Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Rank the Headphones that You Own.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rank the Headphones that You Own. - Page 340

post #5086 of 5094

I should listen to my other gear more often.

 

1: Sansui SS-100: Smooth as butter. Lacks a large low end; needs new pads. Fantastic soundstage and clarity. Treble is perfect. Doesn't like being driven loudly. Uncomfortable as sin.

 

2: Pioneer Monitor 10-II (extensive modifications): Barely below the Sansuis. More bass. Equal clarity. More 3D in presentation while being smaller in overall soundstage; hard to describe the exact differences, more of a preference thing. "Harder" sounding treble (distortion? ear-side ringing caused by earpads? dunno.) Upper midrange hole. 1kHz peak. Isolates like crazy. Much more comfortable. 

 

3: Etymotic ER-4S: Sending this one back, but not because of sound. Love how these sound. Just a bit too dark compared to the Sansui. No, I'm sending these back because I am physically incapable of wearing them. Several painful zits formed in both ears after about a week of use at work. Guess I'm really not an IEM guy.

 

4: Pioneer SE-500 (modified): eeehh. Very little bass and lower mids, and no warmth at all. Smooth and clear as hell but that's still not a good combination, and it can sound fatiguing because of this. Maybe the right pads would work.

 

5: Beyer DT48 S 5 ohm: These are something I like, that I really shouldn't. Literally no bass at all and less treble/upper mids than the SE-500 above, but there's something "special" about the presentation... they are definitely unique and do see use occasionally. 

post #5087 of 5094
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post
 

I should listen to my other gear more often.

 

1: Sansui SS-100: Smooth as butter. Lacks a large low end; needs new pads. Fantastic soundstage and clarity. Treble is perfect. Doesn't like being driven loudly. Uncomfortable as sin.

 

2: Pioneer Monitor 10-II (extensive modifications): Barely below the Sansuis. More bass. Equal clarity. More 3D in presentation while being smaller in overall soundstage; hard to describe the exact differences, more of a preference thing. "Harder" sounding treble (distortion? ear-side ringing caused by earpads? dunno.) Upper midrange hole. 1kHz peak. Isolates like crazy. Much more comfortable. 

 

3: Etymotic ER-4S: Sending this one back, but not because of sound. Love how these sound. Just a bit too dark compared to the Sansui. No, I'm sending these back because I am physically incapable of wearing them. Several painful zits formed in both ears after about a week of use at work. Guess I'm really not an IEM guy.

 

4: Pioneer SE-500 (modified): eeehh. Very little bass and lower mids, and no warmth at all. Smooth and clear as hell but that's still not a good combination, and it can sound fatiguing because of this. Maybe the right pads would work.

 

5: Beyer DT48 S 5 ohm: These are something I like, that I really shouldn't. Literally no bass at all and less treble/upper mids than the SE-500 above, but there's something "special" about the presentation... they are definitely unique and do see use occasionally. 

OK. NEVERMIND.

 

1: Sansui SS-100 (modded): Holy crap. I added a pair of rockwool discs from a Bang & Olufsen U70 to the rear of the drivers and placed the stock damping on top of that. Then I layered a pair of Shure SRH-550DJ pads with the inner foam cut out over the stock pads.

 

Then I voided my bowels. 

 

Unbelievable. Now they have bass and a pair of peaks in the upper ranges (2.5kHz and 8kHz) almost completely vanished. Presentation is larger and more 3D. These sound incredible, oh my god.

post #5088 of 5094
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

OK. NEVERMIND.

1: Sansui SS-100 (modded): Holy crap. I added a pair of rockwool discs from a Bang & Olufsen U70 to the rear of the drivers and placed the stock damping on top of that. Then I layered a pair of Shure SRH-550DJ pads with the inner foam cut out over the stock pads.

Then I voided my bowels. 

Unbelievable. Now they have bass and a pair of peaks in the upper ranges (2.5kHz and 8kHz) almost completely vanished. Presentation is larger and more 3D. These sound incredible, oh my god.

I dont normally call people out like this but we get it, you love the ss100s.

I follow this thread and almost every week you post the same thing. Its honestly coming across as spam. I'm glad that you love it but I'm sure no one here wants to hear your holy praises every single week.
post #5089 of 5094
HE-560 (real pleasure)
Q701
DT770 80 ohm
post #5090 of 5094

Grado RS-1i

Grado PS500e

(very different from each other, both great,

hard  for me to choose between them.  Depends

mostly on the music.)

 

 

Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro (250 ohms)

(While I wait for the headband repair on my

DT880 Premium, I pulled the Pro's out of

the closet and have been listening to them

with delight.  What great headphones!  They

need an amp, of course, but the sound (and

comfort) are terrific)  And while I can't listen

back and forth to the two headphones, from

memory there's no difference between them

to my ears.

 

 

Sony MDR Z7

Opinions are all over on these.  I hear their

weaknesses but still like them a lot.  Every

time I try a different closed headphone, the Z7's

come out on top.

 

 

Sennheiser HD 25 1 ii - original steel wiring

replaced with Oyaide (Japan) copper wiring

 

Outstanding closed headphones.  The re-wiring

makes a huge difference; I'm not sure I'd have

believed it if I hadn't heard it.

 

 

Sennheiser Amperior 

I like 'em a lot for closed headphones, but not as much

as the rewired Senn HD 25 1 ii.

 

 

I have some others, but I think these would be of

most interest to the community.

post #5091 of 5094
Ultrasone IQ Denon D2000
post #5092 of 5094
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuiter23 View Post


I dont normally call people out like this but we get it, you love the ss100s.

I follow this thread and almost every week you post the same thing. Its honestly coming across as spam. I'm glad that you love it but I'm sure no one here wants to hear your holy praises every single week.


Takato's rankings change fairly often, and there aren't any rules about posting more than a couple times a month in this thread. Honestly, there are dozens of posts between each of takato's, and there's nothing wrong with sharing updates. There's a big difference between posting to a thread often and spamming, and takato is not spamming. If it annoys you, you can easily skip each post in question. If this were a higher-traffic thread, like "What are you listening to right now?" or the HD650 impressions thread, you likely wouldn't even notice the frequency.


Edited by ssrock64 - 6/27/15 at 3:45am
post #5093 of 5094
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuiter23 View Post

I dont normally call people out like this but we get it, you love the ss100s.

I follow this thread and almost every week you post the same thing. Its honestly coming across as spam. I'm glad that you love it but I'm sure no one here wants to hear your holy praises every single week.


Just use the block user function if it annoys you. You won't see that persons posts anymore.

Cheers,
K
post #5094 of 5094
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuiter23 View Post
 
I follow this thread and almost every week you post the same thing. Its honestly coming across as spam.

How do you figure?  I only post when something changes, and I change my descriptions every time. I also very rarely post in this thread. 

 

As others pointed out, you are not forced to read my posts. I will post what I want, when I want, so long as it's relevant and within the forum rules. Deal with it or block me. It's your choice. 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Rank the Headphones that You Own.