Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › SuperMacro-3 is available with promotion (2XBUF634 for free)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

SuperMacro-3 is available with promotion (2XBUF634 for free) - Page 2

post #16 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by goto2003
Erikzen, please let me know if there's a more appropriate word What I mean is those who pursue the purest possible sound and don't like to add any "color" to music
I really didn't mean to bust your chops on that one. I just wasn't sure what you were referring and if someone was going to pay me to listen to the SuperMacro, sign me up!

I think the word you are looking for is actually "audiophile". I think Xin uses the term expert user. Really, I don't think there is any word or term to describe what you said, except exactly what you said - maybe "audio purist".
post #17 of 314

Price has gone way up

Xin amp prices has steadly gone up considerably. You don't get AC adapter and opamp with the base price. Optional 2X buffers option is now $29.95, it used to be $9.95 (although there are 3 buffers now instead of two).
All of the sudden the SR71 seems to be competitively priced after all.
Too bad I don't need portable amp anymore.
post #18 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuan
Xin amp prices has steadly gone up considerably. You don't get AC adapter and opamp with the base price. Optional 2X buffers option is now $29.95, it used to be $9.95 (although there are 3 buffers now instead of two).
All of the sudden the SR71 seems to be competitively priced after all.
Too bad I don't need portable amp anymore.
re-read..... (see below)

a) you do still get an AC adapter
b) you still get it with "stock" OPA227

yeah, the buffer price has gone up, but for me it went down $9.99 since when I ordered my SM, I paid for the extra buffer, now it's free till the end of the month

I'm a firm believer (within reason) that you get what you pay for. I have no doubt that this is a top notch, durable and bullet proof product that is well worth the $$$.

Quote:
OPA227, BUF634 (1x) soldered on board, total 5000uF power caps, true dual-mono architecture

Powered by 6-15V DC or 8 AAA batteries (60 hours), internal charging for rechargeable batteries

On-auto-off 3-position power switch with 60-min auto-off timer, DC-in jack, portable AC adapter (with 220V/110V switch), auto/manual battery-save mode

Black anodized aluminum case, super blue LED, machined anodized aluminum volume knob, CNC milled and engraved face and back plates

Size: 3.25x2.125x0.91 in (smaller than a credit card and an iPod)

Weight: 6.5 oz (yes, with 8 AAA batteries)
post #19 of 314
Thread Starter 
Yes, price really goes up But AC adapter is included by default. From Xin's:

"Replacements (these are included by default)

AC apapter".
post #20 of 314
Can you no longer get the L/R op amps soldered on and increase your power caps?
post #21 of 314
Ok, I stand corrected. You forgot that the SM V1.0 came with 2X buffers standard ($0) and AD6210 soldered by default less than 3 months ago.
post #22 of 314
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin022
re-read..... (see below)

a) you do still get an AC adapter
b) you still get it with "stock" OPA227
There's nothing about the default OP in Xin's website so far, but Xin replied to me saying that NE5534 will be default. No idea
post #23 of 314
I just looked at the website again and there is no mention of opamp installed.
We should both re-read his website before replying since it can change by the minutes.

[QUOTE=Darwin022]re-read..... (see below)

a) you do still get an AC adapter
b) you still get it with "stock" OPA227
post #24 of 314
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac
Can you no longer get the L/R op amps soldered on and increase your power caps?
My guess is the standard SM3 comes with L/R OP Sockets that allow us to roll op. At least, a bigger benefit to me than more caps. I think even 4400uf is overkilled.
post #25 of 314
Umm, its slowly slipping away from my planned budget...
post #26 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by goto2003
There's nothing about the default OP in Xin's website so far, but Xin replied to me saying that NE5534 will be default. No idea
yeah, I think there is some confusion about that, because I know there was a lot of discussion about those opamps....

Akuan: I copied and pasted EXACTLY what was up there, it appears that in the last 20 minutes, there has been a change again ;-)

Very odd that he wouldn't include opamps with it at all, I would think he would at least throw the NE5534's in, since they aren't mentioned in that section and he raved about them earlier.... (PS: and they are CHEAP)
post #27 of 314
It's a good point Akuan. When Xin first talked about the SuperMacro I believe he said it was going to be around $200. However, when it was released it was $250. Now a standard one is $300 and with the "extras" it's $350. I still think it's more feature laiden than the SR-71 and more customizable, but the price is definitely steadily creeping up. As for the SR-71, it might not be customizable, but its configuration is pretty optimized to sound terrific. I guess it's two different approaches to amp R&D.
post #28 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikzen
It's a good point Akuan. When Xin first talked about the SuperMacro I believe he said it was going to be around $200. However, when it was released it was $250. Now a standard one is $300 and with the "extras" it's $350. I still think it's more feature laiden than the SR-71 and more customizable, but the price is definitely steadily creeping up. As for the SR-71, it might not be customizable, but its configuration is pretty optimized to sound terrific. I guess it's too different approaches to amp R&D.
As I've continually said, I'm really looking forward to hearing the two of them (SR-71 and SM) side by side (the Xin being his latest).
post #29 of 314
Thread Starter 
I have got the SM2 beta and it sounds a huge step over SM1, not an overstatement from a fanboy of SM I know John's comparing the SM2.0 to SR71, but now I just want to know how SM3 sounds
post #30 of 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by goto2003
I have got the SM2 beta and it sounds a huge step over SM1, not an overstatement from a fanboy of SM I know John's comparing the SM2.0 to SR71, but now I just want to know how SM3 sounds
As I said on fixup....

I want to know how ANY SM sounds.... everyone's b!tching that they got a Version 1 a month ago, at least they have SOMETHING to listen to! I have nothing . I was set to order mine 2 weeks ago, finally ordered it on the 6th (right after he announced the V2.0), been waiting since....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphone Amps (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphone Amps (full-size) › SuperMacro-3 is available with promotion (2XBUF634 for free)