Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The GRADO SR-60 Appreciation Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The GRADO SR-60 Appreciation Thread - Page 8

post #106 of 818
Thanks, Head-Fi. Another impulse buy, another wad of cash down the toilet.

I really need to stop reading these forums!
post #107 of 818
The Grado SR-60's are what got me hooked to headphone audiophilia. Even though I found them a bit peaky in the lower treble, I loved listening to them for a couple years. Then I got Beyer DT-880's and HD-600's and saw (heard) the light. There was so much beyond the SR-60's. The speed and authority of the bass and percussive dynamics of the DT-880... the clarity and transparency of the mids and treble of the HD-600. I knew I couldn't go back to the SR-60's, so I looked for something that could give me what I liked in the DT-880 and the HD-600, but without their flaws... so far the HD-650 is fulfilling that role quite nicely.
post #108 of 818
Well, I finally found a thread to post on after lurking for so long.

I got my SR-60's about 5 years ago. They were my first taste into audiophiledom and I enjoyed every beat. I quickly picked up a amp to augment my new loves. I took my setup everywhere and enjoyed my music all over the college campus.

Six months after I got them, the right can came off the headband at the "R". Two years more and the wire broke free of the driver. At that time, I was unable to replace them and since I was able to be content with just that set of cans, I didn't have any other sets.



So here I am now. An iPod of only a couple months and a serious lack of headwear to compliment it. I was contemplating the purchase of the ER-4p's and I would see if the basic AirHead amp I already have would work. However, I have not missed my old cans more.

Can they be repaired by a guy with little electrician background and no soldering tools. Both leads have come apart from the driver at the solder points and I have broken the cup apart at each glue point. How would I go about restoring my SR-60's? Is it even worth trying with these old cans?
post #109 of 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by appar111
Which Radio Shack pads are they again (which model #?) I have the stock comfys on mine right now, but also use the bowl pads, with a really thin set of Sony pads underneath the bowls (the kind that come on all their stock crappy walkman headphones). that way I can tame a little of the high end, but still retain the airiness of the bowl pads...
Hey, you still lurking on the thread, appar111? Sorry it took so long- I only have a few hours of an open window to use my internet- damn dial-up...
Anyway, the info on those pads is RS# 33-379, they should be around 3$. I find them to feel more comfortable and sound better than stock comfies. Although my 414's are still used for accuracy, they aren't as groovy-they feel a little detached. Perhaps I should listen to the Senn pads more and enjoy their merits...

Hope this thread never dies! when you're down,
Abe
post #110 of 818
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardbop
Well, I finally found a thread to post on after lurking for so long.

I got my SR-60's about 5 years ago. They were my first taste into audiophiledom and I enjoyed every beat. I quickly picked up a amp to augment my new loves. I took my setup everywhere and enjoyed my music all over the college campus.

Six months after I got them, the right can came off the headband at the "R". Two years more and the wire broke free of the driver. At that time, I was unable to replace them and since I was able to be content with just that set of cans, I didn't have any other sets.



So here I am now. An iPod of only a couple months and a serious lack of headwear to compliment it. I was contemplating the purchase of the ER-4p's and I would see if the basic AirHead amp I already have would work. However, I have not missed my old cans more.

Can they be repaired by a guy with little electrician background and no soldering tools. Both leads have come apart from the driver at the solder points and I have broken the cup apart at each glue point. How would I go about restoring my SR-60's? Is it even worth trying with these old cans?

Just contact Grado Labs and tell them how much you love the cans etc. etc. They will probably ask you to send it in and just send you a new one (best case) or repair it for free (worst case).
post #111 of 818
I got my Grado SR-60 cans a few minutes ago. Right away, the stock pads are much more comfortable than the bowl pads, but they aren't as comfortable nor do they sound as good as the Joseph Grado Flat Pads. I'm listening to The Beatles CDP 7 46443 2 on Red Book CD through My All American Reference System now. Everything just sounds so musical, non-fussy, and joyful. I honestly think I made the right decision to trade the Grado SR-80 for the SR-60 because I'm loving the extra comfort and the sound is so similiar that I'd have to sit down and listen critically to a wide variety of reference discs (HDCD, XRCD, DVD-Audio, SA-CD, Red Book CDs) to get the differences. No biggie; these cans were meant for groovin' and not getting all anxious about the sound. I'm very very happy with my decision and the Grado SR-60s. They're keepers.

Next, Grado Professional Series 1 by the end of this year!
post #112 of 818
The SR-60's were my first pair of decent headphones, I appreciate them for getting me started in this hobby
post #113 of 818
Hey. New here. In fact, I registered just so I could participate in the discussion about the SR60s. (Great forum, BTW) After a lot of internet research I placed my order for the SR60s yesterday. These are my first phones over $30 so I had a couple of questions about what I should do right when I get them.
First, should I burn them in before I even listen to them? And if so, how long? 10-12 hours?
Second, is the quarter mod worth doing in the first month, or should I use them awhile before making any decisions on that?
Also, are these usable with mp3s, in that will they expose gross limitations or will they enhance the sound?

Thanks for your patience with a rank n00b.
post #114 of 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by hentai
'Ulitmate Giant Killer' should suit better for sr60,
Totally off topic, hentai, but i think i found a nice pic for you- note the shape of the symbols...




Anyhow, to answer the above, just listen to them right away, and at around 40-50 hours it should tighten up the flab and the bass should get going. As for mods, buy rat shack pads first and do the quarter mod- dont mess up your comfies just yet. some folks can't stand having a hole in their pad because some ears poke through to touch the driver, go figure.
post #115 of 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otic
Hey. New here. In fact, I registered just so I could participate in the discussion about the SR60s. (Great forum, BTW) After a lot of internet research I placed my order for the SR60s yesterday. These are my first phones over $30 so I had a couple of questions about what I should do right when I get them.
First, should I burn them in before I even listen to them? And if so, how long? 10-12 hours?
Second, is the quarter mod worth doing in the first month, or should I use them awhile before making any decisions on that?
Also, are these usable with mp3s, in that will they expose gross limitations or will they enhance the sound?

Thanks for your patience with a rank n00b.
Otic:

Here is what I'm going to do with my Grado SR-60s:

1. Burn them in through normal listening for about 200 hours
2. Enjoy them for a lifetime
3. Perhaps get extra pairs of Joseph Grado Flat Pads after I get the PS-1 from Todd

The stock pads are very very comfortable. The sound is simply musical and thoroughly enjoyable as is. Keep them!
post #116 of 818
I salute all of you who have found nirvana with sr60 and feel no need to upgrade to higher end grado
post #117 of 818

My First Post

Hi everyone, I'm new.

I just tore my new Grado SR80 out of the box an hour ago and have begun burning in. Of course I had to listen right away to hear what all the excitement was about.

Wow, they sure are bright. I'm not going to say shrill before the burn in is done. The detail is as good as I had hoped, but the bass seems disappointing. I will try to adjust for this thru my equalizer and make a new setting for them in iTunes.

They are comfortable so far on my oversized noggen.
One slight concern: they are not too loud when playing out of the headphone port on my computer with the volume maxed out. Loud enough for everyday, extended listening, but certainly not booming. So I guess I don't need to worry about them causing hearing loss.

There are plenty of tests I need to do before I pass ultimate judgment, but for now I'm pretty happy. So far, so good.

-Brainiac
post #118 of 818
now i'm stuck again...
post #119 of 818
nooooo don't buy the SR-60's!!! The RS-1's are much better! (yes they are worth it!)
post #120 of 818
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike33
I salute all of you who have found nirvana with sr60 and feel no need to upgrade to higher end grado
yeah that was a close call. Who knows what could of happened
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Headphones (full-size)
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Headphones (full-size) › The GRADO SR-60 Appreciation Thread