Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Orthodynamic Roundup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 994

post #14896 of 23474

I teach movie review writing in my media classes in high school, and spent about 7 years as a published film critic.  I always teach against what I call the Rocks/sucks dichotomy.  There's a tendency for people to either say "These headphones rock!" or "These headphones suck!", but that doesn't actually help anyone with anything, except to give yourself a fuzzy feeling of having expressed an opinion.  That's why places like IMDB and Amazon ratings are such a massive waste of time.

 

Getting off topic, though.

 

The T50RP are definitely not the best headphones I own.  They sit well behind both the DT150 and DT990 in terms of overall sonic experience.  Only by a BIT, though, which is the amazing thing.  If they cost $200-250, I'd say they were a decent investment that could be bettered by heading to other brands.  There really isn't anything in the $100 range that competes as a neutral studio headphone, though--not even close.

 

This is the huge challenge with headphones, though, as I see it.  There are a set of established brands, that all make excellent headphones through a range of quality levels:

 

  • Sennheiser
  • AKG
  • Audio-Technica
  • Ultrasone
  • Grado
  • Beyerdynamic
  • and increasingly... Shure

 

Those companies are relatively safe bets.  Lots of people have tried them, models from those companies crop up every time a thread is started on anything, and when you buy one you have a pretty good sense of what you're getting.

 

There are a number of fringe companies that seem to make equally great headphones, but that haven't developed that kind of reputation and recognition.  I have tried a few of these because that's the kind of person I am (and others who post in this thread probably are as well:

 

  • German Maestro/MB Quart
  • DBI Pro
  • Fostex
  • Audeze
  • Phiaton
  • Fischer Audio (at least they will once the initial hype wears off)

and there are others, I know.

 

Some great deals to be had in this category, but when we recommend them, they don't carry as much weight because they are not familiar.  If a thread starts, and the recommendations are the Audio-Technica M50, the Shure SRH-440 and the Fostex T50RP, One of the first two will almost always win out, even though I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say the T50RP is a significantly better investment.

 

It's the same reason that so many people are proud to own a Bose home theatre surround sound system, even though you could have a vastly superior setup for cheaper (Paradigm, Axiom Audio, Mission, etc.).  Nobody has heard of the other brands, and people aren't willing to take the risk or escape the comfort of the big box stores.

 

And so, after that roundabout journey, I do think that the T50RP has the potential to be that ortho that gets people started down that road, but I'm pretty skeptical about that happening.  It simply takes too long for something different that got initial bad press to get any kind of community traction.

post #14897 of 23474


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpearce View Post


Some great deals to be had in this category, but when we recommend them, they don't carry as much weight because they are not familiar.  If a thread starts, and the recommendations are the Audio-Technica M50, the Shure SRH-440 and the Fostex T50RP, One of the first two will almost always win out, even though I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say the T50RP is a significantly better investment.


Its sad but true. I have already tried this & the buyer, a new entrant to headphone world, went with the better known company model.

post #14898 of 23474

 

 

Quote:
  • German Maestro/MB Quart
  • DBI Pro
  • Fostex
  • Audeze
  • Phiaton
  • Fischer Audio (at least they will once the initial hype wears off)

and there are others, I know.

 

I second to Joel's finding for he himself owns a German Maestro headphones and from observation and much study they're are to reckon with AKG's and probably better, funny though their not given much attention probably because of the market or the people involved not really bothered about it, same goes for Phiaton 

post #14899 of 23474

Odd isn't it, I've been in a lot of studios and at least 2 still were using the venerable T20v2.  Fostex is still a very common name in studios now-a-days, but to the everyday consumer, bigger companies (at least in terms of marketing) are generally thought to be the "best".  DBI headphones are some of the single biggest selling models ever actually (the 705 sounds like poo, but the 700 is a wonderful headphone).

post #14900 of 23474

I see that there's also a different problem with T50RP - they are relatively cheap, and often approached and reviewed by the "boom-tiss" people, who won't like the planar sound, and who are, sadly, prevalent. As such, the phones get many negative reviews and most potential listeners are repelled.

post #14901 of 23474
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpearce View Post
...I do think that the T50RP has the potential to be that ortho that gets people started down that road, but I'm pretty skeptical about that happening.


I'm skeptical too, but mostly 'cause they ugly. Big and ugly can imply big bass (eg, the DBI 750) and even with the new pads, the T50RP will disappoint those folks who "read" large black cups that way. Most people will want a small, lightweight headphone anyway. If Fostex can convince a famous maker like A-T or Denon to order a pilot batch of 1,000 stylish OEM 'phones based around the T50RP driver....

 

Oh, and they should have an eighth-inch plug. The quarter-inch plug on the T50RP just tells folks with consumer gear to back off.

.


Edited by wualta - 7/4/10 at 9:10pm
post #14902 of 23474

just farting around on the new threads forum and saw someone asking what these were... and my mind said.. hey, these might be cool shells for a modded can.. just an FYI in case anyone agrees...

 

http://www.hisforhome.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=1955

 

 

3241664192_4279b21cb0.jpg

post #14903 of 23474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Br777 View Post

just farting around on the new threads forum and saw someone asking what these were... and my mind said.. hey, these might be cool shells for a modded can.. just an FYI in case anyone agrees...

 

 


But pretty expensive...  also, is that casing made of plastic or metal?  It looks like thin metal, which can't be the best material for headphone cups...

post #14904 of 23474

Yeah, I think you can find much cheaper fosterphones that will still look even better. The JVC HA-S700, for instance.

post #14905 of 23474

Wow but it looks like plastic to me just i just remember i saw something like that not long ago.

post #14906 of 23474

So my fake ESW10JPNs came in. $50 for 2 pairs. The cups are actual wood, but balsa wood or something of the sort. Still have to make my purpleheart cups. Speaking of that, the hole saw I bought is too small for them. I'll post pics later. The SFI drivers are almost a perfect fit. And they are pretty sturdy. The screws are crap though. I managed to wear some down with no effort at all. Off to the local Home Depot... One of them just wouldn't come off too. It's just a hole now and I can't get it out.


Edited by Ishcabible - 7/6/10 at 11:18am
post #14907 of 23474

lol I thought they only did fake ESW9's. 

post #14908 of 23474

 


^Nope, they've got the whole lineup. Sometimes describing a single item with 2 different model names to get more hits. :s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishcabible View Post

So my fake ESW10JPNs came in. $50 for 2 pairs. The cups are actual wood, but balsa wood or something of the sort. Still have to make my purpleheart cups. Speaking of that, the hole saw I bought is too small for them. I'll post pics later. The SFI drivers are almost a perfect fit. And they are pretty sturdy. The screws are crap though. I managed to wear some down with no effort at all. Off to the local Home Depot... One of them just wouldn't come off too. It's just a hole now and I can't get it out.


You might wanna try using a magnet (or one of those magnetized screw driver) to fish that screw out. Anyways, show us some pictures! 

post #14909 of 23474

^^^ The screwdriver was magnatized. The screws are just really soft. Meh it was just for a cosmetic thing, no big deal.

 

And your wish is my command. I used my phone though.

 

IMAG0119.jpg

IMAG0122.jpg

IMAG0123.jpg

Yeah that's right.

IMAG0126.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

Need more pictures? Just ask.

post #14910 of 23474

Oh, and I was at Ikea last weekend and found some drawer felt mat (Inreda) for $2 for about a yard. It seems to share some of the same properties as Superfelt. I could be totally off base though. It's pretty thick though.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Orthodynamic Roundup