or Connect
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Rank the Headphones that You Own.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rank the Headphones that You Own. - Page 277

post #4141 of 5607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonzeanse View Post
 


More like 300ohm.

 

It's my first pair of 'true audiophile' headphone, hence my name ;)

post #4142 of 5607

Oppo PM-1

Senn 280H

post #4143 of 5607
As I only have 2 headphones, my selection is quite easy:

1. LCD-X
2. HD800

Sold
3. Fostex TH600
4. Beyer DT880
5. ATH ESW-9
Edited by akhyar - 5/20/14 at 5:15pm
post #4144 of 5607

New comparison of the headphones I have.

  1. My portable DiY ortho (I really need a real name for them as well as make a better less microphonic and more flexible cable) (really comfy with the ESW9 pads as well as a sound that's oh so good for instrumentals and vocals - them magical ortho mids working their hardest for my ears - but the bass quantity really falls behind the D2K)
  2. D2K (so good for all things electronic and bass-happy but the mids seem a bit distant when compared to the PDO and not as magical so to speak and the treble is a bit sharp in non-electronic genres as well)
  3. Q40 (simply outclassed by the D2K comfort-wise, I want to sell these off or swap them for the HD25 ALU my dad's using currently as they're too big for a portable and too uncomfortable for a desktop pair of headphones)
  4. VK-1 (after being spoilt by the PDO and D2K, I find the comfort of these headphones to be just atrocious and once I get Aedle to fix up the pads I'll sell them off to someone else)
  5. TDS-257 (my other DiY ortho) (terrible comfort without the ESW9 pads (and those are taken) and a somewhat weird and extremely coloured sound that's hard to change with damping mods so I want to change the shell the drivers are in to something different)
post #4145 of 5607
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketInABucket View Post
 
  1. My portable DiY ortho (I really need a real name for them as well as make a better less microphonic and more flexible cable) (really comfy with the ESW9 pads as well as a sound that's oh so good for instrumentals and vocals - them magical ortho mids working their hardest for my ears - but the bass quantity really falls behind the D2K)

Are they T50RP-based, or something else?

post #4146 of 5607
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post
 

Are they T50RP-based, or something else?

 

Probably the Bucket-Rin OA-7 (Pickering OA-7 with Taobao drivers) in his profile.

post #4147 of 5607
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssrock64 View Post
 

Are they T50RP-based, or something else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claritas View Post
 

 

Probably the Bucket-Rin OA-7 (Pickering OA-7 with Taobao drivers) in his profile.

Nah, the Bucket-Rin OA-7 is left in HK so I didn't include it in the ranking because I don't remember how they sound. The portable DiY ortho is SFI ribbon tweeter-based.

Here's the partial build link in the ortho thread (as I'm still working on them).

 

EDIT: Came up with a new name for them. The Argentum!


Edited by BucketInABucket - 5/20/14 at 3:35am
post #4148 of 5607

on hand:

1. hd800

2. stax 009 (do not have a good amp to drive only the wee, tried it once on WES which is quite good sounds flowing with lots of details)

sold:

3. Th900

4. k1000

5. he6

6. w5k


Edited by lannik - 5/20/14 at 12:54am
post #4149 of 5607
Quote:
Originally Posted by lannik View Post
 

on hand:

1. hd800

2. stax 009 (do not have a good amp to drive only the wee, tried it once on WES which is quite good sounds flowing with lots of details)

sold:

3. Th900

4. k1000

5. he6

6. w5k

uhhh 

 

so the WEE driven 009 is worse than the HD800, but the WES-driven 009 is better than the HD800? somehow I find that hard to believe, unless you're using a completely terrible speaker amp...

post #4150 of 5607
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post
 

uhhh 

 

so the WEE driven 009 is worse than the HD800, but the WES-driven 009 is better than the HD800? somehow I find that hard to believe, unless you're using a completely terrible speaker amp...

not sure wa5 is a terrible power amp or not...but from what I hear is hd800 is much better on some orchestral music which require large sound stage and power. Also wes driven 009 can not completely over 800. But the SR-009 combo is a great combination for acoustic chamber and jazz vocals. I'd like to say I love my hd800 move at this stage under the unfair comparison.

post #4151 of 5607

1. Tony Bennett Awesome Edition Vol. 2 (with M50 pads and desktop amp/dac ONLY)

2. Q701 (stock or modded)

3. HD-650

4. HD-598

 

#1 is there because neither of the rest really do anything better. They do everything WORSE. The ONLY advantage they have is that they're open. HD-650 costs $500 retail and manages to sound more muffled and less clear than my $50 headphone. Luckily bass ported modded Q701 gets close to the TB sound, but still can't compare in low bass extension and sound clarity. But..but..the two open headphones are more airy and have a bigger soundstage! Don't care! Oh, well I guess the Q701 is more analytical. Nice! I found one.

 

Give me a way fuller sounding modded Q701 with better low bass presence and smoother treble and we have the best open headphone of all time. The problem is that it might require being closed? NOTE: K712 is not it. This basically would be my dream headphone.

 

BTW I do love all my headphones but I could easily live without 2-4. I just require an open headphone for comfort and specific music.


Edited by tdockweiler - 5/20/14 at 4:55pm
post #4152 of 5607

Here's mine:

 

1. LCD-2 Rev. 2

2. HE-500

3. T50RP (just started down the modding path...)

post #4153 of 5607
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketInABucket View Post
 

Nah, the Bucket-Rin OA-7 is left in HK so I didn't include it in the ranking because I don't remember how they sound. The portable DiY ortho is SFI ribbon tweeter-based

I couldn't remember the name SFI, but I had a sneaking suspicion it might've been one of those as well. The closest I got in mead head before posting was the vaguely similar-sounding "MSI", so I just had to post the obvious Fostex choice and see how you answered.

post #4154 of 5607
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post
 

1. Tony Bennett Awesome Edition Vol. 2 (with M50 pads and desktop amp/dac ONLY)

2. Q701 (stock or modded)

3. HD-650

4. HD-598

o_o I am always surprised when people differ from the norm like that. It's awesome to see that people can think for themselves.

post #4155 of 5607
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdockweiler View Post
 

1. Tony Bennett Awesome Edition Vol. 2 (with M50 pads and desktop amp/dac ONLY)

2. Q701 (stock or modded)

3. HD-650

4. HD-598

 

#1 is there because neither of the rest really do anything better. They do everything WORSE. The ONLY advantage they have is that they're open. HD-650 costs $500 retail and manages to sound more muffled and less clear than my $50 headphone. Luckily bass ported modded Q701 gets close to the TB sound, but still can't compare in low bass extension and sound clarity. But..but..the two open headphones are more airy and have a bigger soundstage! Don't care! Oh, well I guess the Q701 is more analytical. Nice! I found one.

 

Give me a way fuller sounding modded Q701 with better low bass presence and smoother treble and we have the best open headphone of all time. The problem is that it might require being closed? NOTE: K712 is not it. This basically would be my dream headphone.

 

BTW I do love all my headphones but I could easily live without 2-4. I just require an open headphone for comfort and specific music.

I think you would really like the Alpha Dog ; ]

 

1. Alpha Dog

2. DT880

 

I've heard a lot of other headphones too that I think the Alpha Dog sounds better than (TH600, TH900 IMO, HD650, DT880 (for most music unless it requires a large soundstage), LCD-2)

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Rank the Headphones that You Own.