I had lying around after using it's driver.
Sound is not bad, I feel like the lower-midrange is a little bit higher, making the vocals and overall sound a bit warmer but stuffier... but not a bad sounding phone per say!
I saw you mention using neoprene as a spacer, and thought I'd try with whatever I had in hand... the cork sheet I had worked plenty, even with the short screws of the Yamaha's. Thanks for the spacer idea nick!
As for the driver issue I have, it's not as bad now because the baffle clamps the drivers pretty hard against the back of the cup, where the hinge is elevated. Whenever I occasionally lose the right channel, I just press against it and it's back!
Edited by kalbee - 9/14/12 at 12:21pmpost #20463 of 246649/15/12 at 10:19am
Well, the Unipolars seem to work fine out of the SU-300, no overheating or nothing; no issues came up in about 30 minutes of playing. Maybe the SU-300 simply prefers taking in regular headphones through its frontal section rather than the bottom.
Edited by vid - 9/15/12 at 10:20ampost #20464 of 246649/15/12 at 9:10pmThread Starter
The Unipolars WORK? Boy, that sure is a slap in the face to anyone who warns people against buying electret headphones. Do they sound Sennheiserisch?post #20465 of 246649/15/12 at 9:54pmQuote:The Unipolars WORK? Boy, that sure is a slap in the face to anyone who warns people against buying electret headphones.
shhhh.you forgot you read this post, you forgot you read uhhhh what .
Edited by nick n - 9/15/12 at 9:56pmpost #20466 of 246649/16/12 at 7:03am
Don't worry, they do have some channel imbalance in the bass. Nothing a few ortho modding methods couldn't mitigate, at least for now.
The sound overall is definitely something to EQ - without it, they're dominated by a bright and unnatural-sounding treble. That non-EQd response is relatively neutral between 80 and 2500 Hz or so, but the problems are beyond that: some extra brightness at 3 kHz, about 10 dB sucked out between 5 and 7 kHz, about 5 dB extra at 7-11 kHz, and the bass only extends down to about 80 Hz before slowly fading off (though it's still within 5 dB of 1 kHz at 60 Hz). The upper mids and treble aren't too hard to fix with EQ and the phones seem to take it ok-ish.
With that sort of corrective upper-end EQ, the treble is listenable, the mids are natural if a bit withdrawn - and some bass exists, in neither a negative nor positive way. Soundstage is ok, though I've not given them enough time to say too much past that. There's some amount of detail, but not massively - I think about the same as what the HP-50S does, which isn't bad. The overall sound is somewhat responsive but at the same time somewhat laid back.post #20467 of 246649/16/12 at 1:47pmpost #20468 of 246649/16/12 at 3:39pmThread StarterQuote:
Oo, right. Yeah. Electrets, they straightup without merit, man.Quote:
Glad to hear they have some promise. Still, you were brave to buy them, since they're the poster child for electret failure. The bass-only channel imbalance is probably a blown earpad or some other leak. If the mids and highs are okay, chances are the electrets are okay. Keep us posted. Any idea of when these were made?post #20469 of 246649/16/12 at 7:36pm
This specific pair, you mean? No. For some reason I have the year 1977 in my head for the Unipolar 2000. There's that review from Gramophone magazine on Google that's dated 1978, so late '70s is likely.
Our MDR30 owns (or used to own?) two pairs of Unipolar and went as far as this to find a replacement driver - I'm surprised he hasn't said anything about the sound.
Edited by vid - 9/16/12 at 7:39pmpost #20470 of 246649/17/12 at 7:07pmThread Starter
1977 should be in the safe zone for commercial electret products. Like I said, keep us up to date on these. As farz I know, they were never sold in the US.post #20471 of 246649/18/12 at 8:48amQuote:
What kind of updating did you have in mind?post #20472 of 246649/18/12 at 9:47am
Got some unusual ortho drivers for your inspection and viewing pleasure:
Any cool information on these would be very welcome.
First the headphones.
Now the guts.
The magnets in both drivers are slightly counter-rotated putting the holes out of symmetry.post #20473 of 246649/18/12 at 12:44pmThread Starterpost #20474 of 246649/18/12 at 3:12pmpost #20475 of 246649/18/12 at 3:37pmQuote:
Greq's already done securing a pair. I repeat, a pair has been secured. Feel free to splurge infos.
- Orthodynamic Roundup
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Noble Audio - the Wizard returns! 57 seconds ago
- › Beyerdynamic DT-1770: Product Info, Discussion and Impressions 1 minute ago
- › Best Smartphone for audiophile 5 minutes ago
- › What Are You Listening To Right Now? -New thread, new rules. Please... 6 minutes ago
- › The Stax SR-L500 and SR-L700 Impressions Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite 6 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 7 minutes ago
- › Fostex TH-X00 7 minutes ago
- › Caffeine addicts anonymous 7 minutes ago
- › Sennheiser HD800S Unveiled! 9 minutes ago
- › AGPTek H01 HiFi MP3 Player with Volume Knob &2.4 Inch HD... by Peddler
- › V-MODA Crossfade Wireless Over-Ear Headphone - Rouge by Peddler
- › Zorloo ZuperDAC by peter123
- › HiFiMAN Megamini by micropixel
- › Sennheiser MOMENTUM In-Ear by Obery
- › FiiO X1-II High Resolution Lossless Music Player (2nd Generation)... by Delance26
- › thinksound On2 wood on-ear monitor headphone (natural black) by d8n0g
- › Bluedio T3 Plus (Turbine 3rd) Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo... by mark2410
- › Bluedio T3 (Turbine 3rd) Extra Bass Wireless Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo... by mark2410
- › Gemtune Urbanfun Hifi Dual-driver In-ear Headphones,Hybrid Balanced... by loomisjohnson
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...