Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Dedicated Source Components › DACs › Yulong Sabre D18 › Yulong Sabre D18 Reviews

Yulong Sabre D18 Reviews

Showing 6 5-star reviews (see all 8 reviews)

JohnsTO

Great value for the money

Pros: Crisp and Clear

Cons: None yet

I had an entry level Arcam rPac and was impressed with how it made my music listenable again ;-) Needless to say within the month I was looking at the next level of performance but set a $1000 threshold for my next Dac. From what I could tell, coax S/PDIF & Balanced outputs delivered the best sound in most setups. I researched similar Dacs for several months and considered the more mainstream units but eventually leaned toward vendors that had less features, accessories and marketing and more investment in the sound of the unit. For instance, do I really need a remote control for the Dac at my desk? A Led readout that never changes? In the end I...
Mynaim

just superb Yulong D18

Pros: transparent, timbre, image

Cons: no usb

it has details (transparent), beautiful image, very nice timbre, strong bass, subtile high xlr outputs     not my first dac and far from it (previously a naim dac), possibly the last
slau104

Nicely build quality and good sound for the money

Pros: Reasonable price, better than expect sound & product quality.

Cons: Lack of USB input & the red LED is too bright

The D18 is my first exposure to the Yulong product. Both the sound and build quality of this DAC exceed my expectation,which gives me so much confidence in the Yulong product. Consequently I purchased the U18 so that I can use the USB of my MacBook Pro as the music source source. Now, I am quite happy with my little set up, which do not cost me an arm and a leg like similar products. May do more business with Yulong in the future.
Jamesdeandoa

This is a Really Nice Dac

Pros: Nice construction, amazing sound, great value pricepoint

Cons: honestly I find none yet, I do not use usb but there is no usb

This exceeded my already high expectations.  I ran this from my macbook with the optical cable, used my Matrix M Stage and Yulong A18, even my Ibasso D12 as my amp choices.   I use HD 650 and 598's with this unit.   Not much of a review but if you have questions I will gladly answer as best I can.
project86

Sabre DAC with a warm, tube-like sound

Pros: Fuses the usual strengths of the ES9018 DAC with a warmer, smoother tone than most - perfect for people who love vinyl or tube gear

Cons: Lack of USB could be a big deal for some

When it comes to DACs, many people have the misconception that the actual chip used for D/A conversion is the only thing that really matters. That makes about as much sense as saying the drivers in a speaker are all-important, and the crossover/enclosure don’t matter much. When we put it in those terms it sounds like nonsense. Yet this thinking persists in the realm of D/A conversion. Experience has shown that you can have an excellent sounding DAC using a fairly basic DAC chip. Likewise, you can have a DAC that sounds unimpressive, even though it may use the latest/greatest chip (or even several of those chips). The total overall...