Yep, most likely a 414. If he says the HP-1 was better sounding, he passes the Ortho Bruderbund Test and can come into the clubhouse.
Recent Images In This Thread
- productAMFITON TDS-15tagged by drawning126, 5/15/13
- productAudeze LCD2 Planar Magnetic Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- brandFostextagged by System, 12/17/10
- productFostex T50RP Closed Ear Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 12/17/10
- categoryHeadphonestagged by System, 7/13/10
- productMrSpeakers Mad Dog (T50RP Mod)tagged by drawning126, 5/14/13
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productSennheiser HD 800 Headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SR-40tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productStax SRM-1/MK2tagged by yonas, 1/28/13More
- brandYamahatagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha electronics HP-3 headphonestagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-1tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha HP-3tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
- productYamaha Stereo Headphonestagged by System, 6/14/10
- productYamaha YH-1000tagged by yonas, 1/28/13
Related Forum Threads
- Headphones sensitivity, impedance, required V/I/P, amplifier gain Last post on 1/25/15 at 9:06am in Sound Science
- Battle Of The Flagships (58 Headphones Compared) Last post on 4/16/16 at 3:33pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for over-ear headphones. Any advice? Last post on 9/27/12 at 12:58am in Headphones (full-size)
- Virgin - Needs Advice - Never had a Headphone Last post on 2/8/13 at 9:43am in Headphones (full-size)
- University Cans - $450 Last post on 9/24/12 at 3:35am in Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones)
Last edited: 1/18/16
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))Last edited: 12/4/15
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Over-Ear Headphones) 3Last edited: 1/18/16
- Comparisons of LCD-2 Rev. 1 and Rev. 2Last edited: 9/19/11
- Headphone ImpedanceLast edited: 8/18/12
As part of the OPPO PM3 loaner program I had a chance to evaluate the PM3's for a few days. Overall, I was very impressed with the packaging, build quality and finish. The brushed aluminum is...
COMPANY: Sennheiser MODEL: HD598 COST: $299 CAD - $250 USD – Note: often on sale for much less TYPE: Open, Dynamic, Over-Ear DRIVER SIZE: 40mm neodynium FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 12 Hz – 38.5...
For larger views of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTION I've been working with Trinity (Trinity Audio Engineering) for almost a couple of years now. I don't...
It was raining, and I mean really raining. This was a problem as I really wanted to listen Radiohead's new album ( A Moon Shaped Pool) on my always seemingly endless commute to work. The first part...
Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 997post #14941 of 245447/13/10 at 8:06amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #14942 of 245447/13/10 at 8:11am
The original 414 had blue or charcoal ear pads and was a light grey injection molded plastic. It was a revelation in its day.post #14943 of 245447/13/10 at 11:12am
Hey, so here's a tweak for the Realistic Pro 30, and probably the Audio Technica ATH-2 as well: take a pair of the Sony MDR V500 or V700 pads, and just mount them on the pads already there. It ends up with a spacious sound, with good bass. It's not quite the rumbling bass of my (underdamped) SFIphones, but it's about as good as it is with the stock pads.
Although the pads have a narrow inner aperture, and are quite uncomfortable on the Sony phones, the fluffiness from the combined pads is enough to let your ears squish into them, like they do with the undersized-but-super-comfortable pads on the the Denon D1001/Creative aurvana live.
You can buy them from ebay for $6 shipped to the US. Here's a pic with the dust cover cut out --it's really irritating to the ear.post #14944 of 245447/13/10 at 12:22pm
As you guys already know, the Fostex T50RP are very pad dependent. Is there any modification that could be done on the stock pads to help them seal better? Some type of surface treatment? Tensioning the headband can go only so far.
I'm not ready to spring for O2 pads, so I'm hoping to max out what I presently have. The bass is frustratingly extended and punchy when I press the cups inward with my hands, because it vanishes with hands removed.post #14945 of 245447/13/10 at 12:27pmpost #14946 of 245447/13/10 at 12:40pmpost #14947 of 245447/13/10 at 1:06pmpost #14948 of 245447/13/10 at 1:24pmpost #14949 of 245447/13/10 at 1:24pmpost #14950 of 245447/13/10 at 1:40pm
I remember you put PVC pipes on to your T50rp, right? Did you do anything else? tried plugging the bass port on the baffle? Like Sambones suggested, try line the insides with something to prevent bass loss.post #14951 of 245447/13/10 at 5:00pm
Hi, folks, I've been here very looong time ago.
Why I cannot see any rumours about TDS?
OK, I'll fill the gap.
USSR basic orthodynamic headphones:
From left to right:
TDS 5M (Saratov)
TDS 7 (Kishinev)
TDS 15 (black version)
TDS 16 Echo (Kiev)
TDS 16 Echo (Smela)
That's five basic soviet orthos.post #14952 of 245447/13/10 at 5:03pmpost #14953 of 245447/13/10 at 5:04pmpost #14954 of 245447/13/10 at 5:59pm
How they sound?
TDS 5M supposed to be soviet analog of Yamaha HP-1. I did not take direct comparison. I like these cans more when listening some of 80s stuff - punk, new wave, pop. They have enough drive for such music, a little hump in upper bass, timed with extra dampening. Lots of owners prefer to brighten the TDS 5M signature by changing stock cable to some new one. But I am very sensitive to exaggerated highs, and if possible, I'm avoiding to change stock cables.
TDS 7 have one of the widest soundstage of all orthos, comparable with many high-level dynamic headphones. They have the finest sound of all TDS, classical and jazz lovers very like these headphones. But I don't, TDS 7 sound weird for me, very wide soundstage and almost none of the depth, some kind of "sound in the head". Hi-End headphones, speakers, amps etc. must have deep soundstage first of all.
Pressure on the head is very strong.
TDS 15 sound simple, without long decay as TDS 7, but have bass amount that I like. They aren't quick headphones. I prefer TDS 15 for heavy metal listening of different kind: soviet, japanese and other.
TDS 16 (made in Kiev).
More or less balanced cans, good sounding headphones but just good ones. If you listened other vintage orthos, TDS 16 Echo (Kiev) have any surprise for you.
TDS 16 (made in Smela).
They differ from TDS 16 manufactured in Kiev. The same drivers but different housing and cable. Pads from the cheap fake leather gave fantastic results for sound. These cans I'll never part with. They have the quickest attack, comparable with stats, excellent upper bass slam, exceptional transparency in mids. Forget about Grados, these ones are excellent choice for any brutal music, best choice for death-metal listening, extremely good for blues, any guitar music, where the light speed attack is important. Highs are rough and dirty.
Pressure on the head is very strong. Have long burn-in period for every listening session. Very inconvinient headphones for long listening.
In whole, soviet orthos are musical, have warm sound signature, accented mids, not the finest sound. Most of soviet headphones have hard pressure on the head.
Comparing to other orthos.
Japanese orthos like Fostex and Yamaha sound colder than soviet ones. I'd say, japanese sound is neutral and more refined than soviet one. Precise and mechanical sound vs. rough and life-like one. Of course, most of japanese and german orthos are much more convinient.
If I want to listen finest orthos, with nice long decay, I still prefer german cans as Dual DK 330\720.
- Orthodynamic Roundup
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Head-Fi Buying Guide (Ultra-High-End Headphones (Summit-Fi))
- › Over-the-ear Headphone for trance for price under 7000 INR (approx... 41 seconds ago
- › Venture Electronics (VE) Monk & Monk Plus: a $5 earbud that taking... 1 minute ago
- › Agressive V shaped headphones. 3 minutes ago
- › Official FiiO X1 beta firmware download and discussion... 3 minutes ago
- › Shure SE846 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Shanling M2 DAP 4 minutes ago
- › World First! Massdrop x HiFIMAN Collaboration Announcement 4 minutes ago
- › Official HIFIMAN HE1000 Impressions Thread 4 minutes ago
- › Forza AudioWorks Impressions Thread 5 minutes ago
- › SONY NW-ZX2 HI-END DAP 6 minutes ago
- › T-PEOS RASIEL by faithguy19
- › OPPO PM-3 by T Bone
- › Sennheiser HD 598 by TravAndAlex
- › Trinity Delta V2 - Dual Hybrid IEM by Brooko
- › Sennheiser CX 5.00G Black In-Ear Canal Headset by Slaphead
- › Audio-Technica ATH CKR9 LTD by AzimAkbar
- › Sony XBA-Z5 Ultimate Hi-Res In Ear Headphone by Dsnuts
- › AAW A3H Pro Custom In-Ear Monitor by tz0531
- › FiiO EM3 Open Earbud Earphones with In-Line Microphone (Black) by Zelda
- › Aurisonics Rockets Solo Precision Micro-Dynamic Noise Isolating... by Voyageur
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear
- › All about iPod Touch 6G as digital transport
- › List of major HiFiMan HE1000 reviews,...
- › Can I change my user name? Can I delete my...