Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Orthodynamic Roundup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 77

post #1141 of 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj View Post
I spent this evening cleaning and rebuilding the filthiest, grimiest headphones I've ever even seen - which happen to be k240 sextetts.
I had an evening of the same thing once with exactly the same kind of headphones-- mine arrived so filthy that they'd seeped oil stains onto the tissue paper used to pack them. They smelled like an ashtray, their grilles were visibly filled with hair grease, and the space under their earpads looked like the crease between the seat cushions of an '88 subaru, down to the odd peanut nib. In retrospect, I should have just sent them back, but I'd won them for around seventeen bucks, so I swallowed my pride and set myself to disassembly and cleaning. Never again.
post #1142 of 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by wualta View Post
Welcome to the nichiest of headphone niches. Interesting you should mention the headstage/soundstage, because that's not one of the Orthodynamics' strong points. Let us know if you decide to damp them.
I have been listening to Senn HD-25 SPs for a while, so that's probably why the Yamahas sound so wide in comparison.

I've swapped my Senns for the Yams with my Mum/Brother for a bit (the HD-25 SPs are much better for what he's using them for)... I much prefer the sound from the HP-3s for vocal and instrumental music.
post #1143 of 23680
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj View Post
Oh, and sorry i haven't weighed the SS-100 drivers yet.
You could just say it's a secret..

As for the Whooshdales, I too have wondered what was supposed to seal the sides, but I figured with that much excursion, it probably doesn't care, and neither would your ear if the diaphragm were close enough. Kind of like Setmenu's DIY. Bass to burn.
post #1144 of 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by wualta View Post
You could just say it's a secret..
haha.

Quote:
As for the Whooshdales, I too have wondered what was supposed to seal the sides, but I figured with that much excursion, it probably doesn't care, and neither would your ear if the diaphragm were close enough. Kind of like Setmenu's DIY. Bass to burn.
Best idea I've come up with is to make the diaphragm barrel shaped, with an extra ruffle on either side of the 'ribbon'.

But you're right, it might not matter. Could just damp the edge of the diaphragm with dense foam and cross fingers.
post #1145 of 23680
Taking the back cap off the realistic Pro-30 and revealing the rear vents to the world was a nice little opening up but didn't quite go far enough. After a bit of artless hacking I removed the solid part of the rear of the body.

First impressions are good, more open sounding (what did you expect ripping a hole in the back of the can). I threw in another layer of dampening and an extra piece of foam while I had the cans open and I think I have taken it a bit too far.

The mod will look much better once I clean up the cutout and get rid of the residual glue from the cap.

*I have a quick pic but need to add it to Photobucket and it seems not to like me right now.
post #1146 of 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by facelvega View Post
I had an evening of the same thing once with exactly the same kind of headphones-- mine arrived so filthy that they'd seeped oil stains onto the tissue paper used to pack them. They smelled like an ashtray, their grilles were visibly filled with hair grease, and the space under their earpads looked like the crease between the seat cushions of an '88 subaru, down to the odd peanut nib. In retrospect, I should have just sent them back, but I'd won them for around seventeen bucks, so I swallowed my pride and set myself to disassembly and cleaning. Never again.

Mine were almost that dirty. No food debris in the pads, as far as i know, I kinda just threw them away. Thick layer of grime on everything.

Sometimes you've just gotta pull on some inspection gloves and bring out the harsh chemicals.
post #1147 of 23680
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeEast View Post
Taking the back cap off the realistic Pro-30 and revealing the rear vents to the world was a nice little opening up but didn't quite go far enough. ..I removed the solid part of the rear of the body.
Excellent. Document your progress with this.

For anyone else who might want to do this: Rather than remove the back completely, I'd recommend drilling many small holes in the back of the earcup so it will still hold in the damping material.

Will the modified stock enclosure do what the QP45x couldn't do?
post #1148 of 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by wualta View Post
Excellent. Document your progress with this.

For anyone else who might want to do this: Rather than remove the back completely, I'd recommend drilling many small holes in the back of the earcup so it will still hold in the damping material.
Yeah, if you don't have any vent material. I have a small supply of fine pitch perforated aluminum for that.
post #1149 of 23680
Here is how the Pro-30s look without the cap and the circle cut out.
I haven't gotten a chance to sit and really listen but it seems
like the mids are a bit too recessed now, I will probably have to
re-think the dampening. For a screen I used a bit of fine mesh from
a metal coffee filter. You can see from the pic it needs a bit of clean
up of the residual glue from the metal cap and some sanding of the
inner plastic.

post #1150 of 23680
Thread Starter 
To quote the late Christopher Fry: Whisst! Revelation!

That's looking mighty nifty. And yeah, the removal of the enclosure from the equation will probably force a new evaluation of the sound.

Any other ideas about where to get a good strong mesh or screen to hold in the damping discs before I go groveling back to ericj for a sample of his reticulated aluminium?
post #1151 of 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by wualta View Post
To quote the late Christopher Fry: Whisst! Revelation!

That's looking mighty nifty. And yeah, the removal of the enclosure from the equation will probably force a new evaluation of the sound.

Any other ideas about where to get a good strong mesh or screen to hold in the damping discs before I go groveling back to ericj for a sample of his reticulated aluminium?
Craft store? I remember seeing some bronze or brass mesh at mine. Probably not very strong, but in small discs it shouldn't matter a whole lot unless it's superflimsy.

I got mine by going to the local recycling center and rooting through their aluminum. A bit dented in spots, but i only paid 85 cents a pound.
post #1152 of 23680
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj View Post
I got mine by going to the local recycling center and rooting through their aluminum.
Could you by any chance post a scan or photo of this stuff?
post #1153 of 23680
A set of Peerless PMB100 orthos belonging to a certain sir just arrived with me.

The cord has to be about 30miles long, in true Float style, and the headphone uses 2 mono 2mm jacks as input, the cable isn't fixed. Sockets at the back of the headphone of course.

I shall give them a quick blart.
post #1154 of 23680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggeh View Post
A set of Peerless PMB100 orthos belonging to a certain sir just arrived with me.
Excellent news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duggeh
The cord has to be about 30miles long, in true Float style, and the headphone uses 2 mono 2mm jacks as input, the cable isn't fixed. Sockets at the back of the headphone of course.
Curious! Both plugs on one side, or one on each side?

Edit: oh, and wualta, I used a chunk of my perforated aluminum sheet on this amp:



It's not strong enough in chunks that big to hold panel components, also not as thick as the channel in that enclosure, so it's backed by a 1/8" sheet of clear lexan.

In small pieces it's plenty strong enough for most tasks. I built a pocket amp once that used a 3/4"x2" chunk of the stuff as the control panel, it holds up fine.
post #1155 of 23680
The cable on my PMB100 are on both sides and the headband is mounted on elastics and not fixed. The cable appears to be sprung steel internally. If you open them up do not touch the black stuff on the grill unless you want it to melt away, it's some magic dissolving foam or genetically modified fungus.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Orthodynamic Roundup