Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Orthodynamic Roundup
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Orthodynamic Roundup - Page 74

post #1096 of 23549
Well Fitz and warrior05 will hear them before I do, but I already know what they'll sound like. I've been in a headphone funk since your Strawberry Donuts left. I ordered some Beyer leather pads too, because I like the way they felt more secure on my head, and as I've said I want to follow the recipe from yours to the T. I'll have to drive them SE with the M³ that should be arriving any day until the ϐ22 is finished. The DDV's already found a new home.

Oh and BTW I keep confusing you with digitalmind now with the new avatar.

Footemps I concur, the YH-100s in the Donut shells have better bass than my 600Ω DT990s too, not only more quantity but better quality as well. And I like the highs better. It's a different sound sig., but I prefer the modded YH-100s in every way.
post #1097 of 23549
A.C. care to share the "secret" high density foam material that's beating out the felt?
post #1098 of 23549
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooTemps View Post
We decided that a yh-100 felt damping really isn't the way to go. Screw reflex dots and felt. Audiocats' secret high density foam works wonders. Audiocats even said he preferred the sound of the yh-100s with secret foam and no felt to his dt990 600ohm in terms of bass! Not bad for 35 dollars and some secret ingredients...
Is this in the stock YH-100 enclosure?

Glad the bass worked out, but what about the other 80% of the spectrum?

Any photos?
post #1099 of 23549
Yeah I'm kind of wondering that myself, as I find felt to be completely necessary. It's felt/foam/felt for the best balnce in the donuts.
post #1100 of 23549
We should make sure we're on the same page, or mat as the case may be.

Cheap crappy acryllic felt, or some sort of uberfelt?
post #1101 of 23549
Quote:
Originally Posted by swt61 View Post
Well Fitz and warrior05 will hear them before I do, but I already know what they'll sound like. I've been in a headphone funk since your Strawberry Donuts left. I ordered some Beyer leather pads too, because I like the way they felt more secure on my head, and as I've said I want to follow the recipe from yours to the T. I'll have to drive them SE with the M³ that should be arriving any day until the ϐ22 is finished. The DDV's already found a new home.

Oh and BTW I keep confusing you with digitalmind now with the new avatar.

Footemps I concur, the YH-100s in the Donut shells have better bass than my 600Ω DT990s too, not only more quantity but better quality as well. And I like the highs better. It's a different sound sig., but I prefer the modded YH-100s in every way.
Yeah, i guess I do know basically what they sound like

Does Rick have that Avatar? I was trying to find a new unique one - looks like I have to keep trying...
post #1102 of 23549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab View Post
Yeah, i guess I do know basically what they sound like

Does Rick have that Avatar? I was trying to find a new unique one - looks like I have to keep trying...
As carefull as I was with milling the driver housings, and following the exact same damping procedures and baffles, I'd be quite shocked if they didn't sound just like yours. Shocked and disapointed. But I have faith that they'll make me very happy. I finished the damping, flanges and baffles today, installed the drivers and mounted them on the headband. Just waiting for the Beyer Black Leather pads before I ship them off to Fitz. I thought about the Cognac, but I think I'd need a Cognac headband to make them look balanced.
I sure wish Beyer would open up sales on the headbands too!

Oh and yeah Rik has that avatar. He even has the poster on his wall. He's working on some cool single driver horn loaded speaker enclosures. I'm following closely because I'll be making some soon.
post #1103 of 23549
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj
The magnets are a single slotted ferroceramic like a T30, rather than the steel plates with sticks of samarium-cobalt found in the T50.
Is there a steel "keeper" on both outer faces of the ferrite magnet, similar to what we saw on the Amfiton TDS-15? That's different from the T30 and would serve to boost the efficiency a bit. It would be interesting to compare the efficiency of the SS-100 and T50 drivers.

Next we find out if the SS-100 has a "tight" diaphragm or a "loose" one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj
As wualta has pointed out, the film seems to be mylar rather than the kynar in the T50.
Quick correction: Kynar is the stuff that makes TAKET and Pioneer piezo drivers work. Kapton is the yellow high-temp leaf-tweeter Mylar-relative stuff. The last Heil diaphragms from the now-defunct ESS factory in Sacramento were also Kapton. Backlight 'em with a yellow LED nightlight and it's spooky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericj
But really. Don't go there. Just don't open them.
I freely confess I'm too much a scaredycat to do such a thing. Glad to hear you got yours back together. Imagine what it'd be like with neodymium magnets.

.
post #1104 of 23549
Quote:
Originally Posted by FooTemps View Post
well... after a listening session with audiocats...

...

a few clarifications:

Quote:
We decided that a yh-100 felt damping really isn't the way to go. Screw reflex dots and felt.
1)This is for stock YH-100 housing. There is only about 1/8" space in the Yh-100 housing, so it appeared that stuffing the space with a 1/8" HP foam disc worked really well. The best so far, great bass and smooth highs and mids. great clarity. Very sweet (literally) sound.
2)If the Yh-100 goes into a large housing to make super bass monsters, a reflex dot might be needed. But not in the stock housing.
3)We didn't have any sucess with felt, either the black stuff Alex had or the grey scarf fleece I got, as damping pads on the YH-100 driver. Black felt did clean up the bass somewhat, but not to a point that we'd call it good enough. Could be the wrong density.

Quote:
Audiocats' secret high density foam
1) hehe, lets keep it that way, until I get something with LARGE ortho drivers, like YH-1 or maybe some SS-100 driver. I think this foam is kind of a universal shotgun fix for ortho tuning, so once the screct is out the ortho price might go even higher . I'd better get some big drivers first -----edit: no longer going down the ortho path, so the secret is out, it was HP foam.
2) The high density foam didn't yield the most bass, it gave balanced sound with great bouncy bass, and was the overall winner. White filter fiber gave the most bass, clean and super powerful, but Alex said he like the high density foam result better for better mids and highs. I personally prefer the sound with the filter fiber, gotta love that thump.......

Quote:
Audiocats even said he preferred the sound of the yh-100s with secret foam and no felt to his dt990 600ohm in terms of bass!
1)The "YH-100/ HP foam" config won with better bass quality, it actually didn't have as much or go as deep as my 990/600, but the 990 bass was VERY sloppy comparing to the tuned Yamaha, when playing bass heavy stuff such as rap. Maybe my little amp didn't have enough control over the 990.
2)The "YH-100/filter fiber" config can compete with 990's bass amount and still have better bass quality. But treble might not be as good as the 990 (didn't do a direct A/B).
3)I have a feeling that the YH-100 doesn't go as deep as the 990, but only slightly. You might not have that "somebody banging on the ceiling" kind of bass (which the 990 can provide).

All of the above is with the stock Yamaha housing. I have to say I like the YH-100 a lot, super cool looking and extremely well designed, well, except the earcup ball joints.... They are also very heavy.
post #1105 of 23549
YH-100 impressions:
* stock (but with black felt pads on the back to clean up the bass somewhat):
Good detail, great mids, highs a little rolled off, smooth sound. It kind of reminded me of the ESP7 sound (which I really like), but with a lot stronger but sloppier bass.

* YH-100 housing with HP foam pads:
smooth highs and mids, strong and clean bass, great clarity. The sound is super sweet (syrupy) to my ears. Don't have that electrostatic feel anymore.

*YH-100 housing with white filter fiber:
Super strong, yet clean bass. highs and mids good. Sound more like a dynamic, but still smooth.

*In QP45x housing: no satisfying results so far. It can be tuned to sound better than in a 55x housing, but still not as nice as in the stock Yamaha housing, at least not to my ears. I suspect swt's donuts have smaller cavity than the QP's.
post #1106 of 23549
Ericj, what is the size of the SS-100 driver? And the weight?

thanks
post #1107 of 23549
Quote:
Originally Posted by wualta View Post
Is there a steel "keeper" on both outer faces of the ferrite magnet, similar to what we saw on the Amfiton TDS-15? That's different from the T30 and would serve to boost the efficiency a bit. It would be interesting to compare the efficiency of the SS-100 and T50 drivers.
There probably is - if you click on my image to get the jumbo version, you can make out a bead of glue on the inside of most of the slots.

Quote:
Next we find out if the SS-100 has a "tight" diaphragm or a "loose" one.
I'm still trying to get my hands on the appropriate fosterfone. A sale is agreed upon, just waiting for a shipping quote.

Quote:
Quick correction: Kynar is the stuff that makes TAKET and Pioneer piezo drivers work. Kapton is the yellow high-temp leaf-tweeter Mylar-relative stuff.
Doh! Teach me to post to this thread at 2am.

Quote:
I freely confess I'm too much a scaredycat to do such a thing. Glad to hear you got yours back together. Imagine what it'd be like with neodymium magnets.
As i've pointed out before, we can buy long skinny neodymium stick magnets from United Nuclear - but Bob Lazar sure charges a lot for them.

Why does a web store that sells such cool stuff have to be owned and operated by such a space cadet?!

One of these days I'm gonna find a cheaper source, and then maybe I'll try and build my own drivers - or at least my own magnet sets.
post #1108 of 23549
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioCats View Post
Ericj, what is the size of the SS-100 driver? And the weight?

thanks
Effective size, diaphragm size, or physical size for mounting?

'cause i aint opening them again, and i can't answer the 2nd one except to say: visually appears to be the same size as a T50.

The magnet face is 56mm. The mounting flange is 86mm, but where the driver meets the baffle you have a flange a hair under 80mm. The whole deal is a bit over 14mm thick.

As for weight . . . . some time tonight I'll dig out my digital scale.

Edit: The rear mounting flange on the SS-100 driver is almost precisely the same diameter as a beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 baffle. The driver fits in the DT990 earcup, but there's no way the original factory retaining rings will snap in around it - the driver is a few mm further out than the earpad flange.

The fosterfone I'm acquiring is a pair of empty DT990Pro earcups w/ headband. Right now i have no clear idea how I'm going to make this work. Technically it could be halfassed by packing around the driver w/ bluetak, but, i think i will look for a more elegant solution.
post #1109 of 23549
Thanks ericj.

now if the magnet is 56mm, does it mean it is effectivly about the same size as the Yh-1 and YH-100? the YH's are 55mm but the magnet is the same diameter as the whole driver.

Do you know the weight (if you can measure it)? I supposed you got them from that Sansui place, any more of them still available?
post #1110 of 23549
Heh, thanks for clarifying the session for everyone audiocats.

Quick update:

Since I was moving the YH-100's back into the QP55 housing, I did some additional tweaks. I beefed up the baffle with more blu-tak and now the bass response improved. And instead of putting the secret foam directly behind the driver, I put it behind a layer of low density foam. The extension and balance is great but the only problem is the syrupy sweet sound. It even smooths out songs that should sound gritty, which can be a bit awkward sounding. Still, I like the ultra balanced, smooth sound. Maybe a thin disk of this stuff coupled with the filter fiber would be the best combination.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Orthodynamic Roundup