Recent Images In This Thread
- itemAKG Acoustics K 271 Studio
- itemAKG K1000
- itemAKG K501
- itemBeyerdynamic DT 250 Headphones Ear Cup
- itemEtymotic Research ER4S MicroPro Reference Earphones
- itemEtymotic Research ER6 Isolator In Ear Earphones Black
- itemGrado SR125i Headphones
- itemGrado SR225i Headphones
- itemSennheiser HD 280 Headphones
- itemSennheiser HD 580
- itemSennheiser HD 600
- itemSony MDR V6 Monitor Series Headphones With CCAW Voice Coil
Related Forum Threads
- Recommendations for Best headphones on the market (new and old) Last post on 3/13/11 at 6:17am in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for Movie Scores/ Classical/ Symphonies Last post on 7/29/11 at 8:25pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Headphones for Radiohead Last post on 3/6/13 at 6:59pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Suggest me a replacement for my ATH-M50's (something like AKG-K701) Last post on 9/14/12 at 1:36pm in Headphones (full-size)
- Looking for reference headphones Last post on 7/18/12 at 11:50am in Headphones (full-size)
2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Over-Ear)
Edited on 5/13/13
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...Edited on 5/27/12
- Grado Modification OverviewEdited on 9/27/11
- Headphone ImpedanceEdited on 8/18/12
- Buying Guide Headphones By Price RangeEdited on 10/26/12
Related Head Gear
Let’s start with the accessories, which are 3 pairs of silicone tips (small, medium and large size), airline adapter plug (should replace it with foam tips or something else more practical IMO)...
Upon initial listening with these buds, I was rather unimpressed as I heard the rather familiar bloated mid-bass, sharp highs, and lack of mids that SKDY's old line carried. Then I realized that...
The VSD1 is the latest in a rather long line of budget in ear monitors including the VC02, GR99, GR02 and others that promises high quality sound for around $50 or so. While I haven’t had...
I tried a few Grado's —didn't like the Grado house sound—, a few Senn's —HD650 left a good impression—, a few lower-end AT's —I thought the AD700 were impressive for the price— and after reading...
In my recent quest for a new set of cans, I took a slight detour into the land of flashy prosumer headphones, in the form of the HK CL. The only reason I tried a pair was the price: half off,...
Rank the Headphones that You Own. - Page 176
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2627 of 30741/28/13 at 6:46pmpost #2628 of 30741/28/13 at 6:56pm
1. HD600 - Jazz, Rock, Pop
1. D2000 - Electronic, Reggae, Hip Hop, Funk / groove oriented music
4. HD25-1 II - my on the go cans
Edited by Audionaut - 2/22/13 at 11:08ampost #2629 of 30742/1/13 at 4:22ampost #2630 of 30742/7/13 at 2:16pm
I sold my Sennheiser HD 439's. I'm without cans once again. Not sure what I'm gonna get next, but I'd really like the very best BUDGET cans they make, that are balanced in sound sig, with maximum clarity, separation, comfortable, and for someone on a budget ($50.00-80.00). Any tips?post #2631 of 30742/7/13 at 2:27pm
1. Sennheiser HD598
2. Bose On-Ear
Ashamed i thought the Bose were good, high end phones. But.. I still use them as wear and tear phones on the buss, any suggestions for good value portable replacements?post #2632 of 30742/7/13 at 5:07pm@ Grumus
The koss portapro are very good bang for Buck headphones. They are extremely portable, I always have one in my school back pack as a backup and they are good for watching a movie in the bus.
But I guess the boses are good for that purpose too. And you're looking for something better.post #2633 of 30742/7/13 at 5:40pm@IEMagnet01
The SR60i is what I'd recommend, It very clear, pretty balanced sound sig (a bit trebly, not much bass), although Grados are not known for their comfort. They can be great DIY projects too :Ppost #2634 of 30742/7/13 at 11:40pmpost #2635 of 30742/8/13 at 12:52ampost #2636 of 30742/8/13 at 1:52amQuote:
If you wan't looks, comfort, isolation and value when it comes to sound look the Philips Downtown. The Uptowns are pretty good too but costs a little more.
JVC S500 are a very good sounding on-ear but don't have the comfort of a Bose or Downtown.
You should look at the JVC FXD70 however if you are after good sound under 100$ but now we are talking about in-ears. The new Hifiman in-ear may also be a serious bang for buck as is the Sony MH1C.post #2637 of 30742/8/13 at 2:03ampost #2638 of 30742/8/13 at 2:42am
The Downtowns look very good and philips say they have a natural and clean sound, which I am after. Will have to test them out when my bose finally give up. I have tried and owned a few in-ears (sennheiser CX300, JAYZ three among others) but i never have liked the fit (small ear canals?) . They always seem to fall out when I am on the move so I always tend to take on ears outside. Thanks for the suggestions!post #2639 of 30742/8/13 at 3:12amQuote:Originally Posted by Grumus
The Downtowns look very good and philips say they have a natural and clean sound, which I am after. Will have to test them out when my bose finally give up. I have tried and owned a few in-ears (sennheiser CX300, JAYZ three among others) but i never have liked the fit (small ear canals?) . They always seem to fall out when I am on the move so I always tend to take on ears outside. Thanks for the suggestions!
You won't have any problems with the FXD70 falling out as you where them with a deep fit and I also like to have them around-the-ear which makes them impossible to fall out.
If I use these foam tips I can wear them for hours without any discomfort. Only if you have really tiny ear canals can fit be a problem. I have small ear canals myself and can only have the tips in small and the fit is tight but not an issue.
Nothing I have tried be it on-ear or over ear sound as good for the price as these. Extremely clear and engaging sounding with good timbre, balance and imaging. They will make your CX300 and Jays sound very mediocre. Isolation and build is also very good. For 60 bucks they are a steal.post #2640 of 30742/8/13 at 4:08am
Headphone ranking in terms of head time (which is usually due to comfort, fun, and getting lost in the music):
1) Denon AH-D7000 (Lawton Angle Pads)
2) Sennheiser HD 600
3) Koss KSC75
4) Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 (Beyer Gel Pads)
5) Koss TBSE1 (ATH-M50 Pads)
6) Grado SR225i (Headphile C-Pads &/or L-Cush Pads)
7) Audio-Technica ATH-M30
8) Audio-Technica ATH-M50
9) Koss Porta Pro
- Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- Comparing headphones: Sennheiser's HD 800, HD 600, HD 25-1 and...
- › AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition 42 seconds ago
- › Virtual Surround and HE-400 Help 2 minutes ago
- › Zero Audio - ZH-DX200 Carbo Tenore | ZH-DX210 Carbo Basso (Carbon &... 3 minutes ago
- › AKG K712 PRO Announced 4 minutes ago
- › 「Official」Asian Anime, Manga, and Music Lounge 4 minutes ago
- › Pictures of Your Portable Rig (part XVI) 5 minutes ago
- › FitEar Parterre (パルテール) Appreciation Thread 6 minutes ago
- › Headphones + PS3? 6 minutes ago
- › The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former... 7 minutes ago
- › Meier Audio Quickstep (also Stepdance and 2Stepdance) Discussion... 7 minutes ago
- › Rockit Sounds R-50 by danikus
- › Skullcandy S2SYDA-008 Merge Earbud Headphones - Black/Chrome by KodaO
- › VSONIC VSD1 by TheGame21x
- › Audio Technica W5000 by the wizard of oz
- › Harmon Kardon Classic On-Ear Headphones by imagic
- › Creative Aurvana Live! Headphones by imagic
- › JBL J33 Premium In-Ear Headphones - Black by Aakash
- › Hisoundaudio Wooduo 2 by iern
- › Apple iPod classic 160 GB Silver (7th Generation) NEWEST MODEL by jensy
- › Sony MDR-V55/BR DJ style Headphones by dietcoke2am
- › Syncing music and making playlists work with... by Currawong
- › Mac OS X Music Players - alternatives to iTunes by miceblue
- › STAX SR-007 (Omega II) ... A Review After 4... by Currawong
- › List of lossless and high-res music (FLAC,... by ffivaz
- › Beware of the following scams and people... by Currawong
- › Sennheiser 449 Mod Possibly 4 8 Mod by hernan604
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Computer Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Portable... by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Desktop Audio) by joe
- › 2012 Head-Fi Holiday Gift Guide (Headphone... by joe