Head-Fi.org › Head Gear › Headphones › In-Ear › Universal Fit › WESTONE UM2 TRUE FIT DUAL DRIVER EARPHONES UM 2

WESTONE UM2 TRUE FIT DUAL DRIVER EARPHONES UM 2

Rated #163 in Universal Fit

Pros: Great sounding, Variety of tips, Removable Cable, Fantastic Isolation (Up to 25 dB)

Cons: Incredibly dodgy build quality

This is my first review and I'm not an audiophile so bear with me. And due to my incredibly bad writing, this could be short. I had this earphone for about 2 weeks now. And during those 2 weeks, I've been listening to Jazz, Rock, Pop, Indie, Techno, and a little Dubstep via a ROTEL CD Player to a PIONEER A400AMP.

Ok, the design is a love it or hate it thing (In my opinion). They were meant for the Studio use. Its a clear shell and with the driver exposed. I personally like it. Cause it looks very professional, low profile and not in-your-face like Beats. The Cable is a black made from plastic. They are removable. And they're supposed to go behind your back and into your source for instance your iPod. Overall I like the design of the Westone UM2 RC.

Build Quality

Now on to build quality. Dodgy. That is what I can say. Even though it can take a few punching but one strong hit like dropping it on the floor will destroy the IEM. Or that's my case. I dropped them when I was walking around town. And the left driver broke. The cable is good. Thin, soft and does not make much cable noise. The jack could be a problem for some people. I couldn't get the 3.5mm jack into my HTC One X with the case on. So, you have to be really careful about this pair of IEMs.

Comfort/ Isolation

Westone is very generous to provide a wide range of tips for maximum comfort and isolation. They provided 3 Pair of Rubber Tips, 3 Pair of Silicone Tips, 1 Pair of Triple Flange and 3 Pair of Comply Foam. I find the Rubber Tips were the best fitting for me cause whenever I insert the Comply tips, it tends to get itchy and sometimes hard to reinsert. Triple Flange was ok, it did its job. But wasn't too impressed. Silicone wasn't very good in anyway, could have been the worse. Couldn't get a seal and hard as rock. I recommend you go with the Rubber Tips. Now, Westone claim that these will block up to 25dB of ambient noise. And they do! I was on a flight, and during that flight, I was using the IEMs. When I inserted them into my ear, I could hear the plane's engine noise just slightly. When you start playing music, your in your own little bubble.

Sound Quality

Fantastic. They have 2 armature driver with passive crossover. The Mids were nice and bright with a little bit of colouring which I prefer. Wasn't much Soundstage as you were to expect with Studio Monitors but my god they have incredible instrument separation. Highs were nice crisp and plenty of detail. And sometimes when I'm listening to Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon Album, I often feel that they're singing right next to me. This shows how detailed they are. Finally, the Lows. Deep, punchy, rich and doesn't cover Highs and Mids. Listening to Rock with these headphones gives you an extra "Umph" to your listening experience. But this doesn't score in Techno/Dubstep region. You might prefer getting the Sony MDR-XB500 or get an AMP to boost.

Overall Impressions

Well I was quite impressed with the sound quality and wasn't too impressed with the build quality. In fact, I changed them twice and it still breaks. You get a balanced IEM with fantastic quality. Go for it, you couldn't go wrong with these. But if you prefer analytical listening, you would be better off with the Shure SE425. They have better soundstage but very light on the bass region.

PS: This is an honest review, some of you may agree and some will not. Leave a comment on what do you think about this review. THANKS FOR READING TILL THE END. YOU ARE AWSOME.

Pros: built like a brick shithouse, good soundstage

Cons: isolation, price

I lost these on the train, and boy was I sad.

UM2 are good phones, the best thing about Westone is their almost legendary build quality. Make no mistake, these puppies are built to last: strain relief out the woozah, and a thick plastic housing that looks and feels tough. Westone's braided cables are also the best cables I've used; low microphonic and very tangle free.

Comfort is also great on these phones, like wearing nothing at all - especially with the supplied comply tips. However I did find - for my ears - that only the long comply tips provided significant isolation. Isolation with other tips was very average - these phones don't go very deep - and comply tips are so expensive that was not a habit I was going to get into.

Soundwise these are good, though since have been outclassed by other phones on the market. The soundstage is large and airy, and they have a lovely, warm bass to them.

A good phone - albeit a bit outdated now.

WESTONE UM2 TRUE FIT DUAL DRIVER EARPHONES UM 2

Built to the highest professional standards, the dual balanced armature driver UM2 provides amazing low frequency response and rich articulate mids and highs. Using the same technology as custom ES2, the UM2 is the earpiece of choice for music lovers desiring high-end Westone sound quality at an affordable price. The comfortable Comply foam tips allow for extended use without fatigue. Providing up to 25 dB of ambient noise reduction, the UM2 is the perfect choice for on-stage performing or for personal listening. Equipped with a durable 50" stereo "Y" cord and a 3.5mm stereo jack, the UM2 is also perfect for personal audio devices such as MP3s, CD players, and laptop computers. The UM2 Universal Monitor is the most affordable dual driver earphone on the market.

BindingElectronics
BrandWestone
ColorCLEAR
EAN0602353001965
FeatureEquipped with a durable 50" stereo "Y" cord and a 3.5mm stereo jack, the UM2 is also perfect for personal audio devices
Height0.18 inches