Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Orthodynamic Roundup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 78

post #1156 of 23696
One on each side.

I'm sorry to say that this headphone really isn't in as good a condition as the pictures on eBay lead you to think. The grilles have many patches of scuffed paint, the headband has lost any elastic it may have had and the earpads are very very soft and the glue that holds them on is pretty dead. The cord is also a little frayed at the 2mm plug ends and there is no way to tell from looking at those 2mm sockets which is for left and which for right, although the headphone itself does have the inputs marked.

I'd take a bunch of pictures, but the camera is el busted.

Fortuitously though I'm not hearing any channel imbalances or distortion from the drivers. The sound is also radically and completely different from my previous Yamaha orthos, those were fun and bouncy and bass heavy, these are much more in common with the Ergo AMT sound flavour, a serious headphone for serious cats.
post #1157 of 23696
That's interesting. The cable entry on the QP85 is on the left side, and the wires to the right-side driver run through the strap.

I could do a single-entry modification to this beast if i felt like pushing wire through the headstrap, then. more likely, pushing a thin metal rod though, and using that to pull wires.
post #1158 of 23696
Yep, my old PMB100 had a micro jack on either side for the cable to connect in. Note that later or dynamic versions of the MB float design switched to different methods, including fixed single and dual entry (in the former case, routing the wires to the other side through the headband). Jade's PMB100 was earlier than mine as is shown by the non-fixed headband-- later ones went to a semi-fixed positioning, the headband connected to a plastic anchor screwed to one of the baffle holes, adjustable only by taking the earpiece apart and moving the anchor from one hole to another.
post #1159 of 23696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggeh View Post
I'm sorry to say that this headphone really isn't in as good a condition as the pictures on eBay lead you to think. The grilles have many patches of scuffed paint, the headband has lost any elastic it may have had and the earpads are very very soft and the glue that holds them on is pretty dead.
Headband is probably easily sorted. I'll have to get new earpads (headbumps?) from MB-Quart. I've still got an email about how to get them here somewhere.

That's unfortunate about the grilles. Maybe I'll have to chemically strip 'em and give them a new paint job. Unless they're aluminum, in which case, i'm not sure they can be chemically stripped. Not in a fun, caustic way at least.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggeh
The cord is also a little frayed at the 2mm plug ends and there is no way to tell from looking at those 2mm sockets which is for left and which for right, although the headphone itself does have the inputs marked.
Yeah, I'm used to reterminating cables on old 'phones. These just have more points to reterminate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggeh
Fortuitously though I'm not hearing any channel imbalances or distortion from the drivers. The sound is also radically and completely different from my previous Yamaha orthos, those were fun and bouncy and bass heavy, these are much more in common with the Ergo AMT sound flavour, a serious headphone for serious cats.
It's too bad you don't have some more variety of orthos to compare them to.

Since you're in the EU it should be very easy for you to get a hold of a HOK80-2, for example. They often go for 10 euros or less. They are bass-lite, in a very german way. Not an all-'rounder, but i like them for some things.

There's no printing on a HOK80 whether it's the original or the -2, but the -2 has six holes in the head strap where the original has 8. There's a -2 in good condition for sale on ebay.de right now, but the seller says he only ships to germany.

Surprisingly, the HOK is the picture of durability. Built like a panzer tank. Aside from the accursed baffle clips.
post #1160 of 23696
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj View Post
Surprisingly, the HOK is the picture of durability. Built like a panzer tank. Aside from the accursed baffle clips.
and the earpads. Alas, in replacing the earpads you're very likely to break a baffle clip or two. We've been using HD25 pads, but I think K81dj pads would work better.
post #1161 of 23696
Quote:
Originally Posted by facelvega View Post
and the earpads. Alas, in replacing the earpads you're very likely to break a baffle clip or two. We've been using HD25 pads, but I think K81dj pads would work better.
I agree that HD25 pads are less than optimal. Comfort, but they decrease the bass.

How thick are the K81dj pads? I'm using MDR-V150 pads.

fwiw you should be able to peel the pads off without removing the baffle.
post #1162 of 23696
Thread Starter 
Mistah Duggeh, try the PMBs on both ways and report on differences. Did that one come with a nice little instruction sheet showing the preferred wearment?

Way to tell an HOK-80 from an HOK-80-2. Older on the left, newer on the right.



Ericj, that aluminum looks like just the thing if it's not too bendy across a 2-inch diameter.

.
post #1163 of 23696
Quote:
Originally Posted by wualta View Post

Way to tell an HOK-80 from an HOK-80-2. Older on the left, newer on the right.

Ahh. Hard to see that in the average east-german ebay listing, though.

My HOK was listead as HOK80 without the -2, the picture was tiny but the headband was the giveaway.

Quote:
Ericj, that aluminum looks like just the thing if it's not too bendy across a 2-inch diameter.
Yup. At two inches it'll be fine for holding in foam for sure.

I bet you can buy the stuff from mcmaster, but i bet they overcharge for it.
post #1164 of 23696
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj View Post
Ahh. Hard to see that in the average east-german ebay listing, though.
[Goes and looks. Eyes fall out of head, which explodes. Ears fall off for good measure]
You're right. It's too dark and small and SovFotoey to see!

post #1165 of 23696
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj View Post
I agree that HD25 pads are less than optimal. Comfort, but they decrease the bass.

How thick are the K81dj pads? I'm using MDR-V150 pads.

fwiw you should be able to peel the pads off without removing the baffle.
You can definitely get the old pads off no problem, it's getting the new ones on that causes trouble.

The K81 seem a little thinner and firmer than the HD25 pads; didn't compare them to the v150. The sony pads seem kind of flimsy, but I guess would work.
post #1166 of 23696
Quote:
Originally Posted by facelvega View Post
The K81 seem a little thinner and firmer than the HD25 pads; didn't compare them to the v150. The sony pads seem kind of flimsy, but I guess would work.
Yeah. I hate Sony pleather. Makes my ears sweat. I wonder if the K81dj pads are significantly better made. I have to draw a line between actual vinyl pads and this vinyl-coated fabric that yamaha and sony and koss and countless other companies use in cheap earpads.

For the record, v100/150/200/300 have the exact same pads. I am embarrased to say that each of these models has existed in my house - but in the form of "here's a giant box of several broken headphones". Mostly got fosterfones out of it, and a new cord for my HOK.
post #1167 of 23696

inquiry about the Fostex T40 (old model)

Greetings orthomaniacs,

I've been pestering swt61 about the fit of the old Fostex T40 and, seeing that I'm still undecided, I thought I might as well pester you all before pulling the trigger. I once bought a headphone that turned out to be too small so I'm a bit suspicious of unknown form factors that aren't obviously extra-large.
I've got a large head and I just measured my ears: they seem to be a touch smaller than 2 inches and a half top to bottom. According to to swt61's measurements, the cups are deep enough so that shouldn't be an issue. For reference, my ears barely fit into Beyers (thankfully the pads are comfortable enough to the touch that it's not a problem).
If anyone else has had experience with this model, please speak up.
post #1168 of 23696
The T40 isn't circumaural in the sense that beyers are.

If you don't like headphones that touch your ears, fostexen are not for you.

The T40 has a large concave supraaural earpad that completely envelops your ear. Kinda like a big suction cup.

Edit: By the way, You're All Nuts!
post #1169 of 23696
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj View Post
The T40 isn't circumaural in the sense that beyers are.
Eigh? I don't have Beyers, but isn't the T40 circum enough to join the club? It's not supra-aural, that's for sure. Maybe some photos would help.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj View Post
The T40 has a large concave supraaural earpad that completely envelops your ear. Kinda like a big suction cup.
Aha. Aren't you thinking of the T20v2? The Sta-Puft 'phone?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj
Edit: By the way, You're All Nuts!
Yeah, that's a little pricey for a 'phone that might have internal foam rot problems.

.
post #1170 of 23696
While the T40 Pad is a bit narrower than some circumaural, I would definitely classify it as a circumaural.



Sorry for the blurry pic.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Orthodynamic Roundup