Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301 › Reviews › BenF's Review

A great IEM for 30$

A Review On: Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301

Xiaomi Pistons 2.0 MK301

Rated # 22 in Universal Fit
BenF
Posted · Updated · 55264 Views · 4 Comments

Pros: Clear and fun sound, big soundstage

Cons: The buttons are inconvinient, needs replacement tips, may require a CTIA to OMTP adapter, sounds too bassy without modding.

I have the real version 2.0, not 2.1 (with the clip).

Build/Design:

I didn't like the provided tips, used the small Sennheiser tips: http://www.ebay.com/itm/110976313070 - much better.

When I plug the Pistons into Audio-GD NFB-11.32, they sound horrible, unless I pull them back a little.

I resolved this issue by using a CTIA to OMTP adapter that came with Philips SHE3590, which is weird, since none of other headphones need it.

This doesn't happen with FIIO E12.

I hate the buttons placement on the remote - keep pressing wrong buttons.

SQ:

Initially, the Pistons were too bassy, even after a long burn-in period.

I have modded them, removing the screen protector and the foam inside. To keep the drivers protected, I have used a small thin napkin:

The bass cleaned up, and mids and treble stepped forward from behind a curtain.

Now these sound like a baby RE-262.

Recommended for "audiophile bass-heads".

What is the difference between 2.0 and 2.1? Because my pistons had a silver clip in the section with the earbuds.
You've got v2.1.
According to BHazard, it doesn't need to be modded, sounds good as it is.
Hey Ben,
   Did the price you pay for include shipping? I was wondering about that since I got my pair for just $16. DIfference is, it was shipped to my door by land, so yeah.
I paid 27$ with air shipping. 16$ was the price before the hype.