Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Yamaha HPH-MT220BL

Yamaha HPH-MT220BL

Rated #194 in Over-Ear

Pros: bass, detail, comfort, swappable pads, balanced tuning.

Cons: No detachable cable, case or pouch, needs burn in.

YAMAMAHA HPH-MT220 REVIEW

preface: People can become fans of a product and get scared to be honest but I can honestly stand by the impressions below without wavering.  Other reviews I have posted are not as in depth for a reason as I feel this one worthy of full coverage(not that I am a good reviewer or anything... just saying).

OVERVIEW:

They are accurate for professional use with enough low end to please most. I don't use eq with these ever!

The thing about these headphones is that they are tuned for "modern studio applications". As we all know, modern music calls for bass. These are not bass monsters but the bass response is awesome!! If making or mixing EDM, these will translate very well to the speaker monitors given that the monitors reach as low as these. The tuning reflects what is on the recording. They also do good with everything I have thrown at them. I literally get goose bumps sometimes and they shock me. I stepped outside of my personal music genre favorites and get floored with my jaw slightly hanging. They become very clear/transparent after burn in and hold nothing back from you without the covering up of poorly recorded vocals. The mt220 will reveal to you the crappy mics some artists may have used as an accurate window into the recording while staying delightfully enjoyable.

Dark sources on these are okay but neutral sources imo help you see its balance. I used to be a mid range lover and still am but prefer balance and that is what these have. Though they have a little more energy in the treble, I can honestly say nothing is recessed. They have a bite to them at first that makes it seem like you are getting rushed with detail and crispy instruments. The slightly murky lower mids clear up after burn in. Compared to a Pioneer hdj 2000 these are way more transparent right out of the box. I just had slight issues with the lower mids at times pre burn in. Now that is non existent.  If you don't believe in burn in like I didn't then these will prove it to you if you give them time. I have never heard a headphone go through so many changes as these. Now I can say that mine are completely burned in and I still can't put them down.

SPECIFIC QUALITES:

- Pad swapping/rolling is a synch with many options

- Not genre specific

- Kind of raw sounding

- Awesome tuning on the headphones

- Scalable (amping is suggested but not needed at all)

- Balanced sound that is awesome for reference purposes
- Revealing of bad recordings

- Revealing of equipment signatures and quality

- The bass doesn't make all songs sound bass heavy and is moderately textured and will satisfy the bass hungry

- Bass slams when it needs to and extends low

- Great attack

- Mids are not recessed or too forward

- highs are clear and not rolled off

- decent soundstage as well but not artificial with accurately sized instruments

- barely any mid bass hump with little to no booming into the mids

- sturdy build

- handles power easily

- little distortion

- little sibilance

- sound improves as you listen

SPECIFIC FLAWS:

- pre-burn in lacks some transparency in the lower mids

- lacks isolation

- stock pads are shallow

- no detachable cord

- little accessories (I need to try the cd it comes with)

- can be unforgiving

FR GRAPH:

(this is from personalaudio.ru I dont even know if I picked the right one but its the only one site I could find)

AMPING/SOURCING:

These don't need an amp to sound good but an amp definitely helps especially for portable uses. The fiio x3 and plain ipod leaves me a bit unsatisfied. When I plug them into my iMac they actually shine. They will tell you exactly what your source sounds like so just choose wisely. I suggest something with a tight low end(no need for bass boost), detailed sound, and average or above average soundstage and these will reward you greatly. They don't need anything to add to it basically but just an amp/source that won't take away what it has already because it can be easily held back.

- JDS Labs ODAC and Schiit Vali : The combo is smoothing them out slightly but helping the soundstage and adding a little air. The drums, instrument attacks, bass thumps, and kicks are being a little rounded off with these two.  So this combo is allowing its soundstage to breathe as well and lower level noises are more easily focused on. I immediately missed the edge of these on first impression, but now I appreciate how refined these have become with this combo. The combo has also given better instrument separation and detail. It makes for a sweet listen on some songs and others slightly more dull. That being said the Yamaha can never be dull to me and it would take a lot to make them boring. Overall its a good match.

- The Fiio X3: restricted the soundstage, darkened the headphones, made them less engaging than the Vali and ODAC, added bass warmth(which was not needed), and made the mids less clear. I think that is just how the x3 sounds on its own. I am making the x3 sound worse than it really is but imo I think these will do great on a better and more neutral source and I felt the fiio was holding them back. I respect the x3 though as it paired really well with the k545 and gave it the warmth and push it needed.

- The Nuforce ICON DAC: Great match however not only is the natural punch, dynamics, clarity and raw sound of these headphones back but a bit enhanced and a tad bright. The Nuforce takes away nothing from what the headphone has to offer. I would however like to use it with another tube amp because the Nuforce alone is a bit bright and turns from neutral to slightly bright but with full mids and deep bass. So far this is the best. The Vali with the DAC section of the Nuforce also makes a good match and places things almost right where they should be but not a huge difference from the Nuforce ICON DAC all by itself using both the dac and amp sections.

HEADPHONE BUILD/AESTHETICS:

They look great in person and are light and comfortable with the pads enveloping the ears. I would definitely not call these lifestyle headphones though and in public you will look like you walked out of a studio. They do however look great in the studio or home next to an iMac,PC, or laptop<<<all in my opinion of course.

The chord is coiled closer to the jack which has a very heavy duty screw on adapter that is only usable with the Yamaha.  Where the cord goes in to the jack is a spring protector to prevent the end from breaking. They are made with a very sturdy plastic and like most headphones have the metal inside of the headband encased in this plastic. The driver housing is plastic as well with a brushed metal plate around the driver compartment.

The cushion on the headband is thin but wide and is fairly comfortable. My ears fit in the pads with the inside opening measuring 6.25 cm top to bottom and 4.5 cm left to right

Though they are not the most comfortable headphones I have worn, they do have minimal clamping pressure and seem to have more of a universal fit. I can't picture to many people complaining about the fit of these.

HEADPHONE COMPARISONS:

THIS DOES NOT MEAN THE FOLLOWING DONT HAVE ITS THINGS IT DOES BETTER THAN THE YAMAHA OR THAT THE YAMAHA IS BETTER. These are distinctive things the yamaha does better in my opinion and from memory. I remember still preferring the ZMF modded fostex over all of these in preference (not technicalities) so its not included.

*close contenders

____AKG k545 (yamaha = stronger bass, more depth, better transient response, less restrained/more forward and energetic, better lower mids,  more natural timbres, more accurate, less gentle, less treble emphasis)

____*Sony mdr 7520(yamaha = smoother, wider soundstage, more sub bass, less midbass hump, more neutral mids (slightly less mids) and balanced highs(sony slightly darker), more treble, less thick, stronger attack)

____Sennheiser Momentum ( yamaha =  larger soundstage, tighter bass, more detailed, better instrument separation, more accurate of the mix, slightly more bright, more transparent)

____Philips L1 (yamaha =  less flabby, more controlled, larger instruments, more forward, more detailed, better resolution, similar balance, better attack, more transparent)

____AKG K550 (yamaha = more natural timbre, more accurate of the mix, more bass, fuller but neutral mids so basically not recessed, less bright, smaller soundstage, better attack, more body and weight more forward, more snap)

____Denon AH-D2000 (yamaha = less boomy in bass but similar impact, more mids, less grain, more transparent, weightier/more organic sound, smoother)

____German maestro 8.35 d (its been a while, but yamaha = more bass, very similar balance, less fatiguing,less sibilant, better details and instrument separation)

____Beyerdynamic COP(yamaha = tighter bass, less bright, less air, fuller/weightier notes, better resolution, better instrument separation)

____Beyerdynamic dt 770(yamaha = better depth, fuller/weightier sound, stronger mids, less bright, stronger impact/attack/slam, more refined, better details, better instrument separation)

____JVC DX700(yamaha = better attack and punch, faster, similar bass quality, less bass, less soft and smoothed over, more treble, more balanced, less dark, less genre/song specific, less cavernous)

*The YAMAHA GETS BETTER AND BETTER and after burn in bests the above even in technicalities the close runner up is the Sony that has better bass resolution (the best out of all of them) similar sub bass quantity, s stronger build, faster, drier/less wet and only a little less highs.

PADS:

hope to try more later. maybe --- 1540 shure pads.

Mr Speakers Alpha pads:

- add comfort

- improve soundstage depth

- smooth the sound out and make them slightly darker

- increase bass quality

Pros: Crystal clear sound

Cons: No hard case

Hi guys,

I spent several hours (more than 40 hours research) to find the best headphone for my budget (under AUD $200). I tried to read as many reviews (mainly the 1-2 stars) as I could to know well-known issues with particular headphones and after spending hours on this, I recognised that I cannot buy an over-ear headphone without trying it in a local shop. Reviewers complain all the time about comfort like "I can't wear it for more than an hour", etc., so this is the best advice that I can give to you: Go to the local shops, test the headphones, choose one, go online and buy it OR go back to the local store and buy it there.
Unfortunately headphones die usually after 1,5-2 years usage nowadays (probably by purpose) and manufacturer usually provides 1 year warranty for their products (Sennheiser offers 2 years).

I'm not an audiophile. I had cheap $10 headphones for my computer and portable devices previously. I decided to step up to a higher lever 2 years ago. I researched the best headphones under $50 and after consideration, I ordered the Koss PortaPro that satisfied my needs that time. It showed me some sounds that I have never recognised in my favourite songs before. This headphone is fold-able, the cable is so tiny and well, I tore it in an awkward moment recently. So it was time to replace it.

I liked the PortaPro but after this incident, I realised that I need something more durable with a better build quality. I started my research and thought that I can order my next headphone online as I did with the PortaPro. As I mentioned earlier, I found that it will not work. So I went to JB Hifi because this is one of the places where you can test some headphones. The problem with places like JB is that, although they have display panels, not all headphones are displayed and the songs that you can listen are given (sometimes the test songs manufactured to the particular headphone so be aware of it). Thus, you can't listen to and test with your favourite songs. That's not a good thing because headphones are like foods: some people like hot dishes, others like mild and we talk about the same category: spicy food. So when people say that "the bass is not enough" it's not enough for them, it might be perfect for you.

I was lucky to find one shop assistant who opened the display panel for me at JB Hifi and allowed me to listen to songs that I like. I was considering the Sennheiser HD 429, HD 439, and HD 280 Pro that time. I liked the sound of the Sennheiser Momentum but it wasn't in my price range and the tiny cable between the can and the head cushion reminded me my accident with the PortaPro. As many reviewers stated the HD 280 Pro had the best sound out of the three but it just squeezed my head after 5 minutes of wearing it. I use a headphone several hours a day (mainly for music, movies and during work) so I decided not to take this headphone. I tried the Sony MDR1A that was comfy but the price was too high.

Online reviewers always mention Audio Technica M50x and how good is it but to be frank, you can't rely on reading reviews, you need to listen music on the headphones. Luckily I found one audio shop nearby where I could test this model. I tested it twice. I went to the shop first time and tried to test this headphone with the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X, the Yamaha HPH200 and the Yamaha HPH-MT220. But they didn't have the Yamahas so I tested the Audio-Technicas. The original price tag on the AD900X was $350 (I could get it for $200 because it was on special) but after listening to the M50x (that was $200 as well) I didn't understand why it was more expensive. The M50x sounded better, at least for me. I asked the shop assistant to get me the Yamaha for a test and they did. It was in the shop next day because one of the guys (from the shop) had it. I'd like to say thank you for him to bring this headphone to the store and give me an opportunity to test it.

So I went back and tested the M50x and the MT220 on my ipod shuffle and my android phone and believe me, you don't need amplifier for these headphones. They worked perfectly on these devices without any issues. Of course, I needed to increase the volume around 25-40% compare to my PortaPro but that's it.

Let's clarify this first: both of them are excellent. Seriously.

The following review is based on my ears, I'm not an audiophile so please forgive me if I don't use special words or enough critic like "the bass is not enough", "the high is not accurate enough", etc. I will describe my findings in plain English. (For audiophiles, I will ask my musician friend to test the MT220 and will publish his findings.)

As I mentioned earlier, both of them superb but after 1 hour testing with a wide variety of songs, I found some slight differences such as
- M50x is more colourful in sound, it mainly enhances the vocal and leave the instruments in the background
- MT220 is equal in sound (the instruments are in the same level with the vocal) and it gives you the quality and the clear sound of the recording

I mainly could not "fly" (enjoy the music with closed eyes) with most of the songs by listening to the Yamaha. I'd use it during work (software development) so I prefer not do this smily_headphones1.gif But with some songs like Angus & Julia Stone - Big Jet Plane, I was in the music. I saw the instruments playing, it was unbelievable. Before any conjecture: I never used narcotics so if you though that I was high during this test - forget about it smily_headphones1.gif

The other difference that I recognised between the M50x and the MT220 was that when I listened to Eagles - Hotel California, I have never ever heard the sound of the airplane in the beginning of the song - from 0:20 to 0:32 (Note: I had this song in MP3 format and it was hardly noticeable). I heard it on the MT220 first so when I listened to this song on the M50x, I was already concentrating on this sound and well, it faded! I heard it in the background but wasn't as clear as on the Yamaha and I would probably not paying attention to this slight background sound, if I didn't know that this sound was an airplane. Also, the MT220 got so punchy in one song (sorry, not sure which rock song was it) and I didn't recognised this with the M50x.

The isolation is almost the same. I heard in low volume that people are around me with both of the headphones but I couldn't understand what they say.
UPDATE: I took the MT220 to work and well there wasn't any sound leakage on Volume 80 (normal sound card of a desktop). Just to clarify: our office is really silent so you can hear anything and my colleague, who sit next to me within a meter, couldn't hear my music. I tested the sound leakage of the MT220 at home with my musician friend and on volume 80 (with DFX Audio Enhancer + max Winamp volume on my laptop) I could hear nicely what song was playing. But without enhancement on normal volume (30) it isolated the sound nicely. On the other hand, with very low volume you can hear the noises of the environment. On volume 30, I could still hear a few noises (basically the songs' default volume aren't the same) but it wasn't disturbing at all. One time, my boss came to my desk and talk to me from 50cm (side way) and I didn't recognised that he was there. So it does the job but the MT220 is not a noise cancellation headphone so don't expect that.

In the shop, the MT220 had a $249 price tag but after talking to the shop assistant he offered it for $220 meanwhile the M50X was $200. I spent around 2 hours testing the headphones in the shop and if I could I would buy both of them. Unfortunately it's not the case, I had to consider other factors such as portability. The M50x is fold-able, has detachable cables so it's better for travelling but the MT220 is mainly for studio purpose so the fixed cable should not be an issue. Bear in mind, when a headphone has extra features (such as volume control and detachable cable) more things can be wrong. Although, I like the secure jack solution (plug in and turn) of the M50x.

UPDATE: With a proper case, portability and transportation is not an issue of the MT220. It's a bit bigger case (compare to the M50x's) but doesn't make much difference. Perfectly fit to my backpack or messenger bag.

I found that the M50x was more stable on my ear so it fit well meanwhile the MT220 was a bit big (by covering my ear with a little extra room on the sides) but very comfortable. I spent couple of hours to make my decision and finally bought the MT220. I loved both headphones.

UPDATE: I've used the MT220 for almost 2 months (at least 6 hours daily on workdays) and it's extremely comfortable. It can be hot after a while (3-4 hours) but if you remove it for 10-15 seconds and put it back, it will be perfect again (unfortunately, this is unavoidable in case of over-ear headphones). The built quality of the MT220 is superb, it has plenty of screws so if you need to change something on this headphone - that I doubt - you can easily do it. It doesn't have a detachable cable so there is no change that the socket will wear out.

UPDATE: Yamaha doesn't provide a hard case for the MT220 but I found a general headphone case (20x18x9cm) that's perfect for it.

Be aware that this review is not complete, I will update it time-by-time (last update: 22 March 2015) to provide a fulfilled review on this headphone. smily_headphones1.gif
Yamaha HPH-MT220BL
By:

Clear, accurate sound. Elegant, beautifully simple. Created for creators, designed for your masterpieces. Over ear studio reference headphones. Headphones / Earphones Design Over-ear, closed Driver Type Dynamic Driver Unit Φ45 mm (1-3/4”) Impedance 37 ohms Maximum Input 1,600 mw Sound Pressure Level 99 dB ±3.5 dB Frequency Response 15 Hz – 28 kHz Weight (with Cable) 415 g (914.9 lbs) Cable Length 1.2 m (47-1/4”) curl cord Connectors 3.5 mm (1/8”) stereo, 6.3 mm (1/4”) stereo High-resolution sound for modern recording Every element of these high-quality headphones have been designed to suit the modern recording environment. They provide faithful, accurate reproduction of high-bit, all-digital sound, with less noise. Specifically, the speaker drivers utilize a CCAW (copper clad aluminum wire) voice coil. This combination of aluminum wiring coated with copper features exceptionally good conductivity and light weight, reproducing high-resolution sound with maximum clarity over the full frequency range. Simply beautiful Elegantly functional The HPH-MT220 is a model of simplicity and elegance, offering clean design where nothing is wasted, and exceptional functionality where all elements combine to provide faithful, high-quality monitoring of demanding digital sound sources. Its housing has a rounded-rectangular shape that is large enough to completely cover your ears, yet are easy to handle and feel just right. Along with the beautiful two-tone contrast, the HPH-MT220 in particular has an aluminum hairline finish, giving the surface a luxurious texture. The appearance complements the sturdy construction and modern design—a perfect match for today’s recording environment. Suitable for long use without fatigue Comfortable fit for extended sessions The sturdy three-dimensional arms pivot, allowing you to adjust the slope depending on the angle of rotation. Along with the careful adjustment we’ve made to the arms’ lateral pressure, this lets the earpads securely yet comfortably fit along the shape of your head. The housings can also be rotated freely, allowing you to invert one cup and monitor in just one ear if desired. Ergonomic memory foam ear cushions with ultra-soft covering On the HPH-MT220, the outer earpad coverings are made of synthetic protein leatherette, a material that retains moisture and has skin-like smoothness, while the special, low-repulsion cushions fit your ears perfectly for high sound insulation. Altogether, with the ingeniously designed shape and slant, these elements combine to provide the most comfortable fit and highest quality sound.

BindingElectronics