OK, y'all...just got off the phone with the owner of Power Systems. He sells both Panamax and Monster Products and sounded very much like he knew what he was talking about, etc. His claim of "product knowledge" seems true to me.
Anyhow, I asked him, amongst other things, about the Panamax vs. the Monster line. Here are some of his statements, based upon his experience, but mostly his customer feedback about units:
1. The Panamax line are far superior for surge protection.
2. The revised Monster line (the "Version 2.0" Levels) are noticeably better than the Panamax line for filtration
(again, the Panamax's are far superior at power surge protection).
3. The pre-"Version 2.0" Monster products are not nearly as good as the "Version 2.0" products. He stated that the V2.0 products have been "gutted and completely re-worked from the ground up."
4. The HTS1000 (a non-"Version 2.0" product) is a "glorified power strip" and the filtration is worse than both the revised Monster products and the Panamax products.
5. Though the HTS1000 "looks like a strip" (the term "strip" having derogatory implications), it is not; rather, it's a compact, strip-like power unit, more in the vein of one of their component-style pieces.
With these in mind, the cheapest way to get the better filtration (remember we are not talking the absolute best, but rather the "cheap" best) is to purchase the Monster MPB1100 Powerbar. Best Buy sells it for $199, he does it for $149.http://www.discountpanamax.com/41/202.htm?232