Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Orthodynamic Roundup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 999

post #14971 of 22846
Thread Starter 

This is a trickier question than might first appear. Many claims are made for wool as a bulk absorber of audio energy (read any discussion of transmission line speakers if you don't believe me) , but in this case, porosity counts more, though absorption certainly isn't to be sniffed at. We're not using the felt the way speaker people do. We're using it as an acoustic resistance, so whether the fibers rub against one another and turn some of the audio energy into heat energy doesn't matter so much to us, though we'll take it if we can get it. So for those of you about to go shopping, try the wool felt, but if you can't get it, don't feel bad.

.


Edited by wualta - 7/18/10 at 3:01pm
post #14972 of 22846

Neato, thanks for the advice. Ive got a friend with a ton of extra green wool felt so thats good to know!

post #14973 of 22846
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaudlyDamage View Post

Question. I have a bunch of 100% wool felt, is this better or worse than a mix or poly when it comes to damping?


Generally much better, but it does depend upon the density somewhat.

post #14974 of 22846

What would be the right isodynamic?

A 80mm round driver with construction similar to Fostex Gen2 drivers, but with phase-correcting felt circles on it, not one, but a multi-layered disc, thick at edges, thinner near the center. General design probably similar to Sansui SS-100, but with different earpads - air-filled, velour-covered ones, that would be comfortable and make a good seal. The Sony Qualia seems to have great headband, so it'll go.

post #14975 of 22846

That sounds delecous!

 

what should i use to attack the felt to the back of the driver?

post #14976 of 22846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevod View Post

What would be the right isodynamic?

A 80mm round driver with construction similar to Fostex Gen2 drivers, but with phase-correcting felt circles on it, not one, but a multi-layered disc, thick at edges, thinner near the center. General design probably similar to Sansui SS-100, but with different earpads - air-filled, velour-covered ones, that would be comfortable and make a good seal. The Sony Qualia seems to have great headband, so it'll go.


Didn't the Qualias have a fragile headband? It looks great though.

post #14977 of 22846
Quote:
Originally Posted by ujamerstand View Post

Ack! Yamaha HP-3 sold for 12 dollars?! NNNNNOOOOOOO :(


shipping was $20 for those, so don't feel too bad?

post #14978 of 22846
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcpoor View Post


shipping was $20 for those, so don't feel too bad?


It would've been a bargain either way. Congrats on whoever won it. (I hope you get the bass light version)

post #14979 of 22846

This monster thread has almost reached 1000 pages of rambling about felt.

post #14980 of 22846
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeEast View Post

This monster thread has almost reached 1000 pages of rambling about felt.


Not that there is anything wrong with that...

post #14981 of 22846
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeEast View Post

This monster thread has almost reached 1000 pages of rambling about felt.

HORRAY!
birthday-cake.jpg

post #14982 of 22846

insert Beuys joke here

post #14983 of 22846

This thread deserves a special tag. Let's call it "Head-fi's longest thread w/ real content" (Yeah, the stax threads don't count. They've been broken up!)

post #14984 of 22846
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeEast View Post

This monster thread has almost reached 1000 pages of rambling about felt.


also foams, sponges & tapes...........

 

& yet nothing has damped this thread.

post #14985 of 22846

Still need to know what to use to attach my felt : (

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Orthodynamic Roundup