Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Computer Audio › Wyrd USB Decrapifier

Wyrd USB Decrapifier

Rated #73 in Computer Audio

Pros: It does as advertised.

Cons: $120 ($99 @ schiit.com) is a lot to for one purpose.... but so worth it.

Let me preface this review by explaining the issue I was dealing with.

I have always experienced digital noise from, I'm assuming, my poorly grounded laptop. It didn't matter if I used the headphone jacks or my Alessis i02 Express for recording/DAC (poor man's recording/DAC that I totally recommend if you're in a pinch). The noise I'm talking about is not static but rather a dynamic sound that follows closely to what my laptop is doing, for instance, if my fans rev up, I will hear soft glitchy sounds, almost like running water, that speed up and slow down. So basically whenever my laptop does something (download, play a dvd, connect cell phone) there is an audible response over my headphones. That noise has always taken up headroom and it was quite noticeable when I would put in my Westone UM2 IEM's. I honestly didn't think there was a way to clean up the signal so I just lived with it. But then I started getting into Schiit gear....

I got a Valhalla 2 to drive my Beyerdynamic DT880s (600 ohm) more appropriately than my other setup, and the digital noise started driving me mad. So I did what anyone does now-a-days and googled it. That's when I stumbled across the Schiit Wyrd Decrapifier. I was hesitant at first because the reviews were a little mixed about its functionality, but I figured if it doesn't clear up the signal I'll just return it. I received the Wyrd (along with a Modi 2 Uber) from Amazon today. The device installed immediately on my Win7 laptop, and before I switched my setup to the Modi 2 I wanted to see if the Wyrd would clean up the signal on my Alessis i02. It did and it was FANTASTIC! I really couldn't believe my ears, it was like I've been on an airplane this whole time with a constant whirring and churning, but now silence. No noise, no nothing. I had the same results when I put in the Modi 2 in place of the Alessis i02.

If you use USB in your audio setup, and you are experiencing some of the noise issues I talked about then I highly recommend this product. It's built like a metal brick right here in the USA, probably by Thor himself.... joke! But seriously this puts a new light on my listening experience and I just gotta say this Schiit rocks!

My first anything on head-fi.org, so forgive any of my errors.

Wyrd USB Decrapifier

USB Power Isolator So, what the heck is this little thing? Well, it's either the world's most expensive and limited USB hub, or it's the key to eliminating sticky USB audio problems. Simply put, it cleans up your USB connection, eliminating noise and glitches caused by crappy USB power or USB port power management. The Cure for Noise and Glitches Have you ever heard strange noise from your USB DAC? Or have you had it "drop out" after the computer goes to sleep? Or does your computer have trouble recognizing your DAC at all? It could be due to noisy USB power, or USB port power management (very common with Windows 8 and Mac Mavericks.) Improves Sound, Color Printing, Data Stability Just kidding. This is silly. That's like saying charging your iPhone off Wyrd makes the battery last longer. But some listeners say Wyrd improves the sound of their system. We're not going to make any such claims. Nor are we going to recommend it for printers, external USB drives, or iPhone chargers. Works With Any USB DAC Wyrd isn't limited to working with Schiit products. You can use it with any USB DAC-2.0, 1.0, 32/384, whatever-it doesn't care. All it's doing is cleaning up the USB connection, and it supports all USB Audio Standards. Made in USA By "Made in USA," we mean Made in USA. Not "we just put in the last screw and said, 'Assembled in USA.'" The vast majority of the total production cost of Wyrd-chassis, boards, assembly, etc-goes to USA companies manufacturing in the USA. 2-Year Warranty Wyrd is covered by a limited warranty that covers parts and labor for 2 years.

BindingElectronics
BrandSchiit
ColorSilver
EAN0640265321429
FeatureUSB Power Isolator The Cure for Noise and Glitches- Have you ever heard strange noise from your USB DAC? Or have you had it "drop out" after the computer goes to sleep? Or does your computer have trouble recognizing your DAC at all? It could be due to noisy USB power, or USB port power management (very common with Windows 8 and Mac Mavericks.) Improves Sound, Color Printing, Data Stability- Just kidding. This is silly. That's like saying charging your iPhone off Wyrd makes the battery last longer. But some listeners say Wyrd improves the sound of their system. We're not going to make any such claims. Nor are we going to recommend it for printers, external USB drives, or iPhone chargers. Works With Any USB DAC- Wyrd isn't limited to working with Schiit products. You can use it with any USB DAC-2.0, 1.0, 32/384, whatever-it doesn't care. All it's doing is cleaning up the USB connection, and it supports all USB Audio Standards. Made in USA- By "Made in USA," we mean Made in USA. Not "we just put in the last screw and said, 'Assembled in USA.'" The vast majority of the total production cost of Wyrd-chassis, boards, assembly, etc-goes to USA companies manufacturing in the USA.
LabelSchiit Audio