Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › Over-Ear › Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black)

Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black)

Rated #204 in Over-Ear

Pros: Great Sound stage, Extended and thumping Bass, very light clamping on the head, very comfortable

Cons: Velour pads may be itchy at first

Amazing Headphone!  I got this from a deal which only costed me $60 including shipping.  What a steal!

Intro:

I'm a uni student and is very interested in audio and headphones.  I currently own the ATH-M50 and the Focal Spirit One which both I enjoy a lot.  However, in receiving my HPH-200, I found myself picking up less of my other two headphones.

Build Quality:

The build of the HPH-200 is not bad at all, however it is not as nice to look at as the M50 or the Spirit Ones.  The construction is rigid and doesn't seem to make any cracking noise as i stretch the headband which I sometimes can find on my M50s.

Comfort:

This headphone is very comfortable, light on the ears and the velour pad have some nice soft padding.  The velour pad can get itchy at first, but I found myself quickly adapting to it and does not feel a thing now after 2 weeks of use.

Sound Quality:

I pair the HPH-200 with my AUNE T1 DAC/Amp and play flac, wav or ape from the mac pro.  I love to listen to jazz and i think in my opinion the HPH-200 is very capable in this area and much more enjoyable than the M50 and Spirit One.

Bass:

HPH-200 got some very good bass, well extended, goes very deep and has a nice powerful thump to it which I have not heard before.  It is not muddy at all and does not get in the way of the mids and vocals.

Mids:

The vocal sounded a bit far away at first when the headphone was not burnt in.  One thing to note is that these headphones really needs to burn it as I found dramatic changes.  At first the mid sounded very cold and does not make the vocal appear.  However after about a week of listening, the vocal really shines and, but I still think it is not forward sounding as is the M50.  Also, I found listening in complete isolation makes a lot of difference and I was able to listen to a lot of small details in tracks.

Highs:

One thing I can say is that it is not fatiguing unlike the M50.

Sound Stage:

Wow!  The sound stage is phenomenal!  It has a very wide sound stage, instruments are separated very clearly.  The depth is there but to me was not the wow factor.  Lastly, the height, i didn't even know it could exist in headphones.

Overall:

I am not an audiophile, but I reviewed this completely in my honest opinion.  For the money, this headphone is unbeatable!  For anyone who wants to try out open air headphones, but does not want to pay the premium price, this headphone is the way to go! 10/10!

Pros: Generously extended bass for an open can, good detail, good soundstage, I forget it is on my head (velour), portable.

Cons: Can sound veiled or heavy if you come from bright headphones, jack of all trades (master of none).

My audio chain is MP3@320 or FLAC > HiFimeDIY USB Isolator > HiFimeDIY Sabre U2 > Fiio 6" cable > Objective2 w/ 16v 400mA adapter > HPH-200.

If you are looking for a ~$100 on ear open can that has detailed but punchy bass (a rarity), a nice soundstage (nothing to rant about), and a well tuned mid-high range these are your best bet. They will probably pair best with a neutral or cold amplifier... Otherwise I think the bass could be unbalanced. It doesn't seem to bleed into the mids. Sibilance only shows up if it is not dealt with by the musician's mixing team.

The HPH-200 can handle pretty much every genre acceptably. Their utility keeps them from excelling at particular things... though the bass can get that crunchy edge for low electric guitar tunings and electronic music.

Comfort with the HPH-200 is good - velour! It beats the tar out of similar on ear headphones (hem, Grado).

The closest comparison I have is a Grado SR80i, which makes some vocals more smooth/lush at the expense of bass response and comfort. I'd pick the HPH-200 over the SR80i for everything that isn't all about vocals.

Buy it if you can.

Yamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black)
By:

Made to Yamaha's High Quality Standards --- As a leading musical instrument manufacturer, Yamaha combines rich experience with a strong focus on musical quality. Now Yamaha has used its expertise to create superior monitor headphones. Paying particular attention to the configuration of the drive unit and housing, as well as the earpad assembly, Yamaha designed the HPH-200 to deliver highly detailed instrumental music with precisely faithful sound reproduction. --- Open-Air Design for Natural Sound and Long Use without Listening Fatigue --- The HPH-200 is an open-air type with a metallic grill for the housing, providing optimum monitor performance with an appropriate amount of sound dispersion so that listening fatigue will not be a problem even after long hours of use. In addition, because they are non-airtight so surrounding sounds are audible, these headphones are ideal for use when playing with another instrument or even in group sessions. --- The large 1-5/8" driver uses a powerful magnet. It delivers wide dynamic range and deep bass, so both vocals and musical instruments are reproduced with an energetic and lively sound. --- The soft velour-like earpad provides a pleasant feeling, extremely comfortable fit. Additionally, because the earpad affects sound quality, its material and shape have been carefully chosen to match the headphone unit, ensuring both maximum comfort and optimum sound quality.

BindingElectronics
BrandYamaha
EAN4957812490931
Feature1.2m (47-1/4") cord is ideal for portable music players and electronic music instruments
LabelYAMAHA
Product GroupCE
Product Type NameHEADPHONES
PublisherYAMAHA
StudioYAMAHA
TitleYamaha HPH-200 Headphone (Black)
SKUYA10157