- 279 Posts. Joined 6/2001
- Location: manhattan
- Select All Posts By This User
- productSennheiser HD 600tagged by nightmancometh, 12/2/13
Related Forum Threads
- Can the Audioquest DragonFly Red drive a pair of Sennheiser HD 600's from an iPhone? Last post on 6/17/16 at 4:50pm in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Flattest, Most Neutral IEMs For Recording, Mixing, and Mastering Last post on 1/11/17 at 5:39am in Portable Headphones, Earphones and In-Ear Monitors
- Need A Middle Ground Last post on 6/3/15 at 10:39am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
- Fostex TH500RP Last post on 6/20/16 at 7:40am in Headphones (full-size)
- Repair or replace broken HD600? Last post on 3/11/15 at 10:01am in Introductions, Help and Recommendations
For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual imagesINTRODUCTIONThis is the 2nd pair of IEMs sent to me for evaluation recently by FiiO. You can find my...
Unboxing This package came in an unassuming black box with the branding directly on the front. Opening it reveals the very nice semi-hard case that stores the earphones. Opening the case...
Intro I wanted to start this review off with a Swiss Army knife joke but it looks like several Head-Fiers have already did that so in a futile attempt to be both funny and original I’ll start off...
This is the video review of the Cayin i5 Digital Audio Player. The player has been compared with iDSD Micro BL and Audeze Cypher cable for its sound qualities. Skip to 12 minutes 50 seconds mark...
DISCLAIMER The Empire Ears Zeus-R was purchased during my trip to the Empire Ears office at Buford, Georgia. The Empire Ears team have since moved their operations to their newer and larger...
Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - tubed preamp w/Headroom circuit and headphone jack - Page 2
Gear mentioned in this thread:
|Originally posted by Zebra
Counterpoint supposedly also licensed the technology from Headroom, but I have yet to see any Counterpoint's with it in place.
Line1 SE vs Headroom revisitedwow , what a great search engine. I get an email that someone has (mistakenly) commented to a thread I was part of over 4 years ago! I don't do as much with HeadFi as I should, but I'll do a brief follow-up after looking over all I wrote years ago.
Even though much of the rest of my system has changed, the SFI Line1 has remained, though now much improved -- BB volume control chips, the perfect tube combination, new AC power cord and conditioning, hifi tuning fuse, a full SE factory upgrade of all signal path passive components to the best available, pearl tube coolers, various vibration damping and isolation, etc. And I just recently picked up a 2003 stepped -attenuator Headroom Max now being upgraded with their 2007 Max modules and HEXFRED power supply diodes.
But the Max -- even with its 2003 reference modules -- definitely had the upper hand over the greatly-upgraded Line1 with headphones. Subtle improvements, but consistent. Remember the Line1 headphone amp board is unchanged from its 1997 design, but it's getting a cleaner input signal from the upgraded preamp section. Comparing the Max and Line1 as preamps was more surprising: they sounded damn-near-identical, surprising for any 2 preamps, much less the totally differing design approaches between these two. When I get my Max back next week, it might even sound better
So with all the headphone amps that are available now vs 2002, buying the Line 1/2/3 for headphone duty only would be a monumental waste of space, money and electricity. I still think it remains one of the best designed and flexible preamps out there anywhere near its used price. I often DO listen to headphones with it when I want a more relaxed less clinically revealing music experience than the best headphone amps -- it certainly doesn't suck, but probably any HP amp over $500 will sound better...
To necro this. i just found a SFL-2 in my house, but i cant seem to find a headphone jack. Are they 3pin balanced jacks?
If I remember correctly the SFL-2 doesn't have a headphone output. I think the headphone circuit was one of the added features in the Line series. I had an SFL-1 back in the day which I replaced with a Line-1.
- Sonic Frontiers Line 1 - tubed preamp w/Headroom circuit and headphone jack
- › The Shenzhen Benjie BJ-T6 / AGPtek Rocker 20 seconds ago
- › Looking for the right headphones ($150-$500) 41 seconds ago
- › Empire Ears ADEL - Discussion & Impressions (Formerly EarWerkz) 57 seconds ago
- › WA22 let's roll some tubes (Done Mod, Burnning-in) 1 minute ago
- › JVC HA-FW01 - The New Top End Wood Driver IEM (2017) 2 minutes ago
- › FS: Gold Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse 2 minutes ago
- › Audeze LCD-4 3 minutes ago
- › Little Dot Tube Amps: Vacuum Tube Rolling Guide 3 minutes ago
- › I'm looking for something new. 3 minutes ago
- › Band Name Game II 3 minutes ago
- › FiiO F3 Dynamic In-Ear Monitors by Brooko
- › ADV.Sound EVO X by chompchomps
- › iFi Audio micro iDSD by Yethal
- › Cayin i5 by piksnz
- › Empire Ears Zeus by ejong7
- › Cosmic Ears CE6P by fluffyberry
- › HIFIMAN SuperMini High-Res Portable Player by tenedosian
- › Sennheiser HD 800 S by Dobrescu George
- › Westone W80 Eight-Driver System with Dual Bass, Dual Mid, and Quad... by Koolpep
- › JDS Labs Assembled Objective2 Headphone Amplifier by SoundApprentice
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (Travel Headphones)
- › Head-Fi Buying Guide (CanJams)
- › FiiO X3II DAP firmwares with custom themes
- › Flawless Album Suggestions
- › The Audiophile Scene in a Third World Country...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide,...
- › Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide:...
- › Chord Mojo FAQ
- › Head-Fi Logo Gear