Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › SuperMacro-3 is available with promotion (2XBUF634 for free)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SuperMacro-3 is available with promotion (2XBUF634 for free) - Page 3

post #31 of 314
Indeed, both of these amps were designed with different approach.
I now believe that optimizing a circuit topology using specific opamp is the best approach for high-end headphone amp.
Even using socket for opamp and buffer actually degrade signal quality.
It took me days if not weeks of listening and measuring to optimize my current heaphone amp. I select opamp based on its sound signature and work days or weeks to optimize circuit for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikzen
It's a good point Akuan. When Xin first talked about the SuperMacro I believe he said it was going to be around $200. However, when it was released it was $250. Now a standard one is $300 and with the "extras" it's $350. I still think it's more feature laiden than the SR-71 and more customizable, but the price is definitely steadily creeping up. As for the SR-71, it might not be customizable, but its configuration is pretty optimized to sound terrific. I guess it's too different approaches to amp R&D.
post #32 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin022
As I've continually said, I'm really looking forward to hearing the two of them (SR-71 and SM) side by side (the Xin being his latest).
Yeah, we (meaning a small group of NY area Head-Fiers) have been trying to do this since November. It's like trying to hit a moving target.
post #33 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikzen
Yeah, we (meaning a small group of NY area Head-Fiers) have been trying to do this since November. It's like trying to hit a moving target.
where in NY? dmoffitt just got an SR-71 and he's in Rochester.

I'm sure he'd love to have a mini-meet
post #34 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuan
Indeed, both of these amps were designed with different approach.
I now believe that optimizing a circuit topology using specific opamp is the best approach for high-end headphone amp.
Even using socket for opamp and buffer actually degrade signal quality.
It took me days if not weeks of listening and measuring to optimize my current heaphone amp. I select opamp based on its sound signature and work days or weeks to optimize circuit for it.
Im no EE, but I agree with this statement. I think to a certain degree opamp rolling is a bit of a novelty. It's not to say that you can't get lucky and find different opamps that that sound better in specific ciruits, but I think it is better to optimize the circuit based on the opamp you want to use and leave it at that. Of course, opamp rolling makes physics challenged geek-wannabes like me feel better about myself.
post #35 of 314
I have to admit, I just got an SR-71 and I CANNOT BELIEVE how INCREDIBLE that amp sounds...with no switches, etc. I mean, I'm still burning the thing in, and it just sounds right on. I am definitely sending my SuperMacro V1.0 in for upgrades, and the fact I have the SR-71 is gonna make that period easy to deal with...
post #36 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle b
I have to admit, I just got an SR-71 and I CANNOT BELIEVE how INCREDIBLE that amp sounds...with no switches, etc. I mean, I'm still burning the thing in, and it just sounds right on. I am definitely sending my SuperMacro V1.0 in for upgrades, and the fact I have the SR-71 is gonna make that period easy to deal with...
Well, as far as I'm concerned, the switches are for ety ER4-P owners only.... for $50, the same price as the P->S cable from ety..... one switch takes care of that, and you get some added bonuses for the same price.
post #37 of 314
these price increases are going to make me rethink getting a Supermacro in a couple months. the main reason i was going to go with the Supermacro was the price point compared to the SR-71, but the price difference isn't nearly as important, now.
post #38 of 314
Quote:
I know John's comparing the SM2.0 to SR71, but now I just want to know how SM3 sounds
I have been listening to both and it is hard. The SR71 is very, very good. But the SMV2 has some very fine traits as well. But since it will not even go into production I am not sure of the use of posting any detailed observation. Now I would like to compare the SMV3 to the SR71. The V2 does have a slightly wider stage and a bit more detail than the 71 (with its black back ground) but it is so very close. They both are very enjoyable to listen to and non-fatiguing.

John
post #39 of 314
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin022
everyone's b!tching that they got a Version 1 a month ago, at least they have SOMETHING to listen to! I have nothing . I was set to order mine 2 weeks ago, finally ordered it on the 6th (right after he announced the V2.0), been waiting since....
One thing that's really exciting to me is to see my SM's getting better and better, though it's kind of pain with endless waiting.
post #40 of 314
I agree but that SMV3 should be exceptionable. I went back to the 627's in the V2, and prefer them over others.

John
post #41 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by goto2003
One thing that's really exciting to me is to see my SM's getting better and better, though it's kind of pain with endless waiting.
oh, don't get me wrong, it's REALLY exciting me... I'm the type of person who gets impatient waiting for FedEx express to deliver my overnight package...

this waiting and anticipation is either torture or a good test of my will.
post #42 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdipisReks
these price increases are going to make me rethink getting a Supermacro in a couple months. the main reason i was going to go with the Supermacro was the price point compared to the SR-71, but the price difference isn't nearly as important, now.
I'm torn between a Supermacro and an SR-71 myself. The only think that's tipping the scales toward the SM is the P-->S impedance switch built in to the amp which to me is less a matter of saving money (it is an additional $50 after all) than a question of having one less adapter to carry around in my already overstuffed messenger bag.
post #43 of 314
Well, I e-mailed Dr. Xin this morning (around 8:30am ET) asking what my options were (having ordered the SM last week and waiting for V2.0 and later 3.0. I wanted to know how much more I will owe him for the 3.0 so he can hopefully build it ASAP and get it sent out.

Haven't heard back as yet.
post #44 of 314
I suppose it also depends on how good the SM V3 compares to the Sr-71.

I think the SR-71 has already reached the legendary "You simply can't go wrong with it" status among the portable. The SM is also highly regarded, but my impression is that it hasn't reach the SR-71 status (and I guess there is no saying whether its justified or not).

I was debating between the Portaphile V2 and the SM V2. But with the price increase of the SM, I reckon that I am more likely to go with the SR-71 simply due to legacy the SR-71 seems to have built here.

(This is from the perspective of someone who hasn't listened to either but basing the judgement from what I've read).

The smart thing for me to do now, really, is probably to order the Portaphile V2 and run away from this site triple time
post #45 of 314
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamato8
I agree but that SMV3 should be exceptionable. I went back to the 627's in the V2, and prefer them over others.

John
John, did you get a chance to throw in NE5534?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › SuperMacro-3 is available with promotion (2XBUF634 for free)