Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Websites with Zen Micro altoids case instructions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Websites with Zen Micro altoids case instructions? - Page 4

post #46 of 255
Thanks for pointing to the penguin case. Just ordered one off ebay for £3.00 since I can't find any anywhere.
post #47 of 255
snukster, I found the Penguin tin at Fry's in Plano, TX. A computer gearhead joint is the appropriate place for caffeinated mints. I showed the back of the tin since there is a number to call if you are confused.
post #48 of 255
How did you cut the altoid case for the micro with sciscors?
I can't cut them with sicsors but the top part where it's curled won't cut through. How did you guys do it with sicsors?
post #49 of 255
BTW - for all the paint-scraping altoid tin artists, plain tins are available, and they're cheap. Eighty cents apiece here
http://www.clayalley.com/tins.htm

You can also have custom tins printed in small batches at tons of wedding supply sites. Head-fi tin, anyone?
post #50 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatchermom
BTW - for all the paint-scraping altoid tin artists, plain tins are available, and they're cheap. Eighty cents apiece here
http://www.clayalley.com/tins.htm

You can also have custom tins printed in small batches at tons of wedding supply sites. Head-fi tin, anyone?
wow thanks thatch!
post #51 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatchermom
BTW - for all the paint-scraping altoid tin artists, plain tins are available, and they're cheap. Eighty cents apiece here
http://www.clayalley.com/tins.htm

You can also have custom tins printed in small batches at tons of wedding supply sites. Head-fi tin, anyone?
how can i get the tins custom printed? dam the shipping is what kills it. Tin=0.80$ Shipping = 7.45$ thats about a 930% difference.
post #52 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone
how can i get the tins custom printed? dam the shipping is what kills it. Tin=0.80$ Shipping = 7.45$ thats about a 930% difference.
micro-owner tin goup buy time
post #53 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmmmmm
micro-owner tin goup buy time
seconded.
post #54 of 255
I just buy some mints at a store.....and eat all the mints. Voila there`s my tin.
you can see the pictures at my blog....
post #55 of 255

EBAY - ATTN: ANTY

Hey Anty,
Just thought you might like to know that someone is selling aluminum cans on ebay with a picture of the case you made as an example of how it can be turned into a zen micro case.

Here's the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...170890706&rd=1

You should ask for commission!
post #56 of 255

Spray Painted Velcro Style!

So I stole everyone's great idea...started scratching on my altoids can and realized that was b.s.! So I primed it and painted it. I have a red and a blue one, blue is pictured. I cut out the slot for the audio/usb cables using tin snips (don't have a dremel). I did something a little different though and bought some velcro from Home Depot to line the interior case. About three strips of velcro (with a sticky bottom, making sure to use the fluffy loops part, not the hooks as the outer layer) made sure that the Zen Micro fits SNUG and isn't going ANYWHERE when slid into the altoids case. PLUS, the tight fit combined with the velcro strips reinforce the tin AND make sure the lid fits TIGHT. I need to cover the top with a transparency and I'm all set!

http://www.adgloriam.net/altoid1.jpg
http://www.adgloriam.net/altoid2.jpg
http://www.adgloriam.net/altoid3.jpg
http://www.adgloriam.net/altoid5.jpg
post #57 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilicide
So I stole everyone's great idea...started scratching on my altoids can and realized that was b.s.! So I primed it and painted it. I have a red and a blue one, blue is pictured. I cut out the slot for the audio/usb cables using tin snips (don't have a dremel). I did something a little different though and bought some velcro from Home Depot to line the interior case. About three strips of velcro (with a sticky bottom, making sure to use the fluffy loops part, not the hooks as the outer layer) made sure that the Zen Micro fits SNUG and isn't going ANYWHERE when slid into the altoids case. PLUS, the tight fit combined with the velcro strips reinforce the tin AND make sure the lid fits TIGHT. I need to cover the top with a transparency and I'm all set!

http://www.adgloriam.net/altoid1.jpg
http://www.adgloriam.net/altoid2.jpg
http://www.adgloriam.net/altoid3.jpg
http://www.adgloriam.net/altoid5.jpg
Cool man, i thought about repainting mine but i was half way through scraping off all of my paint so i decided to just carry on. i'm confused though dont tell me that you velcro'd your micro to an altoids tin. is it actually stuck there? or are you just using the soft side of the velcro to use as padding.

PS. velcro is a good fit for the inside but i realized that electrical tape is the PERFECT width to use on an altoids tin too. it works great as an anti-scratch tool inside and out and is probably more readily available.
post #58 of 255
How the helld you guys make those perfect cuts for the headphones? I tried scissors and screw driver, but just ended up screwing up the tin. Also, I used that microfiber stuff that's used to clean glasses, and it works well.
post #59 of 255

Velcro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone
Cool man, i thought about repainting mine but i was half way through scraping off all of my paint so i decided to just carry on. i'm confused though dont tell me that you velcro'd your micro to an altoids tin. is it actually stuck there? or are you just using the soft side of the velcro to use as padding.

PS. velcro is a good fit for the inside but i realized that electrical tape is the PERFECT width to use on an altoids tin too. it works great as an anti-scratch tool inside and out and is probably more readily available.

Haha - no, I didn't Velcro it *to* the altoids tin. Try and picture this...I bought the Velcro strips that come separate...so you have a strip that is sticky on one side, loops on the other. Another strip is sticky on one side, hooks on the other. Start with the sticky side of a loops strip down on the altoids tin, line all the way around the tin. Then sticky side of the hooks all the way around. Then one more row (third pass) of sticky side down hoops so that the fuzzy stuff (hoops) lines the entire case all the way around. The zen fits in PERFECT and is like a Dairy Queen Blizzard...turn it upside down and it isn't falling out!

Obviously this depends on the *type* of Velcro you use...I just bought the regular, black, run of the mill type from home depot that came in strips. it was the perfect height to line the case and provides great padding. I"ll have new pics up soon with better lighting!
post #60 of 255
Quote:
How the helld you guys make those perfect cuts for the headphones?
I used a 1/16 inch drill along with a lot of patience (on a rainy day) and drilled all around inside my desired cutout marked on masking tape, clipped between with small wire cutters, and filed it smooth. A dremel would be much easier.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Portable Source Gear
Head-Fi.org › Forums › Equipment Forums › Portable Source Gear › Websites with Zen Micro altoids case instructions?