Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone

Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone

Rated #21 in Universal Fit

Pros: Excellent sound quality, bass, separation

Cons: Uncomfortable eartips, durability

This is my second pair of EPH-100s. I purchased my first pair in the beginning of 2012 some while after they became a FOTM here on Head-fi. Strangely enough I would have thought that they would have increased in price with the popularity these have, but I got the second pair for $15 less than the first pair I bought. The first pair survived a lot of hours of music at work, but the housings were starting to fall apart. The tips have also become very uncomfortable and I thought it was about overdue to get a second pair.

Listening to the replacement set I was immediately smitten with these all over again. What a bargain for the sound quality on offer! I can't think of any headphone that I've listened to that offers even remotely close to the amount of bang for the buck that these do. In some ways I like them more than the Westone 4s I had previously. The W4s are obviously more detailed and neutral, but these have a certain fun factor and they sound great with modern music and anything electronic. The dynamic drivers also convey a lot of impact which contributes to the fun factor of bass heavy music.

Pros:

Excellent sound quality, great bass, very good separation and imaging in the mid range, smooth sounding, very good isolation. I was wearing these while sitting close to a couple of 5-axis CNC routers and these isolated the noise very well.

Cons:

The housings on my first pair fell apart after a year and half's usage. Difficult to get the tips off if you wish to swap them. the ear tips become uncomfortable with extended listening. They also seem to lose some of their flex as they become older. Treble is a bit non descript, but adequate.

Pros: Sound is clear and crisp, great sub-bass response

Cons: Cable is not the best

Bought these two months ago, and they are my favorite IEM to date. One thing to note is that I did indeed get the condensation problem. It has only happened a handful of times, and has completely cured up, but it is something to be aware of. I had to dock a half star from the Design rating because of this issue. They're still my favorite IEMs, though. I might have some funny ear canals too, as most people never got the problem.

For me, personally, these trump the GR07, SE215, and MC5/3/2. I always recommend that you do your own testing. For example, many people may find the GR07 to be on par or slightly better, whereas I found the EPH-100 to be much better. I'm chalking it up to my ear canals. More (rambling) thoughts here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/577712/yamaha-eph-100/3030.

EDIT:

From a review I also wrote on the Yamaha site:

Some excerpts from my rambling:

First, the comparison against the GR07:

The guitar in "Collide" sounds muffled or dampened on the GR07. Similar effect in "Under My Bed" by Meiko - the intro sounds much clearer on the Yams. The guitar intro in Michelle Branch's "Breathe" is markedly cleaner on the Yams. And when the vocal lines come in, they again sound sharper on the Yams. So on and so forth for other songs. After adding in my EP-630 into the testing, the GR07 is not as noticeably clearer than the EP-630 as the EPH is. Especially for The Duhk's "The Wagoner's Lad", which I have in .flac, the EPH is by far the sharpest, followed by the GR07, and then finally the EP-630.

Did another long A/Bing session today, and the Yams are the clear winner. Retested "Collide" and "Cosas Que Suenan A..." numerous times, which really showed how much better guitars sound on the Yams. I also A/Bed the Feed Me remix of Robyn's "Call Your Girlfriend." The Yams again sounded clearer, this time on both the snares and the electronic synth notes. I felt the sub-bass was better on the Yams as well - when the bass line comes in I get a much more visceral feeling when I'm wearing the Yams. I also A/Bed the instrumental version of Radiohead's "High & Dry", and the guitar is more clear and crisp on the Yams.

And another excerpt of some of my thoughts of the EPH-100 against a pretty hyped up product, the Sony MH1C:

The EPH-100s sound clearer than the MH1Cs. From the songs I've A/Bed so far, guitars and vocals sound slightly better on the Yams and there seems to be a sense of overall improved clarity on the Yams. When a slew of instruments enter the mix ("Por El Miedo A Equivocarnos", ~35 sec in and ~2:40 in; "Entertain The Pain", ~50 sec in) however, the difference becomes much more noticeable. The MH1Cs become congested while the Yams keep everything separated and clear. In addition, the Yams are less fatiguing, which I noticed after many, many repeats of sections of several songs, over and over. The MH1Cs sound harsher ("Por El Miedo A Equivocarnos" ~2:40 in, especially) and its inability to keep all the instruments from running over each other contributes a bit to this as well.

Only two cons. First, I got this condensation problem after extended periods of listening (maybe >5 hours or so), which would dampen one side of the earphones. This problem has only happened a handful of times, and has always resolved itself by simple drying. I'm listening to the EPH-100 right now, and loving it. This not a dealbreaker at all (especially since most people never get this problem, I think I have slightly wonky ear canals, but that's another story), and even considering this I put the Yams above the GR07, Shure SE215, and the Mtymotic MC2/3/5.

The second con is barely worth a mention, but it's that the cable is not amazing. The GR07 has undoubtedly a better cable. The MH1C, on the other hand, has a godawful cable. The Yams' cables have never bothered me - I never even thought of them as a con, until some other people pointed it out and I thought, "Hum, I guess the cable's not the best."

At the end of the day, these IEMs are absolutely phenomenal, and I'd buy them again in a heartbeat (I'm actually considering buying a 2nd pair of these for working out. I bought the GR07 for that purpose, but the sound was so much worse than the EPH-100's I had to return them. Probably something to do with my ear canals that don't play nice with the GR07. Alright sorry, I'm rambling off now.).

Pros: Detailed, thick bass; Clear mids; Circular soundstage; Instrument separation; Build quality; Isolation

Cons: Unusual treble; Unsure cable

I come from a long line of mid-range earphones including the Sennhiser CX300II, Klipsch Image S4, Monster Beats by dr dre Tour, and Monster Jamz. I was looking for an earphone that I can continue producing electronic music on and concluded, by the reviews, that the Yamahas were my best bet. They were not that expensive here in S. Korea, being approximately 124 dollars. I craved prominent bass (not basshead-ish nor Balanced Armanture like; just clear bass), good instrument separation, and good build quality.

First Impressions:

When I first put these in and listened to Below Us by Seven Lions, I was amazed at how clear the bass  rumbles and kick punches me. The mids really bring out the 'bodies' of the bass and warm instruments. The only thing that caught me a little off guard was the treble. The treble felt like it had a high speed lfo (low frequency oscillator) attached to it, giving it a fast, fluctuating, vibrato like tone, strange. These are not-suprisingly tuned a lot like at type of studio monitors that Yamaha makes: the HS80Ms. This is ideal as I can basically have a portable studio now; I no longer have to worry about mastering issues when I produce music!

After 3 days:

After a few days of use, I have now become accustomed to the strange treble and enjoy it. All my music seems to have become smooth. The bass massages me, the mids soothe me, and the rather unique treble gives everything and airy, jazzy feel. I have continued discovering new elements of my music. The soundstage and separation helps this a lot. I find percussion lines and unknown riffs flying here and there in small corners of the headphone. This is very satisfying as I need to be able to hear all the details in my music. The Klipsch Image S4 doesn't hold a stick to these Yamahas as the Klipsch have very low volume levels. The Klipsch would seem more geared towards listening to classic rock music or any other kind of smooth and quiet music. The Yamahas can reproduce anything well except for Classical. The treble seems to be a big factor in preventing the Yamahas ability to reproduce Classical properly. I am not a big fan of Classical and listen and produce mainly Progressive House and Trance, which was not a problem. I expect these to sound even better and have more controlled (stable) bass by the time I reach approximately 100 hours of use. I also expect to be using these for at least 2 years; though I prefer they last me a lifetime.

I would recommend these to anyone within the $100 to $150 range budget!
I would recommend you to buy these if you are an audiophile and if you find this for less than $120!
I would recommend these to anyone who listens to and/or produces EDM (Electronic Dance Music)
I would recommend these to anyone who listens to Jazz or Chillout music.
I wouldn't recommend these to bassheads; these have very clear bass and it goes down low, but in terms of quantity, the Monsters earphones have a little more by sacrificing the mids.
I wouldn't recommend these to treble lovers; they might have trouble adjusting to the strange treble.
I wouldn't recommend these to anyone who listens to Classical; try the Sennhiser IE8/IE80s then, they have a wider soundstage and more 'normal' treble.

Pros: Fantastic bass in every meaning of the word; mids are still forward and not killed by the bass; build quality is A++; fit for me was great

Cons: Treble is hollow and uninteresting; sound is similar to other contenders at lower prices

Incredible bass in quantity, quality, clarity, everything. Easily as good or better than all other contenders at this price range, I don't care who they are. Midrange still has great presence. Sadly, the treble is kind of crummy, and it made me sell them. The treble is worse quality on the EPH-100 than on the Vsonic GR06, while still having a similar sound signature, and the Vsonic GR06 is 1/3 the price. The EPH-100 perform better in all other aspects, including fit and build quality, but only a little; and the treble issue is too much for me to overlook. I guess I'm a bit of a treble-head.

Pros: Build quality, punchy bass, detail

Cons: Possibly long-term comfort

Hi

Basically these are the best £80 I've spent in ages. Coming from a pair of CX300 II's the difference really is night and day, where the Sennheiser's were all undefined mushy bass that drowned everything else, the bass in these Yamaha's is really tight, accurate and punchy. It's powerful but very controlled, so it doesn't cover the rest of the music.

It's a really enjoyable sound, the balance is exactly what I wanted: you get lots of detail and good separation, the treble isn't harsh and the mids are nice and smooth.

They also seem really well built, the aluminium housings are nice and solid and they have a reassuring weight to them.

Would definitely recommend.

Pros: Imaging, detail, responsive and dynamic or engaging sound.

Cons: Fit can be an issue. Weak sub bass.

Read a ton of reviews before purchasing. However, I will be honest and say that I was a bit let down by the bass. Don't get me wrong, its very detailed and balanced and perhaps there lies my issue, I was under the impression that these were more bassy. I am a bit of a basshead, in that, I like to feel it. Obviously, to many these have plenty of bass and the upper bass is there but it diminishes as it gets deeper to my ears which surprised me, again due to reviews. For the vast majority of what I listen to the bass is fine but for electronic stuff there is near zero rumble where there should have been. This could be due to the fact that I cannot insert them but rather rest them inside using the largest tip for a seal which itself is very vague(fit), perhaps due to the thin silicon used. My theory based on other reviews and my findings is that there is simply too much air volume between the driver and my ear drum to get deep bass. Really this is the only thing I have an issue with.

Mids are very engaging. Not recessed at all, nor are they affected by bass bleed. They are not warm or particularly thin but really detailed. I hear things I never noticed before and they kill my old Klipsch X5 BA IEM. This is the earphones strength IMO.

Treble is also really good but not up to the mids level. I am hearing cymbals that I never heard before and they have there own realestate like all the instruments through these things which only helps with detail and complex metal music where everything is loud.

Finally, I am still surprised what a tiny dynamic can do. There is mucho detail but these are on the fun side rather than the analytical side without being too soft or warm. An IEM that makes you want to listen to every album again to see what you missed before. I came from Klipsch X5 and have the SoundMagic HP 100 and they don't approach the Yams for insight and resolution. However, the fit and weak sub bass makes listening to electronic stuff a bit conflicting because they really draw you into the sound with their detail then the sub bass comes and I am left hearing it buried by everything else with zero rumble. I must keep reminding myself that bass is perhaps the most conflicted aspect of sound as everyone has what they think is too much or not enough. That for some audiophiles, apparently being able to actually hear the bass drum is fine and forward bass. Also, many never listen to electronic music where sub bass is a must and therefore don't notice it as much.

Pros: Build Quality / Sound Quality / Value

Cons: Thin Wiry Wire / Not The End All In Detail

Nothing is perfect & these earbuds are certainly a compromise. None the less, they are not too bright, not too boomy, not too recessed, & not too expensive.

The sound is overall rich & smooth; therefore far less fatiguing yet still enjoyable.

Soundstage is lacking, still separation is very good giving impressive imaging [for the device category & price].

Fit is way too personal too recommend for any head spks. Too each their own.

Enjoy!

Pros: Excellent fidelity, great musical detail, classy design

Cons: Slight ear fatigue

The Yamaha EPH-100 surprised me with their excellent fidelity. I already owned a $300 set of Sure SE425s which are also wonderful but fall in the $300 price range and should be. I was so impressed with the performance of the EPH-100s that they are my primary headset. Their performance is at least equivalent to the SE425 and much easier to put on/in (if you're familiar with the twist and insert wire over the ear design from Sure. I do experience some slight ear fatigue but have not yet tried the smallest ear buds which will probably eliminate the fatigue.  I highly recommend the EPH-100s.

Pros: very airy sound, isolation, decent bass,portability, design, built quality

Cons: lack details, microphonics, minimal accessories

Sound quality:
When I  tried the eph-100 for the first time ,  I  can't say there was a "wow factor" ; however they just sounded "fine".

From my cowon player s9, I  tried to play with the different jeteffects to "enhance" the sound, but none of the DSP really  made an interesting difference .Hence , if you don't have any good eq, or DSP  on your mp3 player, you won't miss this with the eph-100.

There's one thing that becomes slowly addicting while listening to the eph-100 :
it's their exceptional airy sound. They sound as open, as open headphones, if not more. At the same they offer great isolation , thing that open headphones can't offer.

To my ears, I can't say that the eph-100 are very detailed, and I would say that through the whole frequency range. To put things in perspective, I would add that the sen IE7  is the only other IEM I'm familiar with, and I'm more used to full sized headphones. I find  that the eph-100 are the opposite of an analytical headphone. They don't provide a feeling of "high resolution": sometimes it's boring, but it can suits well some musics  too. For instance, I  can't really say that I  missed my more detailed full sized headphone, while listening to the box of bruckner symphonies, conducted by maazel.

The eph-100 have an excellent bass: it extends well, and offers impact. But my previous IEM , the sennheiser IE7, still had a better bass (more texture especially). Despite sounding overall neutral , you realize after some listening that there's a hole in the treble. One result, is that the treble is never fatiguing, and  perhaps too laid back. But I  can't say that the treble is completely smooth too. On my computer, boosting the highs with an eq  near 4khz helps to get a more engaging sound.

I would think with their great bass, and non fatiguing highs that the eph-100 would have the main ingredients to seduce mainstream users. I don't find them very detailed, but their great "open" sound make them attractive.

Comfort:
I  love their isolation, much better than for my senn IE7.  Walking with them near roads can be dangerous, there's even a warning in their manual.

I didn't find the ear tips of eph-100 comfy.  If I wear the eph-100 for an extended period of time, this begin to hurt. Often  it's more painful for me to remove the eph-100 than to insert them on my ear.

The eph-100 have microphonics, you need to put the cable around the ears , if you want to move while wearing them.

Built quality & accessories:
The eph-100 are tiny, but their aluminum body looks quite solid. The cable is a bit stiff , but seems robust (it use some elastomer coating). If the cable was less stiff, there would be less microphonics, but the advantage is that it helps to prevent tangling.The accessories are quite minimal: five ear tips for different size, and a pouch.

Finally there's really not much fuss regarding the portability of the eph-100, they are not bulky, and since they are robust,  you can put them with their pouch on your pocket without problems.

Conclusion:
The eph-100 are not perfect, but a combination of factors make  them attractive. I  like , that I  can enjoy a very open sound , while getting isolation at same time. The bass is enough decent for bass heads. And the eph-100 offers great portability too.

Yamaha EPH-100SL Inner-Ear Headphone
By:

The EPH-100 in ear headphones are the result of Yamahaas desire to enable you to hear not only clear music, but the sounds of the performeras breathing or the bassistas plucking of the strings, and even the emotions the artist put into the music. These new-concept headphones use a 6mm (1/4a) diameter super-compact driver to deliver the sound to your ears in pure form. Superb tuning only possible from Yamaha with its long musical instrument and audio experience reproduces every minute detail. With the EPH-100, youall fall in love with your favorite music all over again. The body is formed of precision-shaped aluminum with a finish that is resistant to scratching and corrosion. The design, texture and detailed workmanship convey the sense of luxury of a high quality product. The EPH-100 features a 6mm (1/4a) diameter super-compact driver that can be inserted straighter and closer to the eardrum than ordinary earphones. This allows you to hear pure, low-distortion sound without unwanted sound reflections. You enjoy natural, accurate reproduction with all sound sources. The earpad has a two-part flange; the first part smoothly guides the driver into the ear, and the second fixes the earpad firmly in your ear. Tightly sealed for minimal sound leakage, it lets you enjoy powerful bass sound. The snug fit ensures optimal comfort. You can choose from among five earpad sizes to suit your ear size and preference, ensuring maximum comfort as you enjoy your music. The body is made of high quality aluminum, exceptionally light and hard, it provides a good feel while helping to minimize sound loss. Air outlet holes in the driver unit and exterior adjust sound quality and provide optimum sound emission with sharp definition. When carrying the headphones in your bag or pocket, they are firmly attached to the base of the plug. The smart cable holder prevents tangling so the cable can be smoothly taken out and used. In addition, the cable is made of elastomer material that resists kin

BindingElectronics