Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Rank the Headphones that You Own.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rank the Headphones that You Own. - Page 257

post #3841 of 4452
Quote:
Originally Posted by viralcow View Post
 

It's the pads.

Right, sorry, my mistake.

 

The pads attenuate the treble slightly and absorb some of the bloom from the bass. It is not a major difference by any means.

post #3842 of 4452
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post
 

Absolutely not. The 712 ruins the neutrality of the 70x.

i read some threads and it seams that you right, poeple say that even the HD700 not worth upgrading from the 701\702 ,so i dont think that the k712 will be an upgrade as well...

 

jeez, so it means that the only headphones that will be an upgrade from the 70x is the HD800:rolleyes:

post #3843 of 4452
1. MDR-7520
2. Musical Fidelity MF-100

Those are the only headphones that are worth mentioning.
post #3844 of 4452
Quote:
Originally Posted by headphones1999 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post

 
Absolutely not. The 712 ruins the neutrality of the 70x.
i read some threads and it seams that you right, poeple say that even the HD700 not worth upgrading from the 701\702 ,so i dont think that the k712 will be an upgrade as well...

jeez, so it means that the only headphones that will be an upgrade from the 70x is the HD800:rolleyes:
Some might say the HE400s are an upgrade.
post #3845 of 4452

if you like bass...

post #3846 of 4452
...and awful treble presentation.
post #3847 of 4452
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguegeek View Post

...and awful treble presentation.
With the stock pads and certain recordings, I definitely agree with you. With Jergpads, not so.
post #3848 of 4452

amigomatt, could you recommend portable headphones with sublime sound quality, good isolation and excellent comfortability? 

post #3849 of 4452
Quote:
Originally Posted by H6916 View Post

amigomatt, could you recommend portable headphones with sublime sound quality, good isolation and excellent comfortability? 
I would say that if you don't have a very large head then most definitely the NAD HP50. Budget?
post #3850 of 4452
Quote:
Originally Posted by H6916 View Post

amigomatt, could you recommend portable headphones with sublime sound quality, good isolation and excellent comfortability? 
If you have a larger head and the NADs are beyond your budget, then the AKG K550 or K545. I haven't heard them but from extensive reading, they're bound to end up on that list, along with the German Maestro GMP 8.35, Beyerdynamic DT1350, DT250, SoundMagic HP100, Sennheiser Amperior, HD25s.
post #3851 of 4452
Others on that list dont really fit that criteri either, but I wouldn't call the 550s portable, but they don't sound bad wink.gif
Edited by GirgleMirt - 3/17/14 at 11:28am
post #3852 of 4452
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgleMirt View Post

Others on that list dont really fit that criteri either, but I wouldn't call the 550s portable, but they don't sound bad wink.gif
+1


The K550 is definitely not a portable can.
post #3853 of 4452
Quote:
Originally Posted by headphones1999 View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post
 

Absolutely not. The 712 ruins the neutrality of the 70x.

i read some threads and it seams that you right, poeple say that even the HD700 not worth upgrading from the 701\702 ,so i dont think that the k712 will be an upgrade as well...

 

jeez, so it means that the only headphones that will be an upgrade from the 70x is the HD800:rolleyes:

The HD700 is a horrible headphone, avoid it like the plague. 

 

Don't be so sure about the HD800. Its slightly darker than the K701 and is an absolute beast to power. The K701 is an extremely underrated headphone. It seems like it gets kicked to the dirt simply because it's cheap relative to the other flagships. It does a lot of things right and very few wrong. You'll be hard pressed to find a headphone that's a complete, direct upgrade to it. In fact, the only headphone that comes to mind is the STAX SR-009. 

 

The K812 might be worth a try if you can deal with a little tizz on the transients; it has deeper bass, higher treble, better soundstage, etc while maintaining the transparency of the K701, but sacrifices some treble control and refinement.

 

If you're willing to go vintage, the STAX SR-X MKIII is a good complement to the K701, according to my friend. Just make sure you replace the pads else you'll be left with a very bright, bassless experience. You would also need either a transformer box and a speaker amp or a normal bias stat amp, so that'd be more of an endeavor.

 

Hope this helps.


Edited by takato14 - 3/17/14 at 9:16pm
post #3854 of 4452
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post
 

The HD700 is a horrible headphone, avoid it like the plague. 

 

Don't be so sure about the HD800. Its slightly darker than the K701 and is an absolute beast to power. The K701 is an extremely underrated headphone. It seems like it gets kicked to the dirt simply because it's cheap relative to the other flagships. It does a lot of things right and very few wrong. You'll be hard pressed to find a headphone that's a complete, direct upgrade to it. In fact, the only headphone that comes to mind is the STAX SR-009. 

 

 

Woah. A bit harsh there, though I think much the same. :D

post #3855 of 4452
Quote:
Originally Posted by viralcow View Post
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by takato14 View Post
 

The HD700 is a horrible headphone, avoid it like the plague. 

 

Don't be so sure about the HD800. Its slightly darker than the K701 and is an absolute beast to power. The K701 is an extremely underrated headphone. It seems like it gets kicked to the dirt simply because it's cheap relative to the other flagships. It does a lot of things right and very few wrong. You'll be hard pressed to find a headphone that's a complete, direct upgrade to it. In fact, the only headphone that comes to mind is the STAX SR-009. 

 

 

Woah. A bit harsh there, though I think much the same. :D

I try being polite and subtle, but people don't seem to listen very well when I do that. So, blunt and harsh it is. 

 

On-Topic: Updating my list... 

 

1: Sony DR-Z7: Does almost everything right for me, I really love these.

2: Pioneer Monitor 10-II: Everything the Z7 can't do, these do at the same level. A perfect complement.

3: Pioneer SE-500 (modded): God why can't obsolete this headphone? Horrid comfort and brightness aside, I still enjoy it... a lot. 

4: Audio-Technica ATH-6D (modded): Perfect comfort. Balanced and expansive, used for gaming.

 

[/lazy descriptions]


Edited by takato14 - 3/17/14 at 10:08pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › Rank the Headphones that You Own.