got any pictures of the shell? you liking the sound? congratulations on the transplant!!
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMFITON TDS-15tagged by drawning126, 5/15/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- brandFostextagged by System, 12/17/10
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/13/10
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by drawning126, 5/14/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SR-40tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by yonas, 1/28/13More
- brandYamahatagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha electronics HP-3 headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-1tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-3tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha YH-1000tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on 8/30/15 at 4:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 8/6/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 7/28/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 8/6/15
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
I owned two PA2V2 and while it's good value amp, it had far too many flaws to my liking. Gary however provided excellent customer support throughout the whole time. Ended up with O2 and I'm...
I've done a lot of A-B comparing and the Schiit Wyrd absolutely improves my sound quality. Without it, the music sounds more distant, less expansive, less clear and also a bit softer volume. A...
Disclaimer I got this unit as part of Australia/New Zealand tour arranged by @d marc0, thank you very much for including me in this tour :) Introduction I am just another music fans in this...
These are good headphones. I would have preferred a hard carrying case for the headphones, but, when you consider the cost of these cans, the soft carrying bag is acceptable. If you really...
This review is the summary section of Yulong DA8II in-depth review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/779702/yulong-da8ii-in-depth-review Please visit the above thread for more...
Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 1365post #20461 of 241919/13/12 at 8:58pm
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #20462 of 241919/14/12 at 12:19pm
Well the shell is the HP-2 shell that I had lying around after using it's driver.
Sound is not bad, I feel like the lower-midrange is a little bit higher, making the vocals and overall sound a bit warmer but stuffier... but not a bad sounding phone per say!
I saw you mention using neoprene as a spacer, and thought I'd try with whatever I had in hand... the cork sheet I had worked plenty, even with the short screws of the Yamaha's. Thanks for the spacer idea nick!
As for the driver issue I have, it's not as bad now because the baffle clamps the drivers pretty hard against the back of the cup, where the hinge is elevated. Whenever I occasionally lose the right channel, I just press against it and it's back!
Edited by kalbee - 9/14/12 at 12:21pmpost #20463 of 241919/15/12 at 10:19am
Well, the Unipolars seem to work fine out of the SU-300, no overheating or nothing; no issues came up in about 30 minutes of playing. Maybe the SU-300 simply prefers taking in regular headphones through its frontal section rather than the bottom.
Edited by vid - 9/15/12 at 10:20ampost #20464 of 241919/15/12 at 9:10pmThread Starter
The Unipolars WORK? Boy, that sure is a slap in the face to anyone who warns people against buying electret headphones. Do they sound Sennheiserisch?post #20465 of 241919/15/12 at 9:54pmQuote:The Unipolars WORK? Boy, that sure is a slap in the face to anyone who warns people against buying electret headphones.
shhhh.you forgot you read this post, you forgot you read uhhhh what .
Edited by nick n - 9/15/12 at 9:56pmpost #20466 of 241919/16/12 at 7:03am
Don't worry, they do have some channel imbalance in the bass. Nothing a few ortho modding methods couldn't mitigate, at least for now.
The sound overall is definitely something to EQ - without it, they're dominated by a bright and unnatural-sounding treble. That non-EQd response is relatively neutral between 80 and 2500 Hz or so, but the problems are beyond that: some extra brightness at 3 kHz, about 10 dB sucked out between 5 and 7 kHz, about 5 dB extra at 7-11 kHz, and the bass only extends down to about 80 Hz before slowly fading off (though it's still within 5 dB of 1 kHz at 60 Hz). The upper mids and treble aren't too hard to fix with EQ and the phones seem to take it ok-ish.
With that sort of corrective upper-end EQ, the treble is listenable, the mids are natural if a bit withdrawn - and some bass exists, in neither a negative nor positive way. Soundstage is ok, though I've not given them enough time to say too much past that. There's some amount of detail, but not massively - I think about the same as what the HP-50S does, which isn't bad. The overall sound is somewhat responsive but at the same time somewhat laid back.post #20467 of 241919/16/12 at 1:47pmpost #20468 of 241919/16/12 at 3:39pmThread StarterQuote:
Oo, right. Yeah. Electrets, they straightup without merit, man.Quote:
Glad to hear they have some promise. Still, you were brave to buy them, since they're the poster child for electret failure. The bass-only channel imbalance is probably a blown earpad or some other leak. If the mids and highs are okay, chances are the electrets are okay. Keep us posted. Any idea of when these were made?post #20469 of 241919/16/12 at 7:36pm
This specific pair, you mean? No. For some reason I have the year 1977 in my head for the Unipolar 2000. There's that review from Gramophone magazine on Google that's dated 1978, so late '70s is likely.
Our MDR30 owns (or used to own?) two pairs of Unipolar and went as far as this to find a replacement driver - I'm surprised he hasn't said anything about the sound.
Edited by vid - 9/16/12 at 7:39pmpost #20470 of 241919/17/12 at 7:07pmThread Starter
1977 should be in the safe zone for commercial electret products. Like I said, keep us up to date on these. As farz I know, they were never sold in the US.post #20471 of 241919/18/12 at 8:48amQuote:
What kind of updating did you have in mind?post #20472 of 241919/18/12 at 9:47am
Got some unusual ortho drivers for your inspection and viewing pleasure:
Any cool information on these would be very welcome.
First the headphones.
Now the guts.
The magnets in both drivers are slightly counter-rotated putting the holes out of symmetry.post #20473 of 241919/18/12 at 12:44pmThread Starterpost #20474 of 241919/18/12 at 3:12pmpost #20475 of 241919/18/12 at 3:37pmQuote:
Greq's already done securing a pair. I repeat, a pair has been secured. Feel free to splurge infos.
- Orthodynamic Roundup
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Audio GD NOS-1704 14 seconds ago
- › NEW! SONY NW-ZX100 DAP 36 seconds ago
- › Band Name Game II 37 seconds ago
- › Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice 1 minute ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 1 minute ago
- › Hello everybody and thanks for the information i need help finding... 1 minute ago
- › USB Audio Recorder PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous... 2 minutes ago
- › REAL Beats by Dr. Dre Studio Over-Ear Sound Isolating Headphones... 2 minutes ago
- › why do some songs on my new monoprice speakers have the singing... 3 minutes ago
- › Brand Spanking New A&K AK120II and AK100II 4 minutes ago
- › Electric Avenues PA2V2 by asymcon
- › Wyrd USB Decrapifier by Mediahound
- › Noble Audio Savant by daduy
- › Shure SRH840 by Double-A
- › Yulong Audio DA8 II by earfonia
- › Aune X1S 32Bit/384KHz DSD DAC Headphone Amplifier black by avitron142
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by peter123
- › JDS Labs ODAC by YoYo JoKeR
- › Westone UM Pro10 High Performance Single Driver Noise-Isolating... by ShaftShanker
- › Sennheiser HD 650 Headphones by Pokemonn
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...
- › Table of Earphocalypse
- › The Great FiiO DAP FAQ Wiki
- › Audio Connections between components --...
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Introduction)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 2