Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Orthodynamic Roundup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 808

post #12106 of 23553
Quote:
Originally Posted by iQEM View Post
too bad there's no right tool to do that right now..
wish me luck guys,i must recondition an HP50A, YH100&a pair of DR11..
That's a whole ortho hospital you got there! I hope all your patients will get well in your good care!
post #12107 of 23553
Quote:
Originally Posted by wualta View Post
<snip>

It's worth repeating that the only headphone Fostex aimed at the audiophile market was the 1978 NA-market T50. All the rest are meant strictly as pro audio tools. You're not supposed to be using them, you're not supposed to know about them, and you're not supposed to expect them to sound as good as it turns out they can sound. Any goodness we get from them is over the fence and under the table.

Does that help at all?
Yes, that helps a lot. The reason I asked about the YH-3 is because I already have a pair. I transplanted the drivers into a pair of HD485s (there's a picture back about 20 pages). I think I did pretty well in the YH-3 lottery. They've got soul, and the response is pretty flat from 50hz up. The bottom octave isn't really there though.

I'm fine with modding, so I may take the suggestions aimed towards that. But I'm still pretty confused about which changes yield which results. My YH-3 mod was kinda like "shoot in the dark. Turn on the lights, see what I hit. Turn off the lights, shoot again. Turn on the lights, see what I hit."
post #12108 of 23553
Did they lack of bass in the original cups? The HD485 is a pretty big cup. That could hurt the bass. Also the fabric pads probably don't seal out the back wave very well.
post #12109 of 23553
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefectiveAudioComponent View Post
That's a whole ortho hospital you got there! I hope all your patients will get well in your good care!
LOL

yup DAC,just imagine an ortho small hospital without a surgeon and capable tools to do the vital surgery..
i think i must refer em to bigger hospital that able to do surgery with more pro doctor cos' the family/relative of that patients have waited too long..
post #12110 of 23553
Quote:
Originally Posted by scompton View Post
Did they lack of bass in the original cups? The HD485 is a pretty big cup. That could hurt the bass. Also the fabric pads probably don't seal out the back wave very well.
In the original cups they had bass, though probably still not much in the bottom octave. And they had weird reflections and resonance, which is why I decided after much damping to try the transplant.

I shrunk the 485 enclosure with Blue Tak ( about two packages ). I also put a ring of it around underneath the ear pads, to try to seal them and also to try to space the drivers from my ears.

They overdamp easily though. I have to use more of a donut damping, because if I block any of the air from the back of the drivers, they get tinny and constricted.

When I was at RMAF, I let the designer of the LCD2's listen to them at the Audeze booth. His diagnosis was that the fabric ear pads were probably my biggest problem. That's what led me to try the ring of blue tak.

They don't suck. Like I said, they have soul. Vocals sound more tangible on them than possibly any headphone I've heard. And they have bass, just not LOW bass.

Any suggestions? Should I try something else for ear pad mods? Different damping? (I realize giving enough information to solicit help is diffficult.)

Thanks...
post #12111 of 23553
OK, so I finished most of my Honey-Do chores and my son was down for nap while the girls were out shopping. Purdue upset OSU. Ah, life is good. So I head to the office of doom to swap the Denon pads onto the RP18s

Guess what? They fit perfectly! But, now I'll show my ignorance. I'm assuming the thick part goes to the front correct? At least that's how they are most comfortable to wear and the sound stage improved a little over the other way around. But the best news is, they're a hair over damped now and the highs are just a little off. The magic of the pads wows the crowd again!

I know I can reduce the diameter of the felt on the back to open them up the stage a bit more, then remove a cotton ball and change the density of the reflex felt dot and I'll have a wide, open soundstage; deep, full bass, and the mids and highs where they should be. And that's on the stock cable so I'm a little gun shy about messing with success in order to try my SPC cable and will let cetoole recable with Mogami if he decides to keep them. If they come back to me, I'll try Mogami and my 8-wire Alpha SPC. But for his upcoming mini-meet, I'm leaving them alone.

EDIT: MPI, any chance you can haul your beastly CR-620 over to Colin's for the meet? Anyone attending have a Sony 595 or the C2000ES SACD players too? The RP18 just rises up so phenomenally well with an actual SACD on the CR-620 it's crazy. Only can that has come close in improving that much was my K401s, but their sound stage goes a little too wide to be believable on my disc.

EDIT2: Had my wife begrudgingly listen to the RP18s with Madonna's Immaculate Collection as the test disc. Thick part to the front. Started to reach for them and she motioned for me to stop. She flipped through 4 or 5 tracks before taking them off when I told her it was time for dinner. She said they were the most comfortable pair yet and she heard details in the album she has never heard before (and I make her listen to the same tracks every time so they are very familiar to both of us). She said they were her favorite cans she's heard yet, but she pointed to the T10s, asked if those were my precious one that I fixed, and said she wanted to listen to "those" later just to hear them with both drivers working. She said the NADs sounded great though and asked if they sounded like "others" did before I tuned them. I said they sounded worse, all bass and no mids or highs. She said she would like to listen to them again with her music before I ship them out. That was a first.
post #12112 of 23553
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan View Post
EDIT: MPI, any chance you can haul your beastly CR-620 over to Colin's for the meet? Anyone attending have a Sony 595 or the C2000ES SACD players too? The RP18 just rises up so phenomenally well with an actual SACD on the CR-620 it's crazy. Only can that has come close in improving that much was my K401s, but their sound stage goes a little too wide to be believable on my disc.
I was already planning on bringing the CR-620 and do in fact have a 595 and a couple of classical SACDs... and Thriller. Colin might not be so into those. I think I can manage to bring the 595 along, if both can fit. A 5 disc CD changer isn't exactly small and the CR-620 is... well, what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF
She said she would like to listen to them again with her music before I ship them out. That was a first.
Glad she's finally digging the audio hobby. Everyone's into good audio at heart; you just have to coax it out of some people more than others.
post #12113 of 23553
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypasswordis View Post
I was already planning on bringing the CR-620 and do in fact have a 595 and a couple of classical SACDs... and Thriller. Colin might not be so into those. I think I can manage to bring the 595 along, if both can fit. A 5 disc CD changer isn't exactly small and the CR-620 is... well, what it is.



Glad she's finally digging the audio hobby. Everyone's into good audio at heart; you just have to coax it out of some people more than others.
Sweet! Thriller on SACD would be awesome.

She's more tolerant and curious than getting into it. She did commandeer a pair of my KSC-75s for her iPod though. She now refers to them as her headphones, that is, she asks if my set are her headphones whenever she sees them on my desk.

EDIT: Just found this: http://www.amazon.com/Brothers-Arms-...839089&sr=1-10
One of my favorite albums on vinyl in SACD...
post #12114 of 23553
Go ahead and give the KSC75 to her; the more she listens to good sound, the harder it will be for her to stop. It'll be her gateway drug, like it has been for many a Head-Fi'er. I'm one of them.
post #12115 of 23553
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypasswordis View Post
Go ahead and give the KSC75 to her; the more she listens to good sound, the harder it will be for her to stop. It'll be her gateway drug, like it has been for many a Head-Fi'er. I'm one of them.
Oh, she already has them. I opened a second set. She keeps thinking my set are hers.
post #12116 of 23553
Quote:
Originally Posted by barleyguy View Post
They don't suck. Like I said, they have soul. Vocals sound more tangible on them than possibly any headphone I've heard. And they have bass, just not LOW bass.
sorry to ask,cos i didn't know sennheiser too much..actually i dislike how they sound,thats why i ignore em..lol
the earpads, is it oval or round? and is it wide inner hole or small? even if its using fabric pads i'm sure its gonna do low bass if you had the right seal on the cup+baffle..have you try lining the plastic cup+baffle with rubber tape or dynamat ? too many blutak would tame the whole bass (incl.low notes),my past experience from blutak mod on K518dj..just take some trial&error again on sealing&damping schemes before you try another material earpads..
post #12117 of 23553
That's funny. The fact that she's showing more interest means it won't be long before she's a full-blown audiophile... all in due time.

I haven't listened to my KSC75 in so long, I have no idea where it is anymore. Most of the little plastic pins that hold the earpads in place broke off from heavy duty portable use so I might as well buy a new pair, if I ever feel like being nostalgic. The ear clips weren't ever that comfortable, though.
post #12118 of 23553
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan View Post
EDIT2: Had my wife begrudgingly listen to the RP18s with Madonna's Immaculate Collection as the test disc. Thick part to the front. Started to reach for them and she motioned for me to stop. She flipped through 4 or 5 tracks before taking them off when I told her it was time for dinner. She said they were the most comfortable pair yet and she heard details in the album she has never heard before (and I make her listen to the same tracks every time so they are very familiar to both of us). She said they were her favorite cans she's heard yet, but she pointed to the T10s, asked if those were my precious one that I fixed, and said she wanted to listen to "those" later just to hear them with both drivers working. She said the NADs sounded great though and asked if they sounded like "others" did before I tuned them. I said they sounded worse, all bass and no mids or highs. She said she would like to listen to them again with her music before I ship them out. That was a first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan View Post
Sweet! Thriller on SACD would be awesome.

She's more tolerant and curious than getting into it. She did commandeer a pair of my KSC-75s for her iPod though. She now refers to them as her headphones, that is, she asks if my set are her headphones whenever she sees them on my desk.

EDIT: Just found this: Amazon.com: Brothers in Arms: Dire Straits: Music
One of my favorite albums on vinyl in SACD...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilermakerFan View Post
Oh, she already has them. I opened a second set. She keeps thinking my set are hers.
exactly just like me, BMF...
my wife's maybe just like your wife, she prefer my headphone than her headphone/earphone...
ortho rock...

my son STILL dont have own setup yet, but he always enjoy all of my headphones with my portable setup too...
offcourse listening to his songs (that kept on my ipod library), like alvin & the chipmunk ost...

post #12119 of 23553
guys, remember i had ask something about suspected cans ? i know i ask several cans, but it seem one of em are an ortho...
so, which one it is ? Victor HP D90...here it is:
http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/VICTOR/HP-D90.html


i say this refer to this one:
http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/yamaha/oruso.html

i hope i dont get it wrong though...

and i suspect there's more from other HP-D series...it's says Orusodainamikku also called as Dainafuratto/Furattodainamikku/flat drive/Purendoraibu...
http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/VICTOR/HP-D30.html
refer to this pict:
post #12120 of 23553
Quote:
Originally Posted by iQEM View Post
guys, remember i had ask something about suspected cans ? i know i ask several cans, but it seem one of em are an ortho...
so, which one it is ? Victor HP D90...here it is:
HP-D90


i say this refer to this one:
ƒIƒ‹ƒ\ƒ_ƒCƒiƒ~ƒbƒN

i hope i dont get it wrong though...

and i suspect there's more from other HP-D series...it's says Orusodainamikku also called as Dainafuratto/Furattodainamikku/flat drive/Purendoraibu...
Is there something wrong in the Wikiphonia list of Victor orthos? Other orthodynamic headphones - Wikiphonia
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Orthodynamic Roundup